App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-20-2016
LANDED..........
12-08-2013
hell911 said:
^
how much do i need to pay every month for this?
I dont remember exactly but I think it's like $1 for every $100. I could be wrong though. Just call the representative who opened your bank to verify. :)

virtu

Star Member
Aug 29, 2013
Another option to consider:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/capitol-one-vibe-student-mastercard-1389692/
http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-cards/vibe-student-mastercard/

Is that good as Scotiabank?

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alright, im going to open an account also in TD bank, coz i need VISA debit/chequing card, which scotiabank doesnt have. :(

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hell911 said:
alright, im going to open an account also in TD bank, coz i need VISA debit/chequing card, which scotiabank doesnt have. :(
What :eek: .... Scotia does offer chequing + savings + visa to International students and specifically with GIC. TD doesn't offer visa card to International Students (unless you are okay with a secured card which means a deposit against your visa).

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
^
what im talking about is scotiabank DEBIT card, NOT CREDIT CARD.. there is no VISA written on it, meaning this card is not acceptable at some places, like paypal or google wallet.

scotiabank

TD

HopefulAngel

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Makati City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-20-2016
LANDED..........
12-08-2013
hell911 said:
^
what im talking about is scotiabank DEBIT card, NOT CREDIT CARD.. there is no VISA written on it, meaning this card is not acceptable at some places, like paypal or google wallet.

scotiabank

TD

I'm using my credit card for my online purchases :( Can we open a TD account for free as students?

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hell911 said:
but you do have scotia visa credit card, don't you? and mostly you won't have trouble using the card except a few places you mentioned. I hold American Express (as one of my cards) and i know at many places it's not accepted, but i love it... anyway you whatever you like, go ahead for it. TD does offer free student accounts.... so go for it....

Cheers!

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yea, i already have scotia debit and credit cards.. tomorrow i will go to td to ask if i can get Visa debit card , if not, i will just open a new student acct there.

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alright, i got a Visa debit card from TD with only 25 transactions per month :mad: (scotiabank have unlimited transactions) - good thing with TD debit card is "VISA", can use it online. scotiabank's debit card cannot.

they said to get Credit Card, i need to deposit $500 which will be on hold for 3 years. u can't get that $500 before 3 years. :eek:

---------------------------------------------------------------
questions:

1. which is better, 2 credit cards with both great credit history or 1 credit card with great credit history? (i am planning to use scotiabank for my "primary" credit card)
2. can i use credit card to buy grocery (no frills,etc..)? is there a minimum amount to buy in the store to be able to use the credit card?
3. in which cases/transactions we should not use credit cards?

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hell911 said:
alright, i got a Visa debit card from TD with only 25 transactions per month :mad: (scotiabank have unlimited transactions) - good thing with TD debit card is "VISA", can use it online. scotiabank's debit card cannot.

they said to get Credit Card, i need to deposit $500 which will be on hold for 3 years. u can't get that $500 before 3 years. :eek:

---------------------------------------------------------------
questions:

1. which is better, 2 credit cards with both great credit history or 1 credit card with great credit history? (i am planning to use scotiabank for my "primary" credit card)
2. can i use credit card to buy grocery (no frills,etc..)? is there a minimum amount to buy in the store to be able to use the credit card?
3. in which cases/transactions we should not use credit cards?
Man, you are so much into this credit/debit card thing, I sometimes wonder if you are studying CARDS or some other course. Jokes apart, now even one card is good enough to help you earn some good credit score. The first card you have obtained will fetch you credit score after 6 months. That's when you can ask your first bank to enhance the limit. There is no point holding multiple credit cards unless you see something special coming out of it. For example, some cards give extra rewards, say if you take President's choice, they have their grocery products where you can earn more points and buy grocery out of those points etc etc.

Usually big stores have no minimum purchase condition, even if the bill is 1 dollar, u can still swipe your card. For example, Tim Horton, BK, Mcd etc. Small stores or restaurants sometimes don't accept cards below 5 or 10 CAD, but then they have the information posted on their walls.

Finally, now get back to your studies and get out of these cards juggle.

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i already tried using my credit card once, the lady told me it has to be inserted in the pin machine, why? she said there is a chip in the card, so it has to be inserted.

but when i got home, i realized there is a black line at the back of the card (maybe for swiping or not, i dont know)? this is scotiabank Learn CC.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hell911 said:
i already tried using my credit card once, the lady told me it has to be inserted in the pin machine, why? she said there is a chip in the card, so it has to be inserted.

but when i got home, i realized there is a black line at the back of the card (maybe for swiping or not, i dont know)? this is scotiabank Learn CC.
it's one in the same thing. Chip is a new and enhanced technology. In fact now they have come up with Interac which means no inserting or swiping.
so, you card can have all of them, black magnet (at the back of your card which contains your info), Chip or interac.

Now, hell911, I believe by the end of your first semester, you will have earned masters in credit cards. rofl.

and yeah do check with your bank if you are on paper Statement or paperless. Some banks ( i guess all of them ) charge for paper statement. it's better to be on paperless (but then your bank may not give you the option as some banks say you can't go on paperless before three months, it's just a way for them to find out your credibility as you are a new customer).

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
^
i'm on my way to PhD in Credit Cards!! :p

i decided not to get CC in TD bank, debit card is fine,.. and its coz of "VISA". :)

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
hell911 said:
^
i'm on my way to PhD in Credit Cards!! :p

i decided not to get CC in TD bank, debit card is fine,.. and its coz of "VISA". :)
i dont think u can use TD visa online too..it does not have ur name on it...right? i may be wrong....