+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife pregnant after COPR and PPR

janak_j

Aug 30, 2021
Hey there, my first COPR expired on Jan 2021. Yes, I am based out of the US. The last reply I got from them was 'we have received your documents and we will get back in touch for more information if needed". I think this was in late April or May this year.
Your case is quite tricky because you are wife is not currently pregnant and COPR expiry is next year May 2022, so you have a lot of time and the borders are opened and you still can travel. I am not sure how this will work, I would suggest do not reach out to IRCC until your wife is pregnant. Another option would be, you guys travel and get the PR first if you are in US, since US born would not need a visa in any case. You can always take the child with you to Canada if you plan to move in future and then applying for PR.
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes definitely not doing anything as of now. Just wanted to check and explore what options we may have at disposal..... When was ur first Copr issued? It must be post 18 march 2020 I assume.. Did you voluntarily choose to not travel and wait for delivery or was your wife already advanced into pregnancy?

Hope you don't mind my questions

Which would have not allowed you to land anyways since post 18 March folks are still not exempt to travel..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes definitely not doing anything as of now. Just wanted to check and explore what options we may have at disposal..... When was ur first Copr issued? It must be post 18 march 2020 I assume.. Did you voluntarily choose to not travel and wait for delivery or was your wife already advanced into pregnancy?

Hope you don't mind my questions

Which would have not allowed you to land anyways since post 18 March folks are still not exempt to travel..
There has been a lot more flexibility during covid. Normally you would only get an extension if your wife was very advanced in her pregnancy, you have a short COPR timeframe until expiry and the expiry date on her COPR is around the delivery date.

janak_j

Aug 30, 2021
There has been a lot more flexibility during covid. Normally you would only get an extension if your wife was very advanced in her pregnancy, you have a short COPR timeframe until expiry and the expiry date on her COPR is around the delivery date.
Yes, that's what I am hoping. Hopefully Canada immigration personnel give flexibility. I am keen to have baby delivered here in home country as it may be difficult to settle in a new country along with pregnancy. If I exercise this option I ll most definitely be unable to travel before may 22 expiry.

Kassim213

Mar 31, 2020
has any one received new COPR after adding newborn. I am still waiting for 11 months after submission of all the documents!

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
has any one received new COPR after adding newborn. I am still waiting for 11 months after submission of all the documents!
Few folks have received confirmation that their application was Re opened...
Did your application get Re opened but no update since? Are you already a PR or pending landing formalities?

Kassim213

Mar 31, 2020
Few folks have received confirmation that their application was Re opened...
Did your application get Re opened but no update since? Are you already a PR or pending landing formalities?
Thank you for your kind reply. I never landed and my COPR expired before March 19, 2020. The application was re-opened after my baby was born. I did re-medicals in Jan. 2021 and submitted child passport and other forms that were asked. Now waiting

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
Thank you for your kind reply. I never landed and my COPR expired before March 19, 2020. The application was re-opened after my baby was born. I did re-medicals in Jan. 2021 and submitted child passport and other forms that were asked. Now waiting
Was your baby born post Copr Expiry or before expiry and hence you could not travel? This amount delay does look very unusual... Probably other who got re opened may have a update

Enthu@123

Dec 20, 2021
@mapledream19 @maheshmit

I too am in similar situation. Got COPR. Wife is pregnant. I hv updated to IRCC about pregnancy and in their rply they mentioned that if we want to deliver baby in Canada then there is no action required at our end.

What option you r thinking??

I am thinking of getring baby delivered in india and then later sponsor child and complete soft landing before copr expires
Hey, can you detail out what happened in your case? I am in a similar situation

Jan 6, 2022
Hi All, My situation is a bit different. I got my COPR last year and completed my soft landing in Canada in Dec 2021. However my wife cannot complete her landing since she is pregnant and the COPR expires in April 2022 and highly unlikely that she may be able to travel before the COPR expiry date. I have already raised a webform to IRCC. Is there any possibility that IRCC will extend her PR? I'm currently not living in Canada and residing in UAE.

Did any of you who applied for COPR extension due to pregnancy recently got it approved by IRCC?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022
@mapledream19 @maheshmit

I too am in similar situation. Got COPR. Wife is pregnant. I hv updated to IRCC about pregnancy and in their rply they mentioned that if we want to deliver baby in Canada then there is no action required at our end.

What option you r thinking??

I am thinking of getring baby delivered in india and then later sponsor child and complete soft landing before copr expires
Hi Rohit - Did you manage to get the COPR extended due to pregnancy? I'm also in the same situation currently

janak_j

Aug 30, 2021
Hello .. I read through your case and it seems you proactively informed IRCC about pregnancy sometime in Aug/Oct 2020 and then later delivered a child after copr expiry. Could you share your PR timelines like when did you receive your original COPR and what was the expiry date for the same?

Also, since when are you waiting for fresh COPR since you said you already gave re medical in Jan 2021

Thanks in advance.

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Dear Members,

I have my extended COPR issued in mid of last year with validity until May 2022; I have booked my tickets for my family and myself by the end of April. Last week we discovered that my wife is conceived and is in her 1st Trimester.

I initially had plans to stay for two months, search for a job in the meantime to settle permanently, shift my family to Canada, or if not, I shall return to UAE, close all my business positions and move back by mid of 2023 for all good. But due to the changed scenario and family requirements, my wife shall be going to India for delivery after getting the PR card. And we, along with the newborn shall travel back to Canada by Mid of 2023 as planned.

My question is as follows,
1. Should I inform the IRCC about the pregnancy now, although we have plans to do a soft landing?
2. What would be the implications if the child is born outside Canada?
3. Can the newborn get a PR?

If someone can explain the process and steps, I would be obliged.

prrem1

Star Member
Oct 26, 2018
Dear Members,

I have my extended COPR issued in mid of last year with validity until May 2022; I have booked my tickets for my family and myself by the end of April. Last week we discovered that my wife is conceived and is in her 1st Trimester.

I initially had plans to stay for two months, search for a job in the meantime to settle permanently, shift my family to Canada, or if not, I shall return to UAE, close all my business positions and move back by mid of 2023 for all good. But due to the changed scenario and family requirements, my wife shall be going to India for delivery after getting the PR card. And we, along with the newborn shall travel back to Canada by Mid of 2023 as planned.

My question is as follows,
1. Should I inform the IRCC about the pregnancy now, although we have plans to do a soft landing?
2. What would be the implications if the child is born outside Canada?
3. Can the newborn get a PR?

If someone can explain the process and steps, I would be obliged.

This is my take,
1. Yes, inform IRCC ASAP
2. Getting PR for your child is difficult and the process is long
3. Yes the new born can get a PR once you are inside the country and not when you are outside. So its like your child should be outside Canada or be inside through tourist visa and you are already a resident and staying inside Canada. Overall its a lengthy and more cumbersome process.

If you are not desperate to be in Canada immediately, I would suggest waiting for birth of your child and then move together with your family. Once you do the soft landing you cannot just add your new born.

PS: This is my understanding and correct me If I am wrong