File Transfer...
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2014; COPR received 27-06-2014
LANDED..........
30-07-2014
Hi there, quick question. I'm sponsoring my American husband (he is a citizen) and I'm wondering about the PPR. Isn't the states a visa exempt country and thus doesn't need a PPR?

GeeO

Star Member
Aug 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ott -> Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2012
File Transfer...
11-10-2012
Med's Request
27-01-2014
Med's Done....
14-07-2012
Interview........
07-01-2014
Passport Req..
22-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2014
LANDED..........
29-03-2014
Zarilenth said:
Hi there, quick question. I'm sponsoring my American husband (he is a citizen) and I'm wondering about the PPR. Isn't the states a visa exempt country and thus doesn't need a PPR?
No from what I understand they will not ask for his passport. Though i live and work in the states, originally I am not from here (from Nigeria) so that is why.

Mushmash

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2012
Interview........
10-12-2013
Passport Req..
25-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2014
GeeO said:
Hey! So yesterday I finally got an email saying that "You are required to submit by MAIL: a copy of this letter, your passport(s), photographs and completed height/eye color chart, your current mailing address (if different from the one shown above) within the next THIRTY (30) days from the date of this letter. ..."

First of all this is what we refer to as PPR right?

Secondly I am asked to send it to the LA office and I was wondering if anyone's situation has been like this because I would like to know how long this takes. I am not from a visa-exempt country, just in case that also matters.

I travel to Canada every 2 weeks to see my husband and I am trying to calculate the best move here. I would

hate to be without my passport for a long period of time being stuck here and not able to visit him. So I guess my question is how long does it take and would it be better (or even allowed) to just move to Canada as a visitor and tell them to return my passport to our Canadian address?

Lastly what is next? after they return my passport? COPR or actual PR?
From what I understand they normally return your passport with the PR visa in your passport and COPR by mail as well. When you land and apply for your PR card it will come later.

Mushmash

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2012
Interview........
10-12-2013
Passport Req..
25-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2014
Zarilenth said:
Although they don't need the actual passport, in my case Im from a visa exempt country and they requested photocopies the same way they request the actual passport.

Zarilenth

Oct 18, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
File Transfer...
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2014; COPR received 27-06-2014
LANDED..........
30-07-2014
Mushmash said:
Although they don't need the actual passport, in my case Im from a visa exempt country and they requested photocopies the same way they request the actual passport.
Ok, thank you!

GeeO

Star Member
Aug 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ott -> Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2012
File Transfer...
11-10-2012
Med's Request
27-01-2014
Med's Done....
14-07-2012
Interview........
07-01-2014
Passport Req..
22-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2014
LANDED..........
29-03-2014
Mushmash said:
From what I understand they normally return your passport with the PR visa in your passport and COPR by mail as well. When you land and apply for your PR card it will come later.
yes i think you are right. According to the email i received, they want me to send my passport with a return envelop. So my guess is that it would have the PR visa. What my question is really...is how long will I have to be without my passport when i send it to them. It seems like there are very few of us in this situation of not being from a visa exempt country and still applying as "US outland" apllicants

Mushmash

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2012
Interview........
10-12-2013
Passport Req..
25-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2014
GeeO said:
yes i think you are right. According to the email i received, they want me to send my passport with a return envelop. So my guess is that it would have the PR visa. What my question is really...is how long will I have to be without my passport when i send it to them. It seems like there are very few of us in this situation of not being from a visa exempt country and still applying as "US outland" apllicants
No one really knows for sure how long it takes to return the passport as everyone's case is different. There is a little data in the LA spreadsheet created by "Parker24" that dates back to 2012 and mid 2013. The data seem to indicate that more than 80% of applicants from LA receive their passports and COPR back within 1-2months so that's a little comforting. However I've been reading the CPP-Ottawa of people still waiting for 3-4months for COPR and passport.

GeeO

Star Member
Aug 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ott -> Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2012
File Transfer...
11-10-2012
Med's Request
27-01-2014
Med's Done....
14-07-2012
Interview........
07-01-2014
Passport Req..
22-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2014
LANDED..........
29-03-2014
Mushmash said:
No one really knows for sure how long it takes to return the passport as everyone's case is different. There is a little data in the LA spreadsheet created by "Parker24" that dates back to 2012 and mid 2013. The data seem to indicate that more than 80% of applicants from LA receive their passports and COPR back within 1-2months so that's a little comforting. However I've been reading the CPP-Ottawa of people still waiting for 3-4months for COPR and passport.
The LA spreadsheet I saw, seems like everyone was from a visa exempt country and they were not asking for actual original passport but photocopies, so it did not really help my case, except i did not look properly. Is there another spreadsheet that separates these cases btw visa exempt and non visa exempt all through LA office?

Also maybe this would be the best time to ask what PPR and COPR is. lol..I am getting confused.

Mushmash

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2012
Interview........
10-12-2013
Passport Req..
25-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2014
GeeO said:
The LA spreadsheet I saw, seems like everyone was from a visa exempt country and they were not asking for actual original passport but photocopies, so it did not really help my case, except i did not look properly. Is there another spreadsheet that separates these cases btw visa exempt and non visa exempt all through LA office?

Also maybe this would be the best time to ask what PPR and COPR is. lol..I am getting confused.
I don't think there is a spreadsheet that separates them. PPR is passport request, this is the letter you get when the visa office wants your passport to send COPR and finalize your application. COPR or confirmation of permanent resident, it is a paper document you get in the mail to take with you when you make your initial landing in canada.

GeeO

Star Member
Aug 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ott -> Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2012
File Transfer...
11-10-2012
Med's Request
27-01-2014
Med's Done....
14-07-2012
Interview........
07-01-2014
Passport Req..
22-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2014
LANDED..........
29-03-2014
Mushmash said:
I don't think there is a spreadsheet that separates them. PPR is passport request, this is the letter you get when the visa office wants your passport to send COPR and finalize your application. COPR or confirmation of permanent resident, it is a paper document you get in the mail to take with you when you make your initial landing in canada.
so for "PPR" is it always an actual letter in the mail or an email? I just ended up emailing them asking for a time frame, because when it comes to sending original documents like a passport, I don't believe it should be held indefinitely...its too important a document to not have an idea when you will get it back.

I also dont know if i will be getting a "COPR" after sending my passport nd it being returned...If you are right about them just needing to stamp my passport with the "PR visa" then a "COPR" seems of no use right, Ugh...that is why I need someone that has been in this exact same situation, I am tired of assuming things. lol.

Thank you so much for all your answers though...really appreciate you taking time to answer them. Hopefully they reply the email I just sent them.

Mushmash

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2012
Interview........
10-12-2013
Passport Req..
25-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2014
GeeO said:
so for "PPR" is it always an actual letter in the mail or an email? I just ended up emailing them asking for a time frame, because when it comes to sending original documents like a passport, I don't believe it should be held indefinitely...its too important a document to not have an idea when you will get it back.

I also dont know if i will be getting a "COPR" after sending my passport nd it being returned...If you are right about them just needing to stamp my passport with the "PR visa" then a "COPR" seems of no use right, Ugh...that is why I need someone that has been in this exact same situation, I am tired of assuming things. lol.

Thank you so much for all your answers though...really appreciate you taking time to answer them. Hopefully they reply the email I just sent them.
If you provided an email address then PPR comes via email. I think everyone receives a COPR whether they send their actual passports or not.

GeeO

Star Member
Aug 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ott -> Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2012
File Transfer...
11-10-2012
Med's Request
27-01-2014
Med's Done....
14-07-2012
Interview........
07-01-2014
Passport Req..
22-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2014
LANDED..........
29-03-2014
Mushmash said:
If you provided an email address then PPR comes via email. I think everyone receives a COPR whether they send their actual passports or not.
Yeah i think i just read it on their site that everyone receives a COPR...now I am still wondering it would all play out. If they will return my passport empty and tell me to just wait for PR, or if my passport will be returned with the COPR or if it will be returned with visa and....okay i'm tired, I think I should just go back to bed.

Is it possible that I am the only H1B visa person living in the US and from a non visa exempt country applying through a US visa office? I have actually searched this whole forum and I keep seeing myself or others with unanswered questions. It's really weird.

GeeO

Star Member
Aug 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ott -> Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2012
File Transfer...
11-10-2012
Med's Request
27-01-2014
Med's Done....
14-07-2012
Interview........
07-01-2014
Passport Req..
22-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2014
LANDED..........
29-03-2014
Mushmash said:
Wow google has been awesome! I just found a website called Trackitt - http://www.trackitt.com/canada-immigration-trackers/family-class , apparently i found a few cases like mine! Just a few but at least it gives me an idea. According to what i am seeing, the visa stamping is pretty much like the regular visitor visa stamping timeline, within weeks!

However the downer is that they are not making any mention of "COPR" so i'm a little worried here but I'd keep cool and hopefully CIC would reply my email. It's just exciting to see other cases like mine neatly arranged by timeline.

Mushmash

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2012
Interview........
10-12-2013
Passport Req..
25-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2014
GeeO said:
Wow google has been awesome! I just found a website called Trackitt - trackitt.com/canada-immigration-trackers/family-class , apparently i found a few cases like mine! Just a few but at least it gives me an idea. According to what i am seeing, the visa stamping is pretty much like the regular visitor visa stamping timeline, within weeks!

However the downer is that they are not making any mention of "COPR" so i'm a little worried here but I'd keep cool and hopefully CIC would reply my email. It's just exciting to see other cases like mine neatly arranged by timeline.
Great! All the best and good luck!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GeeO said:

If you provided an e-mail address with your application, the PPR (passport request letter) is usually an e-mail sent to the principal applicant (the person being sponsored). Different visa offices hold on to the passports for different lengths of time (e.g., India asks for it very early on in the process and holds on to it for months; the American offices usually just ask for it once everything is approved and ready to go so it's just a matter of mail processing time, which can be a few weeks).

If you have a trip coming up, you can always e-mail the visa office and discuss detailed logistics with them (e.g., get an extension on time for them to receive the passport, send a pre-paid courier mailing label to speed up mailing time, etc).

Every person that becomes a PR (visa exempt and not) gets a CoPR. It is a Confirmation of Permanent Residency document. The document will be stamped by the Border Officer when you land and becomes the proof that you are indeed a Canadian Permanent Resident. Once you get your PR card, store your CoPR in a safe place as you'll need it should you apply for naturalization or pension in the future.

In addition to the CoPR, persons from non-visa exempt nationalities, will receive an immigrant visa (pasted into your passport) so that they can travel to Canada to land. The visa is helpful as it can also serve as an additional identification you can use once you are in Canada to get your SIN card, driver's licence, etc.