+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work experience while studing

enigmatic99

Star Member
Jun 27, 2016
1. No work experience gained while being a full time student in Canada can be counted. No points for those. Only exception to this is NOC 4012.

2. Paid NOC 0/A/B work experience acquired within the last 10 years while being a full time student OUTSIDE of Canada can be counted towards CRS points for foreign work experience and/or FSW eligibility points. Of course, this has to be supported with a valid reference letter.

3. Such experience will be part time or full time depending on the number of hours worked/week in addition to full time studies. If hours/week were less than 30, they would count as such. If more than 30, it will be treated as a full time experience.

Hello,
I worked as a part-time Teaching Assistant during my undergrad degree in the University out of Canada. Can I count that as a part of my work experience or only the job after completion of my bachelor's degree will count?

Vvek

Star Member
Jul 16, 2018
no LOE needed if ur work and study were in ur home country...be one of them full time and othere part time or both full time also no issues......many frends i have in uk work/study full time........no issues.
Do you know anybody who claimed both full time undergrad study along with full time job ?

Vvek

Star Member
Jul 16, 2018
I have just graduated from faculty of pharmacy 6 months before.

I have been working a full time job since my second year in college as a pharmacist NOC 3131 before getting my degree of course which is legal in my country.

can my work experience during studying award me points in FSW program ?

I can provide a reference letter, an experience letter and my employer contact information.
all my payment were in cash so i can't provide payslips nor bank statements of the payments

what do you think?
What is your status now??
Did you claim your full time study and full time work experience??

viktan

Oct 3, 2018
Hi,

Sorry to add to this forum again but this is the only question of its kind I could find here.

I am a CEC applicant. In my ITA I have received points for my Canadian experience which is fine.

I have also received points for my full time overseas experience during which I was studying full time. I have had chance to have a look at the links posted and it states only under Canadian work experience that no points can be awarded/credit be given for any work experience done while studying full time. However, it does not state anything like that for overseas experience.

Since I received the points for it? Should I be worried? Will my foreign work experience count. Looking at this thread I don't see any issue why there should be a problem, however any confirmation would be helpful.

vaishnavi

Jun 18, 2016
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
15-06-2018
IELTS Request
07-04-2018
Med's Done....
22-05-2018
Passport Req..
30-07-2018
LANDED..........
13-08-2018
Hi,

Sorry to add to this forum again but this is the only question of its kind I could find here.

I am a CEC applicant. In my ITA I have received points for my Canadian experience which is fine.

I have also received points for my full time overseas experience during which I was studying full time. I have had chance to have a look at the links posted and it states only under Canadian work experience that no points can be awarded/credit be given for any work experience done while studying full time. However, it does not state anything like that for overseas experience.

Since I received the points for it? Should I be worried? Will my foreign work experience count. Looking at this thread I don't see any issue why there should be a problem, however any confirmation would be helpful.
Foreign experience points can be claimed while being a student as long as it was paid.

ViAchKoN

Jun 2, 2018
During my final year at a university I was working as a part time worker in my country. Does this experience is eligible for FSW? I have already received ITA, want to be sure.

Ayxmania

Star Member
Nov 3, 2017
Hello everyone,
I started working full-time in August 2015 till date, and I started my Masters degree in 2016 April and finished in March 2018, full-time.
My classes were from 7am to 12pm Monday to Thursday, while I worked from 1pm to 7pm, Monday to Saturday (36 hours weekly).
Can I claim points for the work experience as full-time or part-time?

canadaspire

Jul 8, 2018
Regarding WES Equivalency Points Calculation, Validity of Work Experience and Upfront Medical

Hello,

I am gathering my documents to make a PR Application through Express Entry (FSW). I have done quite a bit of research online pertaining to WES Equivalency Points Calculation, Validity of Work Experience and Upfront Medical. However, I am still not clear regarding some of the points that could have a direct impact on my application. By creating this post, I hope to get valuable feedback and answers from the well versed members of this forum. So, here goes:

1) I completed my Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science from the UK. The WES Equivalency Report came out as I had hoped for recognizing it as ' Bachelor's degree (four years) and postgraduate diploma (one year)'. I had gotten my Bachelors Degree evaluated as well. This means that I will be able to claim points for 'Two or more degrees, one of which.........'. Can the members confirm this?

2) I started my Postgraduate Diploma in September, 2015 and was awarded the degree in February, 2018. In between this period, I was eligible to undertake a full time work placement of one year which I did; working as a Server Administrator from 23 May, 2016 to 30 May, 2017. Now, my queries are:

a) The placement/ work experience fulfills the requirements of a valid work experience as listed out in the CIC Website viz. work hours, NOC Level, etc. And I also understand from having read other posts in the forum that since this placement was done outside Canada albeit during full time studies, it will count as a valid one. Please confirm this.

b) My transcripts state the start and end date of my studies and my reference letter states the same for my work. Will this be a discrepancy in the Visa Officer's viewpoint in that will the Visa Officer doubt the credibility of the work seeing how it was done in the middle of my degree? I have a letter from my University that explains this situation well by outlining that students are permitted to work full time for one year and so on. Should I attach this letter along with the reference letter or will it further complicate things?

c) If I want to explain this, LoE is a great way to do that, but again, is it necessary? If I don't do it, will it put my application under jeopardy?

d) Also my work as a Server Administrator took place for approximately one year. Once again, this was done as a one year fixed term contract. Will this raise the eyebrows of the Officer?

e) What is the format for LoE? Does it need to be hand written and scanned or will a pdf do as well?

3) Because I wanted to gather all the documents before my PR application, I also took my medical exam and the report is ready. Since I am yet to fill out my Express Entry profile and receive an ITA as I am awaiting my IELTS Results, does this mean I have to undergo a medical exam again when I get an ITA which will hopefully be within the next 2 months or so. The current medical report that I have will be valid till that period anyways. Please do clarify.

Many thanks in advance to the grateful individuals who took out their time to answer these questions.

chandreshjiyani

Sep 20, 2016
Hello guys
Did anybody got their PR with under CEC where they have claimed point of foreign work experience while studying?

Sharonjuly83

Jan 6, 2019
Hi

I truly appreciate your time in guiding everyone about your country PR process.

I am stuck in a situation here where my wife is a primary applicant and she is double graduate as per WES. First was B.Tech.(2008-2012) and then B.Ed. (2015-2017). During her B.Ed. (2015-2017) she was also working full time (2015-2016) and if we add up her education (full time) and work (full time), it's only then we'd meet the cut off points. Do you think she can count both

ankit190389

May 18, 2018
Hi

I truly appreciate your time in guiding everyone about your country PR process.

I am stuck in a situation here where my wife is a primary applicant and she is double graduate as per WES. First was B.Tech.(2008-2012) and then B.Ed. (2015-2017). During her B.Ed. (2015-2017) she was also working full time (2015-2016) and if we add up her education (full time) and work (full time), it's only then we'd meet the cut off points. Do you think she can count both
Yes, its acceptable in case of Canada Pr. One can have study and experience both, but it should be out of Canada.

Reactions: thementor