Calgary, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Husband is from Tunisia, VO IS Paris, France
App. Filed.......
May 2016
Interview........
November 2016....refused ...appealed December 2016.....ADR September 25th 2017 - WE WON!!
You have your facts wrong. You had an interview, so you did have the chance to prove yourself. The VO's need the power to make such decisions, if they don't have it, then what are you suggesting? Just like they have the power to reject applications, they have the power to approve them. Why did you try to explain or say something about your present relationship if you were not asked for it? You are supposed to answer their questions, it is an interview, not an informal chatting. If you start saying things that they have not asked you about, it looks suspicious. That's what it is, suspicious. I don't put myself in that situation because I did well in my interview, I did not do anything to put myself in that situation. I was also judged on my past, and very little on my present. The guy that interviewed me would also stop typing if I was saying too much, and did not exactly have a very pleasant look. And the immigration officer also said the word "sure" several times, and that could have been easily taken as sarcastic as well, depending on how you personally think about things. You are not a martyr, you just failed your interview. I understand people sometimes don't know what to do, or what to say, and that's why they don't pass their interview. Does that make it unfair? I don't think so. The application forms themselves, and the guides, clearly tell you that it is your responsibility to prove your relationship is real.
I do agree with you that the process is unfair. Yes someone's past is important and you should be questioned on those things you mentioned....however all facts and evidence should be assessed before coming to a conclusion. These are people's lives we are talking about. And yes unfortunately one person has the power to ask what questions they want, what evidence to look at and what to ignore and make a decision. There is no second set of eyes. It is very subjective. For example - murder trials and people facing jail time for crime.....all information is assessed....all witnesses are interviewed. They don't just look at some facts and some interviews ......all evidence presented is assessed.

However, from what i understand their caseloads are high and they are understaffed...so i am sure this plays a role in how the system functions. Keep your head up, you are not alone. If you love you wife and you guys want to fight this - if you prepare well i am sure you beat it :)

Reactions: Alicee and samola10

Umer.f

Aug 5, 2017
well you can definitely argue in your ADR or full hearing that you thought you were primarily judged on your past rather then the relationship at hand. I think it is important to take responsibility for your past....but like you said emphasis the relationship at hand and the fact that the officer did not look at the evidence you brought in. Is just try prepare with evidence and have logical explanations for any concern brought up at the interview.

Were you honest about your past in your application or was this information they found out and confronted you about it?
First of all thank you for taking the time and replying about my concerns i really appreciate that. Yeah i been honest in my application about my past and yes i do take the responsibility of my past.

Reactions: samola10

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A and PCC: 01-09-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1: 01-09-2017, AOR2: 19-09-2017
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
I do agree with you that the process is unfair. Yes someone's past is important and you should be questioned on those things you mentioned....however all facts and evidence should be assessed before coming to a conclusion. These are people's lives we are talking about. And yes unfortunately one person has the power to ask what questions they want, what evidence to look at and what to ignore and make a decision. There is no second set of eyes. It is very subjective. For example - murder trials and people facing jail time for crime.....all information is assessed....all witnesses are interviewed. They don't just look at some facts and some interviews ......all evidence presented is assessed.

However, from what i understand their caseloads are high and they are understaffed...so i am sure this plays a role in how the system functions. Keep your head up, you are not alone. If you love you wife and you guys want to fight this - if you prepare well i am sure you beat it :)
I don't understand what you are saying, I don't agree the process is unfair, it is fair in my opinion, at least in these cases particularly. Also don't know about your last sentences, I passed my interview and am in the final stages of the process. The facts and evidence are irrelevant if they do not address the officer's concerns. Read the manual they rely on and use, it is public and it mentions their procedures. They don't just ask whatever questions they want, they question about the concerns they have that are keeping them from approving the application. Also, there are second sets of eyes, there is not just one person looking at the case. In mine, particularly, there were three people (that I know of, could be more, supervisors for example) that looked at my case. And you can't do an analogy between a murder trial and/or people facing jail time with a sponsorship application. If you want it to be like that, we would all need lawyers and the process would take years instead of the 6 months, which is their target.
As Buletruck pointed out, if this guy's application had been approved, he wouldn't be saying it was unfair, or the IO was sarcastic when he said sure, or that he was unfair by having a more than legitimate concern about his past, which in other words is saying he was unfair by doing his job the way he's supposed to do it, and he wouldn't be saying it was unfair that he'd stop typing when he'd start talking about things that he wasn't being questioned about.

mweselake

Apr 30, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
May 2016
Interview........
November 2016....refused ...appealed December 2016.....ADR September 25th 2017 - WE WON!!
I don't understand what you are saying, I don't agree the process is unfair, it is fair in my opinion, at least in these cases particularly. Also don't know about your last sentences, I passed my interview and am in the final stages of the process. The facts and evidence are irrelevant if they do not address the officer's concerns. Read the manual they rely on and use, it is public and it mentions their procedures. They don't just ask whatever questions they want, they question about the concerns they have that are keeping them from approving the application. Also, there are second sets of eyes, there is not just one person looking at the case. In mine, particularly, there were three people (that I know of, could be more, supervisors for example) that looked at my case. And you can't do an analogy between a murder trial and/or people facing jail time with a sponsorship application. If you want it to be like that, we would all need lawyers and the process would take years instead of the 6 months, which is their target.

As Buletruck pointed out, if this guy's application had been approved, he wouldn't be saying it was unfair, or the IO was sarcastic when he said sure, or that he was unfair by having a more than legitimate concern about his past, which in other words is saying he was unfair by doing his job the way he's supposed to do it, and he wouldn't be saying it was unfair that he'd stop typing when he'd start talking about things that he wasn't being questioned about.
Well i guess we can debate all day on whether the process is fair or not. I personally do not think processes are 'fair' unless all facts are objectively assessed. That is good you had three people look at your case..not everyone has that luxury....most people i have spoken to who were rejected had just one officer who made a decision at the end of the interview....with no second set of eyes.

My husband for example was initially rejected at his interview....we are similar in age, both never married before, no kids, no illegal activity or past visa applications. Just a young couple wanting to start their lives together. However, he was questioned about my education and job.....which he answered in detail what i was studying, what year, what university, my place of employment, my position and the population i work with. He knew more then i thought he did. However, the officer asked him 'what are her exact university course titles these last two semesters?'. Now you might think this is a fair question but I do not lol. My husband is a carpenter.....I am a social worker...asking someone in a totally different field who does not speak the language as their first language.......to have my advanced university course titles memorized is a bit absurd. In my opinion. I asked my mom and my best friends this same question they could not answer lol. No one close to me in my life has my advanced 4th year university courses memorized. All of my Canadian friends married to Canadians who both speak English do not have their partners specific class titles memorized. This officer made her decision in the interview....told him her answer with no second set of eyes.

Personally when i talk to my spouse i talk about what stresses me, what motivates me, my greatest fears in life my ambitions, our future plans etc. Not come home on the phone and tell him to memorize my university courses that i don't remember the exact list and names of.
Who decides what a 'couple' should take about? Maybe the officers' perception of marriage and conversation is different then me. She was 20 ears older then us....who knows......maybe she makes her husband memorize her exact university courses...i don't know....but to me that is a boring conversation and does not reveal true authenticity.

My father is a biochemist professor of 4th year advanced courses on lipids and plants. He taught the same course for years. I always knew the general area he taught...but not exact course titles. Does this mean i am not engaged in the relationship and I do not love him? Hell no...it just means its not in my field...i am not a biochemist it is not in my realm of thinking.

Fortunately, i won our ADR. I had a friend who was a former immigration officer who helped me prepare...and i just went through all the notes and concerns and backed it up with evidence...including multiple friends and family...who stated ...THEY DO NOT HAVE THEIR SPOUSES COURSES MEMORIZED. In fact the new officer who was supposed to interview me for the ADR...read my evidence in advance and blue book...and made her decision on the spot...allowed the appeal and didn't think an actually ADR interview was necessary.....was this even 'fair'? yes it worked in my favor and i am happy...but again ....ONE PERSON....made a decision.

Additionally, my friend the former visa officer...worked for immigration for years....and he said the officer has the power. He has seen officers in a bad mood one day and reject all applicants. He said the process is not objective at all.....and he worked for them for years.

So I empathize with the other member on the forum because i also believe the process is not always 'fair'. And yes once being rejected it is easy to state that 'it is not fair'...however...if you are approved it is also easy to state that 'it is fair'

Whats fair and not fair is a matter of opinion.

And this is only my experience and opinion.

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A and PCC: 01-09-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1: 01-09-2017, AOR2: 19-09-2017
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
@mweselake When I have been saying it is fair I mean in general basis. On one of my posts I clearly mentioned that I have seen unjust or unfair cases. But this particularly one I don't see the unfair. If you asked me, I see unfairness in your case. However, the process allows you to make an appeal, which I think we can both agree is fair, because if people didn't even have that option, that would definitely be unfair. When I say that three different people were in my application I mean it because the notes show three different people having concerns about my application. The officer who approved my application was just one, although I was interviewed by two people, one being a local citizen and the other one being the immigration officer. The whole thing took almost three hours. The process needs to be both objective and subjective, because this is very much a subjective scenario. You cannot judge relationships simply thinking objectively. If it was like that, robots could do the job. Anyway, these are specific cases. You will find that the vast majority of applications get approved, and also most of the people do think it's fair. I don't think it's fair to wait for years for an ADR or a full hearing though, that is outrageous and ridiculous. But, in the real world, there are countless things that are not fair, and I think a lot of us have learned that.
To make emphasis, I don't think the process was unfair to the guy in question, he just didn't pass his interview. But your interview experience does sound like it was unfair, and you could easily say the process was unfair to you.

mweselake

Apr 30, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
May 2016
Interview........
Well i can guess we can agree to disagree. I am happy there is an appeal process as well...unfortunately it does take a long time. I have been married 2.5 years already lol. That is fortunate that you were interviewed by two people a local and an officer. In my husbands case it was a lady who flew in from France to interview him in his own country lol (Tunisia) . In addition, the interview was in English (her second language) and his third language. We requested a translator for the interview in our application but it was not provided. I am happy to hear that other visa officer's like yours has a few different perceptions .I agree it is subjective and we need to view the relationship through human eyes. But one needs to think critically and and through different angles. In my case, the officers perception of important conversation in a marriage did not match our perception. One needs to challenge their own thoughts beyond their own experiences in relationships because not every relationship is the same.
Anyways i am sure the immigration system will slowly evolve to peoples concern and continually change for the better over time.

Reactions: Alicee

mweselake

Apr 30, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
May 2016
Interview........
Hey everyone so i am feeling a bit depressed.
As you all know my husband and i won our ADR appeal on September 20th 2017
update form request October 23
WE SENT THEM EVERYTHING on NOVEMBER 9TH.....and have been waiting ever since.
I am also 23 weeks pregnant and by myself.

So my MP office called immigration on my behalf asking if the file can be expedited....or whats going on at least. The immigration lady pretty much told her that even though you go through an appeal the processing starts from the beginning....and that they have my husband medical and everything else still needs to be processed. My MP was very surprised by this as she though cases that went through appeals were fast tracked and that they would take her opinion with heavier weight. She did say that it is possible they are just saying that not to get people's hopes up.

I don't know...

Like what is everyone's thoughts? any words of encouragement? Are they f**ing going to interview him again?
And now that its Christmas of course all these officers get to take time off and enjoy Christmas with their loved ones while we are all separated...slowing down the process even more.

habeeb

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is gckey? Is ecas still where one goes to look up the status of applications after appeal?

habeeb

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mweselake

Unfortunately this is true, the whole application has to be processed from the beginning again, and it will likely be 6 months to go through the background checks, medical checks and such. I hate to be pessimistic but there is not likely much chance they will expedite anything for you even tho you are pregnant. You can keep checking in with your MP of course, maybe a miracle will happen! And unfortunately there is a very slight chance he could be called for another interview if there are other concerns, but he can't be refused for the same reason. It's not likely they will do this, but it has happened to at least one person on this thread, I forget who.

I know it sucks going thru this but I think the best you can do is try and focus on the positive, you have won and it's really just a matter of time before he WILL be here and you will be together and can put all this behind you. Keep looking forward to your future, this has helped me keep going. Stay strong you are almost there.

Hey everyone so i am feeling a bit depressed.
As you all know my husband and i won our ADR appeal on September 20th 2017
update form request October 23
WE SENT THEM EVERYTHING on NOVEMBER 9TH.....and have been waiting ever since.
I am also 23 weeks pregnant and by myself.

So my MP office called immigration on my behalf asking if the file can be expedited....or whats going on at least. The immigration lady pretty much told her that even though you go through an appeal the processing starts from the beginning....and that they have my husband medical and everything else still needs to be processed. My MP was very surprised by this as she though cases that went through appeals were fast tracked and that they would take her opinion with heavier weight. She did say that it is possible they are just saying that not to get people's hopes up.

I don't know...

Like what is everyone's thoughts? any words of encouragement? Are they f**ing going to interview him again?
And now that its Christmas of course all these officers get to take time off and enjoy Christmas with their loved ones while we are all separated...slowing down the process even more.

habeeb

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Umer.f

I'm so sorry about your refusal. No matter what that is heartbreaking for anyone going thru this.
I think you're biggest problem is the visa overstay in Europe. You have to understand that to our immigration officers this is probably one of the BIGGEST red flags. In their mind, it is an indication that you are willing to do anything, even break the law, to get out of your country and that likely you are marrying for this reason. I'm not saying you did, only that this is how they think. In your ADR or hearing the only way you can win is to change their mind with a damn good reason why you overstayed. I would highly suggest hiring a lawyer as you will likely need a professional who knows how immigration thinks and how to overcome this red flag. They know how to frame the facts in a way that works in your favour. And when you answer just be confident in your truth as they will focus on this issue again and will try to break you down. I don't know any lawyers in the area but if your wife can, it may be better to go with someone in a bigger city such as Kingston or even Ottawa. It won't be cheap, but you don't want to be cheap with such an important life changing decision.
I wish you the best of luck and success my friend.

Reactions: pakiboy2049

mweselake

Apr 30, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
May 2016
Interview........
mweselake

Unfortunately this is true, the whole application has to be processed from the beginning again, and it will likely be 6 months to go through the background checks, medical checks and such. I hate to be pessimistic but there is not likely much chance they will expedite anything for you even tho you are pregnant. You can keep checking in with your MP of course, maybe a miracle will happen! And unfortunately there is a very slight chance he could be called for another interview if there are other concerns, but he can't be refused for the same reason. It's not likely they will do this, but it has happened to at least one person on this thread, I forget who.

I know it sucks going thru this but I think the best you can do is try and focus on the positive, you have won and it's really just a matter of time before he WILL be here and you will be together and can put all this behind you. Keep looking forward to your future, this has helped me keep going. Stay strong you are almost there.

Do you know why they would interview someone again ?? Do you know why the other member got interviewed ?

Was it for the whole relationship genuine thing or more related to something else like security etc.?

habeeb

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unfortunately I don’t know, I don’t think that person ever said why they got interviewed the second time but as I said they can’t refuse on genuineness of the relationship once the IAD has ruled it as genuine. My guess is it was some kind of fluke, a rare technicality maybe.
As I said, don’t let these things get to you. Stay positive you have won the war it’s just these irritating little battles you have left to fight now.

Do you know why they would interview someone again ?? Do you know why the other member got interviewed ?

Was it for the whole relationship genuine thing or more related to something else like security etc.?

malicia

Star Member
Nov 14, 2016
Well i guess we can debate all day on whether the process is fair or not. I personally do not think processes are 'fair' unless all facts are objectively assessed. That is good you had three people look at your case..not everyone has that luxury....most people i have spoken to who were rejected had just one officer who made a decision at the end of the interview....with no second set of eyes.

My husband for example was initially rejected at his interview....we are similar in age, both never married before, no kids, no illegal activity or past visa applications. Just a young couple wanting to start their lives together. However, he was questioned about my education and job.....which he answered in detail what i was studying, what year, what university, my place of employment, my position and the population i work with. He knew more then i thought he did. However, the officer asked him 'what are her exact university course titles these last two semesters?'. Now you might think this is a fair question but I do not lol. My husband is a carpenter.....I am a social worker...asking someone in a totally different field who does not speak the language as their first language.......to have my advanced university course titles memorized is a bit absurd. In my opinion. I asked my mom and my best friends this same question they could not answer lol. No one close to me in my life has my advanced 4th year university courses memorized. All of my Canadian friends married to Canadians who both speak English do not have their partners specific class titles memorized. This officer made her decision in the interview....told him her answer with no second set of eyes.

Personally when i talk to my spouse i talk about what stresses me, what motivates me, my greatest fears in life my ambitions, our future plans etc. Not come home on the phone and tell him to memorize my university courses that i don't remember the exact list and names of.
Who decides what a 'couple' should take about? Maybe the officers' perception of marriage and conversation is different then me. She was 20 ears older then us....who knows......maybe she makes her husband memorize her exact university courses...i don't know....but to me that is a boring conversation and does not reveal true authenticity.

My father is a biochemist professor of 4th year advanced courses on lipids and plants. He taught the same course for years. I always knew the general area he taught...but not exact course titles. Does this mean i am not engaged in the relationship and I do not love him? Hell no...it just means its not in my field...i am not a biochemist it is not in my realm of thinking.

Fortunately, i won our ADR. I had a friend who was a former immigration officer who helped me prepare...and i just went through all the notes and concerns and backed it up with evidence...including multiple friends and family...who stated ...THEY DO NOT HAVE THEIR SPOUSES COURSES MEMORIZED. In fact the new officer who was supposed to interview me for the ADR...read my evidence in advance and blue book...and made her decision on the spot...allowed the appeal and didn't think an actually ADR interview was necessary.....was this even 'fair'? yes it worked in my favor and i am happy...but again ....ONE PERSON....made a decision.

Additionally, my friend the former visa officer...worked for immigration for years....and he said the officer has the power. He has seen officers in a bad mood one day and reject all applicants. He said the process is not objective at all.....and he worked for them for years.

So I empathize with the other member on the forum because i also believe the process is not always 'fair'. And yes once being rejected it is easy to state that 'it is not fair'...however...if you are approved it is also easy to state that 'it is fair'

Whats fair and not fair is a matter of opinion.

And this is only my experience and opinion.
This is ture like for example my husband office was a older lady she was doing the interview and during the interview she keep leaving the room to go smoke so tell me how can she keep focus on what going on and the look on her face that day tell me she was stress over something she told my husband she is running behind on her next interview and have to cut it short these people

malicia

Star Member
Nov 14, 2016
Unfortunately I don’t know, I don’t think that person ever said why they got interviewed the second time but as I said they can’t refuse on genuineness of the relationship once the IAD has ruled it as genuine. My guess is it was some kind of fluke, a rare technicality maybe.
As I said, don’t let these things get to you. Stay positive you have won the war it’s just these irritating little battles you have left to fight now.
From what I read after your ADR or full hearing is win it still goes to Owahas for a senior office to still over look it from what I understand during this process if they find any other problem appear that's different from what you won your case on they can reject you or call you for a interview that's why it take so long