+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best bank to open an account?

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well none of the bank is best and none is worst. While opening a student account, what we need is;

1. Chequing account (which comes with Savings account)
2. Number of ATMs (specially around your college and residence)
3. Cash Back Deals on purchases (which Most of the bank offer)
4. Several fees such as balance maintenance fee, ATM withdrawal fee from a non-bank ATM review
5. Line of Credit (credit card)
6. Interest on Savings account or GIC (In Canada, you don't get lucrative interest rates as India pakistan etc, and GIC of 10K CAD fetches you only 15 CAD at the end of the year, hence not worthy enough)

All the banks offer lucrative student accounts. When they compared, over all they all stand equal in a way some bank offers something and some banks offers something else.

Talking about credit cards now. RBC or CIBC or TD, these days majority of banks do not offer unsecured credit card to students and some don't offer credit card at all even when you secure PGWP and job (such as RBC won't offer credit card without deposit if you aren't PR).

Reason : We are the reason. There was a time when all banks used to offer credit cards to students and Temp Residents. But as we only exploited the system, misused the privilege, so we suffer rather the new comers suffer. Many people cheated banks while leaving Canada, took huge amount as line of credit, taken several phones on tab and didn't pay and left for their home countries. Day is not far when phones on TAB would also not be available to International student because of such activities. So no one to blame but International students.

Scotia bank still is okay offering Credit Card to students (particularly students holding GIC accounts with Scotia). Now, even a secure card is not a bad choice. Though it looks like a debit card if we literally go by the base line. However, debit card never builds your credit score. Credit card does irrespective of secure card. Even phones taken on contract build credit history. Some banks are yet okay to offer credit cards to students once they have credit history and proven track record of good payment pattern.

Hope it helps to understand the banking system here.

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
HopefulAngel said:
Thanks for your replies guys!

I do remember signing up to 3 accounts, 2 of which were deposit services. So far, I received a SCENE card and a debit card. I'm still waiting for the 'secured' credit card with a credit limit of 500 CAD. I think it's different from the debit card, so I don't need to make some deposits beforehand. I could be wrong though. I'll keep you posted anyways. All the best!
A secured credit card means you need to put money in it in order to use it. To build credit and get an actual credit card.
Having a cellphone line is also a way to get credit. You have to pay your bills in time.

Finally

Aug 13, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2013
Doc's Request.
Will be waived
Nomination.....
Soon
AOR Received.
23-09-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
Not yet
Med's Request
Will be waived
Med's Done....
Will be waived
Interview........
Will be waived
Passport Req..
Soon
VISA ISSUED...
Soon
LANDED..........
Soon
hell911 said:
^
isnt that debit card you are talking about? you deposit first in your account, then u can use that amount using ur card.

also, they didnt ask me about credit rating or any deposit to get credit card, idk. we'll see what happens when i found a new apartment.
I am sure I was quite clear about CIBC's "secure credit card," and I don't see how anyone would ask if I was sure it's not a debit card.

HopefulAngel

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Makati City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-20-2016
LANDED..........
12-08-2013
marsiangal said:
A secured credit card means you need to put money in it in order to use it. To build credit and get an actual credit card.
Having a cellphone line is also a way to get credit. You have to pay your bills in time.
Got it! Thanks!

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
how do you pay bills here? someone sends a letter then you have to go to bank or where? ;D

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hell911 said:
how do you pay bills here? someone sends a letter then you have to go to bank or where? ;D
Online via credit card, same as in India/Pak.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
hell911 said:
when u get a bill u can pay online or u can use credit cards or u can send them a cheque in mail...

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
as a student, do we really need savings acct, since we dont have high amount of money, or am i wrong? ???

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
hell911 said:
as a student, do we really need savings acct, since we dont have high amount of money, or am i wrong? ???
It's your call, savings accounts are free anyways. You can tell them you don't need one.

HopefulAngel

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Makati City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-20-2016
LANDED..........
12-08-2013
Just an update. I went to Scotiabank today and inquired about my credit card. The teller said I don't have to make any deposit and I can use it as a regular VISA card. It's a SCENE VISA card, just for those who are interested in getting one.

Happy weekend, everyone!

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HopefulAngel said:
Just an update. I went to Scotiabank today and inquired about my credit card. The teller said I don't have to make any deposit and I can use it as a regular VISA card. It's a SCENE VISA card, just for those who are interested in getting one.

Happy weekend, everyone!
Great... that's what I was wondering when you said they didn't give u Visa. Anyway yeah Scotia at the moment is one of those rare banks in Canada offering Credit Cards to students with no deposit (though they give you only 500 CAD, but trust me 500 is not a bad deal to start with, wait for 6 months, if your payments are in time, they can enhance it to 1500 or 2000).

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i just received my scene card(black) today via mail.

i have question, bec. i already used my debit card (red) before like 5 times, does those transactions will affect the points in my scene card?

update: i just saw my point history, yes it added. i now have 1354 points :)

HopefulAngel

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Makati City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-20-2016
LANDED..........
12-08-2013
@sabby2621: Thanks for the info! I won't be using my VISA card very often, though, that's good to know.

@hell911: Whoa! Sounds like you can hit the movies this weekend for free! :D

humdrumdum

Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VAC, Paper-based)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
Med's Request
05-08-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Also opened an account with Scotia today, they also gave me an UNSECURED credit card with a limit of $500. As with the debit card, you have to make purchases within 30 days though. Lead time with appraisal is roughly 2 weeks