+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Arrived today for fall, study permit issued, online classes

Peter88

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
No no, please don't say thanks! We're all in the same situation here! I understand what you mean when you say not doing well. But I think since we're in a master's program, we should first feel proud that we have come this far. And just have to keep going, trying our best and hoping if we can't actually do anything at this time.

That itself is a big success during these crazy times! I'm also not particularly doing well, and I too feel terrible due to all this mess, even my plans are all messed up. But I try saying these positive things to myself to just keep going. Otherwise it gets too difficult.

I agree with you. Seems like it's all about testing our fortune. But how did this person travel from India? Air India is denying boarding right :( And isn't June too early for the fall entry?

Sure I'll DM, let's discuss any further updates that IRCC may come up with, hopefully.
Actually he started his May intake online and travelled now.

Reactions: GradStudent18

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
bro i haven't decided yet. but planning for mid august.
for the airline i haven't decided yet but will see after 1st if the restrictions are extended or not.
for the purpose of reaching Canada if we have waited for so long , why not wait for few more days.
As the OP has reached Canada, No one can work in legal way unless study starts and health insurance too starts when the study starts and it will be just a wastage of money then going about one and half month earlier.
and there are reports of covid cases on flights, OP is lucky he reached safely. but we don't know if a passenger sitting near us may be a carrier of the disease so why take risks.
By the Way, IRCC is there who knows everything as deferring sept2020 to jan2021 will be a huge problem and everything is getting normal slowly so its better to wait.
and for the airlines you know Air India they denied boarding a PR about week or two ago also she was healthy with no symptoms so why take risk?
Eventually they will have to allow students to reach Canada
sorry for a long post

Thanks for replying! Same here, not sure what'll happen but seems like fall term is mostly from home. Anyway, as you said, we have to wait for few more days.

And taking risks regarding Covid, again that's a very valid point.

As for Air India, this is too much. They can't deny a PR if she was healthy. Wonder why they are denying everyone? I thought PRs have a legal right to go there irrespective of anything :(

Peter88

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
Hello!

I put up my query to Delhi Immigration office regarding possibility of travelling to Canada from India, amid current travel restrictions. In this regard, I received a following response from them but I am unable to interpret it. I request you to have a look at it and guide me please.

Reply from Delhi Immigration Office:

We strongly recommend entering Canada no earlier than 3 weeks prior to your studies commencing. If you seek to enter Canada earlier this would not normally be considered essential travel and you would be denied boarding or entry into Canada. We only issue authorisation letters to foreign nationals with immediate family members temporarily residing in Canada as workers, visitors, students or protected persons.

Please be advised that the answer to your question can be found on our Facebook Page As well, the following link: How IRCC is response during Covid-19, provides information on requirements prior to and after entering Canada.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Hello!

I put up my query to Delhi Immigration office regarding possibility of travelling to Canada from India, amid current travel restrictions. In this regard, I received a following response from them but I am unable to interpret it. I request you to have a look at it and guide me please.

Reply from Delhi Immigration Office:

We strongly recommend entering Canada no earlier than 3 weeks prior to your studies commencing. If you seek to enter Canada earlier this would not normally be considered essential travel and you would be denied boarding or entry into Canada. We only issue authorisation letters to foreign nationals with immediate family members temporarily residing in Canada as workers, visitors, students or protected persons.

Please be advised that the answer to your question can be found on our Facebook Page As well, the following link: How IRCC is response during Covid-19, provides information on requirements prior to and after entering Canada.

As far as I can understand, they are just saying that they can't issue us authorization letters, and that if we travel, we should not go earlier than 3 weeks before program start date.

This is not addressing our problem about online being non-essential. Just my opinion. I may be wrong. Who knows?

Reactions: Peter88

gursewak singh

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
SANGRUR,PUNJAB,INDIA
App. Filed.......
21-08-2013
File Transfer...
25-11-2013
Med's Request
24-09-2013
Med's Done....
25-09-2013
actually my course is stated as online+ on-campus by the college so i guess it will be an essential travel as there are labs i have to attend.
but i have planned for mid august because maybe India and Canada open flights in a proper channel rather than these vande bharat flights.
i will have enough time to quarantine and start classes as they will not be starting labs on first day of study.

AffanMustafa

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
It's not about me wanting or not wanting. And I'm certainly not discouraging or providing any false info here. Why would I do that?

There's real evidence that students are being denied boarding the flight, and have to beg the airline for refund of lakhs of rupees. You have been allowed to board the flight; that doesn't mean everyone else is being allowed to. There are denials.

I obtained my approval too, and trust me, in all probability, I have put in as much hard work as anyone else, if not more. I am admitted into a top-ranked publicly-funded University in a very selective master's program which has very high entry requirements - Canadian-Standard A average grades, and have scored very high in the GRE.

There's information on all fronts that says online is non-essential - My University's international student office, my phone calls with CBSA, and the recent IRCC notice about what is essential / non-discretionary.

I was clearly told by CBSA that since online studies for the fall are not affecting PGWP, travelling now makes it non-essential.

All these indicate that online is non-essential, unless everyone else can also get lucky and get entry into the country.

Also not to forget, students can be denied entry and then there's a real risk of getting stranded at some foreign airport with difficulty in getting a return flight back home. These are real risks. Not talking about them, or just because someone is allowed in, doesn't mean the risks will disappear.
I was not allowed in one of the airlines if you kindly read my previous comments. That's airline issue not Canada's and i have recommended the airline where i was allowed to board. You didn't mention the airline anywhere in your last comments, you were pointing out my reasons that you can change your routine for online classes etc. Entry is absolutely at the discretion of CBSA for sure even before the pandemic and there's risk in everything buddy, take risks or play safe. There are some students aswell whose visa would be expired after months cause many students have deferred their semesters to this fall this thread can help them as well.

AffanMustafa

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
actually my course is stated as online+ on-campus by the college so i guess it will be an essential travel as there are labs i have to attend.
but i have planned for mid august because maybe India and Canada open flights in a proper channel rather than these vande bharat flights.
i will have enough time to quarantine and start classes as they will not be starting labs on first day of study.
Gurpreet bhai, your travel is absoulety essential and i'd recommend personally that try to book your ticket asap if can find is fair price and travel.

AffanMustafa

Star Member
Dec 11, 2019
It's not about me wanting or not wanting. And I'm certainly not discouraging or providing any false info here. Why would I do that?

There's real evidence that students are being denied boarding the flight, and have to beg the airline for refund of lakhs of rupees. You have been allowed to board the flight; that doesn't mean everyone else is being allowed to. There are denials.

I obtained my approval too, and trust me, in all probability, I have put in as much hard work as anyone else, if not more. I am admitted into a top-ranked publicly-funded University in a very selective master's program which has very high entry requirements - Canadian-Standard A average grades, and have scored very high in the GRE.

There's information on all fronts that says online is non-essential - My University's international student office, my phone calls with CBSA, and the recent IRCC notice about what is essential / non-discretionary.

I was clearly told by CBSA that since online studies for the fall are not affecting PGWP, travelling now makes it non-essential.

All these indicate that online is non-essential, unless everyone else can also get lucky and get entry into the country.

Also not to forget, students can be denied entry and then there's a real risk of getting stranded at some foreign airport with difficulty in getting a return flight back home. These are real risks. Not talking about them, or just because someone is allowed in, doesn't mean the risks will disappear.
Brother, i am saying you can travel i am example in front of you, reaching Canada is issue that's it, they wont send you back as fall is near also they know how much student put hard work CBSA officers are human as well, don't worry. If your visa is not ending in few months then don't risk and take online classes, if not then try to travel ASAP.

gursewak singh

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
SANGRUR,PUNJAB,INDIA
App. Filed.......
21-08-2013
File Transfer...
25-11-2013
Med's Request
24-09-2013
Med's Done....
25-09-2013
Brother, i am saying you can travel i am example in front of you, reaching Canada is issue that's it, they wont send you back as fall is near also they know how much student put hard work CBSA officers are human as well, don't worry. If your visa is not ending in few months then don't risk and take online classes, if not then try to travel ASAP.
actually flights in India has not started properly so i am waiting for 31st july as it will tell what Indian and Canadian Govt. take next steps so playing safe is the only option here and Vande Bharat flights are already fully booked by PR or citizens.

gursewak singh

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
SANGRUR,PUNJAB,INDIA
App. Filed.......
21-08-2013
File Transfer...
25-11-2013
Med's Request
24-09-2013
Med's Done....
25-09-2013
plus talking about Emirates they don't allow Indian Citizens to board Dubai flights yet. As acc. to Emirates
Flights to Dubai from India will be restricted only to UAE residents.
so we have to wait for 1st august.

Mojito5

Dec 19, 2019

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/07/21/canada-tells-most-international-students-not-to-come-until-travel-ban-is-lifted.html?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMedia&utm_campaign=GTA&utm_content=canada-tells-most-international-students-not-to-come-until-travel-ban-is-lifted&utm_source=facebook&source=the toronto star&utm_medium=SocialMedia&utm_campaign=&utm_campaign_id=&utm_content=

I agree with @GradStudent18 with everything stated in the post - The point is, it is a GREATER risk to travel so we shouldn’t be casually telling people to just book a ticket because you were let in. You were incredibly lucky to be let in considering the circumstances, but it is a fluke and not everyone will experience the same. It’s not fear that’s hindering people from travelling, it’s the overall circumstances.

Yes, sure people with visas issued before March 18 MAY take a chance and travel, without any assurance of being let in - but they have to know the risks involved.

It is not a matter of WANTING to travel or not - of course everyone wants to be in Canada and everyone has put in so much work and effort in having the visa approvals, etc. But will it be WISE to travel? That’s another issue. So unless it is REALLY essential (on-campus component for the most part), then that would be something to consider.

And yes, internet connection and time zones are not considered as essential by SOME border officers (but if others are as lucky as you, then the odds will be in their favor).

Last edited:

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/07/21/canada-tells-most-international-students-not-to-come-until-travel-ban-is-lifted.html?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMedia&utm_campaign=GTA&utm_content=canada-tells-most-international-students-not-to-come-until-travel-ban-is-lifted&utm_source=facebook&source=the toronto star&utm_medium=SocialMedia&utm_campaign=&utm_campaign_id=&utm_content=

I agree with @GradStudent18 with everything stated in the post - The point is, it is a GREATER risk to travel so we shouldn’t be casually telling people to just book a ticket because you were let in. You were incredibly lucky to be let in considering the circumstances, but it is a fluke and not everyone will experience the same. It’s not fear that’s hindering people from travelling, it’s the overall circumstances.

Yes, sure people with visas issued before March 18 MAY take a chance and travel, without any assurance of being let in - but they have to know the risks involved.

It is not a matter of WANTING to travel or not - of course everyone wants to be in Canada and everyone has put in so much work and effort in having the visa approvals, etc. But will it be WISE to travel? That’s another issue. So unless it is REALLY essential (on-campus component for the most part), then that would be something to consider.

And yes, internet connection and time zones are not considered as essential by SOME border officers (but if others are as lucky as you, then the odds will be in their favor).

Thanks for your post! This is exactly what I've been thinking as well!