+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Security Clearance

bctech

Jun 26, 2017
I just finished my citizenship test yesterday. During the interview, the lady told me that they still haven't got my security clearance yet. I asked her how long would that take. She said "5 months because of a huge backlog". Does everyone experience that or is this just me? My impression is that the whole process after citizenship test is fairly fast.

Thank you!

Reactions: Freeace22

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
The process after the test is fast only if all other checks are complete. Often people are invited to their test while other checks are still in progress, in which case the timing of the subsequent steps is much harder to predict.

Some other people on the forum mentioned that, during the interview, the officer mentioned there are delays in getting security clearances, so you're not alone on that front.

muk5477

Star Member
Mar 19, 2016
I just finished my citizenship test yesterday. During the interview, the lady told me that they still haven't got my security clearance yet. I asked her how long would that take. She said "5 months because of a huge backlog". Does everyone experience that or is this just me? My impression is that the whole process after citizenship test is fairly fast.

Thank you!
We are waiting since last month
Where did you test

Danielnases

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018

Thank you!
any updates?

sherych

Oct 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ott-Pilot Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2012
Doc's Request.
01-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-09-2012
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Request
16-08-2013
Med's Done....
22-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
3-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2013
LANDED..........
29-11-2013

Thank you!
I did the test in Vancouver on March 12, and am still waiting. I believe there are people who did the test as early as january. In any case, if we are to wait 5 month now... oh well. I guess it's more like 4 month for me now. We can't do anything about it, perhaps the clearances became a bottleneck for the process and there is a backlog. I am sure in due time all will get resolved. Regardless, wishing everyone a speedy processing! good luck to all!

bctech

Jun 26, 2017
I am still waiting. From what I have read CSIS is currently pretty bogged down by all the requests. Some have been waiting for 10months +. So be patient and set expectations low?

Reactions: Pcanadian

Jass.5k

Apr 7, 2018
I am still waiting. From what I have read CSIS is currently pretty bogged down by all the requests. Some have been waiting for 10months +. So be patient and set expectations low?
why is that some people had to go for security checks and some not !?
does the officer decides during the interview once looking at people faces if this person must go on a check and the other person with a nice smile is not going on security check and here a DM ,
I know people still on security check for the last 3 months and never traveled out the country and never had problems with security and other people with too much history problems and got DM
how does it work ?

Reactions: Ziad S.

bctech

Jun 26, 2017
That part I couldn't be certain. It sounds like a combination of travel history, the nationality, even similarity between the candidates' names and the ones in their database. I honestly cannot answer this with certainty. I was told that if the process exceed 13 months (not uncommon in cases) you can request their notes and see what's going on.

Reactions: rose77

Pcanadian

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
That makes sense as IRCC has prepared itself before c6 coming into effect but other ministries didn't.

bctech

Jun 26, 2017
I heard they are approaching the 100-day mark on average. So good luck guys. If anyone gets DM earlier, congrats!

bctech

Jun 26, 2017
Wow! That is long. I wonder why some of us have to go through this security clearance. I hope you get your DM soon.
The lady who interviewed me told me there is a backlog for security clearance given the surge of applications after the rule change. So stay hopeful

Likewise you get your dm soon as well.

Reactions: atlepol