+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work permit after private college

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
hello friends, i have a similar problem. my wife studied one year in public college but then switched her career option and we werent aware that private college had this issue of pgwp. but we only chose the college since it was one of the top colleges in the specific subject field. Almost at the end of her course we realized this and are now stuck. Its a diploma for professional course and now her license exam is coming up soon in oct 2018 and jan 2019 since its split into two parts. I spoke to 3 consultants and they told me based on my wife's record they would apply for a consideration from cic to issue her just a year of pgwp based on her 1 year public college study. i just wanna ask what are our options from any senior members and those who had solved their issue?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hello friends, i have a similar problem. my wife studied one year in public college but then switched her career option and we werent aware that private college had this issue of pgwp. but we only chose the college since it was one of the top colleges in the specific subject field. Almost at the end of her course we realized this and are now stuck. Its a diploma for professional course and now her license exam is coming up soon in oct 2018 and jan 2019 since its split into two parts. I spoke to 3 consultants and they told me based on my wife's record they would apply for a consideration from cic to issue her just a year of pgwp based on her 1 year public college study. i just wanna ask what are our options from any senior members and those who had solved their issue?

Thanks
Have you looked up the private college to see if it qualifies for pgwp. If it really is a leader in the field it might qualify for pgwp.

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
unforuntely it isnt offering pgwp.eligible programs, the college never told us as well as we didint know at the time of enrollment. now wife has graduated and stopped going ther ever since we found out abt this. but im concerned since this is a professional program and she has license exams coming up and her profression comes under NOC B already once she has acquired the license. Do you think there is a way for us to extend or get the pgwp on any grounds? we invsted alot of money and it would not b very nice if we have to leave at this point of time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
unforuntely it isnt offering pgwp.eligible programs, the college never told us as well as we didint know at the time of enrollment. now wife has graduated and stopped going ther ever since we found out abt this. but im concerned since this is a professional program and she has license exams coming up and her profression comes under NOC B already once she has acquired the license. Do you think there is a way for us to extend or get the pgwp on any grounds? we invsted alot of money and it would not b very nice if we have to leave at this point of time.
If the school does not qualify for a PGWP - it is not possible to obtain one.

I'm not sure what you mean by extend. If you want to remain in Canada longer, one option would be for your wife to go back to school full time and this time pick a school and program that qualify for a PGWP. Another option would be for one of you to find an employer willing to give you a job offer and who can also obtain an approved LMIA. Although this tends to be very difficult to do.

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
If the school does not qualify for a PGWP - it is not possible to obtain one.

I'm not sure what you mean by extend. If you want to remain in Canada longer, one option would be for your wife to go back to school full time and this time pick a school and program that qualify for a PGWP. Another option would be for one of you to find an employer willing to give you a job offer and who can also obtain an approved LMIA. Although this tends to be very difficult to do.
We spoke to a consultant and he said they would like to request for a pgwp based on the first year study done at the public college. do u think cic entertains such requests or there have been people who had the pgwp like this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We spoke to a consultant and he said they would like to request for a pgwp based on the first year study done at the public college. do u think cic entertains such requests or there have been people who had the pgwp like this?
Unfortunately I don't think there's any chance IRCC will entertain it. She is applying far too late and no longer qualifies. IRCC doesn't bend these rules. We have seen a handful of similar cases here and they have resulted in refusal. She needs to take another program that qualifies for a PGWP if she wants to apply successfully.

Having said that, you can certainly try if you want to. But be prepared that it will almost certainly be a refusal and have a plan in place for what you will do when that happens.

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
Unfortunately I don't think there's any chance IRCC will entertain it. She is applying far too late and no longer qualifies. IRCC doesn't bend these rules. We have seen a handful of similar cases here and they have resulted in refusal. She needs to take another program that qualifies for a PGWP if she wants to apply successfully.

Having said that, you can certainly try if you want to. But be prepared that it will almost certainly be a refusal and have a plan in place for what you will do when that happens.
Thank us o much for being honest about it. Just wondering what status we could stay on so my wife can attend her license exam?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Wife still has her study permit valid till set 2019 and i have open work permit for the same duration.
She should change her status to visitor (she won't be able to work but can remain in Canada). You can remain in Canada and continue working until September 2019.

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
She should change her status to visitor (she won't be able to work but can remain in Canada). You can remain in Canada and continue working until September 2019.
Thank you Scylla, we will try for that, i guess this is the end of our journey in Canada. Investment through study for us didnt work out. Even though after her license she comes under NOC B. Thanks for ur advises

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you Scylla, we will try for that, i guess this is the end of our journey in Canada. Investment through study for us didnt work out. Even though after her license she comes under NOC B. Thanks for ur advises
If you qualify, you can certainly apply for PR under Express Entry or PNP. There's nothing stopping you from doing that.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If you have been working in a NOC 0,A,B job for a year, that may qualify you for PR via CEC.

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
If you have been working in a NOC 0,A,B job for a year, that may qualify you for PR via CEC.
i guess wife will study another year at this private college while i get a noc 0,a or b required job n build work experience. does it matter if me being a dependent have this CEC for 1 yr, do we still qualify for pr?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
i guess wife will study another year at this private college while i get a noc 0,a or b required job n build work experience. does it matter if me being a dependent have this CEC for 1 yr, do we still qualify for pr?
As long as you are legally allowed to work (and you are), you can use your work experience to qualify.