+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

PAKCAN

Feb 10, 2013
Hi, I am a Canadian Citizen and working in a private industry in Dubai. My wife is a Pakistani Citizen currently in Lahore and she is expecting a baby in February 2013. The baby is to be born in Lahore Pakistan. Can I apply for Limited Validity Passport & Citizenship for the New Born at Canadian Embassy in Islamabad or Canadian Consulate in Dubai. If someone has experience of being dealt at Islamabad or Dubai. Please Help and advise soon which is better option to apply Islamabad or Dubai ? and which documents I need to submit with the application. :-\

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PAKCAN said:
Hi, I am a Canadian Citizen and working in a private industry in Dubai. My wife is a Pakistani Citizen currently in Lahore and she is expecting a baby in February 2013. The baby is to be born in Lahore Pakistan. Can I apply for Limited Validity Passport & Citizenship for the New Born at Canadian Embassy in Islamabad or Canadian Consulate in Dubai. If someone has experience of being dealt at Islamabad or Dubai. Please Help and advise soon which is better option to apply Islamabad or Dubai ? and which documents I need to submit with the application. :-\
If the baby is a second generation born-abroad, then he is not a Canadian citizen. You must sponsor him to come to Canada.

PAKCAN

Feb 10, 2013
I AM A CANADIAN CITIZEN BY NATURALIZATION. THE CHILD IS FIRST GENERATION AND IS ELIGIBLE FOR CITIZENSHIP AS BORN TO A CANADIAN PARENT.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
If the baby is a second generation born-abroad, then he is not a Canadian citizen. You must sponsor him to come to Canada.
That only applies if the Canadian citizen parent gained citizenship by being born outside Canada to Canadian parents himself. If the Canadian parent immigrated to Canada, he can pass citizenship to his children same as a Canadian who was born in Canada.

PAKCAN: As for your questions, read the older posts on this thread. All the instructions and links are already there.

PAKCAN

Feb 10, 2013
Should I apply for Limited Validity Passport & Citizenship for the New Born at Canadian Embassy in Islamabad or Canadian Consulate in Dubai.
If someone has experience of being dealt at Islamabad or Dubai CHC offices.
Please Help and advise soon which is better & quick turn-out option,
whether to apply at Islamabad or at Dubai ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Islamabad is notorious for being extremely slow, that much I can tell you. I would try Dubai.

AWS2007

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Visa Office......
syria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2011 application recieved
Doc's Request.
22-08-2011
File Transfer...
amman
Med's Request
first 12 2010, second 26-03-2012
Med's Done....
10-04-2012
LANDED..........
24 Aug 2012
Hi,

Excuse me I want to ask if a pregnant lady come to Canada as a visitor, and she delivered in Canada can the baby get the Canadian citizen and Canadian passport or not
thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AWS2007 said:
Hi,

Excuse me I want to ask if a pregnant lady come to Canada as a visitor, and she delivered in Canada can the baby get the Canadian citizen and Canadian passport or not
thanks
She can but she will have to pay her own hospital bills and it can get very expensive.

ramandhami

Jan 8, 2013
Punjab,India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2012
AOR Received.
10-10-2012
File Transfer...
30-10-2012
Med's Done....
12-09-2012
Passport Req..
10-11-2012
My permanent residence application is in process under family sponsorship from india. I gave birth to a baby on 8th february. Het father is canadian citizen.what do i need to do after i get her birth certificate. What is the afterward process?? Does she need visa to travel to canada??? Or any other travel document?please suggest me best options..i dont have any representative.

Does father need to sponsor the child too ??? Or just we need the citizenship certificate of the baby???

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ramandhami said:
My permanent residence application is in process under family sponsorship from india. I gave birth to a baby on 8th february. Het father is canadian citizen.what do i need to do after i get her birth certificate. What is the afterward process?? Does she need visa to travel to canada??? Or any other travel document?please suggest me best options..i dont have any representative.

Does father need to sponsor the child too ??? Or just we need the citizenship certificate of the baby???
1. If the father was a Canadian citizen at the time of the child's birth and didn't receive his citizenship through descent, (descent would be that he was born abroad and received his citizenship as one of his parents was a Canadian citizen at the time of his birth)then the child is a Canadian citizen.
2. You apply for proof of citizenship for the child by sending the application to ND, see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp As the child will be under 2 you can apply for a limited validity Canadian passport for the child.
3. The child is not included in the application. You amend your IMM 5406 to include the child, and send a copy of his/her birth certificate to the processing office.

ramandhami

Jan 8, 2013
Punjab,India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2012
AOR Received.
10-10-2012
File Transfer...
30-10-2012
Med's Done....
12-09-2012
Passport Req..
10-11-2012
Thanks for the nice replies..this helped me a lot..
Another thing i want to ask is....usually how long it take to get the citizenship certificate??
I saw the link and there is an option for "urgent request " which deals with some particular cases...does my case comes into urgent??? As i need the certificate for making travelling to canada easy for my baby..

And the other thing is..where should i apply for citizenship certificate new delhi high commision or canada???

When should i apply for citizenship certifiacte of the baby ? Because most probably i will get my passport back in late march or mid april...
And what about limited validity passport??
Do i need to apply for baby's indian passport too??or only LVP will be enough for it???

Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apply for the citizenship certificate in New Delhi. When you get your PR visa, buy your tickets and then show the tickets to apply for a temporary passport for the child.

ramandhami

Jan 8, 2013
Punjab,India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2012
AOR Received.
10-10-2012
File Transfer...
30-10-2012
Med's Done....
12-09-2012
Passport Req..
10-11-2012
Thanks leon!!! I fell so relaxed now!!!

One more question..

There is written that submitt original citizenship card. And marriage certificate..shoud i really need to submitt original ones or just notarized will be good??

AWS2007

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Visa Office......
syria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2011 application recieved
Doc's Request.
22-08-2011
File Transfer...
amman
Med's Request
first 12 2010, second 26-03-2012
Med's Done....
10-04-2012
LANDED..........
24 Aug 2012
Leon said:
She can but she will have to pay her own hospital bills and it can get very expensive.
Please there`s any place can I be sure about that we are in Nova Scotia, because some people said to me maybe the baby get it but maybe they will ask them to stay in Canada for a time is this true, and some people said because she is a visitor and don`t has permanent resident maybe the baby didn't get the Canadian passport, and please how much the hospital cost if you know.

thank you very much

ramandhami

Jan 8, 2013
Punjab,India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2012
AOR Received.
10-10-2012
File Transfer...
30-10-2012
Med's Done....
12-09-2012
Passport Req..
10-11-2012
Do we need to send original citizenship card and original marriage certificte for cotizenship certificate...???? Bcoz there is written that submit ORIGNALS!!!! Or notarized will be good enough????