Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
hutch said:
Question

I was born in America, adopted by Americans both biological parents are Canadians ( we have reunited ) Can I have Candian citizenship if so will I need an DNA test to prove they are my biological parents Thank you
Leon said:
Do you have a birth certificate showing them as your parents? A legal adoption normally severs the ties between a child and the biological parents. However, you can of course try to apply and see what happens.
Wow, what a really interesting question!

I'm not sure I agree with Leon here - I think a birth certificate showing Canadian parents will work (assuming your birth certificate does list your parents, or at least your Canadian mother). Your birth parents were your parents at birth, until the adoption legally took place, and birth to Canadian parents established your citizenship tie to Canada. The adoption severed the legal ties with your birth parents, and created ties with your adoptive parents, but it would not change your legal ties with Canada. So, I believe that you actually are already a Canadian citizen, you just need to apply for proof. If you don't have a birth certificate with their names (or at least your birth mother's name), I still think it would be possible, but you'll have more bureaucratic hoops to go through. Section 8A of the application lets you fill in your birth parents' information as the basis for your citizenship: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/citizen/CIT0001E.pdf I believe you'll also need to provide certified copies of your birth parents' own birth certificates to prove that they were born in Canada.

Let us know how it goes!

omarmrls

May 17, 2014
Hello there: I am a Canadian citizen, working in China Living with a Chinese woman for five years, at the 3 years living together we have a baby girl, we went on Nov. 23 2012 to apply for a proof of citizenship for my daughter born in Jinhua Zhejiang, China on 17 FEB 2012. today May 17 2014 we still haven't receive no information how the application is going, they said they transfer the application to a different department for harder cases. what can be hard case, she is my daughter.

What can I do to get any news about my daughter application, any help will be appreciated.

Kev

Nov 13, 2010
Does anybody know how long it should be to get an acknowledgement for an application for a citizenship certificate? We sent in my grandbaby's application and documents almost 2 months ago and have not got a thing back saying they received the application.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
omarmrls said:
Hello there: I am a Canadian citizen, working in China Living with a Chinese woman for five years, at the 3 years living together we have a baby girl, we went on Nov. 23 2012 to apply for a proof of citizenship for my daughter born in Jinhua Zhejiang, China on 17 FEB 2012. today May 17 2014 we still haven't receive no information how the application is going, they said they transfer the application to a different department for harder cases. what can be hard case, she is my daughter.

What can I do to get any news about my daughter application, any help will be appreciated.
Walk into the Canadian consulate and make an enquiry.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kev said:
Does anybody know how long it should be to get an acknowledgement for an application for a citizenship certificate? We sent in my grandbaby's application and documents almost 2 months ago and have not got a thing back saying they received the application.
Why don't you submit the application in person?

hutch

May 15, 2014
I have have no adoption papers with my biological parents name on them, they were very young ( teenagers) I have contact with both as they never did get married. I just would like to prove that i am Canadian and hope to move to my new found families business. can anyone direct me as to what I should do?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hutch said:
I have have no adoption papers with my biological parents name on them, they were very young ( teenagers) I have contact with both as they never did get married. I just would like to prove that i am Canadian and hope to move to my new found families business. can anyone direct me as to what I should do?
You could try applying. You can find the application forms here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp

Write a letter explaining the situation and state that you are willing to do a DNA test to prove that they are your parents.

Kev

Nov 13, 2010
steaky said:
Why don't you submit the application in person?
We don't live in Canada and the Canada Embassy in Atlanta said to send the papers and documents to the centre in Canada

omarmrls

May 17, 2014
steaky said:
Walk into the Canadian consulate and make an enquiry.
I been asking about my daughter application after half year of the first moment we apply, and they said the same thing, the case is a hard case, I really do not know what they are thinking, I gave them the hospital record and the document they ask with the application. after half yearthey gave me a file number to fallow up the process, but that file number do not take me anywhere.

omarmrls

May 17, 2014
This is what they said just today::::::

Thank you for your enquiry. You can use the file number to track the status at Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s website since we do not process the application for citizenship certificate, we do not have more information than what is provided by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Should you have supporting documentation to request express service from Citizenship and Immigration Canada, we will forward your request accordingly.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
Leon said:
You could try applying. You can find the application forms here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp

Write a letter explaining the situation and state that you are willing to do a DNA test to prove that they are your parents.
It might be worth a phone call, too, before submitting the application. If you can get a helpful agent they might be able to give you guidance on how best to do the application. Or you could hire a lawyer, but I would think the DNA test would be proof enough.

skwan

Star Member
Jun 11, 2014
I'm new here and I have many questions and each leads to another but the main one to this topic is

As my wife is giving birth to our child in October in Uganda, what is the procedure to register him/her as a citizen once born?
What is the processing time and which application form and requirements do we need?

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Kev said:
I had the same problem -- asking the embassy for an acknowledgement that Immigration had received the application for my son's citizenship certificate. I tried to make it clear I wasn't asking about a decision; just for an assurance that the application had been received.

No joy: the embassy kept repeating the normal time frames for a decision, and told me to be patient.

About 5 months later, after I followed up each month, asking the same question, the embassy told me to come in and collect the citizenship certificate. So, I guess they are not good with acknowledgements of receipt, but in my case were much faster than expected with the actual certificate.

The problem, I agree, is the uncertainty: waiting and not knowing.

Quickbendelat

Jun 21, 2014
I automatically got my citizenship when my father became a naturalized citizen (I was 12 years at the time, and have the wallet size certificate). I am married and I am expecting a child soon. I am working outside of Canada currently and most likely will be working outside of Canada when my child is born.

My wife has a Turkish citizenship (which is also my dual citizenship). With the change in the citizenship act in 2013, I believe my child can obtain a Proof of Citizenship Born Abroad certificate (can't quite remember the name) and be considered a full citizen.

For the past 2 years as I have been working outside, I claimed non-residency because I only come into the country for a few months in the summer during my vacation time.

Will this non-residency affect the citizenship of my child (I believe it shouldn't but with the new changes I am not sure)? Would it be best if I reclaim residents status?

Any and all information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

E

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Quickbendelat said:
I automatically got my citizenship when my father became a naturalized citizen (I was 12 years at the time, and have the wallet size certificate). I am married and I am expecting a child soon. I am working outside of Canada currently and most likely will be working outside of Canada when my child is born.

My wife has a Turkish citizenship (which is also my dual citizenship). With the change in the citizenship act in 2013, I believe my child can obtain a Proof of Citizenship Born Abroad certificate (can't quite remember the name) and be considered a full citizen.

For the past 2 years as I have been working outside, I claimed non-residency because I only come into the country for a few months in the summer during my vacation time.

Will this non-residency affect the citizenship of my child (I believe it shouldn't but with the new changes I am not sure)? Would it be best if I reclaim residents status?

Any and all information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

E
You will apply for proof of citizenship: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp for your child through the embassy or visa office nearest to you.

Residency in Canada is not important. You are a naturalized citizen and so you can pass citizenship to your child. Your child will however be a citizen based on parentage and will according to the current law not be able to pass citizenship to his or her children.