+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA born baby to Canadian PR parents

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
I was in similar situation and currently sponsoring my US born kid.

Your child can enter Canada on her US passport. No visa required. After 6 months of stay you can apply to get her visa extended. Sponsor will need to stay in Canada while child PR is in progress. Short visits outside of Canada while maintaining residence in Canada are OK.
Baby PR will take 6-9 months.
You will need to spend $150 as application and processing fees. No RPRF.
This is a little confusing. While an application for PR is in process, one is allowed to add dependents to it. Now if application is approved, one "MUST" live in canada to apply PR for new born? Second, how long can the child stay in Canada on visitor visa?please confirm. With renewal of visa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This is a little confusing. While an application for PR is in process, one is allowed to add dependents to it. Now if application is approved, one "MUST" live in canada to apply PR for new born? Second, how long can the child stay in Canada on visitor visa?please confirm. With renewal of visa.
If both parents are already PRs and want to sponsor their child for PR, at least one of the parents must be living in Canada when the application is submitted and must continue living in Canada while the application is processed. The same rule applies to spousal sponsorship. PRs must be living in Canada in order to qualify to sponsor a dependent family member.

The child can stay in Canada until a decision in the application is made however you will need to apply to extend their status periodially to keep their status in Canada legal.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Child may also not qualify for things like health coverage while awaiting sponsorship. Depends on the province.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
To clarify - have you already landed in Canada (and hence you already are a PR)? Or you have had application approved but not yet arrived in Canada (not yet a PR)? Or some other status? But basically you need to clarify - are you a PR or not?

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
To clarify - have you already landed in Canada (and hence you already are a PR)? Or you have had application approved but not yet arrived in Canada (not yet a PR)? Or some other status? But basically you need to clarify - are you a PR or not?
Hello. my situation is - landed in Canada. Did PR formalities. Returned to US for ongoing job (planned to shift to Canada later in some time. Expecting a child in few months. Will get PR card delivered to canadian address by then too.

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
what's your question?
Hello. I was responding to the question from armoured - who asked me what is my overall situation. My initial question was - I got my landing permit (CoPR). I intend to softland in May. Then return to US to continue with my ongoing job commitments. Travel to Canada later, eventually. But I am expecting my newborn in USA before I finally make a move. I know my newborn can travel on US passport/birth certificate. But is it mandatory that we apply for child's PR only after we have permanently landed ourselves? cant we start that process while we have some time and are getting ready to shift permanently on PR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello. I was responding to the question from armoured - who asked me what is my overall situation. My initial question was - I got my landing permit (CoPR). I intend to softland in May. Then return to US to continue with my ongoing job commitments. Travel to Canada later, eventually. But I am expecting my newborn in USA before I finally make a move. I know my newborn can travel on US passport/birth certificate. But is it mandatory that we apply for child's PR only after we have permanently landed ourselves? cant we start that process while we have some time and are getting ready to shift permanently on PR?
If you have the baby before landing in Canada and becoming a PR, then you need to notify IRCC and have the child added to your application before you land.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello. my situation is - landed in Canada. Did PR formalities. Returned to US for ongoing job (planned to shift to Canada later in some time. Expecting a child in few months. Will get PR card delivered to canadian address by then too.
Okay, so now it is clear you are already a PR.

No, you cannot start the sponsorship process for your child until you are in Canada.

nookala_vikas

Aug 3, 2014
We recently received our Canada PR's and completed our landing and are back in the USA. We are expecting our first kid later this year and would be moving to Canada after that. Can anyone share what private insurance they have purchased for their newborns while they are waiting for the Medical Insurance cards for their US Born kids?

Also, can anyone confirm after we apply PR for our kids once in Canada do both the parents and the kid have to stay in Canada till the PR application processing is completed, or can one parent and the kid travel outside while the other parent stays back in Canada?

Please advice

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We recently received our Canada PR's and completed our landing and are back in the USA. We are expecting our first kid later this year and would be moving to Canada after that. Can anyone share what private insurance they have purchased for their newborns while they are waiting for the Medical Insurance cards for their US Born kids?

Also, can anyone confirm after we apply PR for our kids once in Canada do both the parents and the kid have to stay in Canada till the PR application processing is completed, or can one parent and the kid travel outside while the other parent stays back in Canada?

Please advice
Depending on the province, your newborn may or may not qualify for healthcare. Some may need to wait until they are a PR before they qualify to apply, some qualify after sponsorship has been initiated and in some provinces (may just be Alberta) children will qualify for a health card as the child of a PR. In the case of Alberta they’ll need to meet the residency requirement to receive healthcare in Alberta which means they need to remain in Alberta for the first 12 months to qualify for a health card and to qualify for access to healthcare. If parents have just done a soft landing most will need to reapply for a new health card if they applied during a short landing period and did not meet the residency requirements to access healthcare. Every province has their own requirements to qualify for healthcare.

Most families purchase emergency travel medical insurance and pay for routine care out of pocket. Would stick with large Canadian insurance companies. The sponsoring parent(s) must remain in Canada during the sponsorship period. The parent must meet their RO to sponsor their child. The children do not need to remain in Canada during the sponsorship program. If claiming CCB the children must be in Canada.

Reactions: missedTheGCBus

nookala_vikas

Aug 3, 2014
Thank you!!

But does that mean both parents need to stay back in Canada to apply for PR for newborns? Also, this is for the province of Sasketchwan.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you!!

But does that mean both parents need to stay back in Canada to apply for PR for newborns? Also, this is for the province of Sasketchwan.
No, just one parent.

The province doesn't matter.

Reactions: canuck78

strongbull1

May 26, 2021
*Dependent Child Sponsorship*
Type of application: Online
Inland/Outland: Inland
App Date: Nov 3 2021
Returned due to missing signatures and other error - Feb 2 2022
Resubmitted with correction - Feb 2 2022
AOR : Apr 13 2022
Sponsor eligibility decision: Apr 13 2022
Medical Request - Apr 13 2022
Medical passed - April 19, 2022
ADR (Additional Documents requested) - June 13 2022 (Address of co-signee) - replied same day
ADR Reminder - Jul 18 2022 (Previous reply via Webform)
ADR Acknowledged - July 25 2022
Pre arrival message : July 27 2022
COPR Number visible in tracker: Aug 2 2022
PR Portal email asking for information: Aug 12 2022
PR Portal received log in details: Aug 17 2022
PR Portal declare my presence in Canada, updated the address and uploaded a picture on the portal: Aug 17 2022
eCOPR available for download : Aug 18 2022