+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Background In Progress

umanitoba

May 30, 2015
Hi all,
I have started this thread to share our experience regarding Background in progress status in the new tracking tool while seems that most people have that completed. My application was submitted early May 2020 and yet my background in progress. The call centre mentioned background is in progress since Dec!!! No idea what’s happening! my spouse background is already completed. I have ordered GCMS notes from IRCC and CSIS to see what’s going on.
Please share your experience here.

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
IMO you can compare the History with your Spouse, if the same history like travel and other parameters it should be fine, mostly people with travel history gets more time to get the verification cleared.

We sent Family of 3 , and the Background verification was in Progress on 7th May and 11 th may it shows completed for My wife and myself, but the child application it is still in progress.

Wait for the GCMS notes w,that could give more detailed information whats happening.

GokulGuruprasad

Oct 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
Hi all,
I have started this thread to share our experience regarding Background in progress status in the new tracking tool while seems that most people have that completed. My application was submitted early May 2020 and yet my background in progress. The call centre mentioned background is in progress since Dec!!! No idea what’s happening! my spouse background is already completed. I have ordered GCMS notes from IRCC and CSIS to see what’s going on.
Based on the new tracking tool my application was BG Completed on 22-April-2021 (in the meantime, I received an FP request)
I'd submitted on 03-Mar-2020 or something like that.
Given that mine took 13 months, I'd say you have a month or so two go before you should expect anything.

umanitoba

May 30, 2015
IMO you can compare the History with your Spouse, if the same history like travel and other parameters it should be fine, mostly people with travel history gets more time to get the verification cleared.

We sent Family of 3 , and the Background verification was in Progress on 7th May and 11 th may it shows completed for My wife and myself, but the child application it is still in progress.

Wait for the GCMS notes w,that could give more detailed information whats happening.
No travel history, studied and lived here around 10 years. I do have federal security clearance because of my job. They randomly send people to comprehensive security screening and it’s a long process. Based on my experience during or application this is a very long process.

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015
Hi all,
I'm Sep 2020 applicant and in same situation. Others in Nov 2020 had their BG check done. I know a friend who has similar travel history as mine got BG done while mine is still in progress. Its anyone's guess at this point. Nothing can be done until due process takes its course.

umanitoba

May 30, 2015
I'm Sep 2020 applicant and in same situation. Others in Nov 2020 had their BG check done. I know a friend who has similar travel history as mine got BG done while mine is still in progress. Its anyone's guess at this point. Nothing can be done until due process takes its course.
The process may take longer that you think. Before covid the process was more than one year. I wouldn’t wait for that long. I had this painful experience during my pr as well and only mandamus helped.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Detailed background checks are not just based on travel history. IMO, it is also based on your name and other factors. If you have a rather common name and there is a name hit in a criminal/security database (like RCMP/CSIS/Interpol etc), then you might be selected for additional checks just to make sure you are not the person listed in one of those databases.

Reactions: dpenabill

umanitoba

May 30, 2015
Detailed background checks are not just based on travel history. IMO, it is also based on your name and other factors. If you have a rather common name and there is a name hit in a criminal/security database (like RCMP/CSIS/Interpol etc), then you might be selected for additional checks just to make sure you are not the person listed in one of those databases.
Trust me it’s really base on nothing than luck. It’s like a lottery. Today i was talking a friend of mine with many travel outside of canada over the recent years, got his citizenship in 10 months.

Isaga

Star Member
May 26, 2019
BG check takes very, I'm mean VERY long time for security clearance. I completed my test in March 2020 and my background IP ever since.
Other applicants here in the forum are also within that range, waiting for BG to be completed since early 2020.
Painful, but nothing can be done about it.

PyrocasterX90

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 24th 2014
Doc's Request.
N/a
Nomination.....
Jan 26th 2014
AOR Received.
N/a
IELTS Request
With application
File Transfer...
N/a
Med's Request
May 6th
Med's Done....
May 26th, ECAS TLU - July 8th
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Hey folks, anyone have their ‘Prohibitions’ as ‘in-progress’? How is this different from ‘Background Verification’?

Reactions: Toronto1971

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015
If that is the case, just FYI, I got my PR approved within 2 months. At this point, its anyone's guess purely!

Trust me it’s really base on nothing than luck. It’s like a lottery. Today i was talking a friend of mine with many travel outside of canada over the recent years, got his citizenship in 10 months.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
If that is the case, just FYI, I got my PR approved within 2 months. At this point, its anyone's guess purely!
People get added to police database all the time. Those databases are not static. When you applied for your PR, no one who has your name or a similar name with a similar year of birth might have been in the database. Since then, they might have added someone who has a similar name/dob to the DB and that might have prompted additional checks.

We don't know for sure but that is the likely scenario.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hey folks, anyone have their ‘Prohibitions’ as ‘in-progress’? How is this different from ‘Background Verification’?
I have my prohibitions in progress and my background checks were completed on March 9th.

I don't think they are any different. May be the LVO checks the clearance report one last time before issuing oath invite to double-check everything is good.

From what the applicants are saying - Language, Physical Presence and Prohibitions are all set to completed after the test results are verified. A few days after that, Oath is set to "In Progress" and you get an oath invite.

Reactions: candyman321

umanitoba

May 30, 2015
I found this important information in cic operational manual: interesting based in this csis clearance is valid for 4 years, so technically my clearance from pr should be still valid!!!

source:https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/adult.html#s03

Clearances
The applicant must not be subject to the prohibitions contained in sections 21 and 22 of the Act.
Applicant must pass all clearances: immigration, criminality (RCMP) and security (CSIS).
The CPC-S initiates all clearances. Validity for clearances is as indicated below.
  • Immigration: one year
  • Criminality: one year
  • Security: four year

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

umanitoba

May 30, 2015
I found this important information in cic operational manual: interesting based in this csis clearance is valid for 4 years, so technically my clearance from pr should be still valid!!!

source:https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/adult.html#s03

Clearances
The applicant must not be subject to the prohibitions contained in sections 21 and 22 of the Act.
Applicant must pass all clearances: immigration, criminality (RCMP) and security (CSIS).
The CPC-S initiates all clearances. Validity for clearances is as indicated below.
  • Immigration: one year
  • Criminality: one year
  • Security: four year
So based on this everyone should receive csis clearance for citizenship, so why in our case it take more time? Anyone got csis notes?