CanadianDream2015EE

Aug 5, 2015
middle east
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi,

I am just finishing my masters and I have question regarding work experience while studing.
CIC define full time study is 15 academic hours per week.
I studied 14 hours per week on 2 semesters and 16 hours on the third semester.
the average is less than 15 (14.67 hours).

can I claim work experience during my studies?
I believe that in the 2 semesters that I studied 14 academic hours should not be a problem but what about the last one?

I worked full time all the period (45 hours a week) and study in the evening.

thanks

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In general, work experience accumulated during the course of full-time study will not be awarded any CRS points.

expressentryqueen

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14th
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
January 14th
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
LANDED..........
03-07-2016
CanadianDream2015EE said:
hi,

I am just finishing my masters and I have question regarding work experience while studing.
CIC define full time study is 15 academic hours per week.
I studied 14 hours per week on 2 semesters and 16 hours on the third semester.
the average is less than 15 (14.67 hours).

can I claim work experience during my studies?
I believe that in the 2 semesters that I studied 14 academic hours should not be a problem but what about the last one?

I worked full time all the period (45 hours a week) and study in the evening.

thanks
From the link here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6, you may claim work experience gained while studying depending on whether you are applying for the FSW or CEC streams. I will urge OP to thread carefully here though. If you are a full-time student on a study visa in Canada, you are not expected to work more than 20 hours per week (i.e. part-time work) (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/work-off-campus.asp)

Maximum working hours permitted

Students eligible to work under R186(v) can work up to 20 hours per week during their regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks (e.g., winter/summer holidays, reading week) and during the transition period to a post-graduation work permit (if applicable).

Students who are registered as full-time students during summer academic sessions (May to August) may only work up to 20 hours per week during that period.

Some intensive programs may not have scheduled breaks. Students participating in such programs may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the entire program of study.

There are no legal restrictions preventing students from working on-campus in addition to working the maximum 20 hours per week off-campus.

If staff at a designated learning institution goes on strike, students holding an off-campus work permit may not work full-time.

So, if OP has worked 45 hours per week, that is clearly a violation of the terms of the study permit and you wouldn't want to expose yourself to further scrutiny by CIC by claiming that period of time as work experience. Just my thoughts though. :) :)

CanadianDream2015EE

Aug 5, 2015
middle east
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
expressentryqueen said:
From the link here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6, you may claim work experience gained while studying depending on whether you are applying for the FSW or CEC streams. I will urge OP to thread carefully here though. If you are a full-time student on a study visa in Canada, you are not expected to work more than 20 hours per week (i.e. part-time work) (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/work-off-campus.asp)

Maximum working hours permitted

Students eligible to work under R186(v) can work up to 20 hours per week during their regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks (e.g., winter/summer holidays, reading week) and during the transition period to a post-graduation work permit (if applicable).

Students who are registered as full-time students during summer academic sessions (May to August) may only work up to 20 hours per week during that period.

Some intensive programs may not have scheduled breaks. Students participating in such programs may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the entire program of study.

There are no legal restrictions preventing students from working on-campus in addition to working the maximum 20 hours per week off-campus.

If staff at a designated learning institution goes on strike, students holding an off-campus work permit may not work full-time.

So, if OP has worked 45 hours per week, that is clearly a violation of the terms of the study permit and you wouldn't want to expose yourself to further scrutiny by CIC by claiming that period of time as work experience. Just my thoughts though. :) :)
well, I am applying under FSW....
I found the part in ministerial instruction and I will go to immigrant consultant about that.
I hope I will be able to apply once I get my ECA done or once I will gain the 3rd yer of work experience (which is 5 weeks from now).

My main wuestion for now is whether full time study (15 academic hout a week) is about the average hour needed to study during all the degree or each semester on itself

Encore

Star Member
Jul 25, 2015
The answer is already here in the forum.
As long as you answer that your were studying full time, your work experience does not count.
I think you are correct in showing what full time study hours means, but CIC will also say in some part of their website that it depends on the school. So, you need to ask yourself if the school considered you a full time student while you were doing 14hrs or even 6hrs/week of study. Then you also want to think of what you will answer to the question about whether your were studying full time or not. If you say No, you may get the points. But would that be seen as misrepresentation? Because your school would consider you as a full time student. And how will you say No, when the conditions on your study permit says you must be studying full time during the time of your school.
It is quite a dilema.
Just be careful and smart about it.

CanadianDream2015EE

Aug 5, 2015
middle east
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Encore said:
The answer is already here in the forum.
As long as you answer that your were studying full time, your work experience does not count.
I think you are correct in showing what full time study hours means, but CIC will also say in some part of their website that it depends on the school. So, you need to ask yourself if the school considered you a full time student while you were doing 14hrs or even 6hrs/week of study. Then you also want to think of what you will answer to the question about whether your were studying full time or not. If you say No, you may get the points. But would that be seen as misrepresentation? Because your school would consider you as a full time student. And how will you say No, when the conditions on your study permit says you must be studying full time during the time of your school.
It is quite a dilema.
Just be careful and smart about it.
Thanks
but as i said, I studying outside canada in my home country. i never needed permit to study here so i don't know how my school conseider my study.
I guess i need to wait for my official transcript and certificate to see what they mention there

babarsaeed02263

Star Member
Feb 23, 2015
Hi,

I guess i'm also in the same boat. and got a question to you all.

I had a Three Years Diploma of Associate Engineering from 2002-2005, after completing this i started job.

In 2008 i enrolled for bachelor of Technology ( Hons) Course which is a sort of sandwich program, with 2 years of industrial training and 2 years of studies (Part time) weekends only. However, i was allowed to work with my employer during industrial training,and i had to submit a Certificate of service at the end of year which i did (it was a paid job not training).

Long story short, i got assessment as " Bachelor degree four years", The question here,

i am claiming the points for Work Exp during my studies, Will they count my Exp or there may be a objection by CIC? in my EE profile i have mentioned it's a Part time study Program.

Thank you.

Preet_S

Star Member
Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you can claim points for part time work experience and study at same time only if happened outside canada. i read so many post about same on this form after that i claimed points for my part time work exp while studying.

you can search more on this form same question you will find same answer

babarsaeed02263

Star Member
Feb 23, 2015
Thank you Preet-s.

So technically we, (who are outside of Canada) Can Claim points for Exp while studying or working during studies.

what is the status of ur application?

Thanks in advance.

Aragorn165

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Nomination.....
03-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-03-2016
Passport Req..
02-09-2016
Work experience accumulated during studies does not count for CEC. Work experience accumulated during studies can count towards your total for FSWP.

Preet_S

Star Member
Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am confused now. i read so many post on this forum. you can claim points for part time work experience while studying outside canada.

But when i called CIC today they just said No you cannot claim points if you worked part-time while studying.

i am not sure what to do in this situation as i already claimed points for my part time work experience and got ITA.

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Preet_S said:
I am confused now. i read so many post on this forum. you can claim points for part time work experience while studying outside canada.

But when i called CIC today they just said No you cannot claim points if you worked part-time while studying.

i am not sure what to do in this situation as i already claimed points for my part time work experience and got ITA.
Dear Preet,

In my work history section I listed all my part-time work like teaching assistant and web developer which I gained during my masters program in Canada. Recently, I received ITA. After reading some posts they told me that those part time work experiences will not be counted. So I am planning to decline my ITA.

I called CIC to verify my scenario, sometimes they are not helpful in answering our queries.

Aragorn165

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Nomination.....
03-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-03-2016
Passport Req..
02-09-2016
Preet_S said:

Unfortunately, part time experience while studying does not seem to count for CEC, no matter where in the world it was accumulated. The wording on the CIC website, at least, does not make any differentiation between part time student work experience accumulated in Canada, or anywhere else in the world- if you are applying under CEC, it simply will not count.

Preet_S

Star Member
Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok so my part time work experience is foreign work experience not in Canada. I think i can claim points for that. However i got invitation under CEC because of my Canadian work experience.