Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Canuckluvus said:
we r landed! 2 hours to cross border to us and 15 to process landing in Canada but it is done!
Congratulations!

I know it was less than four hours between the time my COPR showed up and the time it was stamped and official at the border - like you, I wasn't willing to take any chances.

Canuckluvus

Star Member
Jan 26, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-02-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-2013
LANDED..........
14-12-2013
Canuckluvus said:
we r landed! 2 hours to cross border to us and 15 to process landing in Canada but it is done!
whoops it took 15 min to land at Canadian border not hours! My wife says it was actually 3 hours to get across the border into US from Canada. Lots of BC residents shopping in Bellingham WA today I think ....I have my NEXUS card and we are soooo applying for hers!! Lmao :) so happy to be over this.... We were told usually takes 6 weeks to get PR card by Immigration guy at Border but that it may take a little longer. Doing the happy dance! Happy Holidays everyone!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Canuckluvus said:
whoops it took 15 min to land at Canadian border not hours! My wife says it was actually 3 hours to get across the border into US from Canada. Lots of BC residents shopping in Bellingham WA today I think ....I have my NEXUS card and we are soooo applying for hers!! Lmao :) so happy to be over this.... We were told usually takes 6 weeks to get PR card by Immigration guy at Border but that it may take a little longer. Doing the happy dance! Happy Holidays everyone!
I'm surprised you didn't just park and walk through the park. Sure would have beat 3 hours waiting.

I hear you on the Nexus card: first thing I did was make my spouse get one. And being a PR has one small advantage there, as when I renewed my Nexus card earlier this year they just mailed me a new card. No interview or anything.

Canuckluvus

Star Member
Jan 26, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-02-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-2013
LANDED..........
14-12-2013
computergeek said:
I'm surprised you didn't just park and walk through the park. Sure would have beat 3 hours waiting.

I hear you on the Nexus card: first thing I did was make my spouse get one. And being a PR has one small advantage there, as when I renewed my Nexus card earlier this year they just mailed me a new card. No interview or anything.
we crossed at Pacific Highway not Peace Arch....no nice park..:(

LN13

Star Member
Dec 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-6-2015
AOR Received.
16/7/2015
File Transfer...
8/13/2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Hi!

I"m a totally newbie on the forum but I was hoping that some of you who are in process would be able to help me out with a question I have.

I'm a Canadian citizen, soon to be a dual citizen with the US. The husband is American and we are looking at moving to Canada. We're not in process yet but I'm doing the preliminary work. I've read over the guide but I"m a bit confused about processing times.

I understand that I send it to Mississauga but when I look at processing times do I look at it for that center or do I look at it for where we'd have to go for an interview if necessary? That would be New York and there is a significant difference in processing times.

I'm not overly concerned about needing an interview, to be honest. We've been married for almost 7 years and will soon have two kids together. I can send them PLENTY of documentation showing a real relationship.

Any information you could give me would be very much appreciated.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
LN13 said:
I understand that I send it to Mississauga but when I look at processing times do I look at it for that center or do I look at it for where we'd have to go for an interview if necessary? That would be New York and there is a significant difference in processing times.

I'm not overly concerned about needing an interview, to be honest. We've been married for almost 7 years and will soon have two kids together. I can send them PLENTY of documentation showing a real relationship.

Any information you could give me would be very much appreciated.
You are very unlikely to be asked for an interview - 7 years and two kids together don't look like a marriage-of-convenience. You should make sure to get your Certificate of Canadian citizenship for your children (so you can have their passports) ASAP, as that will take as long (or longer) than getting your husband his PR.

NYC and LA typically handle more complex applications, such as those that require an interview. Thus, the correct time to consider for your case is the time for CPP-O (Ottawa) as that's the visa office outside Canada that would handle your application.

Further, the open data project (http://data.gc.ca) publishes detailed information about processing times. In your case, the time of interest is the "processing time for spouse & partner) for CPP-O. The times posted are: 6/7/9/11/14 (20%/30%/50%/70%/80%). What that means is that you are likely to have a decision in 9 months or less (the 50% time) but CIC only posts the 80% time (and they only do so for spouse/partner and children, not just for spouse/partner.)

What can you do to be on the shorter time frame? Make sure your application is thorough and complete. You are unlikely to have substantial challenges to the legitimacy of your relationship so don't spend a lot of time including volumes of evidence. Focus on making sure that all the documentary evidence is present, the documents are filled out properly, the fees paid up front (notably the RPRF of $490).

Ideally, you want to hear from CIC three times:

(1) When you are approved as sponsor;
(2) When they want your husband's passport (or copy in his case);
(3) When you receive his Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

You do that by submitting a thorough, complete and well-organized application.

Good luck!

LN13

Star Member
Dec 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-6-2015
AOR Received.
16/7/2015
File Transfer...
8/13/2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Thank you for the information, that clarifies things greatly!

I've been down the government paperwork road too many times already with the US so I'm getting great at tripling checking everything and also at writing checks I'd rather be spending on other things...

The certificate of citizenship for son#1 is in process currently. Number 2 isn't due until March so there's not much I can do on that right now.

We actually have a few commitments that we have to work out here before we move so while the shorter processing time is great, it also means that we likely won't be filing until at least spring. How long do you have to move over the border once the approval is given?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
LN13 said:
We actually have a few commitments that we have to work out here before we move so while the shorter processing time is great, it also means that we likely won't be filing until at least spring. How long do you have to move over the border once the approval is given?
To move? There's no limit on moving. There is a limit on presenting the paperwork at the border and becoming a permanent resident of Canada. That limit is the expiration of the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). It is the earlier of the passport expiration date or the expiration of the medical examination (usually one year from the original examination date, but it can be extended by the visa office).

My advice: apply early. Once he has the document in hand, make a trip to the border. If you have family there in Canada, give them a family address for his PR card (CIC only mails PR cards to addresses in Canada). Technically, then you have forever to actually move to Canada.

Of course, at some point they will likely ask you for your plan to move to Canada, but by that time the application will be almost done.

A permanent resident must spend 730 days in the first five years in Canada. However, time spent outside Canada with the Canadian partner/spouse counts towards that 730 day requirement - thus, once he has that PR card, as long as you are living together anywhere you're fine.

By applying early, you take the pressure off (ergo, better to have the COPR in hand a few months early than be stressing about getting it at the last minute).

Oh, one other option to consider: if he qualifies under NAFTA (many technical/professional/managerial positions) then he could just find a NAFTA qualifying job in Canada. That also can ease the transition over the border.

NJ2Canada2013

Star Member
Dec 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
File Transfer...
26-08-2014
Med's Done....
13-11-2013
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2015
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've gotten my paperwork together, just waiting for my full marriage certificate to be sent so we can mail everything in for outland PR! I am currently still living in NJ and my husband is in Ontario. I am looking to stay with my husband as a "visitor" for months at a time. I would like to come back to NJ for short visits to see my ailing elderly father. I hope to be allowed back into Canada at the border since I won't have much back in NJ. Anyone have any experience with this issue?? I hope everyones applications are going well! I hope it is quicker than 22 months as it says from the NY office!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
NJ2Canada2013 said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've gotten my paperwork together, just waiting for my full marriage certificate to be sent so we can mail everything in for outland PR! I am currently still living in NJ and my husband is in Ontario. I am looking to stay with my husband as a "visitor" for months at a time. I would like to come back to NJ for short visits to see my ailing elderly father. I hope to be allowed back into Canada at the border since I won't have much back in NJ. Anyone have any experience with this issue?? I hope everyones applications are going well! I hope it is quicker than 22 months as it says from the NY office!
The only reason to look at the NY office is if you think your application is going to be problematic. CPP-O (the primary office for US applicants) normally only forwards problematic cases to NYC or LA. Is there something complicated about your application that makes you think it will require special processing?

I've seldom heard of US applicants being refused entry at the border with a PR application in process. It's theoretically possible, but not very likely (and US citizens have the unique ability to ask for a special kind of entry permit if they are refused - no other foreign national is permitted to do so. I've explained this process numerous times but I've never heard of anyone being forced to use it.)

Perhaps you have some sort of prior criminality issue? That would explain why you might think your application would be referred to NYC.

NJ2Canada2013

Star Member
Dec 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
File Transfer...
26-08-2014
Med's Done....
13-11-2013
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2015
I actually just thought that is where it automatically went. I am still waiting on my background information. I do have one history of arrest for misdemeanor that was dismissed and have the paperwork to prove it was dismissed. Not sure if that would affect my application or not. We are still waiting to send everything in, hoping by the end of December or beginning of January. I am looking to visit for an extended time by end of April when my lease is up on my apartment. However as I've mentioned I'd like to visit my father every couple of months back in the US. I will keep my mother's address in NJ to show proof of ties to US. Maybe I will request a visitors permit record when I go. Thank you for your answer!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
NJ2Canada2013 said:
I actually just thought that is where it automatically went. I am still waiting on my background information. I do have one history of arrest for misdemeanor that was dismissed and have the paperwork to prove it was dismissed. Not sure if that would affect my application or not. We are still waiting to send everything in, hoping by the end of December or beginning of January. I am looking to visit for an extended time by end of April when my lease is up on my apartment. However as I've mentioned I'd like to visit my father every couple of months back in the US. I will keep my mother's address in NJ to show proof of ties to US. Maybe I will request a visitors permit record when I go. Thank you for your answer!
It automatically goes to Ottawa (the "visa office outside Canada" that handles applications for US Citizens). Ottawa may choose to forward it to NYC or LA (at their discretion).

My advice: spend the $50 and get a Nexus card. That will make crossing the US/Canada border MUCH easier plus it also gives you access to dedicated Nexus security lanes at Canadian airports and TSA Pre-Check at many US airports. Nexus is a pre-clearance program that requires you be screened and approved by both the US and Canadian governments, but it provides for easy border crossing.

NJ2Canada2013

Star Member
Dec 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
File Transfer...
26-08-2014
Med's Done....
13-11-2013
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2015
Ok thank you. I will look into the Nexus card.

NJ2Canada2013

Star Member
Dec 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
File Transfer...
26-08-2014
Med's Done....
13-11-2013
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2015
I'm still in the process of getting all our paperwork together before we send out our outland application. I'm leaving my apartment at the end of the lease and going to try to go to Canada to stay with my husband. As of right now my application has my current address. I'm going to use my mother's address as my US address, do I need to change my application to my mother's US address or do I put my husband Canadian address even though I'm not allowed to technically move up there but I am able to be a visitor. Any ideas?

chala

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
File Transfer...
25-04-2013
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2013 ext till 2015
Interview........
Aug 5-2014 passed
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2014
LANDED..........
Dec 8, 2014
NJ2Canada2013 said:
I'm still in the process of getting all our paperwork together before we send out our outland application. I'm leaving my apartment at the end of the lease and going to try to go to Canada to stay with my husband. As of right now my application has my current address. I'm going to use my mother's address as my US address, do I need to change my application to my mother's US address or do I put my husband Canadian address even though I'm not allowed to technically move up there but I am able to be a visitor. Any ideas?
You can use your husband's address in Canada. It's what we did as she is living here with me as a visitor which is what you plan to do. It wasn't an issue with CIC.