+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Millertimez said:
At the same time, I was planning on applying for urgent Canadian Citizenship Certificate for the new born stating that we need to relocate to Canada soon. Since the waiting period can take up to 6 months, is this enough valid reason to submit the application as urgent?

Would I apply through Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia or the embassy in Minnesota?

Or is it a better option to start the application process for the Citizenship Certificate once they move back to Canada? The risk with this option is he won't have healthcare coverage during the application process.
If you apply through an embassy in the US, you could apply for his temporary Canadian passport with proof of travel as well. You can not get him a temporary passport unless you have applied for a Canadian citizenship certificate first.

You can also talk to the health care in your home province about coverage for your child, under which circumstances he could he be covered. It is possible that they would give you temporary coverage for him based on that you have applied for the citizenship certificate even if you don't have it yet.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Millertimez said:
I'm a naturalized Canadian Citizen by descent.

At the same time, I was planning on applying for urgent Canadian Citizenship Certificate for the new born stating that we need to relocate to Canada soon. Since the waiting period can take up to 6 months, is this enough valid reason to submit the application as urgent?

Would I apply through Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia or the embassy in Minnesota?

Or is it a better option to start the application process for the Citizenship Certificate once they move back to Canada? The risk with this option is he won't have healthcare coverage during the application process.
Can you please clarify your "a naturalized Canadian Citizen by descent" statement? Either you are a naturalized Canadian (you were a PR who became Canadian) or you are Canadian by descent (born outside of Canada to Canadian parents). If you are the first, your child will be Canadian. If you are the second, your child will not be Canadian and will need to be sponsored.

Assuming you are the first and the child will be Canadian:

As explained here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp, apps from the United States go to Sydney, Nova Scotia.

In Canada and the United States.

Read your instruction guide and download your application forms
Complete, sign and date your application forms
Pay the fees
Mail your fully completed application to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia

You can ask for urgent processing, citing your child's need to access healthcare when s/he arrives in Canada. They will evaluate your request and either expedite the app or process it normally. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/urgent-proof.asp

Start the process as soon as you have the necessary documents for the child. Don't wait until you get to Canada.

Millertimez

Jun 12, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
AOR Received.
03-01-2014
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2014
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Leon said:
If you apply through an embassy in the US, you could apply for his temporary Canadian passport with proof of travel as well. You can not get him a temporary passport unless you have applied for a Canadian citizenship certificate first.You can also talk to the health care in your home province about coverage for your child, under which circumstances he could he be covered. It is possible that they would give you temporary coverage for him based on that you have applied for the citizenship certificate even if you don't have it yet.
How would I show I applied for Canadian Citenship Certificate?

Thanks.

Millertimez

Jun 12, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
AOR Received.
03-01-2014
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2014
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
canuck_in_uk said:
Can you please clarify your "a naturalized Canadian Citizen by descent" statement? Either you are a naturalized Canadian (you were a PR who became Canadian) or you are Canadian by descent (born outside of Canada to Canadian parents). If you are the first, your child will be Canadian. If you are the second, your child will not be Canadian and will need to be sponsored.
I automatically got my citizenship when my mother became a naturalized citizen, I believe I was 17 years old at the time. I guess by your statement, I did not become Citizenship by descent but rather by obtaining PR first and then obtaining Canadian Citizenship years later. If it helps, we immigrated to Canada as refugees in 1994 when I was 11. I had lost the plasic size Citizenship Certificate card but I still have the original paper copy.

Thanks for the helpful tip. I will proceed and apply as soon as I obtain the relevant documents.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Millertimez said:
I automatically got my citizenship when my mother became a naturalized citizen, I believe I was 17 years old at the time. I guess by your statement, I did not become Citizenship by descent but rather by obtaining PR first and then obtaining Canadian Citizenship years later. If it helps, we immigrated to Canada as refugees in 1994 when I was 11. I had lost the plasic size Citizenship Certificate card but I still have the original paper copy.

Thanks for the helpful tip. I will proceed and apply as soon as I obtain the relevant documents.
Yes, you are a naturalized Canadian, not a Canadian by descent.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Millertimez said:
How would I show I applied for Canadian Citenship Certificate?

Thanks.
If you apply for a citizenship certificate through the embassy and a temporary passport at the same time, they will obviously know you have applied.

If you apply directly to Sydney, you would have to wait a couple of months to get a an acknowledgement letter from them.

Millertimez

Jun 12, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
AOR Received.
03-01-2014
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2014
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Leon said:
If you apply for a citizenship certificate through the embassy and a temporary passport at the same time, they will obviously know you have applied.

If you apply directly to Sydney, you would have to wait a couple of months to get a an acknowledgement letter from them.
Thank you both. Greatly appreciate the info.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Leon said:

CIC's website states that those who are in Canada and the US must submit their app to Sydney. There doesn't seem to be an option to send the app to an embassy in the US.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
Millertimez, as of Sept 2nd, 2013 you would apply directly to CPC in Sydney. If I was you, I would request Urgent Processing based on the impending birth of your child in a few weeks with all of the details you've laid out for us.

Good luck!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Millertimez said:
Thank you both. Greatly appreciate the info.
Also keep in mind, depending on how far you are from the border, you can enter Canada with just a US birth certificate for your children if they don't have US passport already. This only applies at land border crossings only. You can do the same for your newborn as well.

We did this with our 2 kids as they didn't have any passports at the time. Just remember that both parents must be with the child if using birth certificate only to enter Canada / US.

Screech339

Millertimez

Jun 12, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
AOR Received.
03-01-2014
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2014
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
canuck_in_uk said:
CIC's website states that those who are in Canada and the US must submit their app to Sydney. There doesn't seem to be an option to send the app to an embassy in the US.
That's what confused me. Some said to apply Sydney while others have said the embassy.

screech339 said:
Also keep in mind, depending on how far you are from the border, you can enter Canada with just a US birth certificate for your children if they don't have US passport already. This only applies at land border crossings only. You can do the same for your newborn as well.

We did this with our 2 kids as they didn't have any passports at the time. Just remember that both parents must be with the child if using birth certificate only to enter Canada / US.

Screech339
Another option to consider if the border is close by.

Millertimez

Jun 12, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
AOR Received.
03-01-2014
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2014
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
saria1 said:
Millertimez, as of Sept 2nd, 2013 you would apply directly to CPC in Sydney. If I was you, I would request Urgent Processing based on the impending birth of your child in a few weeks with all of the details you've laid out for us.

Good luck!
I plan to go with this approach. Merci.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Millertimez said:
That's what confused me. Some said to apply Sydney while others have said the embassy.
When I applied to get Proof of Canadian citizenship in 2007, I was in the US at the time and I had to submit it to the US embassy. The application at the time in 2007 specifically stated that those in US must apply through Canadian embassy in US. By the time I applied for Proof of Canadian Citizenship for my first kid in 2010, the application was changed to specifically say all applications in Canada and US must submit it directly to Sydney.

maiet

May 31, 2013
I have permanent resident visa it will expire on september 2014 so I m going to travel to canada to live there. I have a daughter 4 years old she is Canadian, she has Canadian citizenship certificate but she doesn't have Canadian Passport only mexican Passport, she needs other document to go to canada with me. Im confused..someone who can explain me about this, please!!!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maiet said:
I have permanent resident visa it will expire on september 2014 so I m going to travel to canada to live there. I have a daughter 4 years old she is Canadian, she has Canadian citizenship certificate but she doesn't have Canadian Passport only mexican Passport, she needs other document to go to canada with me. Im confused..someone who can explain me about this, please!!!!
In order for your daughter to board a plane to Canada, she will need either a Canadian passport or a facilitation visa. The citizenship certificate is not a travel document and the airline may not be willing to take the risk to transport her. You have really left it late to take care of this if your visa is expiring in September. Can your daughter stay with someone while you go and land?