+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Daisyd5

Star Member
Apr 30, 2013
Hi everyone!

I am sponsoring my husband through Accra. I have been accepted as a sponsor and now our file is in Accra to be processed. My husband wanted to apply for a tourist visa to come see me for Christmas. Anyone of you done this ? Have you need refused?

Thanks

Betina

Jul 17, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
Doc's Request.
05-08-2013 (IMM5669E/Q8), 14-11-2013 (proof of return, of funds, of cohabitation)
AOR Received.
06-06-2013
File Transfer...
11-06-2013
Med's Done....
12-11-2012, repeat x-ray for extension 23-01-2014 (extension granted)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2014
Daisyd5 said:
Hi everyone!

I am sponsoring my husband through Accra. I have been accepted as a sponsor and now our file is in Accra to be processed. My husband wanted to apply for a tourist visa to come see me for Christmas. Anyone of you done this ? Have you need refused?

Thanks
They tend no to give tourist visas for those that applied for PR for fear that they will overstay.

He would need to convince them that he has stronger ties with his country than with Canada: asking for visa for a short period of time, return ticket already purchased, letter from work stating that he is taking a short leave and not quitting, leases/property deeds proving he's keeping his residence, utilities/leases paid in advance, proof that he has a good financial situation in his country, proof that he has dependents that need his help (children, old/sick parents) etc.

It would be a lot easier if you visited him.

ramanjagde

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
July 2014
File Transfer...
Oct 2014
Med's Request
Jan 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 2015
Passport Req..
March 2015
VISA ISSUED...
March 2015
LANDED..........
May 2015
My husband (My sponsor) applied for Spouse Visa in Canada on October 12, 2013. He received an email on 4th January, 2013 about the approval of sponsorship from CIC and they updated in the same email that my file will be sent to New Delhi Visa Office.

As per your recent email from NDVO (reply to my query email) my application was done with initial review and was waiting for interview scheduling.I received this email in June, 2013 after I had sent them an query email in April, 2013.

Till now I haven't received any Passport request from NDVO.

Is this a matter to worry OR should I wait for further communication form NDVO.

What can be done to expedite the process.

Betina

Jul 17, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
Doc's Request.
05-08-2013 (IMM5669E/Q8), 14-11-2013 (proof of return, of funds, of cohabitation)
AOR Received.
06-06-2013
File Transfer...
11-06-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2014
ramanjagde said:
My husband (My sponsor) applied for Spouse Visa in Canada on October 12, 2013. He received an email on 4th January, 2013 about the approval of sponsorship from CIC and they updated in the same email that my file will be sent to New Delhi Visa Office.

As per your recent email from NDVO (reply to my query email) my application was done with initial review and was waiting for interview scheduling.I received this email in June, 2013 after I had sent them an query email in April, 2013.

Till now I haven't received any Passport request from NDVO.

Is this a matter to worry OR should I wait for further communication form NDVO.

What can be done to expedite the process.
Ask for your ATIP/GSMS notes so you can find out what the hold up is.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/latest-caips-gcms-notes-forms-and-how-to-order-t99210.0.html

hemanshu

Sep 11, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2013
AOR Received.
27-03-2013
File Transfer...
27-03-2013
Med's Done....
15-02-2013
Interview........
Waived on July 27
Passport Req..
19-04-2013 (Missed as per the GCMS notes twice)
VISA ISSUED...
Passport Stamped November 8 and Passport Received November 14
LANDED..........
November 15 (Ready to board from New Delhi)
Hi i filed my Spouse Sponsorship in March 1st 2013, Decision was made for the applicant which is me in like 15 days and my file was approved and sent to New Delhi. As per the visa office in New Delhi they have the file since March 26th 2013. After that i have no update as to whats happening. If i look at the Online system it says application received under Spouse Sponsorship and then Medical have been received. After that nothing has been updated. I have got no emails from them except for the one that said that my file has been approved and is at New Delhi Visa office.

I have friends who applied at the same time and two have them said that they have asked for their spouse passport as well whereas they applied a month after me and i have no update.

Any suggestions what i can do. If i try calling Immigration centre here in Canada they say that they have no update and cant help me as the file is in New Delhi and when i write an email to New Delhi visa office they don't even bother to reply back to that email. So its really frustrating as to whats going on.

Would really appreciate some help if someone know what needs to be done.

Also if someone knows anything about the strike update as to are the visa offices in New Delhi open and fully functional or are they still on strike on rotation basis.

Thanks.

nanediniz

Aug 2, 2012
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo-Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2013
AOR Received.
never
File Transfer...
12-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-11-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-09-2013
LANDED..........
Flight booked to Oct 26th
hemanshu said:
Hi i filed my Spouse Sponsorship in March 1st 2013, Decision was made for the applicant which is me in like 15 days and my file was approved and sent to New Delhi. As per the visa office in New Delhi they have the file since March 26th 2013. After that i have no update as to whats happening. If i look at the Online system it says application received under Spouse Sponsorship and then Medical have been received. After that nothing has been updated. I have got no emails from them except for the one that said that my file has been approved and is at New Delhi Visa office.

I have friends who applied at the same time and two have them said that they have asked for their spouse passport as well whereas they applied a month after me and i have no update.

Any suggestions what i can do. If i try calling Immigration centre here in Canada they say that they have no update and cant help me as the file is in New Delhi and when i write an email to New Delhi visa office they don't even bother to reply back to that email. So its really frustrating as to whats going on.

Would really appreciate some help if someone know what needs to be done.

Also if someone knows anything about the strike update as to are the visa offices in New Delhi open and fully functional or are they still on strike on rotation basis.

Thanks.
The only way you can find out the status of your application is in your GCMS notes.
Betina posted same answer to another user right above:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/latest-caips-gcms-notes-forms-and-how-to-order-t99210.0.html

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
Hi , any one out their who is just starting to apply and having trouble printing off the forms . I have downloaded the latest software and can only get some of them .

I am sponsoring my spouse from outland application .

Betina

Jul 17, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
06-06-2013
File Transfer...
11-06-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2014
Hi everybody. I need a bit of help :)

We haven't paid RPRF before applying (we were not in a hurry, but at that time the estimated processing time was 8 months, not 13 like now ??? ) and want to do it now. And we have a conundrum on our hands: when we get to this page https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/epay/immigrationlist.do should we chose:
a. "Family Class (spouse or common-law partner, parents, grandparents, adopted children and other member of family)" under "Application fees for permanent residence in Canada"
or
b. "Right of Permanent Resident Fee" under (shocker! :) ) "Right of Permanent Resident Fee"?
Or is it the same?

Will either way result in a receipt just like the one we included in the application? Are we supposed to mail that receipt to the same address we mailed our application (specifying the file number), or is there another address in Mississauga for this? I know the VO will not take into consideration our payment until they're notified by Mississauga, but is it OK to send them a copy of the receipt anyway? Will that help in any way? Is it true that it takes 3-4 weeks until Mississauga notifies the VO about the payment?

thank you in advance for your responses :D

Betina

Jul 17, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
06-06-2013
File Transfer...
11-06-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2014
taffy7 said:
Hi , any one out their who is just starting to apply and having trouble printing off the forms . I have downloaded the latest software and can only get some of them .

I am sponsoring my spouse from outland application .
Try opening them with the latest Adobe Reader http://get.adobe.com/reader/
It worked for me :)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Betina said:
Try opening them with the latest Adobe Reader http://get.adobe.com/reader/
It worked for me :)
You may still find that some of the forms can only be filled once. If you need to make changes you have to fill in a form from the beginning. It's a known bug/feature that only affects some users.

ellaine

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 22, 2013 , received as per tracking number August 26, 2013
AOR Received.
September 5, 2013
File Transfer...
September 13, 2013
Med's Done....
August 5, 2013
Passport Req..
November 22, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
December 13, 2013
LANDED..........
February 07, 2014 (Winnipeg)
Betina said:
Hi everybody. I need a bit of help :)

We haven't paid RPRF before applying (we were not in a hurry, but at that time the estimated processing time was 8 months, not 13 like now ??? ) and want to do it now. And we have a conundrum on our hands: when we get to this page https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/epay/immigrationlist.do should we chose:
a. "Family Class (spouse or common-law partner, parents, grandparents, adopted children and other member of family)" under "Application fees for permanent residence in Canada"
or
b. "Right of Permanent Resident Fee" under (shocker! :) ) "Right of Permanent Resident Fee"?
Or is it the same?

Will either way result in a receipt just like the one we included in the application? Are we supposed to mail that receipt to the same address we mailed our application (specifying the file number), or is there another address in Mississauga for this? I know the VO will not take into consideration our payment until they're notified by Mississauga, but is it OK to send them a copy of the receipt anyway? Will that help in any way? Is it true that it takes 3-4 weeks until Mississauga notifies the VO about the payment?

thank you in advance for your responses :D
hi betina . i think wella13 knows the answer . she recently sent her scanned RPRF through email. She has same case as yours.i think she scanned the receipt and sent it through email. She has the email ad too.

Etesan

Jan 11, 2013
B.C.
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-11-2013
Doc's Request.
30-12-2013
AOR Received.
25-11-2013
File Transfer...
06-03-2014
We are currently preparing for spousal sponsorship and are wondering why the sponsor assessement takes such a long time, when living in Canada.
10 months for an initial assessement?
I have a job (in Canada) and a joboffer and it seems kind of excessive to rely for such a long time on one income and not even being able to take up the offer :(.
Is that a initial "test" if the relationship is true and that the spouse would go through fire to support the other?

- Is it allowed to volunteer (at the SPCA for example)?
- Is an LMO, for a temporary work permit, needed after my sponsor has passed her assessement or do we have to wait until I have passed the first step of my PR assessement?
- Can I take a college course that takes less than a month? I want to prepare for a better position in my company.

Thanks so much in advance for your answers.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Etesan said:
We are currently preparing for spousal sponsorship and are wondering why the sponsor assessement takes such a long time, when living in Canada.
I have a job (in Canada) and a joboffer and it seems kind of excessive to rely for such a long time on one income and not even being able to take up the offer :(.
Is that a initial "test" if the relationship is true and that the spouse would go through fire to support the other?

- Is it allowed to volunteer (at the SPCA for example)?
- Is an LMO, for a temporary work permit, needed after my sponsor has passed her assessement or do we have to wait until I have passed the first step of my PR assessement?
- Can I take a college course that takes less than a month? I want to prepare for a better position in my company.

Thanks so much in advance for your answers.
I don't think immigration is testing your relationship. They really take that long.

If your prospective employer gets an LMO, you can apply for a work permit regardless of the status of your sponsorship application.

Without an LMO, you would have to wait for your first stage approval in order to get your open work permit. If you applied for your open work permit along with your sponsorship, you should get it as soon as you get your first stage approval. If you didn't, you can apply for it when you get your first stage approval and it may take another couple of months before you get it.

You also have to make sure to keep your status legal. If you applied for an open work permit or an extension of visitor status along with the sponsorship package, you will have implied status as long as you don't leave Canada.

If you are on visitor status, you may volunteer at the SPCA or elsewhere. You may take short courses, less than 6 months, but you may not take courses that give college credits.

ramanjagde

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
July 2014
File Transfer...
Oct 2014
Med's Request
Jan 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 2015
Passport Req..
March 2015
VISA ISSUED...
March 2015
LANDED..........
May 2015
Betina said:
Thanks Betina for the information. I will ask for GSMS notes. One more thing how much a Indian Area MP inquiry works ? I am thinking to ask my Indian Area MP to send inquiry email to NDVO.
And is it mandatory that only my sponsor needs to contact Canadian Area MP, Is its possible that any of my friend/relative can check with Canadian Area MP for File Inquiry.

Thanks in advance. Stay tuned.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Etesan said:
The first phase of the inland process is not simply a sponsor assessment. It's an assessment of the sponsor plus a preliminary evaluation of the applicant / relationship. That's why it takes as long as it does.

For outland, on the other hand, the first phase of the process is limited to the sponsor assessment.

Hence the difference.