6/6/2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21/11/2013
VISA ISSUED...
26/11/2013
Hi,
I am currently in the process of being sponsored by my spouse so that we can move to Canada in April 2014. My wife is a Canadian citizen by birth and our children are eligible for citizenship. We have two children, ages 4 months & 2.5 years.

My question relates to gaining suitable Visa's for the children.

What process we should use to immigrate with them.?

a) should we apply for citizenship & temporary validity passport for the 4 month old? If so what should we do for the older one ?

b) should we apply for an F1 facilitation Visa for the older one, or both, if so what is the process for this ?

c) can we land with only Australian passports for our children and apply for citizenship once we arrive in Canada? if so, how long can the children stay in Canada on this basis, is there any extensions available once we have applied for citizenship.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,
Blackwood

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Blackwood said:
a) should we apply for citizenship & temporary validity passport for the 4 month old? If so what should we do for the older one ?

A child under 2 can get a temporary passport if you have already applied for the citizenship certificate and you show proof of urgent travel.

b) should we apply for an F1 facilitation Visa for the older one, or both, if so what is the process for this ?

A child older than 2 can get a facilitation visa for the same purpose as a)

c) can we land with only Australian passports for our children and apply for citizenship once we arrive in Canada? if so, how long can the children stay in Canada on this basis, is there any extensions available once we have applied for citizenship.

You can and that would probably be best if you want to move soon. It takes longer to get their citizenship certificates through the embassy than if you move to Canada and apply from inside and it can take a while too to get a temporary passport issued. If you explain to immigration when the kids arrive that they are really citizens and you are going to apply for their citizenship certificates, they might be able to get a longer validity visa like a year instead of the regular 6 months. This is called a visitor record. If they don't and you are still waiting for their citizenship certificate when their 6 month visa is about to expire, you can apply to extend.

Blackwood

Jul 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney (AUS)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/7/2013
AOR Received.
8/8/2013
File Transfer...
6/9/2013
Med's Done....
6/6/2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21/11/2013
VISA ISSUED...
26/11/2013
Thanks for your help.. I have decided to put in applications for citizenship for both kids before we leave. I will get a limited validity passport passport for my child under 2 and email the Syd office for an F1 facilitation visa for my other child .. my only concern is getting the F1 visa as it seems there is no set timeline and I am not confident my request will be responded to .. but we shall see .. i will let you know how I go.

Blackwood

light_bulb

Nov 17, 2013
Thank you guys very much for your help.

Here is my background info:
I am a Canadian citizen living in US right now. My wife is not a Canadian citizen, and we were married in US. Our baby will be born soon in the US. My plan is to obtain canadian citizenship certificate and temporary canadian passport for child soon after birth.

I just have a few quick questions:

1) How do I obtain a Canadian birth certificate for my child being born in US? what forms do I need? Is this necessary to have (as I will also obtain the CDN citizenship certificate and CDN passport for my child)?
2) When I initially go to the CDN embassy (in the US) to hand in the form CIT 0001 to obtain the canadian citizenship certificate for my child:
a) does my baby need to come with me?
b) what ID do I need? Is Canadian passport and the canadian passport ID card good enough?

3) I don't want my baby to have the same last name as me. I want the baby to have my wife's last name.
Does this complicate things for the form? Note: my wife is not a Canadian citizen. We were married in US.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. You can't get a Canadian birth certificate for your child because your child is not born in Canada. Your childs proof of citizenship will be the citizenship certificate.

2a. No, not as far as I know.
2b. Just read the application instructions and provide what they ask for.

3. Name should not matter. You are married and I assume you will be listed on the birth certificate. If they want a DNA test, they will ask for it but usually they don't ask if you are married.

AW23

May 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad NOW LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20 April 2012
Doc's Request.
24 May 2014
AOR Received.
July 2012
Med's Request
30 Aug 2014
Med's Done....
8 Sep 2014
Passport Req..
26 Sep 2014, Sent:oct 27, Rcvd: nov 6, 14
VISA ISSUED...
Sep 30, 2014
Stormthunder said:
So is it ok if I apply even thoug I haven't yet received my visa ????
hello can you kindly guide how to apply for facilitation visa?

AW23

May 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad NOW LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20 April 2012
Doc's Request.
24 May 2014
AOR Received.
July 2012
Med's Request
30 Aug 2014
Med's Done....
8 Sep 2014
Passport Req..
26 Sep 2014, Sent:oct 27, Rcvd: nov 6, 14
VISA ISSUED...
Sep 30, 2014
How to apply for baby passport residing outside canada?

Reema1

Feb 3, 2014
My brother is a naturalized Canadian citizen and residing in Pakistan. He recently had a baby. I want to know how can he apply for his baby's Canadian citizenship?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reema1 said:
My brother is a naturalized Canadian citizen and residing in Pakistan. He recently had a baby. I want to know how can he apply for his baby's Canadian citizenship?
He needs to apply for a citizenship certificate for the baby, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

After getting it, he can get the baby a passport.

OMFS

Jun 23, 2013
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of filling out the form CIT 0001.
I also want to fill out the form for temporary passport, as we want to travel to Canada, but likely will travel prior to receiving the citizenship certificate.

Can someone please direct me where to find the form for this temporary visa... I've been having a lot of difficulty finding it.

Thank you very much.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OMFS said:
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of filling out the form CIT 0001.
I also want to fill out the form for temporary passport, as we want to travel to Canada, but likely will travel prior to receiving the citizenship certificate.

Can someone please direct me where to find the form for this temporary visa... I've been having a lot of difficulty finding it.

Thank you very much.
You will have to talk to the embassy about the temporary passport. They will definitely require that you have already applied for proof of citizenship or are doing it at the same time and they will most likely require proof of travel as well.

OMFS

Jun 23, 2013
Thanks a lot for all your help Leon!

I read on this website for Canadian embassy, that they don't accept applications anymore in person, and we need to file everything online.
Is this the case now? or am I misunderstanding?

It said:
quote:
US offices will no longer accept Citizenship applications as of September 2nd, 2013.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are in the US, you should mail it, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

3. Submit the application
If you live in Canada or the United States, mail your filled-out application form and all documents to this address:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Case Processing Centre—Proof
P.O. Box 10000
Sydney, Nova Scotia B1P 7C1
If your baby is born in the US and has a US passport, you would not have any problems travelling with that passport.

OMFS

Jun 23, 2013
Thanks again Leon!

There is another important issue that I needed to ask:

Obtaining the Social Insurance Number,what is the best way to do this for my child?

What have other people done?

Thanks.