+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is plenty of time to apply for a SIN. Once you have gotten the citizenship certificate and happen to be in Canada, you can go to Service Canada and apply. Your child is not missing out on anything not having a SIN for the first few years of their life.

JJ9912

Feb 11, 2014
Hello. Hope someone can help me with this. I was born in 1980 in the states. My mom is Canadian and was born in Canada. She was married to an American for many years. I also spent a year in High School in Canada going to school. I would like to know which do I apply for or what steps do I need to take?

Do I apply for proof of Canadian citizenship or apply for citizenship ? Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JJ9912 said:
Hello. Hope someone can help me with this. I was born in 1980 in the states. My mom is Canadian and was born in Canada. She was married to an American for many years. I also spent a year in High School in Canada going to school. I would like to know which do I apply for or what steps do I need to take?

Do I apply for proof of Canadian citizenship or apply for citizenship ? Thanks.
You are already a citizen so you apply for proof.

JJ9912

Feb 11, 2014
Leon said:
Hello. Thanks for reply above. So after I apply for proof. I plan to live and work in Canada. We have been married for a good number of years. How can my wife live and work in Canada? She has 10 years experience in advanced accounting work (SEC reporting). She has a college degree in accounting and half way to a Masters. If anyone can tell me the best way would be great. Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You would have to sponsor your wife for permanent residency. Her education is not important.

OMFS

Jun 23, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I'm filling out the CIT 0001 form now, for my child who is born in USA.
Note: I was born in Canada and am a Canadian citizen.

On form CIT 0001, section: gathering documents, it asks for birth certificate (of baby), my birth certificates in canada, and:

Two (2) pieces of personal identification, such as a driver’s licence and a health insurance card, one of which must have your photo on it.

What have other people used for these "2 pieces of personal identification"?

Please help.

Thanks.

JJ9912

Feb 11, 2014
Leon said:
I had another question maybe someone can help me with. I am having trouble with this part.

"Two (2) pieces of personal identification, such as a driver's licence and a health insurance card, one of which must have your photo on it."

I have searched can't find my answer to this. I do have a driver licence with my photo. For number 2 - health insurance since under my wife name only has her name on the card. I also don't have a passport yet as I haven't started the process for it.

So what else can I use for number 2? Thanks

JJ9912

Feb 11, 2014
Leon said:
You don't have a US passport? That would be a good ID.
No I don't have a US passport yet I was waiting to apply for one . So is that only other thing I can use with my Driver License since my health card not in my name?

What else can be used? Can I find a list?

What about a USA Social Security card does that work?

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
JJ9912 said:
Can anyone help me with this?? Please see post above.
I would just get the passport. You'll need it anyhow.

Not sure I completely agree with Leon (a first!) about the fastest way for your wife to find work. As an accountant, she may be eligible for a NAFTA visa which would enable her to begin working more quickly (assuming she found work quickly). I don't believe there's any reason you can't get a NAFTA visa while you are applying for permanent residency, but you'd need to double-check. For permanent residency, you'll need to compare whether applying inland and simultaneously applying for a work permit, or applying outland and waiting for the application to be processed, would be faster. It can be hard to guess which will be faster.

Screenager

May 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Friends.

My wife is a Canadian Citizen living with me in Pakistan. We just had a son (2 months old now). We have applied for his proof of canadian citizenship from Pakistan (He is eligible as wife is a naturalized Canadian Citizen). My question to you pertains to tracking: We got a letter from the Canadian High Commission. It has a 'receipt number' of 6 digits. Now when i try to track this application from the CIC.gc.ca website. I'm not sure what unique id type to select from the drop down menu.

The choices are:
Client ID Number / Unique Client Identifier
Receipt Number (IMM 5401)
Immigration File Number / Application Number
Record of Landing Number
Permanent Resident Card Number
Citizenship Receipt Number
Citizenship File Number
Confirmation of Permanent Residence Number

Which of the above should I choose?

Reema1

Feb 3, 2014
My brother who is a Canadian Citizen and daughter born in Pakistan, Islamabad.
he went to apply for her canadian citizenship certificate and found out that the passport will not be issued until he receives the citizenship card for the baby.
Every consulate has different rules. we cant force the consulate to issue a passport to a baby when the citizenship card is still in process? This is Wired !

they have plans of visiting canada this june. But there isnt any valid reason they can tell the consulate to push for the temporary passport

what is the next step?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Reema1 said:
he went to apply for her canadian citizenship certificate and found out that the passport will not be issued until he receives the citizenship card for the baby.
Every consulate has different rules. we cant force the consulate to issue a passport to a baby when the citizenship card is still in process? This is Wired !

they have plans of visiting canada this june. But there isnt any valid reason they can tell the consulate to push for the temporary passport

what is the next step?
A limited validity passport if the child is under 2 or a facilitation visa if the child is over 2.

kimosabe

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
Reema1 said:

what is the next step?
Unfortunately, that is the S.O.P. -- Citizenship Certificate first before passport.

Best move is to talk to the embassy again about the plan to visit Canada in June and see what solution they can offer.

Good luck.