+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

maiet

May 31, 2013
Leon said:
In order for your daughter to board a plane to Canada, she will need either a Canadian passport or a facilitation visa. The citizenship certificate is not a travel document and the airline may not be willing to take the risk to transport her. You have really left it late to take care of this if your visa is expiring in September. Can your daughter stay with someone while you go and land?
when I begin my application for permanente residente and my daughter's Canadian certificate I had a immigration consultant she didn't tell me about that. after when my husband (he is canada) bought the flights (3 days before from today) somebody tell him about that, excuse my ignorance about all this. Is there a possibility that I can get a emergency travel document for her?
Im so worry!!!!!
thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to ask the Canadian embassy where you are staying about that, how fast you can get a facilitation visa or a passport. Is your husband in Canada? He can check if he can submit an express application for a passport for her and fed-ex it to you.

maiet

May 31, 2013
Leon said:
You have to ask the Canadian embassy where you are staying about that, how fast you can get a facilitation visa or a passport. Is your husband in Canada? He can check if he can submit an express application for a passport for her and fed-ex it to you.
thanks Leon

Unhappy

Mar 29, 2013
Sorry if I missed the country you are in. It can make a big difference on the advice we have for you. Emergency passports are very, very fast to get, if you show an urgent need and travel tickets. The best thing to do however is go straight to the embassy....call first and see if you need an appointment. Do bring all documents you need or they might ask for. I got mine in the Philippines in like a couple of days. It's the only department in the Canadian gov that ever left a positive impression on me.

chenh

Aug 26, 2014
Hi, I would really appreciate if someone experienced can help me out here.

My wife and I are both Canadians. We plan to deliver our first child in Taiwan this October (we both have Taiwan citizenship as well), and we will come back to Canada near the end of December since we live in Canada.

My Questions are:

1) Taiwan's birth certificate will have English name translating from Mandarin, however when we apply Canada citizenship card and temporary passport for our baby, we would like to use her English name (not the translated one from Mandarin), how can we do that? Will Canadian officials allow us using a different name than what is shown on Taiwan's birth certificate?

2) Can we just apply the temporary passport for the baby and wait to come back to Canada to apply the citizenship card? Or it is better we apply the citizenship card in Taiwan and ask them to mail it to our address in Canada?

3) Where I can find the details to apply for the temporary passport and citizenship card?

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
chenh said:
1) Taiwan's birth certificate will have English name translating from Mandarin, however when we apply Canada citizenship card and temporary passport for our baby, we would like to use her English name (not the translated one from Mandarin), how can we do that? Will Canadian officials allow us using a different name than what is shown on Taiwan's birth certificate?

2) Can we just apply the temporary passport for the baby and wait to come back to Canada to apply the citizenship card? Or it is better we apply the citizenship card in Taiwan and ask them to mail it to our address in Canada?

3) Where I can find the details to apply for the temporary passport and citizenship card?
Hi

1. Looks like it must be the name from the Taiwanese birth certificate. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0001ETOC.asp

Name change

The name on your citizenship certificate will be the same as the one shown on your previous citizenship certificate, if you had one, or your birth certificate or your foreign passport if you are applying for the first time unless you provide one of the following documents as proof of a change of name:

- a copy of a legal change of name document, court order or adoption order issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada; or a marriage certificate, divorce decree, registration or declaration of union, or revocation of declaration or annulment of union issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada, showing your new name, unless you have been married in and are currently a resident of Quebec; and
- an identification document or card issued by a province or territory of Canada that displays the new name, such as a driver’s license, a health card, an age of majority card, a senior citizen’s identification card or social service card.

Important information. Once processing of your application has begun a name change can only be made due to an administrative error made by the Department, or a legal change of name.

2. No. You cannot obtain a temporary Canadian passport for the child without having submitted the Certificate of Citizenship app. The other option would be to travel to Canada using the child's Taiwanese passport and applying for the Certificate of Citizenship in Canada; however, be aware that not having proof of citizenship (either the certificate or the temp passport) may result in problems obtaining provincial healthcare for her.

3. http://www.canada.org.tw/taiwan/consular_services_consulaires/citizenship-citoyennete.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=101
http://www.canada.org.tw/taiwan/consular_services_consulaires/passport-passeports.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=102

chenh

Aug 26, 2014
Thank you canuck_in_uk, so if we apply both together and come back in December will that be OK to apply for Ontario health care or I must get the citizenship certificate before my baby can apply for Ontario OHIP? Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
chenh said:
Thank you canuck_in_uk, so if we apply both together and come back in December will that be OK to apply for Ontario health care or I must get the citizenship certificate before my baby can apply for Ontario OHIP? Thanks.
The child's temporary Canadian passport will suffice for proof of citizenship for OHIP.

chenh

Aug 26, 2014
My child is going to be born abroad, my wife and I are Canadians and we will take our child back after we spend 8 weeks there in Taiwan.

I know I need to apply for our child's Canada Citizenship Certificate and a temporary passport in order to travel back, however can someone help me to understand what is required and where is the application form for the temporary passport?

I look at Passport Canada site under "Canadian Abroad" and I only see an application form for child regular passport application, is that the same application form to use?

Thanks a lot

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
chenh said:
I know I need to apply for our child's Canada Citizenship Certificate and a temporary passport in order to travel back, however can someone help me to understand what is required and where is the application form for the temporary passport?

I look at Passport Canada site under "Canadian Abroad" and I only see an application form for child regular passport application, is that the same application form to use?
There is no special application for a temporary passport; use the regular passport application.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
canuck_in_uk said:
There is no special application for a temporary passport; use the regular passport application.
How does a child get a temporary Canadian travel document without showing citizenship certificate as proof?

You can't get a Canadian Passport until you have certificate in hand or Canadian birth certificate.

Just curious as to how this is done.

Screech339

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
How does a child get a temporary Canadian travel document without showing citizenship certificate as proof?

You can't get a Canadian Passport until you have certificate in hand or Canadian birth certificate.

Just curious as to how this is done.

Screech339
There is an allowance made for children under the age of two and emergency travel, see here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp Older children would be issued a facilitation visa under the same circumstances.

kbiftu

Aug 22, 2014
Hi every one. I applied citizenship certificate for my 3 years old son in September 2011. Processing centre received my sons application November 20 2011 and started processing December 22 2011. After one year and half they asked me to do DNA test and then I did DNA test . 99.999% is my son. Now close to 3 years still on process. Call centre wrote 3 message to processing centre. No response. I contacted my Mp and now 4 messages sent. Please any advice?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Leon said:
There is an allowance made for children under the age of two and emergency travel, see here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp Older children would be issued a facilitation visa under the same circumstances.
Thanks Leon for providing this link. Not that it applies to my case but good to be more informed on the subject manner.

Screech339

HELP2012

May 28, 2012
Dear Leon and anyone who can help, I just received my PR through my canadian husband, but the only problem now is that our son's proof of citizen certificate is not out yet, even though we applied for this in May last year already.
My PR visa will expire by the 18 th of September 2014 already as my medicals will expire then.
We have however gone ahead an asked for a visitors visa for our son just so I can get to canada before the 18th to finalize my PR visa, do you think we have done the right think? Or can we still apply for our son's emergency passport? He's still under 2.

Does he have a good chance to get a visitors visa in his South African Passport?

Looking forward to your advises with many thanks