09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
chach said:
Hey guys. My husband is out of status in the USA and is a Philippines citizen. He qualifies for R-11 and we selected Los Angeles as the processing Visa Office. I just received sponsorship approval via CPP-O, but they forwarded my application to MANILA. Any idea why they forwarded it to Manila and not to the Los Angeles Visa Office?
Being out of status is not necessarily the reason why his application was sent to Manila. Being in the US (or any other country) does not guarantee processing in the VO for that country unless the applicant can prove that he/she entered that country legally and with permission to remain in that country for at least ONE full year (please note that this does not mean having been in the foreign country for one year already by the time you apply; it means that at the time of entry the permission that the application was given to remain in that country was equivalent to one year or longer). This is not fulfilled by people entering as a tourist because, at best, they are given 6 months (in the case of the US). The ONE full year may be, for example, fulfilled by having had a work visa that was valid for one year or more at the time of first use (that is, the first time that person used the visa to enter the country). In some cases, CIC will use the length of time remaining on the visa at the time of last entry to determine the ONE full year requirement. I tend to believe that under certain circumstances, even when the ONE full year may seem fulfilled, suspicions on the part of CIC regarding the applicants intent to circumvent their country's VO timelines by overstaying in another country to obtain the benefit of a faster VO may cause the application to be sent to the VO that handles the applicant's citizenship (how long has it been between losing his status and filing his application? I am just curious). In any case, if a person enters as a tourist or under any other type of visa that does not allow a permission to remain for at least ONE year then it does not matter if the person is in status or out of status by the time he/she applies - the application would be sent to the country of his citizenship.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mushmash said:
Hey everyone,

1. We received your application for permanent residence on December 3rd 2012.
2. Medical results received
3. We started processing your application on December 17th 2013.
4. Interview scheduled for December 16th 2013.

I am from a visa exempt country and I attended the interview, the officer also said I passed the interview. It's been over a month and my status still says "in process". What does all this mean? When can I expect to hear something? Thank you.
The interview is usually to assess the relationship (though sometimes it is also to confirm the genuiness of documenets presented for program integrity purposes). Either way, by 'passing the interview' that step would be completed. However, before CIC can issue the CoPR all other steps need to be completed too (e.g. security, background check, medical results received and valid). Unless the officer told you, the only way to know what may be missing is to order your GCMS notes.

Good luck!

Mushmash

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2012
Interview........
10-12-2013
Passport Req..
25-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2014
Ok thank you. The officer said that my medical is expired and they would try to get an extension. I ordered GCMS notes prior to the interview and it said that the background or medical we're not not started. I just hope that doing a background check doesn't take too much longer. Funny thing is that the officer told me I'll hear something in 2-3weeks so the fact it's taking so long is rather nerve racking.

OhCanadiana said:
The interview is usually to assess the relationship (though sometimes it is also to confirm the genuiness of documenets presented for program integrity purposes). Either way, by 'passing the interview' that step would be completed. However, before CIC can issue the CoPR all other steps need to be completed too (e.g. security, background check, medical results received and valid). Unless the officer told you, the only way to know what may be missing is to order your GCMS notes.

Good luck!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mushmash said:
Ok thank you. The officer said that my medical is expired and they would try to get an extension. I ordered GCMS notes prior to the interview and it said that the background or medical we're not not started. I just hope that doing a background check doesn't take too much longer. Funny thing is that the officer told me I'll hear something in 2-3weeks so the fact it's taking so long is rather nerve racking.
If you completed your medical within 15 months, in all likelihood you'll be able to get an extension for a year.

Since it's been a month, reply to an e-mail you received from CPP-O (e.g., interview request) and ask if they have an update or if there's anything you can do since it's been longer than the 2-3 weeks they had mentioned. Replying to an e-mail sent by a VO at CPP-O will auto-direct it back to the VO so you should get an answer much faster than by starting a new enquiry. =)

Mushmash

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2012
Interview........
10-12-2013
Passport Req..
25-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2014
OhCanadiana said:
If you completed your medical within 15 months, in all likelihood you'll be able to get an extension for a year.

Since it's been a month, reply to an e-mail you received from CPP-O (e.g., interview request) and ask if they have an update or if there's anything you can do since it's been longer than the 2-3 weeks they had mentioned. Replying to an e-mail sent by a VO at CPP-O will auto-direct it back to the VO so you should get an answer much faster than by starting a new enquiry. =)
Thank you for your help, but does replying it the US office that I did the interview at work as well?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mushmash said:
Thank you for your help, but does replying it the US office that I did the interview at work as well?
They will receive the note if you reply to the latest e-mail you received. It doesn't seem to redirect emails to the VOs in all offices, so don't worry if it takes a few days before you hear back or if someone else replies.

Mushmash

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2012
Interview........
10-12-2013
Passport Req..
25-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2014
OhCanadiana said:
They will receive the note if you reply to the latest e-mail you received. It doesn't seem to redirect emails to the VOs in all offices, so don't worry if it takes a few days before you hear back or if someone else replies.
Ok that's perfect. Thank you

cute

Star Member
Mar 8, 2008
Hi All,
I have couple of questions about spouse sponsorship, please clarify....

I am currently working in Canada ( PR holder, applied citizenship). I am planning to get married in March 2014 (India). My Fiance is working in USA on H1B.

My Questions:

1.I want to apply Her TRV before wedding and after wedding want to launch her PR application. So what are the chances for her to get TRV from India?
2. where does her PR application processed ? USA ( buffalo/LA) or India?
3. What are the time lines for Spouse sponsorship at Buffalo/LA office?

Thanks in advance!!!!
ram.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
cute said:
1.I want to apply Her TRV before wedding and after wedding want to launch her PR application. So what are the chances for her to get TRV from India?
Why wouldn't you apply from the US? The US offices are likely to be more relaxed about granting a TRV than India.

Regardless, the actual criteria are the same: showing she has substantial ties outside Canada - work, family, housing, etc. In addition, she would need to show financial support while she is in Canada, but someone working in the US is unlikely to raise significant concerns in that regard.

cute said:
2. where does her PR application processed ? USA ( buffalo/LA) or India?
She will have a choice of New Delhi (via her Indian citizenship) or Ottawa (via her residence in the US for 1+ year). Ottawa may choose to forward her application to NYC or LA, but this is normally only done for applications that require special processing - those requiring an interview, involving criminality or needing an ARC, etc. That's a key reason the NYC/LA processing times are substantially longer than Ottawa - the applications they are called upon to process are more complex.

The Buffalo office was closed in May 2012. All its functions were transferred to CPP-O.

cute said:
3. What are the time lines for Spouse sponsorship at Buffalo/LA office?
For Ottawa the latest times are:

20% of applications are done in 6 months
30% of applications are done in 7 months
50% of applications are done in 9 months
70% of applications are done in 11 months
80% of applications are done in 14 months

While not applicable to your case (because you haven't indicated special circumstances) the times for LA are:

20% of applications in 8 months
30% of applications in 9 months
50% of applications in 12 months
70% of applications in 17 months
80% of applications in 22 months

For New Delhi the times are:

20% of applications in 5 months
30% of applications in 6 months
50% of applications in 7 months
70% of applications in 9 months
80% of applications in 11 months

Note: these times are from the Open Data Project data set for immigration and I used the "Spouse/Partner" category (so not including children). This time is not directly reported on the CIC website (they use the spouse/partner/children times on the website and only report 80%).

squishypenguin

Dec 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
18-10-2013
AOR Received.
15-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
23-08-2013
LANDED..........
23-06-2014
Hey all,

So it's tax season...and our first year doing it after getting married in May 2013.

I am Canadian and my husband is American and we didn't realize that it would be that different. Are there any good threads or step by step instructions for what we each have to do to file? (eg. when we tried on Turbotax it wouldn't let him enter "NRA" for a SSN for me. Should we enter my Canadian SIN?) We are currently also in the process of PR for him to come to Canada.

I haven't even begun to start on mine yet so wondering if there are some time dependent things I have to do now to get the return in on time?

Thanks so much! (We are also in our early 20's out of college so relatively new at the complexities of tax on actual income rather than student loans etc. Would really appreciate simplicity)

squishypenguin

Dec 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
18-10-2013
AOR Received.
15-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
23-08-2013
LANDED..........
23-06-2014
I forgot to mention, I live in Canada and he lives in the US and neither of us have ever lived in the other country.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
squishypenguin said:
So it's tax season...and our first year doing it after getting married in May 2013.

I am Canadian and my husband is American and we didn't realize that it would be that different. Are there any good threads or step by step instructions for what we each have to do to file? (eg. when we tried on Turbotax it wouldn't let him enter "NRA" for a SSN for me. Should we enter my Canadian SIN?) We are currently also in the process of PR for him to come to Canada.
If he is going to file married/joint, then you must obtain an ITIN. http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Individual-Taxpayer-Identification-Number-(ITIN). If he is going to file married/separate, then you don't need an ITIN but his tax is different. You may wish to compute the values both ways and see if it makes a difference (he has to include YOUR income if you file jointly and then get a foreign tax credit for the tax you paid to Canada).

squishypenguin said:
I haven't even begun to start on mine yet so wondering if there are some time dependent things I have to do now to get the return in on time?
Canada seems to be more relaxed. There is no joint filing, so you are just supposed to report his name, SIN (but he doesn't have one so people usually enter zeros here but he can obtain an ITN from CRA if you want), and worldwide income amount.

Kasbal

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/03/2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014 SA (14-05-2014)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28/02/2014
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am a PR holder and I am sponsoring my husband who is a green card holder. I will mail the application in two weeks because I am still waiting for the police clearance and the IMM 1017 form from the doctor.

While reading most of the post from this thread....I noticed that the interview was waived for many people. My question is...what is the criteria/ requirement to get an interview waived?

Also, how long did the overall process take?

Please help me,

Thanks

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kasbal said:
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am a PR holder and I am sponsoring my husband who is a green card holder. I will mail the application in two weeks because I am still waiting for the police clearance and the IMM 1017 form from the doctor.

While reading most of the post from this thread....I noticed that the interview was waived for many people. My question is...what is the criteria/ requirement to get an interview waived?

Also, how long did the overall process take?

Please help me,

Thanks
Hello, and welcome!

The interview is usually requested when CIC has questions about the genuineness of the relationship (e.g., due to unusual circumstances, not including sufficient evidence for a stranger who doesn't know you to understand the development of your relationship).

CPP-O is generally taking 8-10 months for American citizens. Keep in mind that CIC will need to do a background check for your husband from his country of origin also (assuming he's lived there since he turned 18) so depending on what country that is it may take a bit longer. For the ranges, take a look at computergeek's post above.

Kasbal

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/03/2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014 SA (14-05-2014)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28/02/2014
OhCanadiana said:
Hello, and welcome!

The interview is usually requested when CIC has questions about the genuineness of the relationship (e.g., due to unusual circumstances, not including sufficient evidence for a stranger who doesn't know you to understand the development of your relationship).

CPP-O is generally taking 8-10 months for American citizens. Keep in mind that CIC will need to do a background check for your husband from his country of origin also (assuming he's lived there since he turned 18) so depending on what country that is it may take a bit longer. For the ranges, take a look at computergeek's post above.
Thank you this was helpful