+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application Stages + What They Mean (MEP, IP1, IP2, Ghost Update...) - Version 2019

PNP@EE

Star Member
Apr 23, 2019
canada
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
22/12/2018
AOR Received.
21/02/2019
Med's Request
22/04/2019 BIL done
Med's Done....
16/04/2019 passed
HI, I am New to this Fourm,

@derkdsou

May 10 2018 EE created
PNP applied November 1 December 23 Approved
I Have met 3 categaory ( PNP, FSTP, CEC) score 814
Reflected in my EE profile
Jan 10 Received ITA
Feb 21 AoR
April 11 application process started (Received Email for update) Got UCI alloted and Status bar

I saw " we will send u message once back ground starts" has changed to processing will message if v need more info.

April 16 Update ( meds passed & Received BIL For Spouse) (Received Email For Update) status bar 4 months to 17 weeks..

Any idea about above inputs. PLS update
After That No Updates

Thanks

Last edited:

srirams91

Star Member
Sep 29, 2018
Guys, where am I placed in the process? I've got one ghost update a day after MEP/BIL

Review of eligibility - We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Review of medical results - You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documents - We do not need additional documents.
Interview - You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Biometrics - Completed.
Background check - We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decision - Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

AoR is March 2, 2019. Stream: FSW-O

My BG has always been "We are processing your background check..."

ranjitrajkumar

Star Member
Aug 9, 2018
IRCC has introduced a number of changes in recent months and it is time to update our understanding of the post-AOR stages. I am simply building on the amazing work of @northern sunshine in developing an explanation of the various stages we can use - informally - to track the progress of our application. Huge thanks in particular to @USProgrammer who has posited the underlying trends and found evidence for them. In short, the traditional transition from IP1 to IP2 to ghost update to PPR still holds but in a modified way due to these changes.

From 31 Dec 2018, everyone except for Inland candidates has to provide their biometrics which means the default starting stage applicants will see for their Background Check is ‘IP2’ (“We are processing your background check…”), however, this is a ‘False IP2’, meaning an IP2 that has appeared before it is actually due as the application has not in fact progressed to the IP2 stage yet.

If you have an AOR of 31 Dec 2018 or later, follow the chart below to track your progress. Candidates will remain in a state of 'False IP2' throughout their application and only see a series of 'ghost updates' following their MEP; the first such ghost update (which should follow shortly after MEP) will signify your Real IP1, the second ghost update will signify your Real IP2, and the third will be your ‘Final’ Ghost Update, following which you are likely to receive your PPR.

If you have an AOR date of up to 30 Dec 2018
, the chart also applies to you if you meet one or more of these conditions: you are a CEC or PNP-Inland candidate, you were required to provide your biometrics or you did not pay your RPRF upfront.

Note for FSW-Outland candidates who have an AOR date of up to 30 Dec 2018: If you did not need to provide biometrics and paid your RPRF upfront, the old transition from NA1 all the way to a Final Ghost Update will still apply to you. Your Background Check should have started in NA1 ("Not Applicable" 1), meaning your Background Check status said "Not Applicable" right after you submitted your application.

General:
EE
- Express Entry: Canada's score-based program for economic immigrants
CRS - Comprehensive Ranking System: System for ranking candidates for EE
ITA - Invitation to Apply: an invitation to apply for permanent residence
e-APR - electronic Application for Permanent Residence: the online application for PR after receiving an ITA
RPRF - Right of Permanent Residence Fee: a fee collected as part of your PR application
AOR - Acknowledgement of Receipt (of application): email confirming receipt of your application after you submit and pay your fees
ADR - Additional Document Request: IRCC sends a message asking you to provide a specific document to supplement your application.

Post-submission stages:
False IP2
- Usually right from AOR or just after MEP. Background Check shows "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.”
MEP - Medicals passed: review of medical results changes from "You do not need a medical exam." to "You have passed the medical exam." There is no email for MEP.
Ghost Update - When you log in, the application says it's been "updated" but none of the fields have changed. Once you logout and log back in, the application returns to being "submitted". Ghost updates are not announced by email and a candidate must check their profile daily to not miss them.
Ghost Update #1 or Real IP1 - "In progress" 1: Background Check changes to "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check." Usually follows MEP. Some applicants (especially Inland and CEC) skip this stage. You should receive an email for your Real IP1 - the email will not provide any details, just that your application has been updated.
NA2 - "Not Applicable" 2: Background Check changes to "Not Applicable" again after IP1. Some applicants skip this stage and it is easily missed. No email.
Ghost Update #2 or Real IP2 - "In progress" 2: Background Check changes to "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information." No email.
NA3 - "Not Applicable" 3: Background Check changes to "Not Applicable" again after IP2 (uncommon).
Ghost Update #3 or Final Ghost Update - Often considered a sign that PPR is coming soon. Not seen by all applicants.
PPR - Passport request: IRCC sends "Ready for visa" e-mail asking you to submit your documents to your visa office so they can issue your CoPR and entry visa if applicable. A PPR is announced only by email, and there may be no changes made directly to the profile. If you are worried you might miss it, you can whitelist the email domain @cic.gc.ca to ensure the email comes straight to your inbox.
CoPR - Confirmation of Permanent Residence: A document that says you've been approved for permanent residence.

Other notes:
1. The ‘eligibility’ and ‘final decision’ fields in your profile will not change to passed until after you receive your CoPR. This is an example of what a profile may look like following a CoPR.
2. Remember that these are not "official" stages, but they are used frequently throughout the forum to track the processing of applications.

This is a combined effort of @northern sunshine, @USProgrammer and myself. Please share your feedback - it is likely we have missed a few things!
Thank you, kind Sir, for putting this information up. I did find it useful to get an idea of my application status. To reconfirm your findings, I did get a ghost update on Saturday the 27th of April (IST). I thought I had imagined the update :). I do not know where we are in the process (IP1 or IP2 MEP and Biometrics(04/04/19) done), but the fact that we had that update is an indication that there has been action on the application. It's a relief to know that we are not alone in this entire process.

Reactions: CrisC and derkdsou

derkdsou

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hi @yiso91, it would appear you are at IP1, which is fine and completely in line with how far you are into your application. It is not possible to comment on whether your eligibility has been started yet or your criminality has been marked "passed", etc. -- only the call center would have such information. Or, if you're really curious, you could order GCMS notes, but it's still very early days, so I'd say hang in there!

@derkdsou Here is my timeline:

AOR 27th Jan
My only Ghost update was on the 11th March were I received an email. Logged in and I found that I passed Medical and that BIL have been also received.

My BG status have been '' We are processing your Background Check '' ever since. I have been checking my online account once everyday ever since and couldn't notice any Ghost updates ever since.

Am quite confused as where I do stand right now. I did notice that many of my fellow applicants whom have a similar Jan AOR have got at least two ghost updates by now.

What do you think of this case?

Primary VO: Ottawa
Secondary VO: Edmonton

Reactions: mumbaikar88

yiso91

Aug 19, 2017
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
27-01-2019
Passport Req..
29-11-2019
Hi @yiso91, it would appear you are at IP1, which is fine and completely in line with how far you are into your application. It is not possible to comment on whether your eligibility has been started yet or your criminality has been marked "passed", etc. -- only the call center would have such information. Or, if you're really curious, you could order GCMS notes, but it's still very early days, so I'd say hang in there!
Looks like Am in for the long run

Fias34

Feb 5, 2019
IRCC has introduced a number of changes in recent months and it is time to update our understanding of the post-AOR stages. I am simply building on the amazing work of @northern sunshine in developing an explanation of the various stages we can use - informally - to track the progress of our application. Huge thanks in particular to @USProgrammer who has posited the underlying trends and found evidence for them. In short, the traditional transition from IP1 to IP2 to ghost update to PPR still holds but in a modified way due to these changes.

From 31 Dec 2018, everyone except for Inland candidates has to provide their biometrics which means the default starting stage applicants will see for their Background Check is ‘IP2’ (“We are processing your background check…”), however, this is a ‘False IP2’, meaning an IP2 that has appeared before it is actually due as the application has not in fact progressed to the IP2 stage yet.

If you have an AOR of 31 Dec 2018 or later, follow the chart below to track your progress. Candidates will remain in a state of 'False IP2' throughout their application and only see a series of 'ghost updates' following their MEP; the first such ghost update (which should follow shortly after MEP) will signify your Real IP1, the second ghost update will signify your Real IP2, and the third will be your ‘Final’ Ghost Update, following which you are likely to receive your PPR.

, the chart also applies to you if you meet one or more of these conditions: you are a CEC or PNP-Inland candidate, you were required to provide your biometrics or you did not pay your RPRF upfront.

Note for FSW-Outland candidates who have an AOR date of up to 30 Dec 2018: If you did not need to provide biometrics and paid your RPRF upfront, the old transition from NA1 all the way to a Final Ghost Update will still apply to you. Your Background Check should have started in NA1 ("Not Applicable" 1), meaning your Background Check status said "Not Applicable" right after you submitted your application.

General:
EE
e-APR - electronic Application for Permanent Residence: the online application for PR after receiving an ITA
RPRF - Right of Permanent Residence Fee: a fee collected as part of your PR application
AOR - Acknowledgement of Receipt (of application): email confirming receipt of your application after you submit and pay your fees
ADR - Additional Document Request: IRCC sends a message asking you to provide a specific document to supplement your application.

Post-submission stages:
False IP2
- Usually right from AOR or just after MEP. Background Check shows "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.”
MEP - Medicals passed: review of medical results changes from "You do not need a medical exam." to "You have passed the medical exam." There is no email for MEP.
Ghost Update - When you log in, the application says it's been "updated" but none of the fields have changed. Once you logout and log back in, the application returns to being "submitted". Ghost updates are not announced by email and a candidate must check their profile daily to not miss them.
Ghost Update #1 or Real IP1 - "In progress" 1: Background Check changes to "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check." Usually follows MEP. Some applicants (especially Inland and CEC) skip this stage. You should receive an email for your Real IP1 - the email will not provide any details, just that your application has been updated.
NA2 - "Not Applicable" 2: Background Check changes to "Not Applicable" again after IP1. Some applicants skip this stage and it is easily missed. No email.
Ghost Update #2 or Real IP2 - "In progress" 2: Background Check changes to "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information." No email.
NA3 - "Not Applicable" 3: Background Check changes to "Not Applicable" again after IP2 (uncommon).
Ghost Update #3 or Final Ghost Update - Often considered a sign that PPR is coming soon. Not seen by all applicants.
PPR - Passport request: IRCC sends "Ready for visa" e-mail asking you to submit your documents to your visa office so they can issue your CoPR and entry visa if applicable. A PPR is announced only by email, and there may be no changes made directly to the profile. If you are worried you might miss it, you can whitelist the email domain @cic.gc.ca to ensure the email comes straight to your inbox.
CoPR - Confirmation of Permanent Residence: A document that says you've been approved for permanent residence.

Other notes:
1. The ‘eligibility’ and ‘final decision’ fields in your profile will not change to passed until after you receive your CoPR. This is an example of what a profile may look like following a CoPR.
2. Remember that these are not "official" stages, but they are used frequently throughout the forum to track the processing of applications.

This is a combined effort of @northern sunshine, @USProgrammer and myself. Please share your feedback - it is likely we have missed a few things!
Thanks a lot for the useful information...
I have a question if anyone can help...
My timeline is
AOR 22Jan
MEP 01 March
Bio 03 March
1st Ghost update 26 March
RPRF payment request 27 March
2nd Ghost update 06 May
PNP Outland

The background status was false IP2 (processing BG check) from MEP until RPRF request, but it changed to file in progress and will inform when start BG check..
So possibly which stage it is? Thanks in advance

yiso91

Aug 19, 2017
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
27-01-2019
Passport Req..
29-11-2019
My timeline is
AOR 22Jan
MEP 01 March
Bio 03 March
2nd Ghost update 06 May
PNP Outland

The background status was false IP2 (processing BG check) from MEP until RPRF request, but it changed to file in progress and will inform when start BG check..
From the frequency of the Ghost updates, it looks like you are very close to PPR and this may come any day now.

Sadly, not everyone of us can see these updates but whomever can , it is definitely a nice indication of your progress.

Fias34

Feb 5, 2019
From the frequency of the Ghost updates, it looks like you are very close to PPR and this may come any day now.

Sadly, not everyone of us can see these updates but whomever can , it is definitely a nice indication of your progress.
Thanks for the reply and hope you too will receive good news very soon..

derkdsou

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2018
If you have, in fact, seen two ghost updates, then the third and final should be near. Remember to whitelist the email domain @cic.gc.ca and keep checking your email and EE profile! Good luck!

My timeline is
AOR 22Jan
MEP 01 March
Bio 03 March
2nd Ghost update 06 May
PNP Outland

Dhanoa32

May 9, 2019
Hii I have applied on April 22 ( CEC) . I have a question as my closed work permit going to expire on 30 September 19, planning to apply BOWP being on LMIA supported permit I will b granted open or closed ? One more question my employer is advertising his business for sale just for checking market value is this will effect my job offer ( claimed 50 points ) . It’s a franchise . He s not going to sell it for nearly a year but for advertising it for sale could b a problem??

Roula soliman

Dec 8, 2018

General:
EE

Post-submission stages:
False IP2

Other notes:

Good morning derkdsou,

Thanks a lot for your help .

I kindly ask you to illuminate me here :

AOR 17 JAN
MEP 26 FEB
BIL 28 FEB
Ghost update with an email with the 2 above stages
my BG status was : we are processing your application .... ,
Got a ghost update on 16th May /no email ,BG changed to :
Your application is in progress ,....
Could you please tell me what is my situation?
Thanks a lot
Rola

derkdsou

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2018
A ghost update does not, in fact, come with an email. It's hard to tell what is going on with your application from what you've said but your PPR could be near considering you have seen a ghost update. You might want to call IRCC (instructions are in my signature) to get an update on your application.

Good morning derkdsou,

Thanks a lot for your help .

I kindly ask you to illuminate me here :

AOR 17 JAN
MEP 26 FEB
BIL 28 FEB
Ghost update with an email with the 2 above stages
my BG status was : we are processing your application .... ,
Got a ghost update on 16th May /no email ,BG changed to :
Your application is in progress ,....
Could you please tell me what is my situation?
Thanks a lot
Rola

Roula soliman

Dec 8, 2018
Thanks for your answer.
I tried to call my VO but couldnt get any info, they asked me to raise a webform.
Thanks
Rola
A ghost update does not, in fact, come with an email. It's hard to tell what is going on with your application from what you've said but your PPR could be near considering you have seen a ghost update. You might want to call IRCC (instructions are in my signature) to get an update on your application.

EEWE

Mar 12, 2019
Seriously, these kinds of speculation about these IP1 IP2 and stuff need to die down!

I've had someone telling me that he's 3 months after AOR (January 1st) and started panicking after reading this thread, thinking that because he has never received any ghost update, thought that his application wasn't started. Called IRCC later only to find Criminality passed, and eligibility pass, and security not started.

He was in "We are Processing your background check" since AOR.

Guys! There is no IP1 or IP2 stage! Every application is different and every office can be different!

You need to relax and wait for 6 months for your processing time. You may or you may not receive so-called ghost update, but whether or not you do doesn't hold any ground of evidence.

Seriously, this Sherlock Holmes madness needs to stop...
Some People find this information useful. It may not have worked for you, but it did work for many. Just let it be

Reactions: Aseefasad