+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

alpat

May 25, 2010
hi Leon, i would like to ask if the Mississauga office will send e-mail or any form of notification that they have received our application?
thanks

mattg4469

Mar 27, 2012
I am an America wanting to marry a Canadian. If we marry through the court and then I return to America and apply outland for PR status, will I be able to look for and legally work in Canada once I am approved to move up there? If I am approved through the spouse sponsorship via outland, can I move up there and apply for open work permit? I guess what I'm asking is. After I apply and get approved through an outland sponsorship, How can I find work legally and how soon can I legally work in Canada once I move there?

I would apply inland with the open work permit but does anyone have any idea how long it would take for the open work permit to be assigned? My Canadian spouse doesn't make very much money and for me to live there and not work would be extremely difficult. If we marry and apply inland for the Spouse sponsorship along with the OWP, how long does it take for the OWP to be approved?

Also I have read quite a bit of this thread but it is 230 pages. I saw someone mention the court vs. Religious wedding. I was planning on doing a court wedding and then once I move up there legally and begin working and I could afford a proper wedding, the plan was to have the religious (fancy) wedding once we were financially stable. Is that a bad idea?

I'll be moving to Alberta, if that means anything.

Thank you so much for the help.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
mattg4469 said:
I am an America wanting to marry a Canadian. If we marry through the court and then I return to America and apply outland for PR status, will I be able to look for and legally work in Canada once I am approved to move up there? If I am approved through the spouse sponsorship via outland, can I move up there and apply for open work permit? I guess what I'm asking is. After I apply and get approved through an outland sponsorship, How can I find work legally and how soon can I legally work in Canada once I move there?

I would apply inland with the open work permit but does anyone have any idea how long it would take for the open work permit to be assigned? My Canadian spouse doesn't make very much money and for me to live there and not work would be extremely difficult. If we marry and apply inland for the Spouse sponsorship along with the OWP, how long does it take for the OWP to be approved?

Also I have read quite a bit of this thread but it is 230 pages. I saw someone mention the court vs. Religious wedding. I was planning on doing a court wedding and then once I move up there legally and begin working and I could afford a proper wedding, the plan was to have the religious (fancy) wedding once we were financially stable. Is that a bad idea?

I'll be moving to Alberta, if that means anything.

Thank you so much for the help.
If you apply Inland, you will get an open work permit in approximately 11-12 months based upon current processing times. If you apply outland you will receive PR in less than 13 months (assuming no complications) and many people with straight-forward and well-prepared applications receive them in 6-8 months.

Since you are an American, if you have a skill set that falls into one of the numerous NAFTA categories, you can obtain a work permit. It does NOT require an LMO to obtain such a position - a job offer, job description (showing that it falls into a NAFTA skill category) and your evidence you meet those requirements. Then you show up at the border with your paperwork, two pictures, the work permit application and $150 and they give you a work permit.

Alberta has a shortage of other skills as well. For example, I know an American electrician who obtained a job offer from an Alberta employer with an open LMO and at that point it basically worked the same way as for a NAFTA category job - job offer, copy of the open LMO, pictures, application and fee - and you have your work permit. Their application is still in process last I heard, but they are together and he's working.

calissons

Star Member
Feb 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->SEA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Interview........
Waived
Hi,

Just a question about the change of address in e-cas. Some people say their address appear/disappear/reappear.
What does it mean?
I don't see any address appearing when I log in to the system.
Any thoughts?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
computergeek said:
If you apply Inland, you will get an open work permit in approximately 11-12 months based upon current processing times. If you apply outland you will receive PR in less than 13 months (assuming no complications) and many people with straight-forward and well-prepared applications receive them in 6-8 months.
Just to add/clarify... If you apply outland, this will not allow you to apply for an open work permit. You will only qualify to work once your file has been processed and approved and you have landed in Canada as a permanent resident.

mmg777

Star Member
May 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2011
File Transfer...
01-11-2012
Passport Req..
01-26-2012 / 2-29-2012 passport submitted
My hubby sent his passport to CEM its been one month now, our problem is he is currently working in KSA now his company need his passport to renew his labor card in Saudi Arabia. He want to withdraw his passport to embassy and i don't know what will be the effect on his application once he withdraw his passport or else he will be deported . What is the best thing to do can we fax or email the embassy regarding his situiation? Pls really need your advice..

PLS HELP!!!!

Amy612

Aug 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
N/A
mmg777 said:
My hubby sent his passport to CEM its been one month now, our problem is he is currently working in KSA now his company need his passport to renew his labor card in Saudi Arabia. He want to withdraw his passport to embassy and i don't know what will be the effect on his application once he withdraw his passport or else he will be deported . What is the best thing to do can we fax or email the embassy regarding his situiation? Pls really need your advice..

PLS HELP!!!!
My suggestion, please write an email to embassy describing your current condition. Say that you ned this passport urgently. So they will tell you what to do.

mmg777

Star Member
May 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2011
File Transfer...
01-11-2012
Passport Req..
01-26-2012 / 2-29-2012 passport submitted
Amy thanks for the reply, your right we should email the embassy ..

tommyp

Nov 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 16, 2012
AOR Received.
Sep 6 , 2012
Med's Request
Done before requested
Med's Done....
Jan 30, 2012
LANDED..........
August 29,2013
just wondering me and my wife just got married in quebec we are planning on filing inland since im here my question is do we send documents to quebec also or just send all the forms to one place im so confused any help would be appreciated

missmymexi

Feb 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-17-2012
Doc's Request.
11-26-12 - Common law declaration/PRG/SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa - 09-11-12 / DF 11-26-12
File Transfer...
09-17-12
Med's Done....
02-29-12
tommyp said:
just wondering me and my wife just got married in quebec we are planning on filing inland since im here my question is do we send documents to quebec also or just send all the forms to one place im so confused any help would be appreciated
Quebec handles thier sponsorship immigration differently, I would recommend looking at thier website:

immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/sponsors-sponsored/requirements-sponsor/specific-requirements/index.html

Generally all documents should go to one place in one big package :)

missmymexi

Feb 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-17-2012
Doc's Request.
11-26-12 - Common law declaration/PRG/SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa - 09-11-12 / DF 11-26-12
File Transfer...
09-17-12
Med's Done....
02-29-12
Also there is a thread on here about sponsoring in Quebec as well:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/sponsoring-spouse-in-quebec-t37884.0.html

mattg4469

Mar 27, 2012
I have a BA degree in elementary education. I'm trying to understand the Nafta method. I have never heard this path before. So, I get married, and come back to America and apply via outland. After I am approved, do i still need a job offer, in my case, a teaching job, in order to legally get a work permit. Or can I just go to the border and attempt to get a work permit based on my credentials? Is there any way after I get my approval to move to Canada as a PR to just be able to apply for work? This seems so dumb. Why wouldn't they want people immigrating to Canada to be able to look for work? I don't care if I have to flip burgers, I just need a job to help support my family. From what it seems, I must have a job offer regardless of sponsorship approval in order to work. So I'm better off just waiting to get a job offer, since I am going to have to work any way. Hmmm, can I go the NAFTA route even if I am not married? Could I apply for a job in the education field and then move to Canada with a job offer and apply at the border, or even better, could I still apply under the Alberta nominee program with a NAFTA approved job offer? Thank you for the response. This thread is really helpful.

computergeek said:

Since you are an American, if you have a skill set that falls into one of the numerous NAFTA categories, you can obtain a work permit. It does NOT require an LMO to obtain such a position - a job offer, job description (showing that it falls into a NAFTA skill category) and your evidence you meet those requirements. Then you show up at the border with your paperwork, two pictures, the work permit application and $150 and they give you a work permit.

Alberta has a shortage of other skills as well. For example, I know an American electrician who obtained a job offer from an Alberta employer with an open LMO and at that point it basically worked the same way as for a NAFTA category job - job offer, copy of the open LMO, pictures, application and fee - and you have your work permit. Their application is still in process last I heard, but they are together and he's working.

canadiancitizen

Feb 3, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 10-2011
Doc's Request.
July 8, 2011
Med's Done....
April-26-2011
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
tommyp said:
You need to applied to the Federal that is CIC.

Neel09

Star Member
May 20, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
06/08/2010, Edmonton
Hi Evanhindra or anyone who can answer this:

I am starting to do spousal sponsorship for my wife who lives in indonesia currently and i work in Canada. I will be doing the outside canada application for her.

1. Seems like singapore is the visa consulate for Indonesia. So is singapore visa office very slow? I mean can anyone share their experiences of spousal sponsorship from that consulate so i can somewhat anticipate what to expect in regards to surprises.

2. From the area specific forms, it lists the medicals on the checklist. So the spouse can do the medicals and pcc from now and send that along with her applications to me which i can send all together with my sponsor application to missisagua?

I am originally from India and my wife is chinese from Indonesia. Is it possible to have her apply from canadian consulate in Delhi? She has never been to india but i heard she needs to stay there for sometime if want to appy from there? is it true? this was just a thought i was having if she can have any alternate visa office to apply from. However would likely prefer to apply from singapore itself.

Would really appreciate any advise from the members of this forum.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
mattg4469 said:
I have a BA degree in elementary education. I'm trying to understand the Nafta method. I have never heard this path before. So, I get married, and come back to America and apply via outland. After I am approved, do i still need a job offer, in my case, a teaching job, in order to legally get a work permit. Or can I just go to the border and attempt to get a work permit based on my credentials? Is there any way after I get my approval to move to Canada as a PR to just be able to apply for work? This seems so dumb. Why wouldn't they want people immigrating to Canada to be able to look for work? I don't care if I have to flip burgers, I just need a job to help support my family. From what it seems, I must have a job offer regardless of sponsorship approval in order to work. So I'm better off just waiting to get a job offer, since I am going to have to work any way. Hmmm, can I go the NAFTA route even if I am not married? Could I apply for a job in the education field and then move to Canada with a job offer and apply at the border, or even better, could I still apply under the Alberta nominee program with a NAFTA approved job offer? Thank you for the response. This thread is really helpful.
When you become a permanent resident, you do not need further permits in order to live, work or study in Canada. Apply via the Outland method, since it would be difficult financially for you to wait out the processing for an Inland application. An Outland application can be completed in 6-8 months, provided you have a straightforward, well-documented application. Once you receive your Confirmation of Permanent Residence documents, you just need your passport and your belongings, show up at the border/point of entry, be confirmed as a permanent resident, and settle in with your spouse. From there you can be employed with no further restrictions, except where you might need to meet Canada-specific requirements for your profession.