+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CDNLady said:
My husband and I are both Canadian citizens by birth and are expecting a child. We are currently living in China, and wondering if our child is born here and we apply for a Canadian Citizenship Certificate is the wait time still over 6 months to process the application? We would want to come back to Canada shortly after the birth and we're wondering if it would be possible. We are just looking to get a passport to fly with the baby but if it will take longer than 2 months to process we will just have the baby in Canada! :)
You would have to ask the embassy in China how long they would take to issue a temporary passport. If you apply for a citizenship certificate in China, you can apply for a temporary passport right away without waiting for the citizenship certificate to be processed.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

CDNLady said:
Hi!

My husband and I are both Canadian citizens by birth and are expecting a child. We are currently living in China, and wondering if our child is born here and we apply for a Canadian Citizenship Certificate is the wait time still over 6 months to process the application? We would want to come back to Canada shortly after the birth and we're wondering if it would be possible. We are just looking to get a passport to fly with the baby but if it will take longer than 2 months to process we will just have the baby in Canada! :)

I'm just looking for some opinions on what would be our best options.

Thanks in advance!
It will probably take longer than 2 months to apply for proof of citizenship for the child and then apply for a limited validity passport (at the same time). I know that in Shanghai you have to take the child and both parents to apply in person for proof of citizenship. I don't know about Bejing. You could also apply for a facilitation visa F-1 which would be placed in the child's chinese passsport, which would allow you to travel to Canada. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp

Cool_Heaqded

May 22, 2012
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC - Islamabad (Wife's Case)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 Nov 2010
Doc's Request.
13 Jul 2012 Suppl Forms + re-PCC
File Transfer...
23 Dec 2010
Med's Request
8 Aug 2012
Med's Done....
30 Oct 2012, Received 26 Nov 2012 ecase
Interview........
Suck'a'Lemon [IMG]http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/babygirl.gif[/IMG]
Passport Req..
12 Nov 2012 - PPR Sent
VISA ISSUED...
04 Jan 2013
LANDED..........
22 Jan 2013
I have submitted the documents for my son for Citizenship to Islamabad.

They are asking for proof of travel, however my wife has not got the PR and visa yet. She has done the medical and has sent the passport to embassy.

I hope she will get it withing this month.

Now should I make some travel arrangements for them and send Islamabad the information on travel or just inform them that I will arrange as soon as my wife gets her PR?

Please advise.

masoud100

Aug 1, 2012
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Somebody please help as I am very worried. I am kind of in an almost identical situation as Cool_Heaqded. I am a Canadian Citizen and have sponsored my wife who lives in Pakistan. She has done her remedical and sent her passport to the Visa Office. She is expected to give birth around end of January.

I understand that my son becomes a Canadian Citizen because of me. But my question is what is the process of getting him to Canada after he is born (say my wife already recieves her Passport stamped prior to giving birth.) I am hearing stuff about 5-6 months for my son to get citizenship or something? Because I plan on going to Pakistan sometime middle february and spend maximum 45 days and come back with my wife and son. Is that possible? Do I have to do anything from Canada after my son is born or is everything done in Pakistan?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After your son is born, you must apply for his citizenship certificate. You can do that in Islamabad or in Canada. The processing time is 5-6 months in Canada if the child is in Canada but I have heard that it takes a lot longer to apply in Canada if the child is living overseas. If you apply through the embassy, the CIC website says 8-9 months. You can apply for a temporary passport for him in Islamabad as soon as you have applied for the citizenship certificate but I do not know how long it would take to process that. Islamabad is fairly slow so it could well be more than 45 days.

Like PMM said above, I suppose it would be an option for you if you have the babies Pakistani passport that you could apply for a facilitation visa for him instead if that is faster.

Oh, before I forget, this applies only if you are Canadian born or had immigrated to Canada. If you are one of the few who were born outside Canada to parents who were Canadian citizens at the time and gained your citizenship based on that, you can not pass it on to your baby. In that case, you would have to add your baby to your wife's PR application.

masoud100

Aug 1, 2012
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Leonthe thing is neither am I pakistani nor my wife as she is Afghani but living in Pakistan for almost her whole life. So say I apply for citizen certificate in Islamabad for my son (what documents, ets chould be needed)? How can i find out how long temporary passport would take. Also can my son born in Pakistan get a Pakistani passport if neither his parents are pakistani and if yes how long does it take and what is the process. Reason why I am worried is I do not like being in Pakistan because of the sheer bribery, violence, looters, etc. Everytime I go there I get stopped by police, etc saying you must come to jail, blah blah and I usually have to pay them off to let go of me

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It seems China is safer than Pakistan. Being a foreigner, I don't have to worry about sheer bribery, violence, looters, etc. Moreover, I can't find anything in the CIC Pakistan website about citizenship services. You can view the instruction guidelines for applying from the CIC Beijing website:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/china-chine/consular_services_consulaires/citizenship-citoyennete.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

masoud100

Aug 1, 2012
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have not been to other places in Pakistan except for Peshawar. On my last visit I was denied access to Pakistan while traveling by road with Canadian passport because I was born in India. I got pissed and went back to Afghanistan leaving my wife to go alone without me to Pakistan. Once in Peshawar I was harassed everywhere and can only expect the harassment to grow while traveling from peshwar to canadian embassy in islamabad. This is why I want my wife here before she gives birth because I cannot take the hassle that will be brought if my son is born in pakistan

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
masoud100 said:
Hi Leonthe thing is neither am I pakistani nor my wife as she is Afghani but living in Pakistan for almost her whole life. So say I apply for citizen certificate in Islamabad for my son (what documents, ets chould be needed)? How can i find out how long temporary passport would take.
Ask the embassy in Islamabad. However, they are notorious for being extremely slow with everything.

masoud100 said:
Also can my son born in Pakistan get a Pakistani passport if neither his parents are pakistani and if yes how long does it take and what is the process.
I am not an expert on Pakistani citizenship law. I assume you go to the proper authority and ask. Maybe he is eligible for his mothers citizenship instead. If you manage to get him any other passport sooner than the Canadian one, a facilitation visa would be an option.

masoud100

Aug 1, 2012
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think my son well I am almost 100% sure that if my son is born in Pakistan I can probably get him an Afghani passport since his mom has a Afghani Passport and I have an Afghan Citizenship (just got this past yr). So say I get my son an Afghan Passport (does my son have to be there for any part in person?) Also would I then have to go to Pakistan Canada's Embassy or Afghanistan's Canada Embassy to apply for a facilation visa. And what is projected time of a facilitation visa?

PPam

Nov 11, 2012
My daughter will be turning 18 and wants to study in Canada. She was born and studying in another country. Now she wants to go to Canada and continue her study there. Is it possible to study while working there? Currently, she is enrolled in one of the prestigious school here but wants to continue in Canada. She is a naturalized born Canadian citizen. How can she go there, can she use her Canadian passport and Canadian Citizenship ID? can she apply for study now pay later? What are the requirements? Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PPam said:
My daughter will be turning 18 and wants to study in Canada. She was born and studying in another country. Now she wants to go to Canada and continue her study there. Is it possible to study while working there? Currently, she is enrolled in one of the prestigious school here but wants to continue in Canada. She is a naturalized born Canadian citizen. How can she go there, can she use her Canadian passport and Canadian Citizenship ID? can she apply for study now pay later? What are the requirements? Thanks.
She will have no problem going to Canada if she has a Canadian passport. She needs to find a college/university that she is interested in, apply there and if they accept her, she can look into what kind of student loans she can get.

i.Solo

Star Member
May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
masoud100 said:
Hi Leonthe thing is neither am I pakistani nor my wife as she is Afghani but living in Pakistan for almost her whole life. So say I apply for citizen certificate in Islamabad for my son (what documents, ets chould be needed)? How can i find out how long temporary passport would take. Also can my son born in Pakistan get a Pakistani passport if neither his parents are pakistani and if yes how long does it take and what is the process. Reason why I am worried is I do not like being in Pakistan because of the sheer bribery, violence, looters, etc. Everytime I go there I get stopped by police, etc saying you must come to jail, blah blah and I usually have to pay them off to let go of me
masoud100 said:
I have not been to other places in Pakistan except for Peshawar. On my last visit I was denied access to Pakistan while traveling by road with Canadian passport because I was born in India. I got pissed and went back to Afghanistan leaving my wife to go alone without me to Pakistan. Once in Peshawar I was harassed everywhere and can only expect the harassment to grow while traveling from peshwar to canadian embassy in islamabad. This is why I want my wife here before she gives birth because I cannot take the hassle that will be brought if my son is born in pakistan

Hey masoud, If Pakistan is so bad than why are you allowing your wife to stay in Pakistan? Wouldn't it be nice that if she move back to Afghanistan? It will be safer for her there. If I were you I wouldn't allow my wife to stay in such a "currupt" country.

Instead of bashing Pakistan in immigration forum, why not simply shift your wife to Afghanistan or India?

I don't mind my Afghanistani brother and sister living in my country. But if they bash Pakistan on every occasion than one must wonder why they are still living there? Offcourse you were not forced to live in Pakistan.
Living in Pakistan (for foreigners) is a privilege. Same like us living here in Canada. If we don't like Canada we are more than welcome to move out of here. Same applies to you. Don't like Pakistan. Just move out. simple is that.

And I would suggest again to move your wife to Afghanistan as living in Pakistan ( "A very dangerous country") may impact on your son personality.
And lastly as we say in urdu "a gairat mund" husband won't allow his wife to live in such undesireable place. So please move back.
And no needs to thank for my suggestion. you are very welcome.

sponsor of applicant

Aug 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ISLAMABAD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 2011
Doc's Request.
INCLUDED WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
NOV 2011
masoud100 said:
Thank you brother
After reading your post
I actually have a whole new level of respect for pakistani police
just by looking at your face they know where you should go ....... or may be they are so advanced that they read this forum alot

Wow that is so amazingly cool ...... i never expected that from pakistani police

masoud100

Aug 1, 2012
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ i.Solo I was not trying to be offensive to you or your country. In Fact my wife hates Afghanistan and always gets in an argument with me when I jokingly say I will make you give birth in Afghanistan (but that might be due to her family not being there). Anyways maybe you guys never get stopped because you look Pakistani or if you do you have ID to prove it. I have seen rickshaw drivers being beaten while I was sitting in the rickshaw, never witnessed this in Afghanistan.

My wife is never in danger because she is a women and they rarely say anything to women. It is me Canadian Born who comes to visit Pakistan and gets harassed. I am legally there, with Passport and all, and all the cops want is money and bribery. I have visited Afghanistan about 3 times and Pakistan 4 times and I can honestly say I have never witnessed any small time bribery (from local cops, etc) in Afghanistan but have seen plenty in Pakistan.