+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

C-6 Citizenship Applications, Frequently Asked Questions

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Anyone with a better and detailed explanation of what this entails?

• collect the social insurance numbers (SIN) of citizenship applicants as part of their application for citizenship;
  • with the consent of the applicant, directly verify the tax filing history and residency information of citizenship applicants through the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) secure Income Verification Program (IVP)
Same question I have but did not really get anywhere.

muhammad092

Mar 9, 2017
hi spyfy or anyone else, my employment history went into another page leaving the other page half blank and then there was an extra page with just a line on it? is it normal?

abbas1349

Apr 7, 2017
Follow the instructions. The instructions specify that the "Eligibility Period" is the five years prior to the date the citizenship application is made.

Address and work history require the applicant to declare all addresses, and all employment, in and outside Canada, for the "eligibility period," which, again, is the FIVE YEARS preceding the date of the application.

Similarly when completing the online presence calculation: applicant is clearly, unequivocally instructed to declare all time periods outside Canada for the full five year eligibility period.

IRCC may modify this in a future revision of the application form and/or presence calculator. There are fair arguments why it SHOULD work in a way to not require reporting for periods prior to having status in Canada. But for now the instructions are clear, and it is almost always best to follow the instructions.

IRCC may even accept and process applications even if the applicant failed to report address, work, or time abroad information for periods prior to obtaining status in Canada. That is possible. Perhaps to some extent even likely. But for now the instructions are clear, to report the full five years, and it is almost always best to follow the instructions.
thanks for your reply . how about police clearance record , do i have to get it ? i have not got out of Canada since i landed

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
how about police clearance record , do i have to get it ? i have not got out of Canada since i landed
All I can suggest is what the instructions state.

If you respond "yes" to item 10.b then the instructions state to include a police certificate or give an explanation why not. Item 10.b asks if you have been in another country a total of 183 or more days over the course of the preceding FOUR (4) years. There is NOTHING in the instructions which suggest a different time period for some applicants, such as those who became a Canadian PR less than four years ago.

Why do you think not leaving Canada since you landed is relevant? There is nothing in the instructions which suggest it is.

Note: I recognize there are several participants in this forum who advocate it is relevant, that days in another country prior to becoming a PR do not count as days in another country. A couple are insistent that IRCC call centre agents have confirmed this. Accounts of those telephone queries suggest calls arguing for a particular interpretation, an interpretation favouring an exception for days prior to becoming a PR for example, rather than open queries as to what IRCC is asking and expects. Nonetheless, those reports may be right. I doubt it, but I cannot say for certain.

To my ear those reports echo several similar reports that preceded October 11, when some were advocating the new application form would prescribe a three year period of time rather than four. Similarly, multiple participants in the forum adamantly asserted IRCC call centre agents confirmed this. Did not happen. Why was obvious all along. (I have a hard time grasping where these myths come from, or why they become so persistent.)

What I do know for certain is that the police certificate requirement is based on the FOUR-year period of time during which a foreign criminal conviction constitutes a prohibition (Section 22(3) in the Citizenship Act) . That is a fixed period of time, fixed as of the date the application for citizenship is signed. This prohibition period of time, the FOUR years preceding the date of the application, applies without regard to when the applicant became a PR.

civilengr

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/27/2014
AOR Received.
PER 01/28/2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
Additional docs requested : 03/06/2015. doc sent 03/20/2015 RPRF : 03/27/2015
Med's Request
03/28/2015
Med's Done....
04/07/2015 Medical recieved : 04/14/2015
Interview........
Decision Made : 05/30/2015
Passport Req..
06/02/2015
LANDED..........
06/25/2015
Hi everyone, I need help from those who have applied.

Question No. 5
I had changed my last name to my husband's first name on one document in my home country but then before that process would have been completed we had separated, therefore I did not change my last name anywhere else. After divorce I had changed my last name to my maiden name again in home country on that one document where I had changed it. Should I check legal name change as YES?

Question 9c
Another question as well please; during my eligibility period I had visited back home on work permit for 16 days, do I count it as residing outside Canada. Should I check Yes or No?

Question 14 Table A
Do I need to give document numbers for my study/work permits as well? or only my visa document numbers and passport number?

How does the eCas number work? Do I have to login in cic website?

Thank you

JasFer

Mar 6, 2017
I just called the CIC to ask about 9c and told them that I have lived outside Canada for over 183 days during my qualifying period. Here's what the agent said:

Clicking the Help button on the form will explain that it has to be answered as Yes only if I have lived outside as a Crown Servant etc. Else, I should answer No.
I told her that I have already submitted my application and checked Yes with an explanation letter as this was a confusing question and felt only that part of it applied to me (Did you live outside Canada...) and not the other part (were you a Crown servant etc).
I told her I feared the application would be returned....she said she cannot say what the processing officer will do, but the fact that I provided an explanation letter should help.

Reactions: Nawazt

LAKEWOOD

Star Member
Oct 17, 2013
Hello,
I would like to asked what's the minimum requirement or what's the minimun band score for IELTS in applying for citizenship?
thanks

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Does a copy of the PR card satisfy the requirement for a government issued ID ?
yes.. any government issued id with your photo, full name and dob is a valid id. e.g. PR card, DL, health card.
KK82 is absolutely right from a formal point of view.

There has been, however, at least one report of an application that got returned because the case worker didn't accept the PR card as a piece of ID. This is because in the OLD form (before Oct 11), the PR card couldn't be used as ID and the case worker was probably confused.

Again: The PR card should be enough since it fulfills, as KK82 says, all requirements. But if you have a DL or health card with photo, then maybe use that one.

brownozzy

Dec 4, 2017
KK82 is absolutely right from a formal point of view.

There has been, however, at least one report of an application that got returned because the case worker didn't accept the PR card as a piece of ID. This is because in the OLD form (before Oct 11), the PR card couldn't be used as ID and the case worker was probably confused.

Again: The PR card should be enough since it fulfills, as KK82 says, all requirements. But if you have a DL or health card with photo, then maybe use that one.
Thanks!

Aug 4, 2012
Spanish Town
Category........
Visa Office......
KIN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-2012
Doc's Request.
11-25-13
AOR Received.
15-10-2012
File Transfer...
January 2013
Med's Request
11-25-13
Med's Done....
February or March(can't remember) Redo it Dec 2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
05-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-02-2014 (collected 25-02-2014)
hi I submit my application on Nov 6,2017
delivered on Nov 8, 2017
Single
Physical presence 1200

But I received back my application today Dec 04.....returned due to photographs not being stamped and dated by the photographer.
Letter stated to re-submit app with the missing document (option 1) OR to option 2 to request for refund of fee

Question: Do I just need to get the photos stamped and dated then re-submit the letter package they sent me? And do I need to pay fee again?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
hi I submit my application on Nov 6,2017
delivered on Nov 8, 2017
Single
Physical presence 1200

But I received back my application today Dec 04.....returned due to photographs not being stamped and dated by the photographer.
Letter stated to re-submit app with the missing document (option 1) OR to option 2 to request for refund of fee

Question: Do I just need to get the photos stamped and dated then re-submit the letter package they sent me? And do I need to pay fee again?
Replied to your post on the November thread.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/november-2017-citizenship-applicants.523007/page-47#post-6556037