Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
nmclean said:
Yes, but CBSA is responsible for enforcing decisions made by CIC. We are talking about someone with a valid visa that specifically allows them to re-enter Canada from the US. CBSA does not simply ignore this and make their own rules. They would need to issue a removal order to invalidate the visa, which is much more serious than simply turning someone away who requests to visit.

No it is not suspicious. At this point CIC has already approved, twice, 3 visas authorizing entry, as well as explicitly authorizing her two children to study in Canada (the children alone should be proof enough of residential ties). Once the officer saw this documentation, there shouldn't even have been further questioning. It's possible that there is something more to this story we don't know that would be legitimately suspicious, but it is also quite possible that the officer was simply jumping the gun.
i think your dates are off. i don't think she had been approved 3 times nor i'm not sure her children were in school at the time of her last entry in January 2015? it is now june 2016, so wouldn't the 3 extension have been granted AFTER that entry? How many times were the extensions granted BEFORE that date? to me, it's sounding like you are taking her situation NOW and trying it apply it to January 2015. her situation is not the same it was then, so CBSA's evaluation would be different. perhaps my dates and understandinge are off, but i don't see mention in this conversation that her kids started school in canada prior to january 2015. anywho, it's a moot point, since the OP is not bothering with the border at this point in the game and this conversation has nothing to do with her actual problem. i guess we will have to agree to disagree on CBSA entries.

nmclean

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
Doc's Request.
28-01-2016
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-06-2016
CDNPR2014 said:
i think your dates are off. i don't think she had been approved 3 times nor i'm not sure her children were in school at the time of her last entry in January 2015? it is now june 2016, so wouldn't the 3 extension have been granted AFTER that entry? How many times were the extensions granted BEFORE that date? to me, it's sounding like you are taking her situation NOW and trying it apply it to January 2015. her situation is not the same it was then, so CBSA's evaluation would be different. perhaps my dates and understandinge are off, but i don't see mention in this conversation that her kids started school in canada prior to january 2015. anywho, it's a moot point, since the OP is not bothering with the border at this point in the game, and her children have the right to go to school here. i guess we will have to agree to disagree on CBSA entries.
I said "twice, 3 visas", referring to 3 family members who each had a visa, which would have been approved twice (initial and one extension) by that time. How many visas there were or how many times it was approved is beside the point, however. It is NOT "very common" as you say to threaten to invalidate a legitimate non-expired visa just because someone is unmarried. I think you might be jaded after your own experiences with CBSA, but to be honest I think there is already too much unjustified fear of them on this forum and I don't think it's helpful to suggest this kind of thing is the norm.

Lanegirl

Jun 3, 2016
I applied for my outland application in September and received notice they started processing in December. My sponsor was approved right away. Got an email in February requesting additional documents along with passport photos which where sent March 11 and now have not heard a thing. My online eCAS doesn't acknowledge receipt of the documents but I have mail confirmation. Our application was submitted to Mississauga but the additional documents where requested to be sent to Ottawa. Does this mean our VO is Ottawa? After reading so many people are getting their DMs in a matter of months, I am a bit worried. My spouse is Canadian and I am in the US. I know realistically it has only been 6 months but don't know what is taking so long after requesting the additional documents. One was my FBI background check, divorce decree and proof of continued relationship. :(

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
Lanegirl said:
I applied for my outland application in September and received notice they started processing in December. My sponsor was approved right away. Got an email in February requesting additional documents along with passport photos which where sent March 11 and now have not heard a thing. My online eCAS doesn't acknowledge receipt of the documents but I have mail confirmation. Our application was submitted to Mississauga but the additional documents where requested to be sent to Ottawa. Does this mean our VO is Ottawa? After reading so many people are getting their DMs in a matter of months, I am a bit worried. My spouse is Canadian and I am in the US. I know realistically it has only been 6 months but don't know what is taking so long after requesting the additional documents. One was my FBI background check, divorce decree and proof of continued relationship. :(
Yes, it means your VO is Ottawa. I wouldn't worry too much yet. Significant delays aren't uncommon with multiple document requests, especially when they're spaced out. Normally, when they have to request documents they put the application back in the queue to be processed, which creates the delay. At the time this happened for you I'm fairly sure that Ottawa still had a significant backlog. The people who have recently received DM probably applied after most of the backlog had already been cleared. At the time you applied 6 months was completely normal. Also, eCAS is often inaccurate. You should order GCMS notes.

Ottawa has only sped up in processing since around February/March.

ktorva

Star Member
Nov 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 Mar 2016
Doc's Request.
27 Apr 2016
AOR Received.
08 Apr 2016
File Transfer...
21 Apr 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07 Mar 2016
Interview........
DM 04 June 2016
Woke up to Decision Made this morning!!

Surprised - on a Saturday? I check every day, so it actually did get updated last night. Don't believe that it is only updated on Tuesday ;)

My husband's Sponsor application status still says in progress - and he never got an email or letter. He called about it yesterday and they told him not to worry about the letter, he doesn't really need it. Just for everyone else to know...

Our timeline -
App received 3/15/2016
SA 4/21/2016
AOR 2 & Doc Request (FBI Clearance) 4/27/2016
Submitted FBI clearance 5/21/2016
DM 6/4/2016

I never in a million years thought it would go this quick! I won't be moving until the end of this year beginning of next. LOL :p But I'm glad to have this portion behind us!

Lanegirl

Jun 3, 2016
Decoy24601 said:
Yes, it means your VO is Ottawa. I wouldn't worry too much yet. Significant delays aren't uncommon with multiple document requests, especially when they're spaced out. Normally, when they have to request documents they put the application back in the queue to be processed, which creates the delay. At the time this happened for you I'm fairly sure that Ottawa still had a significant backlog. The people who have recently received DM probably applied after most of the backlog had already been cleared. At the time you applied 6 months was completely normal. Also, eCAS is often inaccurate. You should order GCMS notes.

Ottawa has only sped up in processing since around February/March.
Well I emailed them for a status and am glad I did. I don't seem to be getting any of their inquiries via email or mail. It appears they are waiting for my RPRF payment :) which that appears to be good news!
So will pay that ASAP and hope to hear soon. ;D

xxfsbrianxx

Jun 8, 2016
Hi All,

I know this is a stupid question, but my head is spinning and I just want to make sure I send the application to the correct address. I'm sponsoring my American wife and living here within Canada, but applying outland. What is the correct address to mail the application? Is the courier address in Mississauga the correct place to send it if using FedEx or Purolator?

I've spent hours upon hours getting this ready.. would be awful to send to the wrong address!!

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
xxfsbrianxx said:
Hi All,

I know this is a stupid question, but my head is spinning and I just want to make sure I send the application to the correct address. I'm sponsoring my American wife and living here within Canada, but applying outland. What is the correct address to mail the application? Is the courier address in Mississauga the correct place to send it if using FedEx or Purolator?

I've spent hours upon hours getting this ready.. would be awful to send to the wrong address!!

Thanks in advance,
Brian
The courier address is indeed the correct address to send the application via FedEx or Purolator. If you're using Canada Post, use the P.O. Box.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
I just logged into my eCAS to see I have "Decision Made" on the PA side! 2 months and 2 days since I submitted the PR application.

setec-astronomy

Star Member
Apr 11, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2016
AOR Received.
14-04-2016 (AOR1)
File Transfer...
26-04-2016 (AOR2)
Med's Done....
11-03-2016 (Upfront)
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2016
julies879 said:
Things are still up in the air so it might not be an issue at all.

How would it work with importing goods down the road? If I filled out a goods to follow form, would it still be valid even if my COPR expiration date has passed?
So, my partner landed this past weekend and we were quite clear that we were not intending to settle in Canada at this time, but needed to land so we could start setting up bank accounts, etc., etc., in preparation for moving up in the future (not the distant future, but not immediately.) We were very clear with them, and they just wanted to make sure we understood, that my partner was landing, but not entering as a settler. At some point in the future, my partner will enter Canada as a settler, and declare goods at that time.

It's more common for people to enter as a settler up-front with a long list of goods, which can accompany them at any time (CBSA confirmed this to us, although at least in BC, ICBC requires cars to enter Canada within one year of being declared.) But you do not have to enter as a settler when landing. It's just more to explain to them, and something you have to be able to be clear about.

Personally, I can't see a lot of benefit other than procedurally (i.e. it's what they're used to, which means it's easier, and doesn't make them look for other problems) to settling at the same time as you land if you're not immediately moving to Canada. Putting the list of goods together as part of moving makes a lot more sense, and then you still get all the benefits of having goods follow you whenever you want, but you don't take your one-time exemption prematurely.

CBSA really had no problem with it, they just wanted to make sure we understood all of the implications. They were helpful about it, not adversarial. Your mileage may vary, but this being the US thread, there's a shared presumption of legitimacy that we have that you may hear different experiences about elsewhere in the forum.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
setec-astronomy said:
So, my partner landed this past weekend and we were quite clear that we were not intending to settle in Canada at this time, but needed to land so we could start setting up bank accounts, etc., etc., in preparation for moving up in the future (not the distant future, but not immediately.) We were very clear with them, and they just wanted to make sure we understood, that my partner was landing, but not entering as a settler. At some point in the future, my partner will enter Canada as a settler, and declare goods at that time.

It's more common for people to enter as a settler up-front with a long list of goods, which can accompany them at any time (CBSA confirmed this to us, although at least in BC, ICBC requires cars to enter Canada within one year of being declared.) But you do not have to enter as a settler when landing. It's just more to explain to them, and something you have to be able to be clear about.

Personally, I can't see a lot of benefit other than procedurally (i.e. it's what they're used to, which means it's easier, and doesn't make them look for other problems) to settling at the same time as you land if you're not immediately moving to Canada. Putting the list of goods together as part of moving makes a lot more sense, and then you still get all the benefits of having goods follow you whenever you want, but you don't take your one-time exemption prematurely.

CBSA really had no problem with it, they just wanted to make sure we understood all of the implications. They were helpful about it, not adversarial. Your mileage may vary, but this being the US thread, there's a shared presumption of legitimacy that we have that you may hear different experiences about elsewhere in the forum.
this is great information. thanks for sharing. it's been assumed you have to do everything at once, and that CBSA can and may refuse to land someone if they share their intentions of not settling right away (there's always a couple of scary stories shared about this). I would highly recommend sharing this in a new thread or a landing thread (if you can find a recent one) on the main board. This will be helpful for many people who have applications at other visa offices.

Canusa2016

Mar 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2016
AOR Received.
08-06-2016
File Transfer...
SA approval 27-07-2016, started processing 29-07-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
12-08-2016
Have any May w US spouse applicants received SA yet?

EKate20132015

Star Member
May 5, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-06-2016
AOR Received.
19-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
30-04-2016 Upfront
Passport Req..
Exempt...DM 06-10-2016
Canusa2016 said:
Have any May w US spouse applicants received SA yet?
I haven't even gotten AOR1 yet, and they record my application on May 20th. And as far as I know, no May applicants have received SA yet.

Waitingrk2015

Jun 9, 2016
What ism this AOR?
My husband is a student in USA
I sponsor him last year
Here is my time line
We received your application for permanent residence on July 31, 2015.
We started processing your application on October 1, 2015.
Medical results have been received.
We sent you correspondence on January 27, 2016. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
Documents was send
Now waiting ....
What's next guys
Please help !
Thxs

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Waitingrk2015 said:
What ism this AOR?
My husband is a student in USA
I sponsor him last year
Here is my time line
We received your application for permanent residence on July 31, 2015.
We started processing your application on October 1, 2015.
Medical results have been received.
We sent you correspondence on January 27, 2016. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
Documents was send
Now waiting ....
What's next guys
Please help !
Thxs
well it depends on what documents were requested and when the due date was for those documents.