Passport Req..
17-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2017
LANDED..........
27-03-2017
2calgary said:
Thanks

If I am not importing it, can I take it to Canada temporarily (1 month) during landing only?
Yeah should be no problem. After 30 days when you're required to update your address/etc. it may become an issue. Technically I guess you could always keep your old address in the USA and stuff but if you ever got hit or something it'd be insurance fraud possibly. I had to end up selling my car (it's for sale now) and I'm going to lease a new truck in Canada with my wife.

2calgary

Jan 21, 2013
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
barch88 said:
Yeah should be no problem. After 30 days when you're required to update your address/etc. it may become an issue. Technically I guess you could always keep your old address in the USA and stuff but if you ever got hit or something it'd be insurance fraud possibly. I had to end up selling my car (it's for sale now) and I'm going to lease a new truck in Canada with my wife.
Thanks again,
Yes insurance company saying they cover Canada for 3 months visit. I cannot purchase it, tried to sell lease someone but failed until now. So thinking to return later on.

sirbill

Sep 6, 2016
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2017
AOR Received.
07-02-2017
File Transfer...
10-02-2017
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
26-11-2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-03-2017 (mailed 24-03)
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2017
LANDED..........
eta 17-07-2017
2calgary said:
Thanks

If I am not importing it, can I take it to Canada temporarily (1 month) during landing only?
I would call the border and ask this specifically. There are very strict rules regarding cars and residency. In general, a Canadian resident cannot bring a US plated car into Canada (and vice-versa) so since you are landing and officially becoming a Canadian resident it my be an issue. You may have to enter as a visitor, drop off all your stuff then fly back later to officially land.

maledil

Star Member
Aug 22, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2016
AOR Received.
11-05-2016
File Transfer...
SA 24-08-2016 PR App Processing 30-08-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
Decision Made 10-02-2017 - PPR Email 21-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 15-03-2017
LANDED..........
23-03-2017!!!
Well my partner finally got his COPR! So happy we figured out how to do the Fedex prepaid label deal so in the end despite having to send in another set of pictures we only lost a few days. He plans to drive up and land next week!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
acwikla4769 said:
our COPR arrived today!!!!!!!! odd though they have listed condition 51 even though we have been married for more then 2 years
had you been married for 2 years at the time you submitted your application? Condition 51 is applied based on the submission date, not the approval date.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
sirbill said:
I would call the border and ask this specifically. There are very strict rules regarding cars and residency. In general, a Canadian resident cannot bring a US plated car into Canada (and vice-versa) so since you are landing and officially becoming a Canadian resident it my be an issue. You may have to enter as a visitor, drop off all your stuff then fly back later to officially land.
in my experience, this isn't true. CBSA hardly cares if a canadian resident is crossing with a US plated car. What they care about is if the car is legally registered, insured and isn't hiding contraband. They may ask you plans for importing and give you a "warning", but it's unlikely someone is going to be stopped from entering canada because they are driving a legally registered/insured us plated car.

also, a person can absolutely land as a PR with a US plated car that has not started the import process. I had no issue doing this, and the car won't even come up at landing unless it's specified on a goods to follow form.'

The issue is the us insurance company. once they find out the car is permanently in canada, they drop insurance. and the car can't be registered/insured in canada with us plates, so that is why it needs to be imported.

barch88

Dec 19, 2016
Penticton, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-01-2017
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
File Transfer...
26-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
17-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2017
LANDED..........
27-03-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
in my experience, this isn't true. CBSA hardly cares if a canadian resident is crossing with a US plated car. What they care about is if the car is legally registered, insured and isn't hiding contraband. They may ask you plans for importing and give you a "warning", but it's unlikely someone is going to be stopped from entering canada because they are driving a legally registered/insured us plated car.

also, a person can absolutely land as a PR with a US plated car that has not started the import process. I had no issue doing this, and the car won't even come up at landing unless it's specified on a goods to follow form.'

The issue is the us insurance company. once they find out the car is permanently in canada, they drop insurance. and the car can't be registered/insured in canada with us plates, so that is why it needs to be imported.
I'm stuck in this dilemma. So I'm expecting my COPR within the next ~2 months...hopefully...if I land, I basically have 30 days before I'm required to update my address I'm guessing and then after that I'm needing to either import or buy a new car in Canada? I still owe money on my car so I'd probably buy a second car and sell this one off.

Staunts2015

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
11-12-2019
barch88 said:
I'm stuck in this dilemma. So I'm expecting my COPR within the next ~2 months...hopefully...if I land, I basically have 30 days before I'm required to update my address I'm guessing and then after that I'm needing to either import or buy a new car in Canada? I still owe money on my car so I'd probably buy a second car and sell this one off.
Does that mean if you haven't paid off your car loan in full, you can't import it? I thought it was as long as it's not a lease, and if you have the title, but I'm not sure. Can someone clarify that? I wanted to buy a used car before we move, but I won't be able to pay it all off for a while.

barch88

Dec 19, 2016
Penticton, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-01-2017
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
File Transfer...
26-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
17-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2017
LANDED..........
27-03-2017
Staunts2015 said:
Does that mean if you haven't paid off your car loan in full, you can't import it? I thought it was as long as it's not a lease, and if you have the title, but I'm not sure. Can someone clarify that? I wanted to buy a used car before we move, but I won't be able to pay it all off for a while.
Correct, it has to be paid off. You have to have the title, if you haven't paid your car off you don't have the title your bank does - you have a registration.

Staunts2015

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
11-12-2019
barch88 said:
Correct, it has to be paid off. You have to have the title, if you haven't paid your car off you don't have the title your bank does - you have a registration.
Oh, I see. I've only ever purchased one car, and I used cash, so I wasn't aware that the bank keeps your title.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Staunts2015 said:
The only way to know is to contact your bank, but chances are pretty much nil. I've also heard of people transferring the loan to the Canadian division of their bank.

VMDATTA

Star Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa or Mississauga
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-02-2017
AOR Received.
08-03-2017
File Transfer...
19-04-2017
Med's Request
24/05/2017
Med's Done....
25/05/2017
Interview........
none
prvc said:
I'll try my best to answer your question.

Do you only want to keep the green card or apply for a US citizenship afterwards? If you're also after the US citizenship, you can apply for citizenship 3 years after obtaining your green card, of course, you can only do this if you stay married and have been living with your husband in the US the whole time.

About the 2 years, a PR/Conditional PR can apply for what they call the Re-entry permit valid for two years, it means one doesn't have to come back to the US for two years and by this s/he maintain the PR status. One can only apply for this twice, meaning one can only have a maximum of 4 years outside the US. No guarantee for the second application that they will give another two years, it could only be for a year, this depends on the reason why a person would be staying out of the country for that long. So the second time of application, one needs to come back to the US and wait for the appointment again. One can only apply for this while being physically present in the US, it takes a month to get the biometrics appointment, and it takes 2-3months for the actual re-entry permit to be delivered to an American address. It is highly advisable to apply for the permit 60 days before the intended date of traveling. One doesn't have to wait for the actual permit before leaving, it can be delivered to an American address, and have someone mail it outside the US. Both re-entry permit and GC should be valid upon entering the US.

By the way, do you have the Conditional Green Card? If yes, you can file a petition to remove the condition 90 days before your card expires. You cannot renew the conditional one, a permanent green card valid for 10 years will be mailed to you if the conditions will be lifted. Lastly, you don't give back the green card, you should keep it instead.
If you give up a conditional green card to come back to Canada, does that affect your future chances of getting a green card for the US again (if our plans change to go back to the US)? Does the fact that you "gave it back" hurt you in the future if you would like to re-enter the country with your US citizen husband and need to apply for it again?

elenama

Star Member
Nov 8, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
26-04-2017
Hi guys, those of you who provided evidence of your spouse being your primary beneficiary on your Insurance / RRSP’s, what documents did you provide? My both insurance and RRSP are group plans with my employer, and they (IA and Sunlife) are telling me that they can’t provide me with a document showing my beneficiary.
I’m thinking about maybe attaching a copy of my registration form, where I listed my husband as a beneficiary, and asking the HR to give me a letter confirming that my husband is in fact my beneficiary on corporate insurance and RRSP group plans? Do you think that would be sufficient, or does it have to be from the insurance provider?

canadiantica15

Sep 14, 2016
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-04-2017
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
File Transfer...
24-05-2017
Med's Request
06-06-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2017
LANDED..........
15-12-2017
elenama said:
Hi guys, those of you who provided evidence of your spouse being your primary beneficiary on your Insurance / RRSP’s, what documents did you provide? My both insurance and RRSP are group plans with my employer, and they (IA and Sunlife) are telling me that they can’t provide me with a document showing my beneficiary.
I’m thinking about maybe attaching a copy of my registration form, where I listed my husband as a beneficiary, and asking the HR to give me a letter confirming that my husband is in fact my beneficiary on corporate insurance and RRSP group plans? Do you think that would be sufficient, or does it have to be from the insurance provider?

I provided an original letter on company letterhead from my HR dept confirming my common-law partner is my beneficiary. I think any document that recognizes your spouse apart of your insurance benefits is sufficient.

msemmz

Nov 16, 2016
Just send in our application earlier this week and included a copy of the police certificate but we got done last year and is dated May 2016. Should we just request a new one again before they even ask or do you think they would accept it? I've seen medicals extended after they have expired but don't know about the police certificates.
Thank you!