+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA born baby to Canadian PR parents

maddyraja

Apr 19, 2017
My employer usually give 3 month OHIP replacement except regular visit not included since ohip usually takes 3 month . This covergae they extended for my kid only since kid don't have PR .
Can we apply for CCB benefit for our US born little one? Please share ur experience about that.

techie12

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
Looks like in the current scenario it takes at least a year for a US-born baby to get PR. So usually the US citizen can stay for only 6 months without any visa. After that what are the options? Should we apply Visitor visa for the baby? Can we apply while we are in Canada? Or is there any other visa option for the baby to stay until the baby gets PR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Looks like in the current scenario it takes at least a year for a US-born baby to get PR. So usually the US citizen can stay for only 6 months without any visa. After that what are the options? Should we apply Visitor visa for the baby? Can we apply while we are in Canada? Or is there any other visa option for the baby to stay until the baby gets PR?
Apply for an extension or ask for a year on arrival.

Jun 16, 2018
Hi folks,

This question has been asked before in this thread, but I wanted to ask again in May 2021 with so many changes happening in Travel / Visa rules due to COVID.

Me and my wife are Canadian PR.
I moved to Vancouver, BC a week back from Seattle, WA, USA as a part of our permanent move.
My wife and 21 month old kid are still in Seattle and plan to cross over by road in another month.

We got our PR before our kid was born, so he doesn't have a PR.
He is however a US Citizen and we have his Passport and US Birth Certificate.

1. Will he be able to cross the border with my wife using just his US Passport and Birth Certificate?
  2. I understand we have 6 months to apply for his PR. Is that correct?
  3. If the PR application takes more time, does one have to extend his Visitor Visa?
  4. Can we ask for a year of Visitor Visa at the border? Has anyone actually obtained 1 year of visitor visa for their baby?

I thank you for your responses and comments!

cbsg

Star Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hi folks,

This question has been asked before in this thread, but I wanted to ask again in May 2021 with so many changes happening in Travel / Visa rules due to COVID.

I moved to Vancouver, BC a week back from Seattle, WA, USA as a part of our permanent move.
My wife and 21 month old kid are still in Seattle and plan to cross over by road in another month.

1. Will he be able to cross the border with my wife using just his US Passport and Birth Certificate?l
  3. If the PR application takes more time, does one have to extend his Visitor Visa?
  4. Can we ask for a year of Visitor Visa at the border? Has anyone actually obtained 1 year of visitor visa for their baby?

Yes
Not correct . You can apply as long as you want .
PR taking 15 months so you have to extend visitor visa
yes i got one year max at border .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi folks,

1. Will he be able to cross the border with my wife using just his US Passport and Birth Certificate?

Are you compliant with your RO?

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
Hi All, Just checking if you all received your application number. I recieved an application number and a UCI in an email from IRCC, but i could not link it to the online account. It says, not searchable....Please let me know your experience.

Also when i crossed the border with our US born child, i didn't really ask for a visitor record. How does one know how long they have admitted him for? I have seen 6mnths typically, what should we do after 6 months.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All, Just checking if you all received your application number. I recieved an application number and a UCI in an email from IRCC, but i could not link it to the online account. It says, not searchable....Please let me know your experience.

Also when i crossed the border with our US born child, i didn't really ask for a visitor record. How does one know how long they have admitted him for? I have seen 6mnths typically, what should we do after 6 months.
Apply for extension of stay!

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
Hi All, so I sponsored my son for a PR(us citizen) and the sponsorship was approved and got an email stating that it has been forwarded to New York. Next step would probably be receiving COPR ? What timeline would that take. Any idea in recent times.

Reactions: Y@$h

techie12

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
Hi All, so I sponsored my son for a PR(us citizen) and the sponsorship was approved and got an email stating that it has been forwarded to New York. Next step would probably be receiving COPR ? What timeline would that take. Any idea in recent times.
Hi,
May I know if you sponsored your son while in USA or in Canada? Also how long did it take for your son’s PR approval?
We are PR holders and now we would like to sponsor our US born baby.

Reactions: Y@$h

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
Hi,
May I know if you sponsored your son while in USA or in Canada? Also how long did it take for your son’s PR approval?
We are PR holders and now we would like to sponsor our US born baby.
You have to be in Canada when you apply. We have not got PR approval, just the sponsorship approval which came in 23 days. The whole PR process seems to be taking 17 months according to the processing times that are published.

techie12

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
You have to be in Canada when you apply. We have not got PR approval, just the sponsorship approval which came in 23 days. The whole PR process seems to be taking 17 months according to the processing times that are published.
May I know what’s the procedure for this? Do we need to show again proof of funds, medical , biometrics for the baby?