+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

Scotscouple83

Oct 19, 2014
I'm looking into the possibility to have him added to my birth certificate, seems it may be possible but I'll visit my local registry office and ask the question.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Scotscouple83 said:
Hi all,

New here and have a question.

I was born in Scotland in 1979, my mum(deceased) was Scottish and my dad is Canadian not born in Canada but a citizen.

There's no mention of my dad on my birth certificate but I'm in touch with him now and he's willing to help. Can I apply for citizenship? Or what's my best/next move?
If your birth father was a naturalized Canadian citizen when you were born, then you are a Canadian citizen. However, it is normally necessary that you produce a birth certificate showing the name of your Canadian parent. I would suggest that you look into re-registering your birth to add your father's name: http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/regscot/re-registration-of-birth-or-still-birth.html

If that isn't possible for some reason, there may be the possibility of using DNA to prove parentage. I see this in a consular manual (http://www.orangellp.ca/news-events/cic-manuals-cp15-guide-to-citizenship-ceremonies):

"The following documents can be accepted to establish parentage between a child and a parent who is a Canadian citizen:
the child's birth certificate showing the name of the child and the name of the parent; or
results of a DNA test prepared by a company that has been accredited by the Standards Council of Canada and whose results are accepted by CIC."

If you need to go the DNA route, start by contacting the Canadian High Commission in London. (There's also an Honorary Consul in Edinburgh.)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Scotscouple83 said:
I was born in Scotland in 1979, my mum(deceased) was Scottish and my dad is Canadian not born in Canada but a citizen.
How and when did he become a citizen? If he was naturalized as a Canadian citizen after you were born, you don't qualify for citizenship.

Scotscouple83

Oct 19, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
How and when did he become a citizen? If he was naturalized as a Canadian citizen after you were born, you don't qualify for citizenship.
I would need to ask him but as far as I know it was before I was born.

nike5

Star Member
May 13, 2014
i have a question, urgent help is needed

my wife received her passports with visa. but my son did not get the visa. islambad sent back his passport empty.
he is a canadian citizen because of me. i have applied for his poof of citizenship which will take time. but for now he needs to travel with his mom.

they did not say anything y they did not stamp his passports nor they endorsed him on mothers passport. my wife only got the visa.

he was added onto the file now nothing. this is so irritating. please help what should i do? i need some travel document for my son as well to so they ca get on that plane.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
nike5 said:
they did not say anything y they did not stamp his passports nor they endorsed him on mothers passport. my wife only got the visa.

he was added onto the file now nothing. this is so irritating. please help what should i do? i need some travel document for my son as well to so they ca get on that plane.
As your child is canadian, he couldn't be added to your wife's file. They couldn't put a visa in his passport and you should not have even submitted it.

At this point, your options depend on how old your child is. If your child is under the age of 2, you can apply for a limited validity Canadian passport with proof that you've submitted the Certificate if Citizenship app. If the child is over 2 years old, you must submit a Facilitation visa application.

nike5

Star Member
May 13, 2014
canuck_in_uk said:
As your child is canadian, he couldn't be added to your wife's file. They couldn't put a visa in his passport and you should not have even submitted it.

At this point, your options depend on how old your child is. If your child is under the age of 2, you can apply for a limited validity Canadian passport with proof that you've submitted the Certificate if Citizenship app. If the child is over 2 years old, you must submit a Facilitation visa application.
no they did not say anything. they should have atleast told me what to to do. i sent my sons docs long time back to london. even the family chart they sent me to fill out with ppr 1 i did put my son. but nothing. they should have atleast made his travel doc and send it along. as far as i know no many people go for that limited validity passport for the child. if that was the case they should have told me. it does not say on cic web either.

i have emailed london lets see what they say. i was expecting some doc with my wife passport so the child can travel or some endorsement on my wifes passport but nothing and no comment from them. thats y its irritating.

you know whats pissing me off is that i came to pak to get my family and i have 15 days left to go back. if they push me to make his passport thats another month.
so im hoping london will send some docs for him to travel.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
nike5 said:
no they did not say anything. they should have atleast told me what to to do. i sent my sons docs long time back to london. even the family chart they sent me to fill out with ppr 1 i did put my son. but nothing. they should have atleast made his travel doc and send it along. as far as i know no many people go for that limited validity passport for the child. if that was the case they should have told me. it does not say on cic web either.

i have emailed london lets see what they say. i was expecting some doc with my wife passport so the child can travel or some endorsement on my wifes passport but nothing and no comment from them. thats y its irritating.

you know whats pissing me off is that i came to pak to get my family and i have 15 days left to go back. if they push me to make his passport thats another month.
so im hoping london will send some docs for him to travel.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp

jcud

Oct 26, 2014
Hi everyone,

Looking for some help. I am a Canadian citizen who has been living in China for 4 years with my wife, who is a Canadian permanent resident. We had a child last month and have decided that it is time to return to Canada. I will be returning in the first week of november to look for/start work. However, our child does not have his proof of Canadian citizenship or his limited validity passport. i cannot wait the more than 10 months for the proof of citizenship and then the passport. I have been told that in order to apply for the limited passport in a rush, I need to show air travel tickets for the three of us. Is this true? How can I buy 2 extra plane tickets for my wife and son before i have either the job or the passport for my son? I would greatly appreciate if someone could clarify this for me!

Thanks, James

Donvalley

Oct 14, 2013
Toronto - Downtown
Visa Office......
................. [b]e-CAS[/b] (electronic Client Application Status) login : http://goo.gl/dQFOk
NOC Code......
................. [b]How to login e-cas[/b] using client ID: http://imgbox.com/hhIMgYf5
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
................. [b]Case Specific Enquiry[/b]: http://goo.gl/yCBCbB
If your family is not accompanying you, then what is the rush? You can apply as normal now and when you are ready with tickets ask for urgent processing.

If you have already sent your application and now require urgent processing
If you live in Canada, contact the CIC Call Centre and speak to an agent. The agent will tell you if we can process your application for a citizenship certificate urgently. If we can, the agent will explain what you will need to do.
If you live in the United States:
Send a letter to:
If you submitted your application directly to CIC in Sydney, Nova Scotia on or after September 2, 2013, use the address in the instruction guide.
If you submitted your application to a Canadian embassy or consulate before September 2, 2013, contact the same Canadian embassy or consulate where you sent your application.
Write “Urgent – Citizenship Certificate (Proof)” in large, dark letters on the envelope.
Include an explanation of why you need urgent processing. Make sure your explanation includes your full name, telephone numbers, and date of birth.

jcud

Oct 26, 2014
Donvalley, I'm not sure I understand. If I apply now for the proof of citizenship, in the regular manner, it can take 9 or 10 months to complete. You suggest I then call the CIC center in Canada to ask for rush processing? Wouldn't my wife then have to wait for the limited validity passport as well. If I understand correctly, the whole purpose of this according to the lady I spoke to at the consulate was that we applied for both the citizenship certificate and the limited validity passport at the same time. It takes approximately 20 business days for the passport, after which time my wife and child can rejoin me in Canada. It seems to me that going to Canada before applying for urgent processing would complicate this procedure immensely. My original question was to whether or not we have to provide the air travel proof when we apply at the consulate. Can anyone address that question?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jcud said:
Donvalley, I'm not sure I understand. If I apply now for the proof of citizenship, in the regular manner, it can take 9 or 10 months to complete. You suggest I then call the CIC center in Canada to ask for rush processing? Wouldn't my wife then have to wait for the limited validity passport as well. If I understand correctly, the whole purpose of this according to the lady I spoke to at the consulate was that we applied for both the citizenship certificate and the limited validity passport at the same time. It takes approximately 20 business days for the passport, after which time my wife and child can rejoin me in Canada. It seems to me that going to Canada before applying for urgent processing would complicate this procedure immensely. My original question was to whether or not we have to provide the air travel proof when we apply at the consulate. Can anyone address that question?
In order to get a limited validity passport, you normally have to show proof of travel such as having bought tickets.

Donvalley

Oct 14, 2013
Toronto - Downtown
Visa Office......
................. [b]e-CAS[/b] (electronic Client Application Status) login : http://goo.gl/dQFOk
NOC Code......
................. [b]How to login e-cas[/b] using client ID: http://imgbox.com/hhIMgYf5
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
................. [b]Case Specific Enquiry[/b]: http://goo.gl/yCBCbB
James,

I am sorry that my reply was not very helpful, there was a bit of information I am confused with your previous post.

A direct answer for your question is; Yes, you have to show the ticket/travel plans as proof for urgent processing.

However what my understanding is, applying for urgent processing because one does not want to wait any longer for a citizenship certificate is not acceptable. Generally, applicants will have to show that there is a good reason for why the applicant needs to have their application processed before others. In that sense you need to show a valid reason to prove your urgency. As your wife is a PR it will be better for you to consider the family rejoining/moving/leaving child behind issues due to infant unable to travel without passport. But in this case you need to be travel ready at least. Remember that a limited validity passport is good only if you have immediate travel plans; it cannot be extended once expired.

See below info:

My child is a newborn and does not have proof of Canadian citizenship yet. How can I get a passport for them to travel?

Proof of Canadian citizenship is required to support each passport application. If your child was born abroad and you have not yet applied for their Canadian citizenship certificate, you will need to do that before submitting a passport application. If possible, you should consider deferring all travel plans until the certificate is received from the processing centre in Canada. For citizenship certificate, this can be a very lengthy process so we urge you to submit the application as soon as possible after the birth of your child.

Following submission of the citizenship application, if travel plans cannot be deferred, you may submit a fully completed passport application along with all supporting documentation as well as your child's proof of travel, airline ticket or airline e-ticket, as supporting documentation to assess the case. As your child does not have citizenship documents, you will need to submit the original proof of Canadian citizenship from one of the parents, the original foreign birth certificate showing both parents' names, original marriage certificate of the parents (optional), and the receipt confirming submission of the citizenship application. Our passport examiners will assess your case and determine the necessity of issuing a limited validity passport to meet your child's travel needs.

Please note that citizenship applications may take about 12 to 14 months to process. As most countries in Asia require 6 months validity on the passport to travel, it is not in your best interests to apply for the limited validity passport if you have no
immediate travel plans. We suggest you wait until you have fixed plans for travel and submit an application at that time allowing our office 20 working days to process your child's passport.

jbrule

Oct 27, 2014
Hello,

I am trying to fill out an application for my son's citizenship cert and I find some of it rather vague. This is a cut and dry application, both my husband and I were born in Canada and our son was born in the US. The part I'm a little unclear on is section 8b about grandparents and am wondering if anyone knows what I should do. Do I leave that blank since we were both born in Canada or mark everything no? I can't believe that Canada offers no support to people in the US on these applications. We can only write a letter if we have questions!