Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I still don't understand the logic. If I am saying that I am going to be responsible for her trip expenses to/from/in Canada and even her lodging and boarding expenses I think it does mean that the funds I have in my account are available to her and the logically right answer to question "Funds available for my stay(CAD)". As far as the financial ability is concerned, that is to be supported by employment letter/NOA/T4 etc and my bank statement which is not only going to prove the amount entered under Funds available for my stay(CAD) but also the financial ability.

I think if one is meant to financially support a trip by him/herself then that's to be the amount in individual's own account.

I may be wrong on my understanding on this matter but this is at least what I was standing by up to now.

One more question, invitation letter and promissory note can be all together one single letter or they have to be separate?
It's case to case basis, in my experience doing the sv app of my mom, I put zero in funds available in the form, in my view this is the funds in my mom's name, zero, coz she is unemployed and our dependent.
I submitted my NOA and my husband's NOA, I did not submit bank statements, still approved.
In you case, if you want to submit bank statements to make the app stronger, you can.

Invitation letter is addressed to your parent
Signed promise of financial support is addressed to CIC
if you apply online, you can merge these two in one pdf to be uploaded in invitation letter tab ex:
page 1: invitation letter
page 2: signed promise
page 3: your ID like PR card photocopy or Citizenship certificate

APenaso

Mar 15, 2018
Hi, I am new to this forum and I too have a question. Our situation is not unique so I am hoping that some of you can offer some guidance.
My father-in-law recently passed away and my widowed mother-in-law will be on her own so we're planning to bring her here to Canada. I know that Supervisa is the way to go as that will provide her the longest possible time of stay here. My questions are:

1) If we write a letter of invitation - should we mention my father-in-law's death? - My concern is that if we do include this detail, then CIC will read it as we have the intention of having her stay here and apply for a permanent residency status which is eventually our desire.

2) Can we apply for a permanent residency status while she's here (while she's on supervisa?) - if so, do we go the regular route of applying for permanent residency or is there another way? (humanitarian and compassionate grounds perhaps?)

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-APenaso

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi, I am new to this forum and I too have a question. Our situation is not unique so I am hoping that some of you can offer some guidance.
My father-in-law recently passed away and my widowed mother-in-law will be on her own so we're planning to bring her here to Canada. I know that Supervisa is the way to go as that will provide her the longest possible time of stay here. My questions are:

1) If we write a letter of invitation - should we mention my father-in-law's death? - My concern is that if we do include this detail, then CIC will read it as we have the intention of having her stay here and apply for a permanent residency status which is eventually our desire.

2) Can we apply for a permanent residency status while she's here (while she's on supervisa?) - if so, do we go the regular route of applying for permanent residency or is there another way? (humanitarian and compassionate grounds perhaps?)

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-APenaso
1) You can, it's just invitation that you want her here to be with her, bring her to some Canadian places for sight seeing. etc.
2) Yes, the only way is thru PGP sponsorship if you get selected in the lottery.

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
It's case to case basis, in my experience doing the sv app of my mom, I put zero in funds available in the form, in my view this is the funds in my mom's name, zero, coz she is unemployed and our dependent.
I submitted my NOA and my husband's NOA, I did not submit bank statements, still approved.
In you case, if you want to submit bank statements to make the app stronger, you can.

Invitation letter is addressed to your parent
Signed promise of financial support is addressed to CIC
if you apply online, you can merge these two in one pdf to be uploaded in invitation letter tab ex:
page 1: invitation letter
page 2: signed promise
page 3: your ID like PR card photocopy or Citizenship certificate
I know what you mean.
Just did a bit of research on IRCC website to see what exactly they mean by invitation letter:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/letter-invitation.html
After reading this I drafted one letter with the subject "Letter of Invitation and Financial Support" and the contents what IRCC exactly is looking for.
I appreciate you for your insight on my question.

Regarding the funds, I think I am going to mention the funds available in my mother's account + funds available with me and will support this with the bank statements.

yaros

Star Member
Jan 19, 2016
I have a question as well. I have been following this thread and a lot of people mentioned we can only apply for Super Visa from Home country. However, I recently visited one of reputed law firms in Toronto and they said we can apply from within canada with letter of explanation.

So i am just wondering if it's something worth a try? Because I would like to apply myself as they've been asking 3000 dollars in fees.

Currently both my parents are in Canada.

Your response'd be much appreciated.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I have a question as well. I have been following this thread and a lot of people mentioned we can only apply for Super Visa from Home country. However, I recently visited one of reputed law firms in Toronto and they said we can apply from within canada with letter of explanation.

So i am just wondering if it's something worth a try? Because I would like to apply myself as they've been asking 3000 dollars in fees.

Currently both my parents are in Canada.

Your response'd be much appreciated.
Short answer: No you cannot apply for her super visa as an in-Canada application. You can only apply to extend her visitor status/her stay

If you still want to be sure, use this tool:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html

1. Check out two scenarios for the 'What is your current country/territory of residence?'
2. Select 'Canada' as one option..... and the next time around select your mom's home country.
3. Have a look at the list of documents/forms that both selections generate

Do save your 3000 dollars and apply yourself

Last edited:

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
@yaros I wish if it was possible and unfortunately parents have to go back home in order to get a new counterfoil either for a regular visitor's visa or super visa.
Bryanna is right. You can only apply to extend her visitor status

Reactions: yaros

yaros

Star Member
Jan 19, 2016
Short answer: No you cannot apply for her super visa as an in-Canada application. You can only apply to extend her visitor status/her stay

If you still want to be sure, use this tool:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html

1. Check out two scenarios for the 'What is your current country/territory of residence?'
2. Select 'Canada' as one option..... and the next time around select your mom's home country.
3. Have a look at the list of documents/forms that both selections generate

Do save your 3000 dollars and apply yourself
Thanks @Bryanna I just tried what you said. It makes sense now.

Natuh

Mar 15, 2018
Hello! for those who have applied for a visa extension for their parents... can I apply online if my mother is already in Canada? or do I have to send a paper application to one of the processing centres? your advice is much appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all! I am looking for some advice in regards to medical insurance for my mother who is already in Canada. We are applying for super visa or visa extension from within Canada. The thing is my brother, who lives with me, is currently a student at an Ontario college and has international medical insurance. If he includes my mother as a dependent for the one year required, and all the requirements for the medical insurance are met, will this be accepted by the immigration officer?

Also, I have created an account for my mother. Can I send her application online or do I have to send the application package to Vegreville?

Hope you can give me some advice. Thank you!
No your brother can't use his insurance for your mother.

Natuh

Mar 15, 2018
No your brother can't use his insurance for your mother.
Thanks for replying! So even though all the requirements would be covered by the insurance, it would not be accepted? (it'd cover health care, hospital costs and return to home country, covers for $2M and is valid for each entry into Canada). Do you know why they wouldn't accept it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for replying! So even though all the requirements would be covered by the insurance, it would not be accepted? (it'd cover health care, hospital costs and return to home country, covers for $2M and is valid for each entry into Canada). Do you know why they wouldn't accept it?
UHIP plan covers your brother. If it covers dependents that means spouse or common law partner and children. Actually it is quite lucky if they cover dependents for the same fee. Guess many dependents don’t come so the small number allows them not to charge extra. You may be able to get a plan from the same company for your mother. The rates are negotiated based on the fact that the coverage is mostly for young adults and the large amount of people using the coverage through all Ontario university and colleges so they are quite reasonable and included in tuition. Not sure why you thought your mother could be covered and you wouldn’t have to pay for insurance. Same thing if parents came to visit a student at college and university; they still have to purchase travel medical insurance they can’t be added to their child’s uhip policy for free.

Natuh

Mar 15, 2018
UHIP plan covers your brother. If it covers dependents that means spouse or common law partner and children. Actually it is quite lucky if they cover dependents for the same fee. Guess many dependents don’t come so the small number allows them not to charge extra. You may be able to get a plan from the same company for your mother. The rates are negotiated based on the fact that the coverage is mostly for young adults and the large amount of people using the coverage through all Ontario university and colleges so they are quite reasonable and included in tuition. Not sure why you thought your mother could be covered and you wouldn’t have to pay for insurance. Same thing if parents came to visit a student at college and university; they still have to purchase travel medical insurance they can’t be added to their child’s uhip policy for free.
Oh! got your point now... You are right, but just to clarify, we are paying a full fee for adding my mother as a dependent. We are not adding her without paying anything, it is actually quite expensive but since it is such a good coverage and they consider parents as dependents of the student we thought of adding her to the insurance good be a good idea. My questions was more as of what would IRCC think of the idea of my mother being a dependent... meaning what if my brother withdraw from school in that year? would they think is risky to do this?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My questions was more as of what would IRCC think of the idea of my mother being a dependent... meaning what if my brother withdraw from school in that year? would they think is risky to do this?
I think it may not work for another reason.

Your mom would be applying for a super visa on the strength of you being the PR host. IRCC clearly assumes that you will be financially responsible for her entire visit, which includes purchasing medical insurance for her super visa + meeting LICO, of course.

Your brother is not a PR + your mom is not financially dependent on him for a super visa (as per the visa application) + two siblings cannot financially support a parent's super visa application