+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
masoud100 said:
My son is not listed on anything as he just got born on January 12, 2013. The Canada Visa Office has taken my wife's passport since September 2012 and have not given her a visa yet as they were waiting for the child to be born. I did not apply for his citizenship as you earlier said to send it same time with everything else. Can you direct me towards the link for citizenship and how much do I have to pay if anything at all? Also I will be sending his Afghan Passport along with the citizenship application, his birth certificate and my citizenship card to prove he is Canadian. Should I send a letter stating that I have sent his Afghan passport so he gets a facilitation visa? What else should I do.
You can see how to apply for a citizenship certificate here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp You should send his Afghan passport, request for a facilitation visa and the application for the citizenship certificate at the same time to the Islamabad embassy.

Hughpc

Aug 29, 2012
I am a Canadian Citizen, born in Canada. My wife and I are having a child outside Canada. We will likely be returning to Canada fairly soon after the child is born (within 3 months). I understand we can get a temporary passport in a few weeks and that the certificate of citizenship takes considerably longer. What if we take our child to Canada on the temporary passport and stay there? What are the next steps?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hughpc said:
I am a Canadian Citizen, born in Canada. My wife and I are having a child outside Canada. We will likely be returning to Canada fairly soon after the child is born (within 3 months). I understand we can get a temporary passport in a few weeks and that the certificate of citizenship takes considerably longer. What if we take our child to Canada on the temporary passport and stay there? What are the next steps?
You have to apply for the citizenship certificate at the embassy before or at the same time you apply for the temporary passport. After you arrive in Canada. The application for the citizenship certificate will continue to be processed and at some point, you will get it.

masoud100

Aug 1, 2012
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon when it says that payment is required is it $75 for my son's citizenship? I was going to pay online from Canada but I found this Note on the payment headline and not sure if my online payment with printed recipt would be acceptable.

"Note. The only acceptable forms of payment outside Canada are on-line or payment directly to the Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate closest to your home.
•Select Pay your fees.
•Select Canadian Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates.

You must choose the consular office responsible for your area."

Please advise

Note: Consular offices cannot accept:
•receipts for fees paid in Canada, or
•personal cheques.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
masoud100 said:
Leon when it says that payment is required is it $75 for my son's citizenship? I was going to pay online from Canada but I found this Note on the payment headline and not sure if my online payment with printed recipt would be acceptable.

"Note. The only acceptable forms of payment outside Canada are on-line or payment directly to the Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate closest to your home.
•Select Pay your fees.
•Select Canadian Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates.

You must choose the consular office responsible for your area.
"

Please advise

Note: Consular offices cannot accept:
•receipts for fees paid in Canada, or
•personal cheques.
The fee is $75 for a citizenship certificate. It says in what you quoted that paying online is ok.

nemr1975

Jan 20, 2013
I have applied for my child 3 months ago in the Canadian consulate but I have not received the acknowledgment letter yet. Is this normal?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
post2shan said:
Hi Friends,

I am an Indian Citizen, born and living in India. My father was a Canadian and thru him I got Canadian Citizenship card when I was 2 years old. Now I wanted to pursue post-graduation in Canada. Since I have the Canadian Citizenship card, I think I can apply for Canadian Passport and start applying to Canadian Universities.
You are dual citizen when you got your Canadian citizenship card.

lioha

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a Canadian Citizen through Naturalization. In the beginning of January I applied for my daugter's (born abroad) citizenship certificate and limited Validity Passport. The usual time it takes is three weeks. This time has passed this week. I wrote to the embassy as I am back in Canada right now, and they told me the person delaing with my file is off till Friday. I am a bit mad right now at the embassy workers as the passport is late. Is there a way to start pushing internally from Canada. Like calling passport Canada or something? I want to travel with my daughter in 2 and a half weeks, but we are stuck because of the passport.

KiranLev

Jun 27, 2012
Hi All,

My husband is a Canadian citizen through naturalization, and I am a Permanant Resident of Canada. Our daughter was born in Pakistan on July 20th 2012 and we came back to Pakistan for her birth, and to sell off some of our remaining property in India and in Pakistan before moving back to Canada again. In November 2012, my husband submitted all the required documentation to the Canadian Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan for our daughter's proof of citizenship. We received a letter from the embassy a few weeks later acknowledging the receipt of the application and advising it would take around 6 months and not to contact the embassy in the interim unless the address changed.

My husband and I wish to return to Canada by mid April 2013, and we are unsure what to do, in order to take our daughter with us. We have called the embassy and left voice mails for the Canadian citizen services officers and have not received any reply.

Do we wait and hope for the proof of citizenship to be sent to us before April or should we/can we apply for a temporary travel document? If we need to apply for a temp travel doc, when should we do so in order to ensure our daughter flys back with us on April 26th 2013? And which specific form should we fill? A visitor visa form?

Hope someone can answer these questions as it seems the embassy is too busy to respond to their voice mails.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KiranLev said:
Do we wait and hope for the proof of citizenship to be sent to us before April or should we/can we apply for a temporary travel document? If we need to apply for a temp travel doc, when should we do so in order to ensure our daughter flys back with us on April 26th 2013? And which specific form should we fill? A visitor visa form?

Hope someone can answer these questions as it seems the embassy is too busy to respond to their voice mails.
Getting a citizenship certificate can often take more than 6 months through an embassy. I would expect that in Islamabad because they are otherwise very slow. If you have proof of travel in April, you can apply for a temporary passport for your baby or a facilitation visa for her Pakistani passport which might be even faster.

KiranLev

Jun 27, 2012
Leon said:
Getting a citizenship certificate can often take more than 6 months through an embassy. I would expect that in Islamabad because they are otherwise very slow. If you have proof of travel in April, you can apply for a temporary passport for your baby or a facilitation visa for her Pakistani passport which might be even faster.
Thanks Leon.Supposing I dont hear anything from the embassy between now and end of March - what form would I need to apply for the 'facilitation visa' on her Pakistani passport?Will it be the same form that folks use for a visitor visa? I'm not sure when to bite the bullet and just apply for the visa -- maybe I should just apply for the facilitation visa right now and if I get her proof of citizenship in the meantime, I can let the embassy know accordingly...?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KiranLev said:
Thanks Leon.Supposing I dont hear anything from the embassy between now and end of March - what form would I need to apply for the 'facilitation visa' on her Pakistani passport?Will it be the same form that folks use for a visitor visa? I'm not sure when to bite the bullet and just apply for the visa -- maybe I should just apply for the facilitation visa right now and if I get her proof of citizenship in the meantime, I can let the embassy know accordingly...?
I have not found the forms online so either you talk to the embassy or try to use the visitor visa form but making comments or a cover letter stating that you are applying for a facilitation visa for your child. It would be a good idea to apply for the proof of citizenship at the same time. You can read some info about facilitation visas here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp

khtaana

Sep 21, 2012
i.Solo said:
Hey masoud, If Pakistan is so bad than why are you allowing your wife to stay in Pakistan? Wouldn't it be nice that if she move back to Afghanistan? It will be safer for her there. If I were you I wouldn't allow my wife to stay in such a "currupt" country.

Instead of bashing Pakistan in immigration forum, why not simply shift your wife to Afghanistan or India?

I don't mind my Afghanistani brother and sister living in my country. But if they bash Pakistan on every occasion than one must wonder why they are still living there? Offcourse you were not forced to live in Pakistan.
Living in Pakistan (for foreigners) is a privilege. Same like us living here in Canada. If we don't like Canada we are more than welcome to move out of here. Same applies to you. Don't like Pakistan. Just move out. simple is that.
Good show Bro... ;)

And I would suggest again to move your wife to Afghanistan as living in Pakistan ( "A very dangerous country") may impact on your son personality.
And lastly as we say in urdu "a gairat mund" husband won't allow his wife to live in such undesireable place. So please move back.
And no needs to thank for my suggestion. you are very welcome.

masoud100

Aug 1, 2012
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Leone i paid the proof of citizenship fee which was $75. It gave me a reciept at the end with name, client date of birth, client ID, Address, Postal Code, Area Code and Telephone Number. Since I will be sending to Islamabad from Pakistan prior to leaving for Pakistan what should I put the address, Area Code, Telephone and Postal Code? Canada or Pakistan? Client Date of Birth I am guessing is going to be my son's Date of birth. But what do I write in Client ID?

masoud100

Aug 1, 2012
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also Leone while asking for Facilitation visa how should I write it? I am planning on sending my childs citizenship application, recipt of payment, his passport, my citizenship card to prove he is canadian, my son's birth certificate and also date of travel of my wife, son and me from Pakistan to Canada. What shall I write in a letter requesting facilitation visa, and what should I write regarding my wife's passport which was sent in September and has not come back yet. I do not want to get my son's visa without them giving my wife's visa.