+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

bge1991 said:
hi i have problem with my baby citizenship application..it says the processing time is 8-12 months. but my husband submitted her application last july 13, 2012 in Canadian embassy manila but until now i haven't receive any email or letter from the embassy..it was almost 2 years..how will i find out if her application is still in process..
Time to send a case specific email to the Visa Office. The address is on that office's web site.

kimosabe

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
bge1991 said:
hi i have problem with my baby citizenship application..it says the processing time is 8-12 months. but my husband submitted her application last july 13, 2012 in Canadian embassy manila but until now i haven't receive any email or letter from the embassy..it was almost 2 years..how will i find out if her application is still in process..
Have you checked online on the status of your child's application? I know someone who applied in Canada Embassy Manila last April 2012 and they got their child's citizenship certificate only after 18 months. :eek:

On the day they were writing a follow up letter as advised, they checked online and saw that CIC Canada already sent the Citizenship Certificate to the embassy and so the letter was never sent, and after a few more days of waiting, the Certificate was in their hands.

Like PMM suggested you can write a follow up letter to find out the status since you're going 20 months now, but be sure to check online first.

kimosabe

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
bge1991 said:
BTW, forgot to mention that you can check online: HTTP://WWW.CIC.GC.CA using your receipt no. or UCI number. Good luck.

pringdave

Sep 25, 2011
Hi everyone

I have a bit of concern about my daughter's citizenships requirements her paper works has completed but there is 1 thing is missing is her dad's old passport because he just renewed a new one he doesnt have the old one anymore what should i do? but i only have the photocopy of hes old passport that is okey to send it?? thats the only thing is missing my daughter will be 4 years old this coming May 25,2014! hope to hear from u soon i want any advice from u guysit will be very appriciated lots Godbless! :)

tommyn79

Star Member
Jan 28, 2013
Hi there I am a naturalized Canadian, and my baby will be born outside of Canada in a few months, so I need to prepare the documents to bring my baby to Canada, because the Canadian Consulate at where my baby will be born, said after I applied for the Proof of Citizenship for my child, just show them the proof that I applied for it so they can issue a limited validity passport for my baby. And I am planning to send the application to Case Processing Centre in Sydney, NS, Canada first.

Here are a few questions that I need to ask:
Does CIC accept photos that are taken outside of Canada, if they meet all the requirement of the photograph specifications like size, and name photographer + address + date + name of the child?
In the Instruction Guild, it says Identify the scenario that describes your situation and submit the appropriate supporting documents, I guess it is scenario 1, then my new born baby won't have any of the required documents in that scenario like driver licence, health card . So what Documents should be send?, and what is the Certificate of Registration of birth abroad? and where can i get it?, someone told me that I must send them the Birth Certificate of my baby, my own Citizenship Card, and my Certificate of Marriage.
Then what documents must be sent in photocopied/original condition?
How can I get the proof to show the Canadian Consulate that I applied for the citizenship for my child?

Thanks for answering.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tommyn79 said:
Hi there I am a naturalized Canadian, and my baby will be born outside of Canada in a few months, so I need to prepare the documents to bring my baby to Canada, because the Canadian Consulate at where my baby will be born, said after I applied for the Proof of Citizenship for my child, just show them the proof that I applied for it so they can issue a limited validity passport for my baby. And I am planning to send the application to Case Processing Centre in Sydney, NS, Canada first.

Here are a few questions that I need to ask:
Does CIC accept photos that are taken outside of Canada, if they meet all the requirement of the photograph specifications like size, and name photographer + address + date + name of the child?
In the Instruction Guild, it says Identify the scenario that describes your situation and submit the appropriate supporting documents, I guess it is scenario 1, then my new born baby won't have any of the required documents in that scenario like driver licence, health card . So what Documents should be send?, and what is the Certificate of Registration of birth abroad? and where can i get it?, someone told me that I must send them the Birth Certificate of my baby, my own Citizenship Card, and my Certificate of Marriage.
Then what documents must be sent in photocopied/original condition?
How can I get the proof to show the Canadian Consulate that I applied for the citizenship for my child?

Thanks for answering.
You should apply for the citizenship certificate for your child through the embassy if you and your child are outside Canada.

Using photos taken outside Canada is fine as long as they meet the specs.

tommyn79

Star Member
Jan 28, 2013
I don't think I will be there when my wife gives birth to the baby, so I will need her to send me all the required documents to apply for my child's proof of citizenship.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tommyn79 said:
I don't think I will be there when my wife gives birth to the baby, so I will need her to send me all the required documents to apply for my child's proof of citizenship.
You should still apply through the embassy whether you mail the application there from Canada or not. Applying through the embassy ensures that the embassy knows you have applied as well as the processing times are shorter.

You can see the processing times here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/certif-processing.asp but look at the footnotes. It says if you apply through Sydney for a child that is outside Canada, add 6-8 months to the processing time.

Hopeful One

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Make sure you also have a DNA report proving your genetic link to the child. Not sure if Immigration has a list of the labs you can choose from. I do know that the US requires a DNA kit to be sent to their embassy 3 - 4 months prior to the child being born.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hopeful One said:
Make sure you also have a DNA report proving your genetic link to the child. Not sure if Immigration has a list of the labs you can choose from. I do know that the US requires a DNA kit to be sent to their embassy 3 - 4 months prior to the child being born.
I don't think this is necessary.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IvanP said:
Can genetic testing even be done (non-invasively) prior to birth?
I think there is a new method to do that. However, I don't see how they would be asking for the DNA of an unborn child for citizenship when you can't even apply to register the child for citizenship until it's already born.

hutch

May 15, 2014
Question

I was born in America, adopted by Americans both biological parents are Canadians ( we have reunited ) Can I have Candian citizenship if so will I need an DNA test to prove they are my biological parents Thank you

kimosabe

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
Hopeful One said:
Steaky said:
I don't think this is necessary.
Agree, DNA test is not necessary. Just make sure all supporting birth papers (Birth Certificate, Hospital & Doctor Certificate, etc.) are in order when submitted to the embassy.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hutch said:
Question

I was born in America, adopted by Americans both biological parents are Canadians ( we have reunited ) Can I have Candian citizenship if so will I need an DNA test to prove they are my biological parents Thank you
Do you have a birth certificate showing them as your parents? A legal adoption normally severs the ties between a child and the biological parents. However, you can of course try to apply and see what happens.