Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08/03/2018
VISA ISSUED...
04/04/2018
LANDED..........
27/05/2018
Becoming permanent residents then going through the citizenship process (application, interview, passing the test, oath) is called naturalization. But the question asks if the grandparent (your parent) was a Canadian citizen at the time of your birth (I'm assuming that you are filing this form out for your child?). So if you were naturalized at the same time as your parents (because children don't need to go through the process), then I think you would check "No" in the boxes and write N/A in all of the accompanying spaces, because you were born before your parents became citizens.
"If the applicant's parent was born outside Canada (yes, me the father), was one his/her parents (ie one of the Applicant's grandparents)(my parents) a Canadian citizen at the time of his/her birth?(not sure his/her is referring to)"

is 'his/her birth' referring to me, the parent of the child?

please dont mind the color of the fonts. i am trying to visual the whole wording

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Yes, I think that is what it means based on how the question is worded. Since it was established the first "his/her" referred to the applicant's parent, I would assume the second "his/her" would have the same inference.

If they meant to ask if the grandparents were citizens when the applicant was born, I believe they would have written it as "...at the time of the applicant's birth?". Unfortunately, I'm not a grammar expert so that I how I interpreted the question. For absolute clarity, I believe you should contact call IRCC and ask them :confused:.

Reactions: 07292015

Mikhailah

Apr 8, 2018
I am canadian through naturalization. I was naturalized 2010 and moved to the US since 2011 till today. I plan on moving back to canada with my children (1st born was born in canada, 2nd is born here in the us). My problem is how to bring my 2nd born son. What kind of process or forms do i need for him. When i called, i was told to apply for my 2nd son's canadian certificate. But the more I read, the more I doubt the info given to me. Is that correct? Or Do i have to sponsor him instead? Please help. I'm looking to move by the end of the year.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
I am canadian through naturalization. I was naturalized 2010 and moved to the US since 2011 till today. I plan on moving back to canada with my children (1st born was born in canada, 2nd is born here in the us). My problem is how to bring my 2nd born son. What kind of process or forms do i need for him. When i called, i was told to apply for my 2nd son's canadian certificate. But the more I read, the more I doubt the info given to me. Is that correct? Or Do i have to sponsor him instead? Please help. I'm looking to move by the end of the year.
Your second son is a dual American-Canadian citizen by descent, so you can apply for his citizenship certificate now. Processing time is quoted to be 5 months on the IRCC website, but routine cases have been reported to only take less than 2 months, so you have plenty of time until the end of the year to get it. You should get his US passport today though, as you need to supply copies of 2 pieces of identification for your son with one requiring a photo; the passport should suffice for that requirement.

ch_wa

Star Member
May 13, 2012
Hi,

I see decision made for my minor child citizenship application and there is a note that they sent correspondence asking for information/documents but I never received any email. I called IRCC agent and he said they asked for PR cards to complete application. He said he will put a note to immigration officer to resend the correspondence but this email could take 15 or 20 days. Is this normal timeline to resend a communication if the first email did not reach? Secondly, do they send such correspondence normally by email or postal mail. Any advice or further guidance would be highly appreciated.

Nadaichrak

Aug 15, 2018
Hi . I was born outside canada and my father has the canadien citizenship but i don't have any contact with him he's alive but i don't know how to get to him . So i was wondering if there is anything that i can do to see what my chances in getting the candian citizenship are
Thanks so much

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi . I was born outside canada and my father has the canadien citizenship but i don't have any contact with him he's alive but i don't know how to get to him . So i was wondering if there is anything that i can do to see what my chances in getting the candian citizenship are
Thanks so much
Was your father born in Canada or did he become a naturalized Canadian citizen before you were born?

Reactions: Nadaichrak

Nadaichrak

Aug 15, 2018
Was your father born in Canada or did he become a naturalized Canadian citizen before you were born?
He became a naturalized candian before i was born and then he married my mom in here and 2 years after i was born he left to canada and we didn't hear from him since then he was calling for a while and then everything just stopped . Then few years ago my mother got divorced

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He became a naturalized candian before i was born and then he married my mom in here and 2 years after i was born he left to canada and we didn't hear from him since then he was calling for a while and then everything just stopped . Then few years ago my mother got divorced
If your father was a naturalized Canadian when you were born, then, yes, you are a Canadian citizen. However, you need proof of citizenship, which you would apply for through the Canadian consulate in your country (unless you are in the USA). The application information is here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-citizenship-certificate-adults-minors.html

The problem you are going to run into is that in addition to a copy (certified or original) of your birth certificate containing your parents' names, you need to supply a certified copy of your father's naturalization certificate. If you don't have any contact with him, I don't know how you would get that document.

You can apply to have a search made of citizenship records (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-search-citizenship-records.html), but if the search concerns another person who is living, you need that person's permission.

Reactions: Nadaichrak

Nadaichrak

Aug 15, 2018
If your father was a naturalized Canadian when you were born, then, yes, you are a Canadian citizen. However, you need proof of citizenship, which you would apply for through the Canadian consulate in your country (unless you are in the USA). The application information is here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-citizenship-certificate-adults-minors.html

The problem you are going to run into is that in addition to a copy (certified or original) of your birth certificate containing your parents' names, you need to supply a certified copy of your father's naturalization certificate. If you don't have any contact with him, I don't know how you would get that document.

You can apply to have a search made of citizenship records (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-search-citizenship-records.html), but if the search concerns another person who is living, you need that person's permission.
Thank you so so much . That was really usefull and that's all i needed to know things are more clear now thanks again

RGJ83

Feb 28, 2019
Hey guys....Has anyone in this group done a Paternity test as requested after proof of citizenship application was submitted?

RGJ83

Feb 28, 2019
No idea about that
Thank you....I hope someone within the forum who has any experience can share that information ....additionally if the results shows that the father is the biological father ; can any sort of document be requested for the child to travel to Canada before the citizenship certificate is issued