+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mayf said:
hi im a little bit confuse im waiting for my PR visa but i have baby shes 1 year and 8 months for now her father was a canadian and im planning to apply for her a citizenship cause the canadian immigration email me also that she was eligible to be a canadian citizen i need to go to the nearest embassy here in my place Philippines but im woried if i was going to apply her it is posssible that i can bring her with me when my PR visa is arrived?even though her certificate of citizenship was not yet with us?can i bring her with me?or can i get her also a temporary passport or what should i do?i hope i can hear from you soon thanks :D
Apply for the citizenship certificate and when you get your PR visa, if you don't have the citizenship certificate yet, apply for a temporary passport for the child.

dante8402

Jun 29, 2012
I am the father and Canadian citizen living in Quebec. My son was born in America. Do I need to apply for Canadian citizenship for my son or is he automatically a Canadian citizen because I am? I need to show proof of citizenship for my son to attend school. Do I just apply for a citizenship certificate or is there another step?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dante8402 said:
I am the father and Canadian citizen living in Quebec. My son was born in America. Do I need to apply for Canadian citizenship for my son or is he automatically a Canadian citizen because I am? I need to show proof of citizenship for my son to attend school. Do I just apply for a citizenship certificate or is there another step?
1. You need to apply for proof of citizenship. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp

Craig1982

Jul 1, 2012
Can someone help me here, When i go to the Canadian Embassy in Moscow to take the application for my new daughters citizenship card, Do i need to bring my daughter with me, as they say the application must be presented in person. The thing is I was to understand that we needed her to come, but we are leaving tomorrow for Moscow and she is feeling rather under the weather, So if we do not need her to come I would rather her not make the trip.

THANKS in advance!

Rosie Lee

Mar 1, 2012
United Kingdom
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2012
File Transfer...
9-07-2012
Med's Done....
27-03-2012
Interview........
Doubt it
LANDED..........
Feb 2013??
Does anyone know how long it is for Proof of Citizenship once it has been passed from the london VO to Canada? We have just recieved our Childrens Birth Certificates back and confirmation that the applications have been passed on!

Bold9900

Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2011
AOR Received.
08-09-2011
File Transfer...
11-07-2011
Med's Request
10-08-2012
Med's Done....
10-28-2012 (Medical Received in Manila 11-5-2012)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-08-2012 (Decision Made on 11-13-2012)
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2012 (Pick up at IOM on 11-25-2012)
LANDED..........
12-12-2012
Hello Rosie Lee,

It takes up to 8 months+ here is the link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/certif-processing.asp

Processing Times: Citizenship Certificate (Proof of Citizenship)
The table below shows the time required to process routine citizenship certificate applications. Processing times are based on how long it took to process 80 percent of all cases between July 1, 2010 to June 30, 2011.

Total processing time

6 months

Status available online
(once you receive your acknowledgment letter) From receipt of your application to final decision Note: If you are applying through a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate from outside Canada, add an additional 3 to 4 months to the total processing time.

If you are applying on behalf of a minor child residing outside Canada and the application is submitted directly to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia, add an additional 6 to 8 months to the total processing time.

For more information: If it has been longer than the time shown above since you applied, and you live:

•inside Canada, please contact the Call Centre. However, Call Centre agents cannot speed up the process of your application or make decisions on your case.
•outside Canada, you may contact the office where you submitted your application.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Has anyone heard of parents being asked for a DNA test to prove parenthood?

Apparently this is a measure available to CIC. But it seems barbaric to me. The poor little child must travel to an approved facility (possibly in a different city), give blood (never a happy experience), and the parents must pay the cost. A DNA test costs several hundreds of dollars in Canada, I am told, so presumably it costs a similar amount elsewhere.

And all because of an arbitrary decision by an unaccountable bureaucrat.

Seems unfair to me.

Apparently, however, this policy is under review, though I cannot find any published material on the topic.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mayf said:
hi im a little bit confuse im waiting for my PR visa but i have baby shes 1 year and 8 months for now her father was a canadian and im planning to apply for her a citizenship cause the canadian immigration email me also that she was eligible to be a canadian citizen i need to go to the nearest embassy here in my place Philippines but im woried if i was going to apply her it is posssible that i can bring her with me when my PR visa is arrived?even though her certificate of citizenship was not yet with us?can i bring her with me?or can i get her also a temporary passport or what should i do?i hope i can hear from you soon thanks :D
1. Apply for her citizenship certificate at the embassy.

2. Apply for a temporary passport at the embassy after you have done 1.

vossen

Aug 15, 2012
Hello,
What's happen, as my 15 years old daughter have the canadian citizenship.
but both parents do not have it.
as the canadian father died and i only adopted her years ago and the mother been never a canadian, as she never ask for.
could we parents ask now for the canadian citizenship?
best regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vossen said:
Hello,
as the canadian father died and i only adopted her years ago and the mother been never a canadian, as she never ask for.
best regards
No, you have no claim to citizenship just because your daughter is. When she grows up, if she moves to Canada and is making enough money to support you and her mother, she could sponsor you for PR.

mayf

Star Member
Mar 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
feb 10 2012 recieve feb 13
AOR Received.
recieve june 8 2012 but decision made may 23
IELTS Request
none
File Transfer...
may 23
Med's Done....
feb 8 2012
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
june 20 send by CEM recieve june 30 ppr send july 3
VISA ISSUED...
aug 16 2012 and expire on feb 6 2013
LANDED..........
oct 5 or 12 not yet
Leon said:
1. Apply for her citizenship certificate at the embassy.

2. Apply for a temporary passport at the embassy after you have done 1.
hi i have my pr visa now and i applied already her citizenship my baby but i book my flight oct 5 i book baby also but its on hold i want her to have temporary pasport to travel with me any idea how long it process the temporary pasport?in embasy manila thanks

lucky rain

Oct 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-10-2011
AOR Received.
06-01-2012
File Transfer...
19-12-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Passport Req..
28-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2012
LANDED..........
02-06-2012
Grumpy said:
I am corresponding with my local CDN embassy but am would like to post to this forum to ask of other opinions to better prepare myself.

My non-Canadian wife and I are expecting our 1st child this coming DEC.

I am born to Canadian citizens but abroad. I've never held any another citizenship and always had Canadian passports issued either under my mum's passport or my own.

Prior to receiving my Certificate of Canadian citizenship, I held a Proof of Canadian born Abroad - or similar - apologies i don't recall the exact wording.

extract from the citizenship section's FAQ's

"How do I find out if my child born outside Canada is a Canadian citizen?

If your child was born outside Canada after February 14, 1977, and you were a Canadian citizen when the child was born, your child is automatically a Canadian citizen.

Under the previous law, if you were also born in another country after February 14, 1977, to a Canadian parent your child may have needed to take steps to retain their citizenship before turning 28 years of age.

On April 17, 2009, the law changed to end the need to retain citizenship for many people. However, people born outside Canada who are subject to the retention rules and who turned 28 before the new law came into effect would have lost their citizenship if they did not take steps to retain it.

Also, if you were born outside Canada and your parent was a Canadian citizen when you were born, your child born in another country on or after April 17, 2009, will not be a Canadian citizen by birth, unless the child's other parent:

was born in Canada; or
immigrated to Canada and was granted citizenship
Find out more about the new law and who is affected.

Find more information about proof of citizenship in the Related Links section at the bottom of this page."

Reading through the revised citizenship laws, it would appear that my child will not obtain Canadian nationality on birth due to my having been born abroad. a bit of a shock to be honest as for me, the new law seems to have watered down my citizenship considerably.

I'm hoping I am mistaken but would appreciate anyone's comments. it almost has me thinking of going to Canada to have the child delivered however that seems a bit of a desperate measure.

many thanks

To Leon/Toby or anyone else who might know the answer,

Our situation is similar as here quoted Grumpy`s , we already finished most of the process. Gone through PR, landing, applying for kids citizenship , now question is, since kids are all minors I couldn`t find anywhere processing times for their grant of citizenship. They have posted only timing for regular citizenship process. Is it possible that this will take 21 months???

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vossen said:
Hello,
best regards
No, you can not ask for citizenship just because your daughter has it. If you want citizenship, you must first be a PR and as a PR, you must live in Canada for at least 3 years and then apply for citizenship. If you do not have PR already, you would have to qualify to apply for it. You also don't automatically get PR just because you have a Canadian child.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lucky rain said:
To Leon/Toby or anyone else who might know the answer,

Our situation is similar as here quoted Grumpy`s , we already finished most of the process. Gone through PR, landing, applying for kids citizenship , now question is, since kids are all minors I couldn`t find anywhere processing times for their grant of citizenship. They have posted only timing for regular citizenship process. Is it possible that this will take 21 months???
No, currently it is 5 months in Canada, add 3-4 months if you apply through an embassy, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/certif-processing.asp