+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Background In Progress

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
[What] does it mean, "Background Verification Completed"? Does it mean, criminality is completed? Does it mean, security screening is completed? Or does it mean both criminality AND security are completed?
Does not mean much at all. In particular it is not information an applicant can use to make decisions or to forecast what will happen next let alone indicate when that will happen.

It typically refers to the two formal clearances being noted as complete in the applicant's file. That is, the RCMP criminality clearance and the CSIS security clearance. To some extent it might be considered something of a clue that there is not any non-routine background screening taking place. But the vast, vast majority of applicants can be confident of that without knowing what is in their file in regards to either criminality screening or CSIS security screening. As I posted (slightly edited) in another thread just yesterday:

While we do not know the actual numbers, for many and probably MOST applicants who apprehend that progress in processing their citizenship application is waiting on a background check, processing the application is NOT really waiting for (dependent on) a background check. Even when the client support centre agents tell applicants the next step in processing the application is waiting for a background check or clearance, that may be technically correct but is misleading, since usually the next step is actually waiting for the responsible IRCC processing agent to take the file from the queue and act on it. (At which time receipt of the clearances from RCMP (criminality) and CSIS (security) will be noted and checked off as complete -- for the vast majority of applicants these clearances are routine, done by referral and processed in parallel with the processing of the citizenship application itself; they do not, not ordinarily, result in delaying application processing.)​

It appears that @Isaga may be confusing or conflating other background screening with the formal RCMP and CSIS clearances.

Background verification is for BOTH. in many cases security takes long time to clear, because it's done by CSIS, CBSA etc.
The formal clearances are done, respectively by RCMP and CSIS. These are required. These are routine. Only a small percentage of applicants encounter any delay in either of these being completed. Almost all those among the exceptions are aware of it and have a good idea why, no need to see what is in the version of GCMS records clients get to see and, indeed, the GCMS records shared with the client are not likely to reveal much if anything about this.

However, background checks comprise a LOT, LOT more than the formal clearances from the RCMP (as to criminality) and CSIS (as to security). Non-routine background screening, for example, is often done by the CBSA's NSSD (CBSA's "National Security Screening Division"), by referral, which can include not only criminality and security related checks, but also investigations into the physical presence claims made by the applicant, among other matters such as misrepresentation, screening applicants who are PR-refugees for potential reavailment, or other issues potentially affecting the applicant's PR status itself.

Can anybody who knows the subject matter give me a clear answer?
Overall: REMEMBER that in addition to the substance of any investigation, the manner and method of investigating applicants is among the most carefully kept confidential or secret information. Any real information about background screening is redacted from versions of records disclosed to clients.

Which is to say there is a lot of behind-the-curtains stuff, so no, no one can really give you a clear answer as to the status of your background checks . . . regardless what your copy of GCMS records shows, or what a call centre agent says.

Also Note: There is a GCMS background check (the third formal clearance required) done EACH and EVERY time any action is taken on a citizenship application. This includes at least screening of criminal name-records, which for sure includes U.S. NCIC (FBI) name-record databases as well as RCMP. This is typically done even AFTER there is a decision made, done attendant scheduling the now "candidate" (once there is a decision made approving the grant of citizenship the "applicant" becomes a "candidate") for the oath.

The latter is especially worth noting because it illustrates that even when the applicant's file shows "Background Verification Completed" or something similar, that is NO guarantee the applicant is fully cleared for a grant of citizenship. It is, in practical terms, a contingent status, subject to change or reconsideration. This is a significant part of why that does NOT mean much to the applicant.

Well, except, again it is a clue that non-routine background screening is not likely happening. Which would be good news except that it should not be news at all. Most applicants know their own background and what they have reported in the application (and in previous transactions with CBSA and IRCC) well enough to be confident there are no *issues* with their application, enough to be confident there is little or no likelihood of non-routine background screening.

Indeed, in contrast, if the applicant has reason to worry (based on what the applicant knows, recognizing that applicants know far more about their background et al than anyone else in the world, including any IRCC, CBSA, RCMP, or CSIS officials) the application could get bogged down in non-routine background screening, unless the applicant is aware the application has already gone through more extensive, non-routine background scrutiny, then the file showing "Background Verification Completed" or something similar is actually rather little assurance there is not going to be some additional background screening ahead.

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
Hey guys my citizenship test is showing as complete in the new tracker. Took the test two days ago online. Background check is in progress still. I’m from the June 2021 cohort most people have BC check complete relatively soon after in progress. Should I be worried.

im2kool

Star Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hey guys my citizenship test is showing as complete in the new tracker. Took the test two days ago online. Background check is in progress still. I’m from the June 2021 cohort most people have BC check complete relatively soon after in progress. Should I be worried.
Don't worry if you don't have any bad record. I think for some ppl IRCC triggers detailed BG check which takes some time.

Reactions: Aspiring Canadian

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
Is there a background check for children on the citizenship process? (he is 12 years old)
NO, no Background check will be conducted for children under 18 year Old. There is a Lot of paper work and consents required if they would like to, so they will avoid it.

Daasnamher

Star Member
Aug 9, 2021
Hello, was your background check completed? I'm in the same situation :(

Daasnamher

Star Member
Aug 9, 2021
Anyone in the same boat where test is complete and BG check still in progress ? How long did it take for BG check to be completed batter test?

MajdB

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016
Ok got an update. My thought was correct. Criminality is done but security in progress. So people who see in progress for a long time are targeted by in depth screening. Unfortunately this process is long. It’s not clear why I am going through this again while I went through the same in depth screening 2 years ago for my pr application. Very disappointed and I believe this is an abuse. I will consult with a lawyer. I don’t want to wait years.
Hello @umanitoba , any updates on the security screening for your application?

MajdB

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016

Hello Aspiring Canadian , any updates on the security screening for your application?

ROCK ON

Sep 20, 2021
Hello Forum Members

Sharing my application details

Application : Single, ONLINE
Physical Presence : 1100 days
Application sent and received : September 27, 2021.
AOR : December 15, 2021
In Progress : December 16, 2021

Processing Office : Scarborough

Test - Completed [(Invite - June 6, 2022) (Window - June 10 to June 30, 2022) (Attempt - June 10, 2022) (Completed - June 15, 2022)]

Background Check - In Progress (Security - Done, Criminality - In Progress)
Prohibitions - In Progress
Physical Presence - In Progress
Language - In Progress
Oath Ceremony - Not Started

If anybody else is experiencing the similar situation or has experienced the same in the past or experienced by someone you know, kindly share your views.

Regards

ROCK ON

Sep 20, 2021
Hello Forum Members

Sharing my application details

Application : Single, ONLINE
Physical Presence : 1100 days
Application sent and received : September 27, 2021.
AOR : December 15, 2021
In Progress : December 16, 2021

Processing Office : Scarborough

Test - Completed [(Invite - June 6, 2022) (Window - June 10 to June 30, 2022) (Attempt - June 10, 2022) (Completed - June 15, 2022)]

Background Check - In Progress (Security - Done, Criminality - In Progress)
Prohibitions - In Progress
Physical Presence - In Progress
Language - In Progress
Oath Ceremony - Not Started

If anybody else is experiencing the similar situation or has experienced the same in the past or experienced by someone you know, kindly share your views.

Regards
Hello Everyone

No one replied to my post. Kindly share your views. Would be grateful.

Jakke

Star Member
Nov 6, 2021
Hello Everyone

No one replied to my post. Kindly share your views. Would be grateful.
From what you post, you applied at the end of last year, and you application is being processed in a fairly standard manner. What exactly is it that you wish to know?

Reactions: ROCK ON

ROCK ON

Sep 20, 2021
From what you post, you applied at the end of last year, and you application is being processed in a fairly standard manner. What exactly is it that you wish to know?
Thank you for your reply. As per most of the threads and discussion pages, background check is usually updated to completed or fingerprint request before or during the test window. Whereas in my case, only test is completed (been 3 months) and everything else is in progress. Is it normal ?

naten

Feb 20, 2018
Thank you for your reply. As per most of the threads and discussion pages, background check is usually updated to completed or fingerprint request before or during the test window. Whereas in my case, only test is completed (been 3 months) and everything else is in progress. Is it normal ?
they are waiting for your security to be complete, without it, they can't move anything further. I also noticed your local office is Scarborough. How did you know it? is it from the test invite email?

Reactions: ROCK ON