+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA born baby to Canadian PR parents

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks. I believe US born child can stay for atleast 1 year in Canada. What will happen after that ? Given the current processing times are taking more than 1 year.
You apply for extension. Make sure you are clear at border whether the child is given leave to stay of six months or one year.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can we apply for extension even after staying for 1 year?
Yes. But before the 'current' stay expires.

You can check in other threads here but I think it is rare (bordering on extremely rare) they do not extend for children when parents residing in Canada full-time and in compliance with residency obligation. But not an expert.

techie12

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
Yes. But before the 'current' stay expires.

You can check in other threads here but I think it is rare (bordering on extremely rare) they do not extend for children when parents residing in Canada full-time and in compliance with residency obligation. But not an expert.
Thank you so much:)

Y@$h

Nov 13, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-06-2018
Med's Done....
04-06-2018
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
25-09-2020
VISA ISSUED...
TBD
LANDED..........
TBD
Hi Jack,

How did you manage you situation as I am also mostly in same situation
I am currently in USA on H1B visa but me and family has Canada PR(Ontario Province as mine is provincial nomination) where in we completed our landing formalities and came back
We are expecting our baby in Dec 2019 but since now it is risky to move to Canada with family without a job in hand so planning to get my wife delivered here in USA
What was the process to move the baby to Canada may be next year when we finally migrate there?
How much time it took for the baby PR and how much money you spent for sponsorship and PR of baby
Could you please suggest in my case
I am following this thread.

dublin_gsw

Apr 21, 2021
Can anyone share experiences for any questions asked for a US born child to Canadian PRs while entering Canadian border? Like the purpose of visit or how long will the child stay etc?

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
I am following this thread.
HI @Y@$h - Did you find an answer to this? Are we allowed to take US born kids (without PR) to Canada, and then apply for their PR from within Canada? If yes, are there any caveats or rules that I should pay special attention to?

Thank you

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Yes you are allowed.
Thanks for your reply @headingnorth

So, in this case, we'll apply for the kid's PR from within Canada (while we are in Canada), correct? Also, at the Canadian border side, do we just say that the kid will live in Canada as a tourist? Or do CBSA guys expect us to file for the kids' PR application?

Thanks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

So, in this case, we'll apply for the kid's PR from within Canada (while we are in Canada), correct? Also, at the Canadian border side, do we just say that the kid will live in Canada as a tourist? Or do CBSA guys expect us to file for the kids' PR application?

Thanks.
You can only file for the child's PR from within Canada.

You can just tell the CBSA officer that you plan to apply for the child's PR via sponsorship in the near future. (The child will have the immigration status of a temporary resident - call that tourist if you want but it doesn't much matter)

Reactions: AjeyaGupta

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018

Thanks.
Yes that is correct. You have to be inland to apply, because on the applications have details you need to fill about when and where you entered canada from. Also perhaps useful to ask for a year visitor record, perhaps also useful in stating that you will applying for the PR once you are in.

Reactions: AjeyaGupta

strongbull1

May 26, 2021
I applied for PR (Dependent Child) using the new portal https://prson-srpel.apps.cic.gc.ca/en since the Child is US Born. Any idea how long it takes for the application submitted through new portal. My understanding is that paper application is no longer needed for such cases.

We are already residing in Canada