+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

LFLEE

Jun 26, 2013
Hi,

This seems to be a great forum, can anyone help me with this issue.
I'm a Canadian citizen living in Hong Kong, married and will be having our first baby.
Would it be easier to: a) apply for citizenship directly for my child or
b) sponsor him/her for PR if we decide to move to Canada in the future
The reason I ask this is because on my Hong Kong permanent resident ID is my chinese name LF Lee (and also my birth cert., marriage cert). Unfortunately on my Canadian citizenship card/passport is my english name Alvin Lee (I had my chinese name deleted when I was a teen)
I was going to use my passport as identification to obtain my child's birth certificate, but they also require
my marriage certificate, which is not the name on my passport. What can I do in this case?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LFLEE said:
Hi,

This seems to be a great forum, can anyone help me with this issue.
I'm a Canadian citizen living in Hong Kong, married and will be having our first baby.
Would it be easier to: a) apply for citizenship directly for my child or
b) sponsor him/her for PR if we decide to move to Canada in the future
The reason I ask this is because on my Hong Kong permanent resident ID is my chinese name LF Lee (and also my birth cert., marriage cert). Unfortunately on my Canadian citizenship card/passport is my english name Alvin Lee (I had my chinese name deleted when I was a teen)
I was going to use my passport as identification to obtain my child's birth certificate, but they also require
my marriage certificate, which is not the name on my passport. What can I do in this case?
How do you get your Canadian citizenship in the first place?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LFLEE said:
Through naturalization.
In this case, the child is not eligible to be sponsor as PR. You have to go to the Canadian consulate located in Central, complete the form and apply a Canadian citizenship certificate for the child. For more info, check the consulate's website.

LFLEE

Jun 26, 2013
steaky said:
In this case, the child is not eligible to be sponsor as PR. You have to go to the Canadian consulate located in Central, complete the form and apply a Canadian citizenship certificate for the child. For more info, check the consulate's website.
Will this be a problem if my name on my child's birth certificate is not the same name as on my passport?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LFLEE said:
Will this be a problem if my name on my child's birth certificate is not the same name as on my passport?
I don't think this is an issue. However, you can go to the consulate, ask them and check it out.

OMFS

Jun 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your detailed and helpful response!

It is truly appreciated.

Have a great weekend!

Stormthunder

Star Member
Mar 24, 2013
Hi there!!!! I'm from Philippines under family class....is it possible for me to apply for my sons temporary visa wyl his proof of citizenship is still in process???....I also submitted our requested passports and other documents and wondering y it's taking so long to give back my passport with stamped visa for its already 3 months that dey holding it on der hands...please advise me what the ryt thing to do...our medical wil be expiring on the 10th of July....thanks so much

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Stormthunder said:
Hi there!!!! I'm from Philippines under family class....is it possible for me to apply for my sons temporary visa wyl his proof of citizenship is still in process???....I also submitted our requested passports and other documents and wondering y it's taking so long to give back my passport with stamped visa for its already 3 months that dey holding it on der hands...please advise me what the ryt thing to do...our medical wil be expiring on the 10th of July....thanks so much
1. If he is under 2 you can apply for a limited validity passport. If he is over 2 you can apply for a F1 Facilitation visa.

Stormthunder

Star Member
Mar 24, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

1. If he is under 2 you can apply for a limited validity passport. If he is over 2 you can apply for a F1 Facilitation visa.

So is it ok if I apply even thoug I haven't yet received my visa ????

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Stormthunder said:
So is it ok if I apply even thoug I haven't yet received my visa ????
Yes, you can. Note you have to have proof that one of the child's parents is a Canadian citizen.

Stormthunder

Star Member
Mar 24, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

Yes, you can. Note you have to have proof that one of the child's parents is a Canadian citizen.
Yes I have with me my husbands Canadian citizenship card...I showed it when I applied for our sons proof of citizenship ....thanks so much....now I know what to do...need to focus on what papers should I bring....would u mind to give me links on
What are the requirements needed to obtain validity passport ...

Maria1986

Aug 5, 2013
My husband had a child abroad. He has been naturalized canadian citizen
for many years prior to child's birth. We are seeking for the to release consent
for the child to move to Canada with us. We will be applying for the child's citizenship
but from what we understand this make take 10+ months to happen :'(. I read in the forum
about a temporary passport that is available. Has any one have experience
With a temporary passports? We are trying to figure out wht would
be the best and quickest procedure to bring him.

Ps. Child is 10 years old and lives in El Salvador.
My husband has been a naturalized canadian citizen since he was 5 years old.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maria1986 said:
My husband had a child abroad. He has been naturalized canadian citizen
for many years prior to child's birth. We are seeking for the to release consent
for the child to move to Canada with us. We will be applying for the child's citizenship
but from what we understand this make take 10+ months to happen :'(. I read in the forum
about a temporary passport that is available. Has any one have experience
With a temporary passports? We are trying to figure out wht would
be the best and quickest procedure to bring him.

Ps. Child is 10 years old and lives in El Salvador.
My husband has been a naturalized canadian citizen since he was 5 years old.
Here are the processing times for a citizenship certificate: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/certif-processing.asp As you see, if applied inside Canada for a person who is in Canada, 6 months. If applied through an embassy 9 to 10 months and if applied in Canada for a person outside Canada 12 to 14 months so it is definitely best to apply in El Salvador.

If you have an urgent need for the child to travel sooner than the citizenship certificate can be issued, you can apply for a facilitation visa for the child, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp You would have to apply for the citizenship certificate first or at the same time. Show why it is urgent that the child travels as soon as possible.

A temporary passport is not an option as the child is older than 2.

Maria1986

Aug 5, 2013
[quote As you see, if applied inside Canada for a person who is in Canada, 6 months. If applied through an embassy 9 to 10 months and if applied in Canada for a person outside Canada 12 to 14 months so it is definitely best to apply in El Salvador.

If you have an urgent need for the child to travel sooner than the citizenship certificate can be issued, you can apply for a facilitation visa for the child, You would have to apply for the citizenship certificate first or at the same time.

[/quote]

Yes it's a long process indeed. Applying in El Salvador doesn't seem to be a option as we would need to find someone other than the mother to do this for us. We have tried to get this process started many years ago with
Her but something always seem to happen that prevented her to do this. Anyways.... Would he be required to go to El Salvador to complete the application or would he be able to complete everything from here. Of course with the proper documentation. We want to avoid going to El Salvador until we are able to pick him up and bring him to Calgary with us.