+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

HELP2012 said:
Dear Leon and anyone who can help, I just received my PR through my canadian husband, but the only problem now is that our son's proof of citizen certificate is not out yet, even though we applied for this in May last year already.
My PR visa will expire by the 18 th of September 2014 already as my medicals will expire then.
We have however gone ahead an asked for a visitors visa for our son just so I can get to canada before the 18th to finalize my PR visa, do you think we have done the right think? Or can we still apply for our son's emergency passport? He's still under 2.

Does he have a good chance to get a visitors visa in his South African Passport?

Looking forward to your advises with many thanks
1. They should issue a Facilitation visa not an ordinary visitor visa, as the child is a Canadian citizen.

HELP2012

May 28, 2012
Dear PMM, many thanks for your reply, but how do I go about submitting this facilitating visa? I have paid for the visitors visa which I believe the fees aren't the same, our son already has an ID number or UCI number, could we perhaps apply for an emergency passport? We have bought our plane ticket already for the 14th of September, I feel so lost now... Phew! :'(

HELP2012

May 28, 2012
I submitted our son's application today, since Monday us a public holiday, the will only deal with this on Tuesday... Less time for us!

HELP2012

May 28, 2012
Let me not annoy people in this forum for questions already answered, but how long does it take to apply for a temporary canadian passport, n how does one go about it especially when the child hasn't received his proof of citizenship? My son is still under two n I presume he qualify if what I have read around here is correct...

Reactions: Rich4bright

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
HELP2012 said:
Let me not annoy people in this forum for questions already answered, but how long does it take to apply for a temporary canadian passport, n how does one go about it especially when the child hasn't received his proof of citizenship? My son is still under two n I presume he qualify if what I have read around here is correct...
A Canadian passport can be done in a day or two if there is urgent need. Fill out the regular child passport app, including proof that you have applied for the citizenship app. Take it in person to the consulate and explain the situation.

chenh

Aug 26, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
There is no special application for a temporary passport; use the regular passport application.
My wife called the office in Taiwan-Taipei and they told her that there is no such thing as a temporary passport, we have to use the regular passport application (as what you suggested) and it will take 1 month to process (the passport is good for 2 years - regular). I am very confused, why on Canadian Immigration website it says there is temporary passport, but Taiwan's office says no? Also, if the application process for both are the same then what is really different? I mean we can always pay more to get our application processed faster, so what a temporary passport application is really different than a normal passport? Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
chenh said:
My wife called the office in Taiwan-Taipei and they told her that there is no such thing as a temporary passport, we have to use the regular passport application (as what you suggested) and it will take 1 month to process (the passport is good for 2 years - regular). I am very confused, why on Canadian Immigration website it says there is temporary passport, but Taiwan's office says no? Also, if the application process for both are the same then what is really different? I mean we can always pay more to get our application processed faster, so what a temporary passport application is really different than a normal passport? Thanks.
The difference is the requirement for proof of citizenship. The normal passport application process requires proof of citizenship, whereas the other requires proof that you've applied for the child's citizenship.

I suggest you go to the office in person. Show them the CIC website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp, as well as the explanation given on a few other sites, like here http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/italy-italie/consular_services_consulaires/passportsfornewborn_passeportsnourrisson.aspx?lang=eng.

crocdile

Nov 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can someone help me with the Identification requirements? I sent the application for a 2 months girl but they returned because I didn't add ID. I am wondering how people do this or I really have to apply for the US passport and a Non driver license for a 2 months baby?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
crocdile said:
Can someone help me with the Identification requirements? I sent the application for a 2 months girl but they returned because I didn't add ID. I am wondering how people do this or I really have to apply for the US passport and a Non driver license for a 2 months baby?
You may have to apply for a US passport. I had to submit copies of US passport, social security card and US birth certificate to get Canadian citizenship certificate for my kids. They do need some kind of photo ID from a government issued ID and the US passport met this requirement.

Screech339

HELP2012

May 28, 2012
Hi guys thanks for your help, I went to the consulate, they said they could do an emergency passport for my son but now the problem is my son's South African unabridged birth certificate doesn't show the canadian parent's details as it was a rule here in South Africa back last year, so why did CIC accept our application for proof of citizenship if they saw that the canadian parent's details didn't show on the papers, why didn't they they request even a DNA test then?? We're really out of ideas now...

Thanks again everyone for your much helpful inputs

tommyn79

Star Member
Jan 28, 2013
Hi there.. my child was born in Vietnam a few days ago, and my wife will submit the application for proof of Canadian citizen at the Canadian embassy in Vietnam.

My question is .. If CIC requires us to do the DNA test, then do I have to travel to Vietnam to bring my child to the designated labs that CIC want me to go? Or, my wife can bring my child to one of the designated labs in Vietnam for taking DNA samples, then CIC will tell me to go to the designated labs in Canada to take DNA samples .. then they will do the comparison of the results from the 2 labs.

Please give me some info about the DNA testing process, so I can be prepared .. Thanks

elany

Sep 29, 2014
Hello,
I am a Canadian Citizen and my Husband is an Indian Citizen. I have a Canadian Passport with a PIO card, and my husband has an Indian Passport. We have a daughter 5 months old, and we are applying for an Indian Passport, as we are both residing in India only. I will need to visit Canada for a couple weeks, and need to take my daughter with me. Will I need to apply for a Canadian Visa for her? If so, what category do i use? Also, if we want to visit the US while in Canada, do I need to apply for a US Visa for her also before coming?

I hope I can get some clear answers for this - I will need to travel soon.

Thank you so much

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
elany said:
Hello,
I am a Canadian Citizen and my Husband is an Indian Citizen. I have a Canadian Passport with a PIO card, and my husband has an Indian Passport. We have a daughter 5 months old, and we are applying for an Indian Passport, as we are both residing in India only. I will need to visit Canada for a couple weeks, and need to take my daughter with me. Will I need to apply for a Canadian Visa for her? If so, what category do i use? Also, if we want to visit the US while in Canada, do I need to apply for a US Visa for her also before coming?
Hi

You've left it pretty late if you are travelling within a few weeks. This is something you should have sorted out months ago. Your child cannot just travel to Canada on an Indian passport.

If you were born in Canada or are a naturalized Canadian, then your child is Canadian as well. You must apply for her Certificate of Citizenship; once that is submitted, you can apply for a limited validity Canadian passport for her. The only other option would be a Facilitation Visa in her Indian passport; I'm not very familiar with the process or how long it takes.

If you were born outside of Canada to Canadian parents, then your child is not Canadian. You would need to apply for a TRV for her.

If you can get her a Canadian passport, she can travel to the US without a visa. If she only has an Indian passport, she will need a US visa.

Scotscouple83

Oct 19, 2014
Hi all,

New here and have a question.

I was born in Scotland in 1979, my mum(deceased) was Scottish and my dad is Canadian not born in Canada but a citizen.

There's no mention of my dad on my birth certificate but I'm in touch with him now and he's willing to help. Can I apply for citizenship? Or what's my best/next move?

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
Scotscouple83 said:
Hi all,

New here and have a question.

I was born in Scotland in 1979, my mum(deceased) was Scottish and my dad is Canadian not born in Canada but a citizen.

There's no mention of my dad on my birth certificate but I'm in touch with him now and he's willing to help. Can I apply for citizenship? Or what's my best/next move?
If he's not on your BC I'm going to say you would want to follow their protocol for a DNA test:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/admin/id/parent.asp