+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CPP-Ottawa

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
lalune117 said:
My attorney informed me yesterday that I will probably have to retake my medicals since they are going to expire in June... She also insists that this will only back up my application by about a week, which I KNOW isn't true! I really wish there was something I could do about the darn attorney's office! Unfortunately, they way they get paid is 500 dollar retainer up front, 500 dollars upon submission of the application, and 1000 dollars upon the sponsor's approval. So they already have all their money. I'm just SO darn upset about this!
Lalune,

I would try not to worry too much about it. I can't speak for everyone, but I had received a request to redo my medicals, as well. When I went to the DMP to redo them, she mentioned to me that everything was done electronically. So, once I had the xrays done, those were sent via computer file to the DMP and they upload the physical exam, along with the xrays, to the appropriate party. I had received PPR 9 days after my medical results were received. Again, I know everyone's situation is different, but I found this could very well be positive news. Though, I did email CPP-O 8 days after results were sent just to verify that they had been received. The next day, received PPR. However, monetarily, to have to pay to have the medicals redone was quite upsetting for us, as well!

Wishing you all the best!!

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
lalune117 said:
My attorney informed me yesterday that I will probably have to retake my medicals since they are going to expire in June... She also insists that this will only back up my application by about a week, which I KNOW isn't true! I really wish there was something I could do about the darn attorney's office! Unfortunately, they way they get paid is 500 dollar retainer up front, 500 dollars upon submission of the application, and 1000 dollars upon the sponsor's approval. So they already have all their money. I'm just SO darn upset about this!
New medical exam (x-ray only) with the purpose of issuing a new certificate (no known medical issues) only delayed our application 1 week.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
computergeek said:
Why wouldn't the visa office request an extension of your medicals? Making you re-take them would be an unusual step, especially at your point in the application process.
I read that VO's are being required to stick to a standard to request new medical certificates. Ultimately, the VO is not the one to decide what it needs to be done. It is the decision of the Regional Medical Office or the Health Branch. (Operation bulletin 423 - May 24, 2012)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob423.asp

lalune117

Star Member
Feb 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF Requested: 19-02-2013
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
19-06-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2013
I sent an email to my the paralegal in my attorney's office that is handling my case informing them that we have contacted our MP... Now she says the head attorney (partner in the firm) wants to speak with me and they want me to call on Tuesday... Not sure what this means... I feel like I'm being called into the principal's office.

Canuck20

Nov 5, 2012
Beaverton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/08/2012
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
24/09/2012
Med's Done....
24/07/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
9/05/2013
LANDED..........
24/05/2013
lalune117 said:
I sent an email to my the paralegal in my attorney's office that is handling my case informing them that we have contacted our MP... Now she says the head attorney (partner in the firm) wants to speak with me and they want me to call on Tuesday... Not sure what this means... I feel like I'm being called into the principal's office.
The good news......the strap was banned years ago and they can't fail you ;D
The bad news.....you may get your knuckles wrapped for taking some initiative :'(

Canuck20

Nov 5, 2012
Beaverton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/08/2012
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
24/09/2012
Med's Done....
24/07/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
9/05/2013
LANDED..........
24/05/2013
We will finally be landing on May 24 ;D

Any advice on the process would be greatly appreciated. We are doing it by car and will have a full load.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
Canuck20 said:
The good news......the strap was banned years ago and they can't fail you ;D
The bad news.....you may get your knuckles wrapped for taking some initiative :'(
I thought that the bad news was that you can't use the strap on the attorney. 8)

You might start the conversation by thanking them for giving you the opportunity to express how disappointed you are with their services. If they try to make you feel bad, just simply state that, rather than making the process easier and more efficient for you, their bad advice has caused unnecessary delays in your processing, their poor service has created stress for you, and you would not recommend their services to your other immigrating friends. Contacting your MP was and is your right, it's not going to hurt your application, may help, and if it hurts their reputation, they should consider that harm to be self-inflicted.

The fact is that there are delays that are avoidable, and not paying the RPRF up front is a big one - perhaps the most obvious one - and one that a competent immigration attorney should know about and should have advised you about.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
IvanP said:
I thought that the bad news was that you can't use the strap on the attorney. 8)

You might start the conversation by thanking them for giving you the opportunity to express how disappointed you are with their services. If they try to make you feel bad, just simply state that, rather than making the process easier and more efficient for you, their bad advice has caused unnecessary delays in your processing, their poor service has created stress for you, and you would not recommend their services to your other immigrating friends. Contacting your MP was and is your right, it's not going to hurt your application, may help, and if it hurts their reputation, they should consider that harm to be self-inflicted.

The fact is that there are delays that are avoidable, and not paying the RPRF up front is a big one - perhaps the most obvious one - and one that a competent immigration attorney should know about and should have advised you about.
+1

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Vancouver, BC/Pittsburgh, PA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
IvanP said:

I agree, you should stick with it! They'll probably tell you that you should have kept your mouth shut but like IvanP said, it was your right and it can't hurt. Good on you for stepping up =)

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
cempjwi said:
I read that VO's are being required to stick to a standard to request new medical certificates. Ultimately, the VO is not the one to decide what it needs to be done. It is the decision of the Regional Medical Office or the Health Branch. (Operation bulletin 423 - May 24, 2012)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob423.asp
My reading of this is that the visa officer should request a medical renewal if the only thing blocking issuance of the COPR/counter-foil is the medical AND the medicals have been done within the past 15 months. Of course a medical officer always has the right to request additional information, but that's true on the original medical as well.

lalune117

Star Member
Feb 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2012
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
19-06-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2013
So someone told me that CIC says that not paying the RPRF upfront will delay your process... My attorney's office said that they assure me that not paying this fee upfront has not pushed us back and that it does not cause delays to not pay it upfront.

So, the exact words on CIC's website on under calculating your fees are:

"Note. We strongly recommend paying the Right of Permanent Residence Fee along with your processing fees. By doing so, it will reduce the processing time of your application."

So who thinks I should bring that up when I call the attorney on Tuesday?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
lalune117 said:
So someone told me that CIC says that not paying the RPRF upfront will delay your process... My attorney's office said that they assure me that not paying this fee upfront has not pushed us back and that it does not cause delays to not pay it upfront.

So, the exact words on CIC's website on under calculating your fees are:

"Note. We strongly recommend paying the Right of Permanent Residence Fee along with your processing fees. By doing so, it will reduce the processing time of your application."

So who thinks I should bring that up when I call the attorney on Tuesday?
*raises hand*

I would PRINT IT OUT and bring it with me!

lalune117

Star Member
Feb 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2012
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
19-06-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2013
amikety said:
*raises hand*

I would PRINT IT OUT and bring it with me!
My attorney's office is in Montreal... I won't be going there... I'll be on the phone with her.

libellula

Jan 18, 2013
:D Hello everyone!

I can't remember who asked me about the ecase,but we were gone for the weekend and while we were away the ecase tracker sent me an email saying that they had made a decision!
When I came home the ecase had change to decision made on the 15th of may!!!

Canuck20

Nov 5, 2012
Beaverton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/08/2012
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
24/09/2012
Med's Done....
24/07/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2013
VISA ISSUED...
9/05/2013
LANDED..........
24/05/2013
libellula said:
:D Hello everyone!

I can't remember who asked me about the ecase,but we were gone for the weekend and while we were away the ecase tracker sent me an email saying that they had made a decision!
When I came home the ecase had change to decision made on the 15th of may!!!

That is great news :D
This should mean that your COPR is in the mail.