+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife pregnant after COPR and PPR

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@mapledream19 @maheshmit

I too am in similar situation. Got COPR. Wife is pregnant. I hv updated to IRCC about pregnancy and in their rply they mentioned that if we want to deliver baby in Canada then there is no action required at our end.

What option you r thinking??

I am thinking of getring baby delivered in india and then later sponsor child and complete soft landing before copr expires
You have to be prepared to be potentially separated from your wife and child for 5-11 months because one parent must be in Canada to sponsor the child. It is really a personal preference.

rohitcem

Feb 11, 2019
AOR Received.
01-02-2019
@canuck78 Is it possible that after birth of baby i and my wife come to Canada and kid stays with grandparents and sponsor kid after reaching Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 Is it possible that after birth of baby i and my wife come to Canada and kid stays with grandparents and sponsor kid after reaching Canada?
Yes that’s not a problem. You just need to make sure to land before the baby is born or list the child as non-accompanying if you are landing after the child is born.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you have the baby before landing, you will need to add him/her to your app. You will have to return the COPRs/visas, as they will no longer be valid. The child will be added and you will all get PR together.

tejalakshman

Jul 3, 2020
Guys I am in the same positions. My CoPR expires in Aug and Can not travel now due to Covid. Indian govt banned international flights till July end and my wife will be 3 months pregnant after July.

If I inform IRCC and they ask me to reopen the application, does that mean my application will be assessed from the starting..IELTS etc or just that the baby will be added to application ??

I am fine with long waiting as long as i dont need to get into the pool again waiting for the CRS draw score to reach mine.

Kassim213

Mar 31, 2020
Guys I am in the same positions. My CoPR expires in Aug and Can not travel now due to Covid. Indian govt banned international flights till July end and my wife will be 3 months pregnant after July.

If I inform IRCC and they ask me to reopen the application, does that mean my application will be assessed from the starting..IELTS etc or just that the baby will be added to application ??

I am fine with long waiting as long as i dont need to get into the pool again waiting for the CRS draw score to reach mine.
Any updates? Im in similar situation, wife pregnant after Copr and delivery just a week after copr expiry.

prrem1

Star Member
Oct 26, 2018
Any updates? Im in similar situation, wife pregnant after Copr and delivery just a week after copr expiry.
We are in the same situation, expecting in December. COPR expiry in December, medicals too. Due to covid we decided not to travel. This is my plan

Once the baby is delivered, I am going to write to CIC using the webform stating the circumstances covid + childbirth and I guess they will reopen the case revoke COPR and request to provide details of the child after birth and re-issuance the COPR along with the child. This could take 6 months or so but its worth the wait than taking any sort of risk rushing to Canada now as anyways we were thinking of only soft landing and not migrating. Currently we are in the US

Kassim213

Mar 31, 2020
We are in the same situation, expecting in December. COPR expiry in December, medicals too. Due to covid we decided not to travel. This is my plan

Once the baby is delivered, I am going to write to CIC using the webform stating the circumstances covid + childbirth and I guess they will reopen the case revoke COPR and request to provide details of the child after birth and re-issuance the COPR along with the child. This could take 6 months or so but its worth the wait than taking any sort of risk rushing to Canada now as anyways we were thinking of only soft landing and not migrating. Currently we are in the US
Thank you very much for the response. My plan is also the same. Copr and delivery both in October. Wishing you all the best!!

Reactions: prrem1

walman

Sep 10, 2020

Hey, I am in a similar situation. Could you tell whether there is an option of reopening the application with the child added, without going through the pool, CRS draw and IELTS again?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You have had sinice December 2019 to land and you’re in the US. You can easily land. People have been able to land at a land border and turn around right away or others have landed by air, quarantined for 14 days and returned home. Not sure how you can justify that you have been unable to land.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you very much for the response. My plan is also the same. Copr and delivery both in October. Wishing you all the best!!
You both have had COPR for a long time. It sounds like you had COPR since Jan or Feb 2020 and you live in the US. Plenty of people landing at the land border while being able to reenter the US right away or fly in, quarantine for 14 days and return to the US. Many in your situation have been landing or doing soft landings.

prrem1

Star Member
Oct 26, 2018
You have had sinice December 2019 to land and you’re in the US. You can easily land. People have been able to land at a land border and turn around right away or others have landed by air, quarantined for 14 days and returned home. Not sure how you can justify that you have been unable to land.
It's a personal choice, do I want to risk an unborn just for a PR ? NO for me. Secondly, the IRCC website clearly states "first time landing for PR and NOT planning to settle is not essential and do no do it"? So people still doing it is their choice and since Canadian immigration officers are friendly it does not mean you can exploit it. I see this has been a general problem with people thinking only about themself and then if the government changes policy tomorrow they complain. Same thing with US H1B visa abuse, fraud etc..
The driving to the border is not for everyone, not for people who stay away from the borders, again its random luck that they will let you turn around

So to cut it short yes there is a lot of ways to justify "Why we could not travel"!

Last edited: