+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

pgouv

Jun 21, 2014
hello. My mother has canadian citizenship probably from naturalization ~1980s but not from birth. My father is non canadian.Because of some reasons they didnt stay there and decided to return. I was born abroad at 1988 and I am an only child. According to what I read I can get Canadian citizenship.
Can I?
Is it too late?
Could there be an exception like mother was sponsored etc so I cant get it?
thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pgouv said:
hello. My mother has canadian citizenship probably from naturalization ~1980s but not from birth. My father is non canadian.Because of some reasons they didnt stay there and decided to return. I was born abroad at 1988 and I am an only child. According to what I read I can get Canadian citizenship.
Can I?
Is it too late?
Could there be an exception like mother was sponsored etc so I cant get it?
thank you
You are most likely a Canadian citizen so you should go ahead and apply for proof of citizenship and see what happens.

The only exclusion problem could be if your mother were first generation born abroad and gained citizenship based on parentage which would make you 2nd generation born abroad. However, because of your birth year, it is really not a problem even if that was the case.

pgouv

Jun 21, 2014
Leon said:
You are most likely a Canadian citizen so you should go ahead and apply for proof of citizenship and see what happens.

The only exclusion problem could be if your mother were first generation born abroad and gained citizenship based on parentage which would make you 2nd generation born abroad. However, because of your birth year, it is really not a problem even if that was the case.
Thank you. Most likely it isnt from parentage but had relatives there .She stayed there and worked some years. So I should apply for proof at local canadian embassy? It would take half year? Also I didnt find what documents my mother should provide.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pgouv said:
Thank you. Most likely it isnt from parentage but had relatives there .She stayed there and worked some years. So I should apply for proof at local canadian embassy? It would take half year? Also I didnt find what documents my mother should provide.
1. You need a copy of her citizenship certificate/card. your birth certificate.

Chanucks

Jun 30, 2014
hello,
hope someone can point us in the right direction as to the forms to fill out?
my husband and i currently reside in Hong Kong,and are expecting our first child this Oct.
we hope to move back in 2 years' time,and are anxious to hand in the applications to get the process started.
he is a neutralized Canadian (non resident),i have American/Hong Kong nationality
we started filling out the spousal sponsorship forms,but are confused as to what to put for the unborn child?
do we include her in the dependant part,and hand in the application for both wife and daughter (1 application);
or is daughter eligible as a citizen by birth and we apply for citizenship papers for her and apply under spousal sponsorship for wife (2 applications)?
thank you!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Chanucks said:
we started filling out the spousal sponsorship forms,but are confused as to what to put for the unborn child?
do we include her in the dependant part,and hand in the application for both wife and daughter (1 application);
or is daughter eligible as a citizen by birth and we apply for citizenship papers for her and apply under spousal sponsorship for wife (2 applications)?
thank you!!
Hi

An unborn child cannot be included or listed in your wife's sponsorship app.

Once the child is actually born, submit the Certificate of Citizenship app for her. Email your wife's VO to update them about the birth of her Canadian child.

Domoviye

Jul 1, 2014
Hi,
My 3 year old Canadian-Chinese daughter is currently in the process of getting her Citizenship Certificate, but it will be a few more months to get it, and my Mother has a bit of a medical emergency so I need to move up my plans to move back to Canada.
I know I need an F-1 form to get her an emergency visa, but I can't seem to find it online. Do I have to go to the consulate in Shanghai and fill it out in person? And if so do I need to bring my daughter? Or is it online and I'm just blind?
Thank you.

AW23

May 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad NOW LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20 April 2012
Doc's Request.
24 May 2014
AOR Received.
July 2012
Med's Request
30 Aug 2014
Med's Done....
8 Sep 2014
Passport Req..
26 Sep 2014, Sent:oct 27, Rcvd: nov 6, 14
VISA ISSUED...
Sep 30, 2014
I submitted my baby proof of citizenship app in January 2013 directly to Sydney Nova Scotia office. and its now been 17 months and havent rcvd it yet. what to do?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Domoviye said:
I know I need an F-1 form to get her an emergency visa, but I can't seem to find it online. Do I have to go to the consulate in Shanghai and fill it out in person? And if so do I need to bring my daughter? Or is it online and I'm just blind?
Thank you.
Hi

Guessing from this that you have to go in person. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0014ETOC.asp

Note:

- There is no application form to complete to request a facilitation visa.
- There is a $100 CAD processing fee for the facilitation visa, payable at the visa office (please consult the relevant visa office website for the acceptable methods of payment).
- Adoptive parents can request a facilitation visa for the adopted person by adding a note to Part 2 of the application and including with it the adopted person’s foreign passport (the facilitation visa will be inserted directly in the adopted person's foreign passport).
- Processing times for facilitation visas are short (in general, they range from same- day service to a couple of days, depending upon the visa office processing the request for a facilitation visa).

AW23 said:
I submitted my baby proof of citizenship app in January 2013 directly to Sydney Nova Scotia office. and its now been 17 months and havent rcvd it yet. what to do?
Contact them....

Keratzlaff

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
Help!!!!!
Hello ! I would really appreciate some help as I can't seem to find the answer I need . I am a Canadian citizen by birth .my Husband and I are currently living in New Zealand ( for the past year ) and will fly home in September where he will land and become a permanent resident . I have 3 month old twin daughters who have New Zealand passports . I am going to apply for certificate of citizenship once we are in canada. I didn't think the girls would have a problem entering canada as New Zealand is visa exempt and they are canadian citizens by birth . However I have been reading forum posts that say you need the certificate of citizenship to enter . Can you please help me clarify ? We leave in 42 and I never thought we would have a problem entering ! Thanks so much

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Keratzlaff said:
However I have been reading forum posts that say you need the certificate of citizenship to enter . Can you please help me clarify ? We leave in 42 and I never thought we would have a problem entering ! Thanks so much
Hi

They do not require the certificates to enter Canada. CBSA will not refuse them entry travelling on their NZ passports, as they are Canadians.

However, without the certificates, you may have issues registering them for healthcare.

Jadealegro

Jul 30, 2014
Hi good day, I have a question regarding my 4 year old daughter. Her dad is a Canadian citizen and I'm a Filipina, she was acknowledge by her dad and she's even carrying her fathers name.. I believe she is a naturalized Canadian.. What should I do for her to get the citizenship? I am not married with her dad though and we're no longer in contact? I'm hoping for a reply. Thanks

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Jadealegro said:
Hi good day, I have a question regarding my 4 year old daughter. Her dad is a Canadian citizen and I'm a Filipina, she was acknowledge by her dad and she's even carrying her fathers name.. I believe she is a naturalized Canadian.. What should I do for her to get the citizenship? I am not married with her dad though and we're no longer in contact? I'm hoping for a reply. Thanks
If her father is a naturalized Canadian (PR acquired Canadian citizenship) or born in Canada, then the daughter is Canadian by descent. She would be categorized as 1st generation Canadian. She is not by definition a naturalized Canadian.

It doesn't matter if you are married to him or not. It has no bearing on the daughter's ability to get Canadian citizenship. You can apply for Canadian citizenship certificate for your daughter however it depends on how cooperative the father is. Can you get copies of his Canadian birth certificate or his Canadian Citizenship Certificate? You will have problems getting your daughter a certificate if you don't have any proof to submit to CIC that the father is Canadian at time of child's birth.

Screech339

Millertimez

Jun 12, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
AOR Received.
03-01-2014
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Med's Done....
28-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2014
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Perhaps someone had asked a similar question to mine but going through 29 pages is time consuming.

I'm a naturalized Canadian Citizen by descent. My wife who currently lives in Minnesota recently landed as PR but had to go back to US to give birth in September.

In order to expediate the process of them moving to Canada as soon as possible, we are planning on obtaining a US passport for the baby so he could enter Canada.

At the same time, I was planning on applying for urgent Canadian Citizenship Certificate for the new born stating that we need to relocate to Canada soon. Since the waiting period can take up to 6 months, is this enough valid reason to submit the application as urgent?

Would I apply through Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia or the embassy in Minnesota?

Or is it a better option to start the application process for the Citizenship Certificate once they move back to Canada? The risk with this option is he won't have healthcare coverage during the application process.

Any advice is greatly appreciate it.

Millertimez