+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AWS2007 said:
Please there`s any place can I be sure about that we are in Nova Scotia, because some people said to me maybe the baby get it but maybe they will ask them to stay in Canada for a time is this true, and some people said because she is a visitor and don`t has permanent resident maybe the baby didn't get the Canadian passport, and please how much the hospital cost if you know.

thank you very much
A baby who is born in Canada will get Canadian citizenship unless the parents are diplomats. If the parents are visitors, workers or PR doesn't matter.

Having a baby in Canada when you pay can cost between $5,000 and 10,000 and if there are complications it can be more but with a home birth with a midwife, it could be less.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramandhami said:
Do we need to send original citizenship card and original marriage certificte for cotizenship certificate...???? Bcoz there is written that submit ORIGNALS!!!! Or notarized will be good enough????
If they write to submit originals, they want you to submit originals. They will return them again.

sajuabraham24

Feb 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2013
AOR Received.
25-01-2013
File Transfer...
13-02-2013
Med's Done....
17-11-2012
Passport Req..
07-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2013
LANDED..........
18-11-2013
Hello all,

I am a Canadian citizen (by birth) who recently moved back to Vancouver, Canada in August 2012. I was previously living in Bangalore, India and was living in India from 1990-2012. I got married in 2003 and my wife and I have 3 children all born in India. My wife and children are presently living at our home in Bangalore.

I submitted the application to sponsor my wife and children as permanent residents to CIC Mississauga which they received on January 7, 2013. I received notice from CIC yesterday that I have met the requirements of the sponsor, and now my wife's application has been forwarded to the embassy for processing, which is the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.

The note also explained that since my children have the right to Canadian citizenship (since I was a Canadian citizen when the children were born) they cannot be sponsored but rather eligible for Canadian citizenship. This is something which I was completely unaware of. So does that mean they cannot be sponsored at all and I must obtain their citizenship before they can come to Canada? Last week I received a refund of $450 from CIC - which I assume is the sponsorship fee for 3 dependant children.

I was also reading on CIC's website about the amendment to the Citizenship Act in 2009. I have 3 children:

1. Daughter born Aug 30, 2004
2. Daughter born Aug 12, 2009
3. Daughter born Oct 30, 2011

According to the website, this would make Eva and Aleya citizens already and I need to apply for their proof of citizenship. But for Julia, she would go through the normal sponsorship process. Is this a correct understanding because this was not mentioned clearly in the notice from CIC.

Also my family plans to travel to Canada as soon as my wife's application is approved. I understand that the proof of citizenship may take some time, and therefore if we want to travel as soon as possible, how early can I apply for my children's passport before obtaining the proof of citizenship? Is there a temporary passport that can be issued to all children?

I will greatly appreciate any input from anyone who may have gone through a similar situation, as I could not find very clear information on the CIC or on the india.gc.ca websites.

Thanks very much in advance.
Saju Abraham

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramandhami said:
Do we need to send original citizenship card and original marriage certificte for cotizenship certificate...???? Bcoz there is written that submit ORIGNALS!!!! Or notarized will be good enough????
Why don't ask the Canadian father to go to the local Canadian consulate to apply the citizenship certificate for the child in person. I'm sure the consulate staff will answer the questions and return the originals immediately.

AWS2007

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Visa Office......
syria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2011 application recieved
Doc's Request.
22-08-2011
File Transfer...
amman
Med's Request
first 12 2010, second 26-03-2012
Med's Done....
10-04-2012
LANDED..........
24 Aug 2012
Leon said:
A baby who is born in Canada will get Canadian citizenship unless the parents are diplomats. If the parents are visitors, workers or PR doesn't matter.

Having a baby in Canada when you pay can cost between $5,000 and 10,000 and if there are complications it can be more but with a home birth with a midwife, it could be less.
Thank you very much for your help

sajuabraham24

Feb 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2013
AOR Received.
25-01-2013
File Transfer...
13-02-2013
Med's Done....
17-11-2012
Passport Req..
07-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2013
LANDED..........
18-11-2013
Hello friends,

Appreciate if someone could help me out with my questions:

I have 3 daughters all born in India - one born in Aug 2004, one born in Aug 2009, and one born in Oct 2011. I am a Canadian citizen by birth and my wife is India. I recently moved back to Canada, and the PR application for my wife is under process at the CHC in New Delhi.

Though I included my children as well in the application, I now understand that they cannot be sponsored and I need to obtain their proof of citizenship and limited validity passport.

My questions:

1. According to the CIC website, my eldest daughter born in 2004 is not a Canadian citizen, and therefore I assume she must be sponsored along with my wife. However for the younger two children, since they are born after April 2009 they are already Canadian citizens and I need to apply for their proof of citizenship. Is this correct? I am confused on this since I got a refund from CIC for 3 children. I have sent a mail to the CHC in New Delhi, but am yet to receive a response.

2. Once I apply for the proof of citizenship for the children, what is the process to obtain a temporary / limited validity passport? Does this apply for children only under age 2? Has anyone done this with the CHC in New Delhi?

Appreciate any help or advice from fellow forum members, many thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sajuabraham24 said:
1. According to the CIC website, my eldest daughter born in 2004 is not a Canadian citizen, and therefore I assume she must be sponsored along with my wife. However for the younger two children, since they are born after April 2009 they are already Canadian citizens and I need to apply for their proof of citizenship. Is this correct? I am confused on this since I got a refund from CIC for 3 children. I have sent a mail to the CHC in New Delhi, but am yet to receive a response.

2. Once I apply for the proof of citizenship for the children, what is the process to obtain a temporary / limited validity passport? Does this apply for children only under age 2? Has anyone done this with the CHC in New Delhi?
1. Why do you think that your daughter born in 2004 is not a citizen? You say you are Canadian born so you were already a citizen when she was born.

2. You should apply for their citizenship certificates through CHC in New Delhi. Once you have applied, if your wife already has her PR visa and is ready to go, you can apply for facilitation visas for your daughters instead of temporary passports. Temporary passports are only for children who are under 2. If your daughters already have their citizenship certificates before your wife gets her PR visa, they can apply for normal passports for a minor through the embassy in New Delhi.

sajuabraham24

Feb 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2013
AOR Received.
25-01-2013
File Transfer...
13-02-2013
Med's Done....
17-11-2012
Passport Req..
07-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2013
LANDED..........
18-11-2013
Leon said:
1. Why do you think that your daughter born in 2004 is not a citizen? You say you are Canadian born so you were already a citizen when she was born.

2. You should apply for their citizenship certificates through CHC in New Delhi. Once you have applied, if your wife already has her PR visa and is ready to go, you can apply for facilitation visas for your daughters instead of temporary passports. Temporary passports are only for children who are under 2. If your daughters already have their citizenship certificates before your wife gets her PR visa, they can apply for normal passports for a minor through the embassy in New Delhi.
Many thanks Leon for your response.

1. Leon, I'm saying this because after checking the following page at the CIC website: "See if you may already be a citizen" It says the following:

a. You may already be a citizen if… you were born outside Canada after April 17, 2009, but one parent was born in Canada or naturalized in Canada.

b. You may not be a citizen if… you were born outside Canada on or after April 17, 2009, and neither of your parents was a Canadian citizen born or naturalized in Canada. You were born outside Canada before April 17, 2009, to a Canadian parent, you are not already a citizen or you lost your citizenship in the past, and you were born in the second or next generation abroad (this includes people who failed to retain citizenship.)

That's what's confusing to me.

2. Ok great, thanks again!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sajuabraham24 said:
b. You may not be a citizen if... you were born outside Canada on or after April 17, 2009, and neither of your parents was a Canadian citizen born or naturalized in Canada. You were born outside Canada before April 17, 2009, to a Canadian parent, you are not already a citizen or you lost your citizenship in the past, and you were born in the second or next generation abroad (this includes people who failed to retain citizenship.)
The 2nd or next generation abroad does not apply to your daughter. Because you are Canadian born, she is first generation born abroad. She will however not be able to pass citizenship to her children in the future if they are born outside Canada. Same for your other daughters. All of them will be considered first generation born abroad and if their children are born outside Canada, they will be 2nd generation. However, they are still young so this is a later time problem :)

sajuabraham24

Feb 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2013
AOR Received.
25-01-2013
File Transfer...
13-02-2013
Med's Done....
17-11-2012
Passport Req..
07-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2013
LANDED..........
18-11-2013
Leon said:
The 2nd or next generation abroad does not apply to your daughter. Because you are Canadian born, she is first generation born abroad. She will however not be able to pass citizenship to her children in the future if they are born outside Canada. Same for your other daughters. All of them will be considered first generation born abroad and if their children are born outside Canada, they will be 2nd generation. However, they are still young so this is a later time problem :)
Thanks a lot Leon, I appreciate your help. I'm at bit at ease now.

One last question - I understand that once I have applied for the proof of citizenship for the children, and my wife's PR is ready to go, I can apply for a facilitation visa for them will be stamped on their Indian passports.

But suppose in the case where I do get their proof of citizenship in time, and I apply and get their Canadian passports, what will their status in India be? They cannot have both Indian and Canadian passports since Indian law does not allow dual citizenship, and I assume will have to surrender their Indian passport. Will this be a problem when leaving India? Any thoughts or similar experiences on these lines?

Thanks again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Would India know that they got Canadian passports? Does India perhaps tolerate children with dual citizenship until age 18 or so? If not, you can apply for overseas Indian citizenship for your children (OCI).

sajuabraham24

Feb 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2013
AOR Received.
25-01-2013
File Transfer...
13-02-2013
Med's Done....
17-11-2012
Passport Req..
07-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2013
LANDED..........
18-11-2013
Leon said:
Would India know that they got Canadian passports? Does India perhaps tolerate children with dual citizenship until age 18 or so? If not, you can apply for overseas Indian citizenship for your children (OCI).
Ok Leon, will have to check on that, not sure. I have OCI myself, and that again takes a couple of months to get. I think facilitation visa is the way to go, but let me check with the CHC New Delhi on that too.

Thanks again for all your help!

Aulia

Feb 22, 2013
Hello

I'm an Indonesian. my boyfriend is born and a Canadian citizen
we met first 12years ago, spent good times together as lovers for a month, two years later he visited me in my hometown 2 times in a year. but no committed
we met again 1 of January 2009 (after 6years) that was a miracle! and I have already a daughter from an Indonesian father who I never married
Now me and my canadian boyfriend been together for over 4years, he visits us 4-6 times a year and spend quality time together, inside and outside Indonesia as he works in Canada
I also have visited Canada in summer 2011, a year before get refused
Now that I'm pregnant 4,5months of his child.
As the matter of fact, we are not married yet. In Indonesian law, if we cannot show book of marriage, we will never get certificate of birth for the baby
I wonder (I'm zero knowledge about Canadian law) if we can have citizenship either passport for our children (one child who is not his blood child)???
As a mom I have been feel very selfish & quilty to not provide important thing for our children in the future, papers
as I been so confuse where to go.

Please give me an advise.
Thanking you an advance for your kind attention

Best,
Aulia

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aulia said:
Hello

I'm an Indonesian. my boyfriend is born and a Canadian citizen
we met first 12years ago, spent good times together as lovers for a month, two years later he visited me in my hometown 2 times in a year. but no committed
we met again 1 of January 2009 (after 6years) that was a miracle! and I have already a daughter from an Indonesian father who I never married
Now me and my canadian boyfriend been together for over 4years, he visits us 4-6 times a year and spend quality time together, inside and outside Indonesia as he works in Canada
I also have visited Canada in summer 2011, a year before get refused
Now that I'm pregnant 4,5months of his child.
As the matter of fact, we are not married yet. In Indonesian law, if we cannot show book of marriage, we will never get certificate of birth for the baby
I wonder (I'm zero knowledge about Canadian law) if we can have citizenship either passport for our children (one child who is not his blood child)???
As a mom I have been feel very selfish & quilty to not provide important thing for our children in the future, papers
as I been so confuse where to go.

Please give me an advise.
Thanking you an advance for your kind attention

Best,
Aulia
Your boyfriend needs to sponsor you and your older child for permanent residency of Canada. In order to do that, you must have lived together as a couple for at least a year or you get married. His child will get citizenship automatically but he will have to apply for a citizenship certificate for his child. You and your older child can eventually apply for Canadian citizenship after living in Canada for 3 years.

1. Get married
2. Have him apply to sponsor you and your older child for PR. You will need to prove that you have full custody of your older child or that the father agrees to the childs immigration.
3. When the baby is born, have him apply for a citizenship certificate for the baby, when you get it, get a passport for the baby.
4. When you get your PR visas, move to Canada.
5. After 3 years in Canada as a PR, apply for citizenship for yourself and your older child.
4. When you ge

Aulia

Feb 22, 2013
Leon said:
Your boyfriend needs to sponsor you and your older child for permanent residency of Canada. In order to do that, you must have lived together as a couple for at least a year or you get married. His child will get citizenship automatically but he will have to apply for a citizenship certificate for his child. You and your older child can eventually apply for Canadian citizenship after living in Canada for 3 years.

1. Get married
2. Have him apply to sponsor you and your older child for PR. You will need to prove that you have full custody of your older child or that the father agrees to the childs immigration.
3. When the baby is born, have him apply for a citizenship certificate for the baby, when you get it, get a passport for the baby.
4. When you get your PR visas, move to Canada.
5. After 3 years in Canada as a PR, apply for citizenship for yourself and your older child.
4. When you ge
Dear Leon

Thank you so much for our quick response.

During stay 3 years as PR in Canada, can we go outside Canada?? like an example holiday or visit home Indonesia??