+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife pregnant after COPR and PPR

prrem1

Star Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hey, I am in a similar situation. Could you tell whether there is an option of reopening the application with the child added, without going through the pool, CRS draw and IELTS again?
Just write back to IRCC once you are ready to travel using the web form and they will direct you on what to do. Mostly I guess it will be medicals and then send child documents and passport for COPR re-issuance. I do not see nor heard from anyone that had to go through the entire process.

Y@$h

Nov 13, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-06-2018
Med's Done....
04-06-2018
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
25-09-2020
VISA ISSUED...
TBD
LANDED..........
TBD
We are in the same situation, expecting in December. COPR expiry in December, medicals too. Due to covid we decided not to travel. This is my plan

Once the baby is delivered, I am going to write to CIC using the webform stating the circumstances covid + childbirth and I guess they will reopen the case revoke COPR and request to provide details of the child after birth and re-issuance the COPR along with the child. This could take 6 months or so but its worth the wait than taking any sort of risk rushing to Canada now as anyways we were thinking of only soft landing and not migrating. Currently we are in the US
What did you finally do about this situation?

Kassim213

Mar 31, 2020
What did you finally do about this situation?
speaking about my case, I raised a webform saying that wife is pregnant and we are not willing to travel. Received a response in my account that visa will not be affected if unwilling/unable to travel within the COPR validity time frame. After birth, will raise another webform to request for addition of the child

Y@$h

Nov 13, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-06-2018
Med's Done....
04-06-2018
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
25-09-2020
VISA ISSUED...
TBD
LANDED..........
TBD
speaking about my case, I raised a webform saying that wife is pregnant and we are not willing to travel. Received a response in my account that visa will not be affected if unwilling/unable to travel within the COPR validity time frame. After birth, will raise another webform to request for addition of the child
Adding the child after the birth seems the most logical step here. However, just curious, do you know or have you inquired about how complicated it is? I mean, does it take another year or so for them to evaluate everything? Do they ask for police verification etc?

Kassim213

Mar 31, 2020
Adding the child after the birth seems the most logical step here. However, just curious, do you know or have you inquired about how complicated it is? I mean, does it take another year or so for them to evaluate everything? Do they ask for police verification etc?
What I have been reading on these forums is that you may need medical again but not police verification. Also takes 6 months or so. Good luck to us all

Karan2Fady

Jan 25, 2021
Hello All,

Below is my situation:
1. Received Ready for Visa email on Dec 14, 2020.
2. Medical exams approved on Dec 9, 2020.
3. Provided passports for stamping on Jan 10, 2020
4. Got decision approved on Jan 23, and received Counterfoil date expiry on June 29, 2021.
My wife is pregnant and expected date of delivery is June last week, 2020. Doctor has not recommended her to travel during this period since it is a high risk pregnancy.

Reading the reply above I see that most people have decided to wait till delivery. But I'm not clear if I raise a webform request to inform about my child birth AFTER my COPR is expired, will they entertain our request for adding a child and cancelling existing COPR and re-issue another COPR?

Please suggest.

Kassim213

Mar 31, 2020
Hello All,

Below is my situation:
1. Received Ready for Visa email on Dec 14, 2020.
2. Medical exams approved on Dec 9, 2020.
3. Provided passports for stamping on Jan 10, 2020
4. Got decision approved on Jan 23, and received Counterfoil date expiry on June 29, 2021.
My wife is pregnant and expected date of delivery is June last week, 2020. Doctor has not recommended her to travel during this period since it is a high risk pregnancy.

Reading the reply above I see that most people have decided to wait till delivery. But I'm not clear if I raise a webform request to inform about my child birth AFTER my COPR is expired, will they entertain our request for adding a child and cancelling existing COPR and re-issue another COPR?

Please suggest.
Better to raise webform now to tell that you may not be able to fly now due to the pandemic and pregnancy. You may recieve generic response that your application will not be effected if you are not able to fly. COPR expiry did not matter for me as my child was born after expiry, now my application is open requiring medical exam again. Wish you all the best.

Karan2Fady

Jan 25, 2021
@Kassim213 Thank You so much for the prompt reply. And many congratulations for the new addition to your family

I've 2 more questions:

1) Have you done any kind of landing in Canada before your COPR expired?
2) Did you raise the webform to inform them about your Child birth immediately after the delivery - Asking this because I've heard they usually give you 1 month to get all the documents including child's passport. Will it not be too much to get the child to passport office immediately, especially during this pandemic. <I'm based out of India>

I'm immediately raising a webform request for 'unable to travel'. Hope they respond, because I had also raised a webform request for informing about my wife's pregnancy before my application was approved - but till now did not get a reply.

Reactions: sagarshah

Kassim213

Mar 31, 2020
@Kassim213 Thank You so much for the prompt reply. And many congratulations for the new addition to your family

I've 2 more questions:

1) Have you done any kind of landing in Canada before your COPR expired?
2) Did you raise the webform to inform them about your Child birth immediately after the delivery - Asking this because I've heard they usually give you 1 month to get all the documents including child's passport. Will it not be too much to get the child to passport office immediately, especially during this pandemic. <I'm based out of India>

I'm immediately raising a webform request for 'unable to travel'. Hope they respond, because I had also raised a webform request for informing about my wife's pregnancy before my application was approved - but till now did not get a reply.
I did not do any landing. Yes I raised webform immediately after receiving child birth certificate. You will get 90 days to submit passport etc. But apply for passport immediately after birth. By the time you raise a webform and receive reply, you will have enough time to get the passport. Once they open your application you will have 90 days to submit

Karan2Fady

Jan 25, 2021
Thanks @Kassim213, your inputs are of great help and actually resolved our query.

Also, can you please suggest what all documents have they requested from you this time <when you raised for child birth after the COPR expiry>. Do we need to resubmit all the documents for me and my wife along with our child OR just the documents related to our child.

hummingbird98

Dec 10, 2020
I did not do any landing. Yes I raised webform immediately after receiving child birth certificate. You will get 90 days to submit passport etc. But apply for passport immediately after birth. By the time you raise a webform and receive reply, you will have enough time to get the passport. Once they open your application you will have 90 days to submit
Hi!
Our situation is similar to yours except that in my case my due date is in September. We received the PPR in Dec 2020, and sent our passports right away. However I found out I was pregnant recently while awaiting the COPR (which we still haven’t received). Our COPR will most likely be issued with an expiry of July 17 which is when our medicals expire. We are based in the US and don’t see ourselves going to Canada before the delivery as it’s a high risk pregnancy plus the Covid situation.
Our lawyer has suggested we request IRCC to keep our application open until the birth of the child. She says they will likely send the passports back without the visas which we anyway won’t be using. Does doing this in anyway jeopardize the application? We are prepared for the expected delay, but want to make sure this will not result in rejection of the entire application or something..
Anyone else who can give an input? Thanks!

Karan2Fady

Jan 25, 2021
Hi!
Our situation is similar to yours except that in my case my due date is in September. We received the PPR in Dec 2020, and sent our passports right away. However I found out I was pregnant recently while awaiting the COPR (which we still haven’t received). Our COPR will most likely be issued with an expiry of July 17 which is when our medicals expire. We are based in the US and don’t see ourselves going to Canada before the delivery as it’s a high risk pregnancy plus the Covid situation.
Our lawyer has suggested we request IRCC to keep our application open until the birth of the child. She says they will likely send the passports back without the visas which we anyway won’t be using. Does doing this in anyway jeopardize the application? We are prepared for the expected delay, but want to make sure this will not result in rejection of the entire application or something..
Anyone else who can give an input? Thanks!
We also informed them about our pregnancy much before the passports were requested from us. We also sent a written application with our passports envelope, but even then they did not keep our application open. They still gave us COPR expiry date just before our expected due date. Maybe someone else can give you a better answer if asking them to keep your application open will result in rejection, but I'm convinced now to say they will not keep it open and will still issue you a COPR.

hummingbird98

Dec 10, 2020
We also informed them about our pregnancy much before the passports were requested from us. We also sent a written application with our passports envelope, but even then they did not keep our application open. They still gave us COPR expiry date just before our expected due date. Maybe someone else can give you a better answer if asking them to keep your application open will result in rejection, but I'm convinced now to say they will not keep it open and will still issue you a COPR.
Thank you. What did you do in your case after the COPR was issued? Did you ask for an extension? We are debating whether it is a better option to just wait for the COPR to be issued and then ask for an extension explaining our situation..

Kassim213

Mar 31, 2020
Thanks @Kassim213, your inputs are of great help and actually resolved our query.

Also, can you please suggest what all documents have they requested from you this time <when you raised for child birth after the COPR expiry>. Do we need to resubmit all the documents for me and my wife along with our child OR just the documents related to our child.
Sorry for late reply, just documents for your child and medical exam for you and wife if expired by that time. Also new proof of funds. Ielts, police clearance, experience letter, etc. Not required again