Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ramin100 said:
Do you know what am I doing now?
Yes, contact the CIC call centre as soon as possible. They might be able to give you some info.

Dave O

Apr 19, 2013
Hello

I’ve studied the cic website . You guys seem extremely helpful, even omniscient so here’s hoping you can get me out of this loop I’m stuck in

I am a Canadian-born, Canadian passport holder. I’ve lived here in the UK for 25+ years. I have had 2 kids, both born here in the UK in 2002 and 2004 and have lived here in Limeyland all their lives though with holidays to family in Canada .

In general my aim is to make as easy as possible for the kids to choose to live in Canada if they want to. I mean making simple including , e.g. getting them a passport while I am alive in case it is harder for them to do so after I have died (their mum is a Brit).

Is it right that..

1) To get Canadian passports, the kids first have to have 'Certificate of Canadian Citizenship’ (as specified in section M of passport application form)

2) In order to get that 'Certificate of Canadian Citizenship’ they have to be a permanent resident in Canada. “To become a Canadian citizen, you must have permanent resident status in Canada”

3) 1&2 above mean that they can not get either Canadian Citizenship or a Canadian passport as they lack the permanent residency?

What would a reasonable next step be in my case?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dave O said:
Is it right that..

1) To get Canadian passports, the kids first have to have 'Certificate of Canadian Citizenship' (as specified in section M of passport application form)

Yes

2) In order to get that 'Certificate of Canadian Citizenship' they have to be a permanent resident in Canada. “To become a Canadian citizen, you must have permanent resident status in Canada”

Since they are Canadian since birth due to being born to a citizen parent, they don't need to be PR first and you will not be applying for citizenship for them, you will be applying for proof of the citizenship they already have.

3) 1&2 above mean that they can not get either Canadian Citizenship or a Canadian passport as they lack the permanent residency?

No. Just go ahead and apply for their certificates. Forms are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp

Dave O

Apr 19, 2013
Thanks so much Leon

I've hit another info gap despite searching CIC and google (last question, I promise).

In the application form it (CIT 0001) it says "all questions are about the child" but (on final sheet, document checklist) says I need to send "2 pieces of personal ID, one of which must have your photo on it ...etc"

Do they want 2 pieces of personal ID of my 8 year old? or mine as the father applying on her behalf?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your child has ID like a passport or something, you can use that but also send two of your own.

dommie888

May 29, 2013
Hi everyone,

I've been stalking this forum for a while during our 8 month sponsorship process and it has been extremely helpful. But I'm worried we might have a problem at the final step and I can't find a reply in this thread that matches our situation.

My wife is a Canadian Citizen and I am British. Our 2 children are aged 3 and 4 and both were born in the UK, where we all live.

I have received my COPR following the family class sponsorship process, but the visa office deliberately left my kids off the documentation. I queried this, and they replied saying I don't need PR for the kids as they qualify for citizenship already.

The problem is we are due to travel in 2 months and we don't have time to apply for citizenship for the kids (I understand this can take 10+ months). Do they need confirmation of citizenship in order to enter Canada with my wife and I, or can we get through by proving my wife is a citizen and they are her kids using birth certificates?

If helpful, I can also bring proof of my email exchange with the visa office that explains why they didn't include them in my COPR.

Help! :eek:

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dommie888 said:
My wife is a Canadian Citizen and I am British. Our 2 children are aged 3 and 4 and both were born in the UK, where we all live.
I assume your kids have British passport and they can use this to enter Canada without problem. Once in Canada, your wife can apply for your kid's Canadian citizen certificates.

dommie888

May 29, 2013
The kids do have British passports for travel. I was worried we would need to show citizenship if they only had a one way ticket and were staying in Canada. If not, that's great news :D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have never once been asked to provide a return ticket anywhere I have travelled. If you are asked about it, you explain the situation. I am sure you will not have a problem.

Mordred

Nov 15, 2012
Hi,
I have applied for a citizenship certificate for my child but its taking long.

The mother & I were married in a traditional ceremony in South Africa. In order to sponsor her, do I need to go back there & go through a civil ceremony as proof of marriage?

I have proof of the traditional ceremony (with ring & all) & we have a rental lease together. BTW - am in Canada & she & the child in South Africa.

Much appreciate any advice.

OMFS

Jun 23, 2013
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself, and thank everyone for their very helpful contributions.
I appreciate all comments that people have posted. You guys are truly a helpful community.

I have a situation here and wanted to make sure I am at the right understanding. Please correct me if I am wrong and help me with the questions I have. Thanks.

The situation:
I am a Canadian citizen, born in Canada. Currently I am studying in the US. I married my wife here in US, and she is not a canadian citizen. She is pregnant now, and we anticipate a child being born while we are in the US.

Questions:
1) Our child will be born a US citizen, since he will be born in the US. This is correct right?
2) Since I am a Canadian citizen (born in Canada), our child is also automatically a Canadian citizen, right?
3) In order to obtain my child's citizenship documents, I will need to:
a) go to the Canadian embassy in my city, and apply for a Citizenship Certificate
FORM CIT 0001

b) Can apply for a temporary visa as we will likely be traveling.
c) I understand that there is a wait time of 10 months to 1 year for the citizenship certificate... is there any way to speed this process up?
d) is this process difficult? is there any interviewing involved? Please describe the process thanks

4) as my child will be born a US citizen, will he lose the US citizenship if he applies to get his citizenship certificate from Canada? Or will he retain his US citizenship and be a dual citizen of both Canada and US?

Thank you very much for all answers/comments. You guys are really appreciated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OMFS said:
Questions:
1) Our child will be born a US citizen, since he will be born in the US. This is correct right?

Yes

2) Since I am a Canadian citizen (born in Canada), our child is also automatically a Canadian citizen, right?

Yes

3) In order to obtain my child's citizenship documents, I will need to:
a) go to the Canadian embassy in my city, and apply for a Citizenship Certificate
FORM CIT 0001

Yes, this form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp

b) Can apply for a temporary visa as we will likely be traveling.

Because your baby is a US citizen, it is visa exempt to visit Canada and so you do not have to worry about getting a temporary visa to go to Canada. If you however really want to, you could apply for a temporary passport for the baby as soon as you have applied for the citizenship certificate. You would need to show proof of travel.

c) I understand that there is a wait time of 10 months to 1 year for the citizenship certificate... is there any way to speed this process up?

If you are moving to Canada and therefore need it sooner, you could try to send proof of that in order to speed it up.

d) is this process difficult? is there any interviewing involved? Please describe the process thanks

It shouldn't be difficult. Mainly you have to prove that you are a citizen and if you are not married, they might ask for a DNA test to prove that this is your baby.

4) as my child will be born a US citizen, will he lose the US citizenship if he applies to get his citizenship certificate from Canada? Or will he retain his US citizenship and be a dual citizen of both Canada and US?

He will be dual. Many US citizens falsely believe that the US does not allow dual. This is wrong. The US does not encourage dual, they don't particularly like it but they do not interfere with it.

OMFS

Jun 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments and help!

I also have another quick question:

My wife is not a Canadian citizen. I would also like to applyfor her to become a canadian citizen.

From my understanding:
We have to first apply for permanent resident status and then apply for canadian citizenship for her.

Is there any way to start the process now, while we are living in the US? (Or do I have to return to Canada first with her, to live and then apply for permanent residency status for her).

Thank you very much.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OMFS said:
My wife is not a Canadian citizen. I would also like to applyfor her to become a canadian citizen.

From my understanding:
We have to first apply for permanent resident status and then apply for canadian citizenship for her.

Is there any way to start the process now, while we are living in the US? (Or do I have to return to Canada first with her, to live and then apply for permanent residency status for her).
Unlike your child, your wife does not automatically gain citizenship for getting married to you so it is right that you must first sponsor her for PR.

As a Canadian citizen, you may apply to sponsor her for PR while you are living outside Canada but in that case, you must show proof/plans of moving to Canada when she gets it. Such proof could be something like having arranged housing, having job offers, accepted to college or at the very least some detailed plans about where you will live and work plus support letters from your family.

A PR must normally meet the residency requirements of 730 days in Canada accumulated in any 5 year period but as long as your wife is living with a Canadian citizen spouse outside Canada, her days spent with you will count as well so she can never lose her PR because of that.

However, in order to apply for citizenship, she must have 1095 days (3 years) spent living in Canada over a 4 year period. She can not apply for citizenship without that. She also needs to pass the test and swear the oath and then she is done.