+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not see why he can not fill out the application and send it to the embassy / visa office responsible for El Salvador. I do not see why he would have to go there.

You can try applying for a facilitation visa at the same time. You can state in your letter to the visa office that you are not able to spend a long time in El Salvador but as soon as he gets the visa, you will come and pick him up. However, note that for a facilitation visa, he has to have a passport. If he is in his mothers custody and she does not want to get him a passport, this will not work. The other problem is that if she refuses to let him travel, you will not be able to take him to Canada, citizenship or not unless your husband wins custody of him in El Salvador first.

lekeplazm

Sep 22, 2013
pls how long does it take for a child born in canada to get citizenship. Wen both parents re not canadians, not permanent residents, just visitors. I mean for the baby to get a canadian passport. pls replies can be sent to lekeplazm@gmail.com

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lekeplazm said:
pls how long does it take for a child born in canada to get citizenship. Wen both parents re not canadians, not permanent residents, just visitors. I mean for the baby to get a canadian passport. pls replies can be sent to lekeplazm @ gmail.com
Immediately after birth. You need the birth certificate to apply for a passport though.

kc.flores

Apr 4, 2013
How do we apply for a facilitation visa for my daughter who is already in Canada? She was issued a TRV last May 2013 and it will expire this November. CIC started processing her proof of citizenship last January 2012. We do not know if they will allow us to extend her TRV or if we should apply for a facilitation visa instead. Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kc.flores said:
How do we apply for a facilitation visa for my daughter who is already in Canada? She was issued a TRV last May 2013 and it will expire this November. CIC started processing her proof of citizenship last January 2012. We do not know if they will allow us to extend her TRV or if we should apply for a facilitation visa instead. Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Just apply to extend her TRV based on that you have already applied for her citizenship certificate. If you have a case number or any correspondence, proof of having applied, include a copy of that with your extension request. It will be approved.

kc.flores

Apr 4, 2013
I have another question. We applied for her proof of citizenship in Manila, Philippines. Since my daughter is already here in Canada can we request the CIC to transfer the processing of her papers here?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can request it but if they will do it and if it will actually delay it is another story.

Andrei13

Oct 15, 2013
Dear Leon

I read a bit all the posts here and it seems that you guys are very knowledgeable. Can you please advice me to this situation. It is similar to others but have some different things.

My GIRLFRIEND (not married not even common law - as we did not live together for 1 year..) is Russian. She is in Moscow 8 month pregnant and she will give birth there in November. I am Canadian, so the baby will be Canadian and I want to bring her here. My girlfriend has a postdoctoral offer starting 1st of March 2014 for one year. She applied for her visa 2 month ago and she got it, so she can come here as of 1st of March for a year multiple entry visa and working permit for this year. Now, of course we want to bring the baby here and we did not know how to do it. At that time the baby will be 3 month. From what I understand here I need to apply for her in Russia , in Moscow at the Canadian consulate for a temporary passport. In order to do so, we need first to apply for a proof of citizenship for her, and once we applied, we can ask for Canadian temporary passport. Is this correct? Can you please tell me very briefly all the steps again and also the sites where I can download the forms and all the documents required?

Does it make any difference for the baby application, if I marry my girlfriend before applying for the baby visa?

Also when the baby will be here, will she have OHIP if she comes on this temporary passport, or do I have to wait until she will receive her citizenship card?

Thanks a lot, I will really appreciate your help as soon as possible.

Best
Andrei

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Andrei13 said:
Dear Leon

I read a bit all the posts here and it seems that you guys are very knowledgeable. Can you please advice me to this situation. It is similar to others but have some different things.

My GIRLFRIEND (not married not even common law - as we did not live together for 1 year..) is Russian. She is in Moscow 8 month pregnant and she will give birth there in November. I am Canadian, so the baby will be Canadian and I want to bring her here. My girlfriend has a postdoctoral offer starting 1st of March 2014 for one year. She applied for her visa 2 month ago and she got it, so she can come here as of 1st of March for a year multiple entry visa and working permit for this year. Now, of course we want to bring the baby here and we did not know how to do it. At that time the baby will be 3 month. From what I understand here I need to apply for her in Russia , in Moscow at the Canadian consulate for a temporary passport. In order to do so, we need first to apply for a proof of citizenship for her, and once we applied, we can ask for Canadian temporary passport. Is this correct? Can you please tell me very briefly all the steps again and also the sites where I can download the forms and all the documents required?

Does it make any difference for the baby application, if I marry my girlfriend before applying for the baby visa?

Also when the baby will be here, will she have OHIP if she comes on this temporary passport, or do I have to wait until she will receive her citizenship card?

Thanks a lot, I will really appreciate your help as soon as possible.

Best
Andrei
Yes, you have to apply for the baby's citizenship certificate in Moscow as soon as you can and you can at the same time show proof of travel and apply for a temporary passport.

Being married to your girlfriend should not really matter for the application. However, if you are not married, they may be more likely to ask for a DNA test to prove that it is your child and this may delay the application.

With a temporary passport, OHIP should accept that your baby is a citizen and give her coverage but you need to talk to OHIP about that. She may be subject to a 3 month waiting period for OHIP like other newcomers.

Here are the instructions and forms you need for the citizenship certificate:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

Here is a bit of info about temporary passports for minors:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp

but you will have to deal with the embassy for that. I do not know of an application form for it.

Andrei13

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks a lot Leon
one more question. As my girlfriend already have a working visa for one year, do you think is there an alternative that we just make a russian passport for the baby and apply for her as a visitor status? Will this be complicated or doable? My girlfriend called the visa center in Russia and somebody told that she may get a refusal, but I do not see why? Any ideas for this? It may be easier for us and then we can apply from here for the citizen card for the kid as it takes less time. Not sure how insurance etc will work for her.
Which do you think is a better way to make our baby to come with us in Canada?

Thanks again
Andrei

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
Andrei,

Are you showing as the baby’s father in the birth certificate from ZAGS? If yes, then there should not be a problem even if you civil status is not confirmed with the mother of the baby. A friend of mine had a similar case, he and his wife were naturalized Canadians from Russia, and gave a birth to their next child in Moscow. They applied for a visit visa in the baby’s Russian passport as they needed to urgently move back to Calgary and did not want to wait out the 3 month + period of the application review in Moscow. Then they had the application processed from within Canada.

Andrei13

Oct 15, 2013
Hi RussCan,

thanks for the message. Yes I will be the father, the baby is not born yet (end of November) so I will go to Moscow and declare the baby on my name as well. So I think she will have my family name on her birth certificate. I hope she will get the tourist visa, I know in Canada it is faster to get the citizenship. The only thing is that i am wondering if the temporary passport thing is not faster and safer?
Andrei

Andrei13

Oct 15, 2013
Also she is not Canadian .... she has a work permit for one year and a postodtoral offer starting 1st of March, so we are not both Canadians.