21 Apr 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07 Mar 2016
Interview........
DM 04 June 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
correct, generally speaking the COPR expires the same day medicals do. if medicals expire really close to DM, more than likely CIC will extend them and give an expiration date for weeks or months later.

Yes, you can do a "short landing". Meaning, you can land, return home to pack up, and come back to canada. When you do your landing, you can fill out the "B4" (recently renumbered) form and fill it out as "goods to follow". When you come back with your stuff, you can settle your goods then. there is no time limit for when you can bring your stuff into canada (from what i've been told), so you don't have to bring it all at once. just make sure it's listed as goods to follow.

Keep in mind your PR card will be sent to your new canadian address, and it could take an extended period of time to get it after landing. For US citizens though, it's not required to have it to travel. your stamped COPR and Passport will be sufficient enough to enter canada until you get your card.
Thank you so much for the info! Do you know how much time I would have between the short landing and when I would have to return to Canada? Thanks again!

carr1

Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2015
Doc's Request.
16-02-16 FBI check
AOR Received.
16-09-2015
File Transfer...
27-10-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
29-05-2015
Passport Req..
2-4-16 DM
VISA ISSUED...
8-4-16 COPR Arrived
LANDED..........
10-4-16 Landed
fleuredeflorida said:
Hoping to get some advice/insight on this....I am currently in Canada as a visitor, visiting my wife while we were working on finalizing and submitting the visa paperwork to submit. We just got all the pieces we needed today!

I had planned to stay up to the six months and if we didn't get COPR by then, I would go back to the states to wait for it. I brought my cat with me and due to my wife's extreme and unexpected allergies, we can't keep her in our space any longer. Unfortunately I have been turning up a lot of dead ends in trying to find the cat a new home here in Toronto. We are considering the possibility of me having to fly back to the US with the cat (I can take her to my parents), but I am concerned that flying in and out so often before the visa paperwork is submitted could be a problem.

Has anyone visited for several weeks, left for one or two weeks back to the US, and then come back into Canada again? Does this frequency of traveling in and out as a visitor cause any issues at the border?
When my now hubby and I started dating over the first summer I came to Toronto and visited him numerous times including a six week stay. I never had any issues over that summer. I made 4 or 5 trips and the trip I stayed 6 weeks I originally was only going to stay 1 week but then changed my ticket after I arrived. Even after that extended stay I didn't have issues with CBSA when visiting.
Of course no one can ever say how CBSA will be but I personally didn't have issues with lots of trips back and forth.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
ktorva said:
Thank you so much for the info! Do you know how much time I would have between the short landing and when I would have to return to Canada? Thanks again!
once you land, you're a pr and there's no rule for when you "have" to return. what you want to keep in mind is the residency obligations for being a PR, and any residency obligations for getting healthcare for your province. if you only plan to be away for a couple or a few months, then there really is no issue. Once you land, you can enter and exit as you please as a PR.

nmclean

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
Doc's Request.
28-01-2016
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-06-2016
julies879 said:
$10k exempt on the returning Canadians stuff? If we only have one car [valued at around...$7k], do you think this will be an issue?

I'm not really sure how we are to break it down when we cross because everything we have, we share. Any thoughts?
I think the only issue with Sunset was that the Canadian's name was on the title of a US car. You can change this to be in just the American's name, and anything else of US origin should easily qualify as the American settler's effects even if you share it. Anything of Canadian origin can belong to the Canadian and would be free to return to Canada.

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
nmclean said:
I think the only issue with Sunset was that the Canadian's name was on the title of a US car. You can change this to be in just the American's name, and anything else of US origin should easily qualify as the American settler's effects even if you share it. Anything of Canadian origin can belong to the Canadian and would be free to return to Canada.
Yeah we had both our names on the cars... I did not have to sign the title ... They agreed that because I left Canada without a car and I am returning with one that it was my hubby the settlers cars...the problem we are having now is we were told that once you get your cars across that Canadian Tire was going to hit you up for $1000 bucks.. We made sure we had all our ducks in a row before we left VA and including ALL recalls and inspection before we left ... The one car was picked up fromVA on 18th April and delivered on 10th May only driven Only a mile between the pick of date and drop off date and a tie rod is broken????...Canadian tire said you can pay us to fix it or we can fail the car...so my advise to anyone bringing in a car to Canada be ready to be bent over!!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Sunset0505 said:
Yeah we had both our names on the cars... I did not have to sign the title ... They agreed that because I left Canada without a car and I am returning with one that it was my hubby the settlers cars...the problem we are having now is we were told that once you get your cars across that Canadian Tire was going to hit you up for $1000 bucks.. We made sure we had all our ducks in a row before we left VA and including ALL recalls and inspection before we left ... The one car was picked up fromVA on 18th April and delivered on 10th May only driven Only a mile between the pick of date and drop off date and a tie rod is broken????...Canadian tire said you can pay us to fix it or we can fail the car...so my advise to anyone bringing in a car to Canada be ready to be bent over!!
i would recommend finding a second opinion on what needs to be fixed before you try again with canadian tire (or see if there is another location near you that can do the import inspection). i can tell you from my experience they don't "hit you up for $1000" to import your car. it cost me all of $150 to get the daytime running lights installed, plus $15 for a broken headlight for a 2006 car. if something major is wrong, of course they are going to charge a lot... that's what they are known for. they shouldn't be collecting any import fees at canadian tire, it goes to the RIV. The only fees they can charge you are for provincial inspections and what ever needs to be fixed to pass inspection. in my experience the whole import process was relatively cheap.

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
CDNPR2014 said:
i would recommend finding a second opinion on what needs to be fixed before you try again with canadian tire (or see if there is another location near you that can do the import inspection). i can tell you from my experience they don't "hit you up for $1000" to import your car. it cost me all of $150 to get the daytime running lights installed, plus $15 for a broken headlight for a 2006 car. if something major is wrong, of course they are going to charge a lot... that's what they are known for. they shouldn't be collecting any import fees at canadian tire, it goes to the RIV. The only fees they can charge you are for provincial inspections and what ever needs to be fixed to pass inspection. in my experience the whole import process was relatively cheap.
We have spent the last two days getting second opinions... Around here Canadian Tire is the only one doing the RIV inspection... We even took the car to the dealership and they would not do the BC inspection until the RIV was completed...so angry.. I even asked the mechanic who was lying him or the VA mechanic and he said you don't have to have the car worked on ... See that's the problem we do

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Sunset0505 said:
We have spent the last two days getting second opinions... Around here Canadian Tire is the only one doing the RIV inspection... We even took the car to the dealership and they would not do the BC inspection until the RIV was completed...so angry.. I even asked the mechanic who was lying him or the VA mechanic and he said you don't have to have the car worked on ... See that's the problem we do
can you get it in writing from the dealer that it's not a mandatory repair? i'm wondering if you call RIV (who has VERY helpful agents) and tell them the issue, maybe they can help. i can't imagine they would like to know their registered mechanics are trying to scam people. unfortunately CT seems to be the only registered mechanic. sorry you're having such an issue! maybe see if the guy you were dealing with ever has a day off and go then! i know the timeline is stressful. just know it will get done!

mruhomau

May 11, 2016
Thank you Decoy24601. That was really helpful

Posted by: Decoy24601

Insert Quote
Quote from: mruhomau on May 11, 2016, 07:49:06 pm
Hi guys,

My wife is currently with me here in Canada for a few weeks as a visitor. I have started looking at the outland family class sponsorship application and I see that one of the requirements that she will need to do a medical test from a panel physician. My question is : Does the physician has to be from USA or can she do it here while she is in Canada to one of the approved physicians ? Looking forward for a response Smiley

thanks !
She can do it in Canada and it's generally a lot cheaper to do so. Mine cost about $220 CAD and I would have paid $450 USD. Depending on where she lives in the US, there could also be longer wait times. It would have taken me 3 months to get an appointment with the only panel physician in the state I lived in, while here I got in after 2 weeks.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
mruhomau said:
Thank you Decoy24601. That was really helpful

Posted by: Decoy24601

Insert Quote
Quote from: mruhomau on May 11, 2016, 07:49:06 pm
Hi guys,

My wife is currently with me here in Canada for a few weeks as a visitor. I have started looking at the outland family class sponsorship application and I see that one of the requirements that she will need to do a medical test from a panel physician. My question is : Does the physician has to be from USA or can she do it here while she is in Canada to one of the approved physicians ? Looking forward for a response Smiley

thanks !
She can do it in Canada and it's generally a lot cheaper to do so. Mine cost about $220 CAD and I would have paid $450 USD. Depending on where she lives in the US, there could also be longer wait times. It would have taken me 3 months to get an appointment with the only panel physician in the state I lived in, while here I got in after 2 weeks.
No problem ;D.

mruhomau

May 11, 2016
I have one more question. One of the requirements is to get a police clearance. Can my spouse do it here in Canada or does she need to do it from the US ?

thanks !

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
mruhomau said:
I have one more question. One of the requirements is to get a police clearance. Can my spouse do it here in Canada or does she need to do it from the US ?

thanks !
She can apply from Canada. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp The CIC is accepting FBI background checks from 3rd party channelers now, so you won't be looking at the 13-15 week wait that people used to.

I'm not 100% sure, but if she re-enters the US after the background check is issued and before it's sent to the CIC, then it's rendered invalid.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Decoy24601 said:
She can apply from Canada. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp The CIC is accepting FBI background checks from 3rd party channelers now, so you won't be looking at the 13-15 week wait that people used to.

I'm not 100% sure, but if she re-enters the US after the background check is issued and before it's sent to the CIC, then it's rendered invalid.
i can't imagine how that would be possible. the police clearance has the information based on the day the FBI application is processed and is valid for a specific amount of time per CIC.I have not see any language that suggests the clearance becomes invalid if you go back to your home country before you send in your application. perhaps that's true for a country where the person needs permission to enter or work? if what you are saying is true, that would mean every police clearance someone submits from their home country becomes invalid after it's submitted with the application and they travel to and from canada? we know that's not the case because many people do this and are not asked for new police clearances from their home country because they left and came back. I for one got my police clearance, traveled to and from canada multiple times before and after it was submitted, and never had an issue with it. If CIC wants a more up to date clearance, they will ask for it, but generally they do this because the original was expired, not because of the applicant's travel habits (unless it's a new country they are in for 6mo or more).

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
CDNPR2014 said:
can you get it in writing from the dealer that it's not a mandatory repair? i'm wondering if you call RIV (who has VERY helpful agents) and tell them the issue, maybe they can help. i can't imagine they would like to know their registered mechanics are trying to scam people. unfortunately CT seems to be the only registered mechanic. sorry you're having such an issue! maybe see if the guy you were dealing with ever has a day off and go then! i know the timeline is stressful. just know it will get done!
The dealer would not touch the cars because they only do BC inspections that is how we ended up at Canadian Tire...Note we had all the recalls done before we left the US....we had the Charger reprogrammed to Canada before we left so the day time running lights would be on all the time....We did not reprogram the 4Runner cause it has day time running lights (Cost $400 to get the lights switched to on all the time at Canadian Tire)..We had the State inspections done before we left...I recommend to anyone that if your car is worth less then $10k and there is a lien....sell it before you get to Canada...We have now been told by the insurance company to plan on two hour appointment per car..they have to run the VINS( like The USA customs and Canada customs did do that)..the have to inspect them ( like CT didn't charge us $1k to do that)...it really is a huge scam...everyone knows that these are the steps that have to be taken to insure the cars in Canada and they have their hands open..the thing that bothers me the most is they say ok take your car with a fail...they don't care..we are going to have the the most perfect cars before we are done!

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
Decoy24601 said:

It is not rendered invalid for any reason. It is good for one year.