+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

CS_Vlad

Aug 31, 2012
This is a quote for Proof of Citizenship, not Grant of Citizenship.

Leon said:
No, currently it is 5 months in Canada, add 3-4 months if you apply through an embassy, see "you are not allowed to post links"

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CS_Vlad said:
This is a quote for Proof of Citizenship, not Grant of Citizenship.
I don't know what you are trying to apply for but this thread is called "Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada" and a citizen would apply for proof of citizenship for their child.

CS_Vlad

Aug 31, 2012
"Lucky rain"'s question was about granting citizenship to children of a naturalized citizens if they were born after naturalization. Somewhat off topic but not too much. I remember that CIC site does not make distinction between processing times for adults/minors. As I expected there should be difference as minors are processed in Sydney, I even left them feedback several days ago, though I don't expect them to fix it anytime soon ::) I'm sure it's more than 5 months, but, hopefully, not 21.

Leon said:
I don't know what you are trying to apply for but this thread is called "Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada" and a citizen would apply for proof of citizenship for their child.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Applying for citizenship just for a dependent child should be faster than for an adult because there will be no background checks and they are not required to meet the residency requirement of 1095 days in 4 years.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Leon said:
No, you have no claim to citizenship just because your daughter is. When she grows up, if she moves to Canada and is making enough money to support you and her mother, she could sponsor you for PR.
Leon: can you explain to me the concept of the "anchor baby"? I thought if a parent gave birth to a child in Canada, that child was automatically a citizen AND that gave the parents some sort of preferred status in CIC's eyes.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

toby said:
Leon: can you explain to me the concept of the "anchor baby"? I thought if a parent gave birth to a child in Canada, that child was automatically a citizen AND that gave the parents some sort of preferred status in CIC's eyes.
1. The child is a Citizen, unless the parents were diplomats. The idea of "anchor" is that once the child is over 18 and working s/he can sponsor parents to Canada. Also s/he can attend university/school in Canada without paying international fee.
2. Having a CC child gives no priority/rights to the parents, they still have to qualify on their own.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As PMM said, there aren't any rights given to parents of Canadian children. They still have to qualify on their own.

I think the term "anchor baby" is misleading and probably invented by people (Americans or Canadians) who wrongly believe that parents of citizen babies will get PR or citizenship automatically which isn't true, not in Canada, not in the US either.

The only anchor here is as PMM said that the child, if they live in Canada after the age of 18 and are making enough money to sponsor the parents can sponsor the parents eventually but this is not a very fast method of getting PR. First the 18 yo. needs to get an education because he will not be sponsoring his parents on McJob wages. The sponsorship of parents then takes several years. In the meantime, the child may have his own family and will need to show even more income, that he can support his family as well as his parents.

jeff351

Sep 13, 2012
plx if anyone can help.
my baby is born in china for me the get my baby a Canadian citizenship certificate proof do i have to get a notarization for my baby brith certificate?
also what imformation do i have to bring to the Consulate.

Bold9900

Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2011
AOR Received.
08-09-2011
File Transfer...
11-07-2011
Med's Request
10-08-2012
Med's Done....
10-28-2012 (Medical Received in Manila 11-5-2012)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-08-2012 (Decision Made on 11-13-2012)
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2012 (Pick up at IOM on 11-25-2012)
LANDED..........
12-12-2012
Hello Jeff351,

Here are the Documents you need for the Consulate General of Canada.

* If the copy of your child’s Birth Certificate is in Chinese you need to have it translated in English with a certify/register translator.

*Once you have all your certificate and documents ready then you need to fill out the Application for Citizenship Certificate (CIT0001 along with the Document Checklist) make sure is fully completed also you need to bring supported documents such as your boarding pass It is very important to bring the boarding pass that before your wife is pregnant. This is to proof you were there with her when she got pregnant. The month that you travel and when the child due date is related.

*You and your wife must bring the following:

You: Photo copy and the original of your Passport, Driver’s License and your Canadian Citizenship Card/ Certificate for the Consulate General of Canada to validate those are true copy.

Your wife: Photo copy and original copy of her Passport, ID card, Birth Certificate and her Family handbook (book stated how many people are in her family) for the Consulate General of Canada to validate those are true copy.

If everything is fine then you need to pay $75 CDN for the application fee and The Consulate General of Canada will issue you a copy of Official Receipt. It will take 9 to10 months for the Case Processing Centre- Sydney, NB to process tour child’s Proof of Canadian Citizenship Certificate.

I hope this information will help you save sometime and speed up get everything together….for me I didn’t know the procedure I got the run around from different departments just wasted so much time.

Good Luck!!

jeff351

Sep 13, 2012
Thank you Bold9900, your imformation is very helpful. :)
but the child's Birth certificate come with Chinese and English do i still need to get it translator?

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
jeff351 said:
Thank you Bold9900, your imformation is very helpful. :)
but the child's Birth certificate come with Chinese and English do i still need to get it translator?
Check the birth certificate carefully. The BC for my boy has all the headings in Chinese and English, but some answers (e.g. full name of mother is in Chinese only). So, the certificate will need to be translated.

The rules for documents and translations vary from embassy to embassy, so check with the embassy/consulate responsible for your area.

Example, if I were dealing with Shanghai, I would have to notarize the birth certificate, but not so with Guangzhou. And, the rules on the website say the translator must be a certified translator, but Guanzhou gave me a list of translators they are happy with, and few of them are certified.

So, things are different at each location.

lucky rain

Oct 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-10-2011
AOR Received.
06-01-2012
File Transfer...
19-12-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Passport Req..
28-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2012
LANDED..........
02-06-2012
Leon said:
Applying for citizenship just for a dependent child should be faster than for an adult because there will be no background checks and they are not required to meet the residency requirement of 1095 days in 4 years.

Thank you guys for trying to answer this, I guess I`ll just have to wait and see :) . We could n`t go just straight for citizenship certificates, because our kids are second generation born outside of Canada. We had to go through permanent residency first for them, but since they all are under 18 , we had right to apply for grant of citizenship for them without waiting for residency req.

confusedcaz

Oct 3, 2012
We are getting conflicting information with regards to my children entering Canada. I have a Registration of Birth Abroad as my parents both Canadian Citizens were in the UK at the time I was born. I entered Canada when I was two weeks old and grew up in Canada, educated, worked etc in Canada until 1992 when I went to the UK (acquired British passport due to my birth therefore dual nationality). Married a British citizen, three children. We made a sponsorship application for my husband to come over here to Canada (which has been lost!!!) and the visa company put the children onto the form as I had paid the fees on the CIC site.

When we arrived in Canada the customs official wondered why the children were not coming in under Canadian citizenship papers and were on the visa form. We have entered the country no problem - no paperwork given for any landing etc I guess because the Family Sponsor visa is in process (or was until some official has lost it). Are they still considered visitors pending the visa or can you please confirm whether we can just apply for their citizenship now while we restart the visa process (inland now instead of outland) for my husband or do they still need to go on the sponsorship form?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
confusedcaz said:
When we arrived in Canada the customs official wondered why the children were not coming in under Canadian citizenship papers and were on the visa form. We have entered the country no problem - no paperwork given for any landing etc I guess because the Family Sponsor visa is in process (or was until some official has lost it). Are they still considered visitors pending the visa or can you please confirm whether we can just apply for their citizenship now while we restart the visa process (inland now instead of outland) for my husband or do they still need to go on the sponsorship form?
When were your children born? As a Canadian born abroad to Canadian parents, you can not pass citizenship on to your children if they were born after April 16th 2009. If they were however born before that date, you can because the old law still applied. If that is the case, your children are already citizens, they just can't prove it yet. You should apply for citizenship certificates for them. There is a self-assessment tool at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules/index.asp you can do for your children. You can look into how to apply here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp

If some of the children were born after April 16th 2009, they would need to be sponsored for PR along with your husband. Just because you are now in Canada, you do not have to apply inland. Outland through London tends to be a lot faster than inland so I would recommend that. Hope they don't lose your file again though.