21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Sunset0505 said:
The dealer would not touch the cars because they only do BC inspections that is how we ended up at Canadian Tire...Note we had all the recalls done before we left the US....we had the Charger reprogrammed to Canada before we left so the day time running lights would be on all the time....We did not reprogram the 4Runner cause it has day time running lights (Cost $400 to get the lights switched to on all the time at Canadian Tire)..We had the State inspections done before we left...I recommend to anyone that if your car is worth less then $10k and there is a lien....sell it before you get to Canada...We have now been told by the insurance company to plan on two hour appointment per car..they have to run the VINS( like The USA customs and Canada customs did do that)..the have to inspect them ( like CT didn't charge us $1k to do that)...it really is a huge scam...everyone knows that these are the steps that have to be taken to insure the cars in Canada and they have their hands open..the thing that bothers me the most is they say ok take your car with a fail...they don't care..we are going to have the the most perfect cars before we are done!
You're Canadian Tire is ripping you off, you need to speak up about it. When I imported my car, in 2013, it was then 13 years old. 2000 Celica. I made the appointment with my local Canadian Tire to have the initial inspection done. They guy came out, had me start the car, looked at the tires, checked my blinkers, brake lights and peeked under the hood and in the trunk. Gave me my signed paperwork, wished me a good day and I was off to be e-tested (per Ontario laws).

Call someone because they are trying to take you for a ride.

CehNehDeh

Mar 27, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2016
Doc's Request.
March 1-additional medical test
Nomination.....
SA: 13-05-2016
AOR Received.
21-04-2016
File Transfer...
06-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront February 2016
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 15-05-2016
Just got DM! Hope it's the a positive DM haha!

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
Alurra71 said:
You're Canadian Tire is ripping you off, you need to speak up about it. When I imported my car, in 2013, it was then 13 years old. 2000 Celica. I made the appointment with my local Canadian Tire to have the initial inspection done. They guy came out, had me start the car, looked at the tires, checked my blinkers, brake lights and peeked under the hood and in the trunk. Gave me my signed paperwork, wished me a good day and I was off to be e-tested (per Ontario laws).

I will call Canadian Tire Head office..they are the only ones that do RIV inspection here..they also do the Provincial ones...thing is they said right out that we could take they cars but they were going to mark them as Failed...we also found this.http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-vehicle-inspection-system-a-farce-says-industry-critic-1.2426135

Its a scam here...

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Alurra71 said:
yes, i agree. definitely call RIV. this doesn't seem normal. and the insurance thing? I did not have to deal with that in Ontario. perhaps it's BC specific or because of a lein?

nmclean

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
Doc's Request.
28-01-2016
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-06-2016
Sunset0505 said:
I will call Canadian Tire Head office..they are the only ones that do RIV inspection here..they also do the Provincial ones...thing is they said right out that we could take they cars but they were going to mark them as Failed...we also found this.http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-vehicle-inspection-system-a-farce-says-industry-critic-1.2426135

Its a scam here...
First of all there is no rule that modifications or repairs must be done by the inspection center, so Canadian Tire has no right to hold you hostage... you can have it fixed somewhere else and take it back for inspection.

If they won't play nice, it might be worth a trip to a better inspection center. If you check different cities, there are some options other than Canadian Tire in BC according to the RIV search: http://www.riv.ca/rivinspection.aspx

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
nmclean said:
First of all there is no rule that modifications or repairs must be done by the inspection center, so Canadian Tire has no right to hold you hostage... you can have it fixed somewhere else and take it back for inspection.

If they won't play nice, it might be worth a trip to a better inspection center. If you check different cities, there are some options other than Canadian Tire in BC according to the RIV search: http://www.riv.ca/rivinspection.aspx
i think the main issue is that most dealers don't understand the whole daytime running light thing. i had this problem myself when i tried to go to the dealer myself before getting inspected. they seem to refer people back to canadian tire since they are the ones registered for RIV. I know it's odd, but seems to be the way it is for importing...

I agree trying to find an inspection place outside of the one being used is worth a try too.

nmclean

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
Doc's Request.
28-01-2016
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-06-2016
CDNPR2014 said:
i think the main issue is that most dealers don't understand the whole daytime running light thing. i had this problem myself when i tried to go to the dealer myself before getting inspected. they seem to refer people back to canadian tire since they are the ones registered for RIV. I know it's odd, but seems to be the way it is for importing...

I agree trying to find an inspection place outside of the one being used is worth a try too.
Apparently in this case the modifications (running lights) were already taken care of, but Canadian Tire wants to fail it because of a broken tie rod. In fact I don't think they can even fail the RIV inspection based on that, since it doesn't fall under anything on the RIV inspection checklist. Any other safety issues should be covered later by the provincial inspection.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
nmclean said:
Apparently in this case the modifications (running lights) were already taken care of, but Canadian Tire wants to fail it because of a broken tie rod. In fact I don't think they can even fail the RIV inspection based on that, since it doesn't fall under anything on the RIV inspection checklist. Any other safety issues should be covered later by the provincial inspection.
yeah, i totally agree they shouldn't have to get extra work done just to pass the RIV inspection, if it's not on the checklist document provided by RIV. that's why i think it's necessary to call RIV and make sure this is the case or at least report it. the agents at RIV are very knowledgeable and helpful (a world of difference from dealing with CIC), so I would imagine they will have some advice about it.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Sunset0505 said:
Yeah we had both our names on the cars... I did not have to sign the title ... They agreed that because I left Canada without a car and I am returning with one that it was my hubby the settlers cars...the problem we are having now is we were told that once you get your cars across that Canadian Tire was going to hit you up for $1000 bucks.. We made sure we had all our ducks in a row before we left VA and including ALL recalls and inspection before we left ... The one car was picked up fromVA on 18th April and delivered on 10th May only driven Only a mile between the pick of date and drop off date and a tie rod is broken????...Canadian tire said you can pay us to fix it or we can fail the car...so my advise to anyone bringing in a car to Canada be ready to be bent over!!
You DEFINITELY got scammed. While I think they are right to fail the car for a safety issue(I think it has to pass Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations), if you did fail you can take your car and just pay for another inspection at worst. When I imported a car it failed the RIV inspection too, and I just took it home, fixed the issue and brought it back later. They only charged us for the one inspection. They basically extorted you.
For the record the guy didn't check anything to do with the mechanicals. Ours only failed because of a convoluted issue regarding the door sticker.

What effing a*holes. I'd charge back my credit card.

mruhomau

May 11, 2016
thank you Decoy24601 and CDNPR2014 for taking the time to respond and giving your inputs. Baiscally im looking for the fastest way for my wife to become eligible to work in canada. She got a job and if she applies for a work permit, the employer has tom do LMIA.

scenario 1 : apply for the outland PR and wait for it to process. hopefully it wont take too long ( more than 3-5 months )

scenario 2 : apply for inland PR ( which can take up to 2 years from what I read ) and apply for an open work permit which does not require LMIA once the inland PR is submitted.

does anyone has any suggestions ?

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
mruhomau said:
thank you Decoy24601 and CDNPR2014 for taking the time to respond and giving your inputs. Baiscally im looking for the fastest way for my wife to become eligible to work in canada. She got a job and if she applies for a work permit, the employer has tom do LMIA.

scenario 1 : apply for the outland PR and wait for it to process. hopefully it wont take too long ( more than 3-5 months )

scenario 2 : apply for inland PR ( which can take up to 2 years from what I read ) and apply for an open work permit which does not require LMIA once the inland PR is submitted.

does anyone has any suggestions ?
The OWP for the inland application takes around 4-5 months to obtain. A lot of outland American PR applications are being processed through Ottawa and in around 2-4 months right now. It's much much better for Americans to apply outland than inland. Even if outland ended up taking 1 month longer than the OWP, would that really be worth the 2 years with inland?

mruhomau

May 11, 2016
I agree. I will go over through the outland application. I think I should be comfortable through most of it except for a couple of areas. Once I go through the whole thing, I will post some of my questions here for things that I am not 100% sure. It would be greatly appreciated if you can take a look at them since you already went through the process

thank you so much in advance for your help and time

CehNehDeh

Mar 27, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2016
Doc's Request.
March 1-additional medical test
Nomination.....
SA: 13-05-2016
AOR Received.
21-04-2016
File Transfer...
06-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront February 2016
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 15-05-2016

tsayde15

Dec 2, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2016
File Transfer...
06-05-2016
Med's Done....
24-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2016 Decision made
LANDED..........
14-08-2016 kingsgate BC
CehNehDeh said:
Just got DM! Hope it's the a positive DM haha!

I'm not sure if Im looking at the dates wrong or something but did your entire application process super fast? Congratulations :)