+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

Keith Moon

Feb 4, 2017
The thing I really want clarification on is whether I can put my name on the affidavit affirming "true copy" or if it has to be my wife's name. I'm guessing that mine is OK but there is very definitely ambiguity here. The whole "true copy" thing is not even mentioned in the Canadian government's web site or on any of the docs they provide AFAIK.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ah, my interpretation was different. I don't consider that I'm applying again - I'm resendng the existing application after having checked "Option 1". So I consider this still our first application. To me applying again would mean sending out a completely new application because we DID receive citizenship certificates but needed replacement for whatever reason - starting from scratch as it were. But to the extent that reasonable people can have differing opinions on this underscores the inherent ambiguity.

For the record, I'm NOT having my wife's Citizenship Certificate recertified. I don't believe it's required or necessary because I'm merely submitting the same application.
By "apply again" I mean because (say) I want an updated certificate. I have a citizenship card bearing my photo. This photo naturally gets out of date. Another thing the card is lacking is the effective date of citizenship (i.e. my date of birth). On the other hand, the card is certainly more convenient to carry than the type of certificate currently being issued.

Anyway, according to the Document Checklist, if I apply for a new certificate, I do not need to send certified documents, because they received those the first time. (Actually, I just sent what I call originals...documents received from state/provincial vital records departments.) I don't call what you're doing applying again.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The thing I really want clarification on is whether I can put my name on the affidavit affirming "true copy" or if it has to be my wife's name. I'm guessing that mine is OK but there is very definitely ambiguity here. The whole "true copy" thing is not even mentioned in the Canadian government's web site or on any of the docs they provide AFAIK.
"Certified true copies" are mentioned in the Instruction Guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0001ETOC.asp#CIT0001E4

It states that applicants cannot certify their own documents, nor can their relatives. However, in your case, it's sort of a hybrid situation, since there is a notary involved.

My view is that ID doesn't have to certified at all, so your name on the affidavit won't matter one way or the other.

Last edited:

sameera888

Oct 30, 2017
Hello I have one confusion about proof of citizenship application for minor
my kids been to Canada few times less than 6 months as us citizen
In Application page 6
Question 9 HAVE YOU EVER LIVED IN CANADA. NO IF YES, ON THAT DATE DID YOU FIRST ENTER CANADA TO LIVE YEAR -MONTH-DATE .
my kids been to Canada as us citizen visitor few times.
what is the best answer for my situation ??
I thing I should answer Yes and put N/A on date
any advice please help me

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello I have one confusion about proof of citizenship application for minor
my kids been to Canada few times less than 6 months as us citizen
In Application page 6
Question 9 HAVE YOU EVER LIVED IN CANADA. NO IF YES, ON THAT DATE DID YOU FIRST ENTER CANADA TO LIVE YEAR -MONTH-DATE .
my kids been to Canada as us citizen visitor few times.
what is the best answer for my situation ??
I thing I should answer Yes and put N/A on date
any advice please help me
If you are applying for proof of citizenship by descent for your children who have never lived in Canada (only visited), answer "No" and leave the date field blank.

Isheraz

Jan 3, 2018
Hi I have a question about my children's immigration. I had applied for Canadian immigration in 2008 and received immigration in 2014. After applying for immigration in 2008 I went to Pakistan started a business. In this time period of 2008 and 2014 I married and had two children born in Pakistan before I became a citizen. My children have dual nationally both Pakistani and Irish as my wife was Irish. I want to ask the status of my children are the Canadian citizens too, if not how can I apply for their citizenship.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi I have a question about my children's immigration. I had applied for Canadian immigration in 2008 and received immigration in 2014. After applying for immigration in 2008 I went to Pakistan started a business. In this time period of 2008 and 2014 I married and had two children born in Pakistan before I became a citizen. My children have dual nationally both Pakistani and Irish as my wife was Irish. I want to ask the status of my children are the Canadian citizens too, if not how can I apply for their citizenship.

Thanks
No. Your children are not Canadian citizens since they were born before you yourself became a citizen. In order for them to become Canadian citizens, you first have to sponsor them for permanent residency. They cannot apply for citizenship directly.

Isheraz

Jan 3, 2018
No. Your children are not Canadian citizens since they were born before you yourself became a citizen. In order for them to become Canadian citizens, you first have to sponsor them for permanent residency. They cannot apply for citizenship directly.
Can sponsorship be done from outside Canada as I am residing in Pakistan now?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can sponsorship be done from outside Canada as I am residing in Pakistan now?
You can sponsor them from outside of Canada - however you must include proof / evidence in the application that you plan to return to Canada and live in Canada again once their PR visa has been approved.

jace829

Jan 8, 2018
Was wondering if anyone could offer some insight on how to complete my application for a Canadian citizenship certificate. My children were born in Thailand via surrogacy and were issued citizenship certificates at the embassy there. We recently moved back to Canada and are applying for new certificates as their last names have recently been changed. Do I still need to complete the section for the "other parent" (the Thai surrogate)? I do have a waiver that the surrogate signed to waive their parental rights and we left the "Other parent" part blank when we applied at the embassy. Will I need to submit that waiver again with my application? There is no office for me to visit here and I'm unable to reach an agent via their help line.

Suhails660

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
When di
I sent my daughter's application end of August. It reached CPC, Sydney on September 1st. What should I expect now? Am I going to get an e-mail with the application number? Would I able to track it by using the payment receipt number?
When did u apply ??
Did u receive AOR ??
Where did you apply from ??

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
23-05-2017
AOR Received.
22-06-2017
File Transfer...
18-07-2017
Med's Request
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
02-11-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08/03/2018
VISA ISSUED...
04/04/2018
LANDED..........
27/05/2018
i am filling out cit001e.pdf, on question 8B for '...detail on how the applicant's grandparent obtain citizenship'

is there a technical term for obtaining citizenship through the Canadian citizen test?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i am filling out cit001e.pdf, on question 8B for '...detail on how the applicant's grandparent obtain citizenship'

is there a technical term for obtaining citizenship through the Canadian citizen test?
No one can obtain Canadian citizenship by taking a test. A person is either a citizen by being born in Canada, or by naturalization, or by descent (i.e. being born abroad to a Canadian citizen). As of 2009, citizenship by descent is limited to the first generation born abroad. If your parent was a Canadian citizen when you were born (having inherited it from your grandparent), then you may be a Canadian citizen. You would need to give more details, including dates.

Last edited:

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
23-05-2017
AOR Received.
22-06-2017
File Transfer...
18-07-2017
Med's Request
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
02-11-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08/03/2018
VISA ISSUED...
04/04/2018
LANDED..........
27/05/2018
No one can obtain Canadian citizenship by taking a test. A person is either a citizen by being born in Canada, or by naturalization, or by descent (i.e. being born abroad to a Canadian citizen). As of 2009, citizenship by descent is limited to the first generation born abroad. If your parent was a Canadian citizen when you were born (having inherited it from your grandparent), then you may be a Canadian citizen. You would need to give more details, including dates.
the grandparents were refugees when they came to canada (late 80's) and i became a canadian citizen through naturalization. i only remember my parents taking a citizenship test back when i was a child.
i believe this is the link below for the canadian citizenship test
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test.html

i am not sure what to write down for that question. maybe just 'applied for canadian citizenship'?

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
the grandparents were refugees when they came to canada (late 80's) and i became a canadian citizen through naturalization. i only remember my parents taking a citizenship test back when i was a child.
i believe this is the link below for the canadian citizenship test
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test.html

i am not sure what to write down for that question. maybe just 'applied for canadian citizenship'?
Becoming permanent residents then going through the citizenship process (application, interview, passing the test, oath) is called naturalization. But the question asks if the grandparent (your parent) was a Canadian citizen at the time of your birth (I'm assuming that you are filing this form out for your child?). So if you were naturalized at the same time as your parents (because children don't need to go through the process), then I think you would check "No" in the boxes and write N/A in all of the accompanying spaces, because you were born before your parents became citizens.