+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife pregnant after COPR and PPR

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear Members,

I have my extended COPR issued in mid of last year with validity until May 2022; I have booked my tickets for my family and myself by the end of April. Last week we discovered that my wife is conceived and is in her 1st Trimester.

I initially had plans to stay for two months, search for a job in the meantime to settle permanently, shift my family to Canada, or if not, I shall return to UAE, close all my business positions and move back by mid of 2023 for all good. But due to the changed scenario and family requirements, my wife shall be going to India for delivery after getting the PR card. And we, along with the newborn shall travel back to Canada by Mid of 2023 as planned.

My question is as follows,
1. Should I inform the IRCC about the pregnancy now, although we have plans to do a soft landing?
2. What would be the implications if the child is born outside Canada?
3. Can the newborn get a PR?

If someone can explain the process and steps, I would be obliged.
If the child is born outside Canada the child will need to be sponsored. One parent will need to be in Canada, remain in Canada during the sponsorship process and be compliant with their RO to sponsor their baby. It will take 5-12 months. You can try to get a TRV in the meantime to try to bring the baby to Canada. If denied you can try for a TRP. If denied then you’ll have to wait until sponsorship is approved. Mother should keep in mind that she still needs to meet her RO. If baby enters as a visitor they often don’t have access to provincial healthcare until they receive PR. Depends on the province. You should take out private insurance for emergency but will have to pay for routine care out of pocket.

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
If the child is born outside Canada the child will need to be sponsored. One parent will need to be in Canada, remain in Canada during the sponsorship process and be compliant with their RO to sponsor their baby. It will take 5-12 months. You can try to get a TRV in the meantime to try to bring the baby to Canada. If denied you can try for a TRP. If denied then you’ll have to wait until sponsorship is approved. Mother should keep in mind that she still needs to meet her RO. If baby enters as a visitor they often don’t have access to provincial healthcare until they receive PR. Depends on the province. You should take out private insurance for emergency but will have to pay for routine care out of pocket.
Dear @canuck78

Thank you for your response. To follow up, could you elaborate on the abbreviations as if would help me to understand more clearly. Also, in this given situation, my CoPR is set to expire by end of May 2020. Is it possible to extend so we can travel once the child is born so that we all can get the PR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear @canuck78

Thank you for your response. To follow up, could you elaborate on the abbreviations as if would help me to understand more clearly. Also, in this given situation, my CoPR is set to expire by end of May 2020. Is it possible to extend so we can travel once the child is born so that we all can get the PR?
No it is not possible to extend if your due date is after May.

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
No it is not possible to extend if your due date is after May.
Dear @canuck78

For the above message, let me further give a brief timeline.

I'm an Indian, residing and UAE with my family.

1. My CoPR expires on 28th May 2022.
2. I'm flying on 29th April 2022, doing the landing and be back in UAE by 3rd June 2022.
3. My wife is expected to deliver by the 1st Week of Nov 2022 (Either in India or in UAE).
4. My Business obligations in UAE get completed by August 2023.
5. Shall move permanently to Canada by Sep 2023.

You mentioned that the newborn won't be able to get PR and should be sponsored. In that case, I would like to get some of your inputs for the following.

1. When should I start the sponsorship application, provided I shall settle in Canada by Aug 2023 (or earlier)?
2. What's the validity of this sponsor visa. Until how long should I be sponsoring the baby?
3. How & When can the Newborn attain the status of PR or a citizen?
4. While applying for our Citizenship, can we also apply for the baby?
5. Will the baby be getting the benefits such as Free medical, schooling & CCB?

Appreciate it if all five queries can be answered.

Last edited:

pri91

Feb 14, 2020
Dear @canuck78

2. I'm flying on 29th April 2022, doing the landing and be back in UAE by 3rd June 2022.
3. My wife is expected to deliver by the 1st Week of Nov 2022 (Either in India or in UAE).

You mentioned that the newborn won't be able to get PR and should be sponsored. In that case, I would like to get some of your inputs for the following.

1. When should I start the sponsorship application, provided I shall settle in Canada by Aug 2023 (or earlier)?
2. What's the validity of this sponsor visa. Until how long should I be sponsoring the baby?

Hi - Just wanted to check what steps you took? Will be helpful for us?

prrem1

Star Member
Oct 26, 2018
To benefit others posting here again on the latest update. Since many have been messaging me, please use this first comment first as I will not be able to provide any specific questions related to your case.
IRCC finally came back first week of June 2022, requesting for police verification in our case it was FBI(residing in the US). Once it was uploaded the. next step was to retake the medicals. As of today June 30th 2022. The latest update that I see in mycic/dashboard is "Review of medical results - June 17, 2022:You passed the medical exam."

I expect the next step from them could be requesting passport to be mailed for COPR. The re-process exactly started April 2021.

Note: We already had our COPR done in Jan 2020 but could not travel because of Covid and then followed by baby born dec 2020. So I requested to add baby before travel.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear @canuck78

Sorry missed this post. In case you haven’t received the answers.

Is your wife also doing a short landing?

1. You can only sponsor from Canada as a PR and must remain in Canada during the sponsorship. Short trips of 2-3 weeks are fine.
2. There is no set expiry length of the COPR. Usually coincides with 1 year from the medical.
3. For PR children go through the exact same things as parents. Once a child is a PR they can be included in a parent’s citizenship application.
4. Yes as long as the child is a PR
5. When a child qualifies for provincial medical care depends on the province. The child must meet the residency obligations to qualify for medical care which also depends on the province. A valid health card does no ensure that you qualify for provincial healthcare you must also meetThe healthcare residency obligation as well. Yes the child will qualify for free public schooling although there are still some expenses associated with schooling and you often have to pay for begkre and after school care if both parents work. Before the junior kindergarten parents must pay for daycare or preschool. If the child is in Canada the primary adult caregiver parent can apply for CCB.

Rahul61

Star Member
Dec 5, 2021
Hlo
I want to ask for my case I got copr issued in june 2022 and expiry of copr is 2023/feb
Now my wife is pregnant and expected date of delivery is april 2023 .
Due to some personal reason , we want to delivery baby in india. What steps we shd follow
1. Shoud I inform ircc about pregnancy raising a webform?
2. Can we get our baby added to our application and extension in our copr ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hlo
I want to ask for my case I got copr issued in june 2022 and expiry of copr is 2023/feb
Now my wife is pregnant and expected date of delivery is april 2023 .
Due to some personal reason , we want to delivery baby in india. What steps we shd follow
1. Shoud I inform ircc about pregnancy raising a webform?
2. Can we get our baby added to our application and extension in our copr ?
You should not count upon an extension at all. Hence it would be better for you and spouse to do a soft landing and return to give birth as PRs.

Subsequent to that, you can just sponsor the dependent child.

Note, it's not impossible that IRCC would give an extension of the COPR based on documented medical reasons, but it is uncertain and potentially risky.

Rahul61

Star Member
Dec 5, 2021
You should not count upon an extension at all. Hence it would be better for you and spouse to do a soft landing and return to give birth as PRs.

Subsequent to that, you can just sponsor the dependent child.

Note, it's not impossible that IRCC would give an extension of the COPR based on documented medical reasons, but it is uncertain and potentially risky.
Because if we sponser child later on we have to stay separated till the child get sponsored as pr, if child not get trv

Anyone in group who get extension can through some light

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Anyone in group who get extension can through some light
The only cases I'm aware of were for COPRs issued specifically during the height of the covid travel restrictions and instructions for how to do so were widely published. As far as I can tell those exceptions have been removed and if you read the COPR documentation, it says something to the effect of "no extensions, no exemptions."

So by all means try: but I warn, your spouse will likely find travel MUCH easier and safer earlier in the pregnancy. If you count on getting an extension and it later turns out you cannot, and then (for normal medical reasons due to pregnancy) it could turn out your spouse cannot travel. And then you would likely be looking at much longer and more complicated periods of being apart (such as you landing and having to sponsor your spouse anew), and even less likelihood of being able to get a TRV. TRVs or TRPs for young children are far from being guaranteed but seem more common than for spouses.

So the 'safer' move by far is to go to Canada and do a soft landing sooner.

Entirely up to you how to proceed though. Good luck.

Rahul61

Star Member
Dec 5, 2021
The only cases I'm aware of were for COPRs issued specifically during the height of the covid travel restrictions and instructions for how to do so were widely published. As far as I can tell those exceptions have been removed and if you read the COPR documentation, it says something to the effect of "no extensions, no exemptions."

So by all means try: but I warn, your spouse will likely find travel MUCH easier and safer earlier in the pregnancy. If you count on getting an extension and it later turns out you cannot, and then (for normal medical reasons due to pregnancy) it could turn out your spouse cannot travel. And then you would likely be looking at much longer and more complicated periods of being apart (such as you landing and having to sponsor your spouse anew), and even less likelihood of being able to get a TRV. TRVs or TRPs for young children are far from being guaranteed but seem more common than for spouses.

So the 'safer' move by far is to go to Canada and do a soft landing sooner.

Entirely up to you how to proceed though. Good luck.
Thanks , you are right it may be more complicated later on,

Rejoice2u

Jun 22, 2019
Hi Rahul, what happened in your case? did you sponsor your child? what is the processing period for the sponsoring child?

Hi friends,
I received copr in Jan 2023,
I was planning to do soft landing in May 2023, but now circumstances have changed as we are pregnant and expecting our child in Dec 2023 and my COPR expires in Nov 2023.

As I have already booked flight tickets for May 2023, so what are my options, should I do soft landing in May 2023 and Hard landing in Oct 2023 so to delivery baby in Canada or directly Hard landing in Oct 2023 and forgo the MAY ticket. (non-refundable ticket price 4.5lk) (as I have some obligations and can’t do hard landing before Oct 2023)

Also do we get PR card within 1 month after soft landing?

Please provide your suggestions

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Rahul, what happened in your case? did you sponsor your child? what is the processing period for the sponsoring child?

Hi friends,
I received copr in Jan 2023,
I was planning to do soft landing in May 2023, but now circumstances have changed as we are pregnant and expecting our child in Dec 2023 and my COPR expires in Nov 2023.

As I have already booked flight tickets for May 2023, so what are my options, should I do soft landing in May 2023 and Hard landing in Oct 2023 so to delivery baby in Canada or directly Hard landing in Oct 2023 and forgo the MAY ticket. (non-refundable ticket price 4.5lk) (as I have some obligations and can’t do hard landing before Oct 2023)

Also do we get PR card within 1 month after soft landing?

Please provide your suggestions
As seen in many posts here, it's not likely anyone will receive PR card withinn 1 month after soft landing. Some people are still waiting after 6 months. What province do you plan to deliver your baby?

Rejoice2u

Jun 22, 2019
Planning to delivery in
As seen in many posts here, it's not likely anyone will receive PR card withinn 1 month after soft landing. Some people are still waiting after 6 months. What province do you plan to deliver your baby?
Planning to delivery in canada.
As per CIC, PR card can be urgently processed, has anyone done this? I an ready to buy ticket for Oct 2023 but is this possible?
How do I prove that I need urgent processing for my permanent resident card application? (cic.gc.ca)